Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nobody I'm interviewing with has asked me for my GitHub. Which is different than when I went looking like 5 years ago.

as someone that has been an interviewer I don't count it as a negative if they don't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am long past "no tech experience" but having been in the market again recently I wish I at least kept some portfolio style thing with screenshots/videos of the products I worked on and made a little writeup about my role.

In part because I just plain forgot the really meaty relevant details that would be good for a "tell me about a time you did xyz" interview question and it'd be a good reference just for me.

But also because in one case the company is now just plain defunct, and in others the app has been completely redesigned since I worked on it and the features I had a part of have been either redone or axed, so I couldn't show it off even if I wanted to.

I'm wanting to quit my job because they're already planning to rip out my native mobile work and replace it with webviews, so I already know right out of the gates I need to gather up as much screenshots and such as I can and do that writeup before it's all wiped out

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CPColin posted:

I made a portfolio when I got laid off from Experts Exchange, but that was because I had ten years of experience with nothing I was allowed to show for it. I was absolutely privileged to be able to do so, with unemployment insurance that covered the bills plus ten weeks of severance. I've been hired twice since then and I doubt either place actually looked at my portfolio.

I was going to comment on this... I spent about 4X longer on a resume review yesterday than I usually do because I couldn't tell if I was being too picky or not. Basically backend position but the candidate:

o Only had esoteric languages for backend work (Scala and Clojure while we're a C# shop)
o Had less total experience than what we typically look for in the role
o Had a lot of experience of scalable systems with billions of transactions
o Had a prominent Github link but the only thing on it was 6 year old homework assignments (A cloned repo of a learn Scala course)

I decided we'd move forward with the resume, but it took a lot of time to reach the decision and honestly the github there was a negative. If you're not going to maintain your portfolio or github link don't invite people to look at it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

nobody I'm interviewing with has asked me for my GitHub. Which is different than when I went looking like 5 years ago.

as someone that has been an interviewer I don't count it as a negative if they don't have one
Same. That said out of the hundreds of cvs ive seen maybe 3 had a GitHub link anyway.

When I first went self-employed I added a 'portfolio' to my company website but webstats said no-one ever looked at it so I stopped maintaining it. Looking at it now 10+ years on it doesn't even load because it was done with an ancient jQuery and all the companies have shut up shop anyway lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hughlander posted:

If you're not going to maintain your portfolio or github link don't invite people to look at it.

Agreed. I just went through my GitHub and archived all the poo poo I have no intention of coming back to and that leaves things looking pretty empty. If I had a long stretch of unemployment again, I'd definitely put something new on there before linking people to it. Also because my style has changed a lot since I was last on the job hunt.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

in preparation for my first junior position job hunt I spent like 2 months writing a C#/windows forms project that would go through all your pirated tv shows and organize/rename them nicely. i also included a link to a joke web site i knocked together in an afternoon that autoplayed music and had 1990s marquees and animated gifs everywhere that told you how many pizzas to order for your pizza party. the pizza web site got me an interview at a c# shop and i don't think anyone ever looked at the tv thing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I put a link to my github page in my resume/applications but nobody has ever commented on it.

For the most part it's a bunch of half-finished things I wrote to fill an immediate need and then abandoned so it's not really a great indication of my ability to comprehensively manage SDLC or whatever (or maybe it is).

That being said everything on there is published under a pseudonym because my real name is globally unique and I don't like to add more Google footprint than necessary.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 8, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

all the more reason to code for your own pleasure if you are gonna do it and not get paid

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I put a link to my github page in my resume
That being said everything on there is published under a pseudonym because my real name is globally unique and I don't like to add more Google footprint than necessary.

You created the google footprint yourself...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
CarForumPoster already got piled on, but I am gonna add my own view anyway.

So, I have significant GitHub and general community (talks at confs, technical blog, standardization involvement, ...) presence. Significant enough that for 2 out of 3 last jobs, I've skipped the early interview rounds.

I didn't get there by not being privileged, but the exact opposite. My biggest problem during uni was that I stopped liking spending so much time playing games, and had to do something different with my free time. So I started teaching... and to support that I needed some libraries and well, two years later I was the sole maintainer of a pretty well known and used OSS library. Then things kinda snowballed from there. :shrug:

If I was less privileged, say if I had to care for relatives, or already make money to feed myself and siblings, or any of the thousands things that can happen, I wouldn't have this portfolio, because it would be the first thing to throw away.

So, let me ask again. What makes you think that the people without portfolio are privileged?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the last time i wrote code for fun was about a year ago. i wrote an audio plugin. i didn't open source it, though. maybe i should do that just so i can put something recent-ish in the projects section of my resume. maybe one day

i used to be 'active'-ish in the infosec community with conference talks and interesting projects and stuff. then i got hired by google and just straight _stopped_ lol (except for that audio plugin). google didnt make me stop or make participation hard or anything, i guess it's more that once i got that line item on my resume i figure the other stuff isn't as necessary? actually it's probably just my kid getting older and having less time for that sort of thing because i'd rather do stuff with him than program computers

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 8, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

the last time i wrote code for fun was about a year ago. i wrote an audio plugin. i didn't open source it, though. maybe i should do that just so i can put something recent-ish in the projects section of my resume. maybe one day

you don't need to open-source it for it to count as work you did, or even to share the code.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

true but just mashing "make repo public" is by far the easiest thing to do for that sort of thing. i guess just saying "no you can't have the source" is easiest but 🤷‍♀️

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i work at a thing where we do open source poo poo all day every day for the main product (agpl to persuade peeps w lawyers to dump cash for the non agpl license) and we still dont have a hard req on open source dealios

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i work at a thing where we do open source poo poo all day every day for the main product (agpl to persuade peeps w lawyers to dump cash for the non agpl license) and we still dont have a hard req on open source dealios

I work at a similar place and while I'm not involved in hiring much, I'm pretty sure we have a similar thing. a Github can be helpful but we don't penalize for not having one

iirc even if you've contributed to the project before the most it gets you is a pass on the recruiter screen, still gotta do all the regular interviews.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My current job has all the code on Github under private repos.

Figured we would at least give everyone the benefit of showing activity on Github on their personal accounts.

Funny though, when I first joined they made me use the company email to contribute to the repo. And they wanted the same thing for a new hrie starting this week. I forced the issue to allow personal emails again but it is an odd thing to try to force a company email onto Github.

Management here are absolute ghouls though so it isn't surprising.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i used to be 'active'-ish in the infosec community with conference talks and interesting projects and stuff. then i got hired by google and just straight _stopped_ lol (except for that audio plugin). google didnt make me stop or make participation hard or anything, i guess it's more that once i got that line item on my resume i figure the other stuff isn't as necessary? actually it's probably just my kid getting older and having less time for that sort of thing because i'd rather do stuff with him than program computers
hah i remember when you and I talked a couple years ago because i coincidently applied at a place you were at and serendipitously were able to figure it out. nice to see you moved on to biggie figgies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

use "machine learning" to determine the "funniest" ranking and send weekly reports during the season to spencer hall and jason kirk please

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwelcome

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

I just mention in my interests that I hobby code a ton. Interviewers never really ask about it but it's super cool when they do, and then I have to be careful not to monolog at them for an hour.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Truman Peyote posted:

I don't think anyone is saying a candidate should not make a github. they're saying an interview should not require it.

This is a fair thing to say.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

true but just mashing "make repo public" is by far the easiest thing to do for that sort of thing. i guess just saying "no you can't have the source" is easiest but 🤷‍♀️

the term “open source” typically implies a grant of rights, but just making a repo public doesn’t do that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's true

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GitHub can add a license file to your repo in like two clicks

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

maybe i'm not getting the joke, but yes i know how all this works. y'all are doing some serious mansplaining

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Fool posted:

GitHub can add a license file to your repo in like two clicks

a license no one will read until a major private enterprise notices it deep down in their project and now need to replace your functionality

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

hah i remember when you and I talked a couple years ago because i coincidently applied at a place you were at and serendipitously were able to figure it out. nice to see you moved on to biggie figgies

: D Thanks! Now my big life project is leaving the bay area while preserving figgies (and, preferably, without switching jobs). We'll see how it goes :ohdear:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

how much is it, in terms of base salary, to live in the bay area comfortably as one person now a days? this is like the only place i actually have to get to ask someone who is doing it and I'm always curious to hear practical actual data points from people livin it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was livin quite comfy at 120k total comp single person. get paid double that nowadays but 50k of that is options (priced at strike, not the valuation and ignoring cost to exercise)

the land prices are the main thing thats nuts so nonsingle and w family goes up very nonlinearly

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 9, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KoRMaK posted:

how much is it, in terms of base salary, to live in the bay area comfortably as one person now a days? this is like the only place i actually have to get to ask someone who is doing it and I'm always curious to hear practical actual data points from people livin it.

What do you consider living comfortably?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

What do you consider living comfortably?
whatever whoever is answering thinks it is to them

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The biggest variance is housing from around $1.5k for a room to $2.5k to 4k+ for an apartment. I think prices have dropped, but I would expect them to start rising if not now then by the time you have to sign for year 2.

I know several people who are living comfortably on $50k takehome which would be around 100k to max a 401k and 130ish to max after tax. These people are in $1.5k shared apartment housing situation so ymmv.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, my buddy from grad school could live comfortably in sf on a postdoc salary cuz his aunt gave him a studio apartment for 100/mo. versus my coworker who was struggling in a 4 room house for 5k/ mo on 140k/yr

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Is anyone familiar with working in SF vs working in New York or Boston? I don't understand how a company can justify paying 2x everywhere else to have offices in the bay, do they actually grind everyone to dust out there, or is the talent pool just through the roof?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TimWinter posted:

Is anyone familiar with working in SF vs working in New York or Boston? I don't understand how a company can justify paying 2x everywhere else to have offices in the bay, do they actually grind everyone to dust out there, or is the talent pool just through the roof?

Housing costs are through the roof.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TimWinter posted:

from what I understand: yes

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I just had a screening call with Mindgeek for a PHP dev position and HR said "I can't tell you what my ranges are cause then you'll just ask for whatever whereas the offer should be based on what you're currently making" lol

I convinced her to send me the take home assignment without giving a number.

What is Mindgeek currently paying for 3-5 yoe though? Glassdoor says average $75k with outliers at $110k which seems way low to me. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could not pay me enough to work on php

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PHP means "pretty huge penis" at mindgeek so make sure you know what you're getting into

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea i would strongly encourage you to pass on any php job, not just for your immediate mental health but also it seems to be a deadend career wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

You'd think with all that money gained from the sexual exploitation of children they could afford to pay their devs a bit more.

Besides that, PHP and the recruiter trying to screw you on salary out of the gate? I'd pass.