Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I actually prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas, which I understand is a heretical position. I just prefer the DC setting to the Mojave. Look I'm not the bad guy here, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

I actually prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas, which I understand is a heretical position. I just prefer the DC setting to the Mojave. Look I'm not the bad guy here, ok?

josh sawyer is PMing the nuclear launch codes to jeffrey right now because you made this post

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best thing about the Fallout DLCs, both games, is that they have no DRM and are plain ol esm/bsp files essentially like mods for their own game, so you can just copy and paste them from anywhere you want and give Bethesda exactly as much money as they deserve for the effort they put into em

There is one of these games whose DLC you should do this for and one whose DLC you should not. I will let you make the moral judgment here.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hedgehog Pie posted:

For the record, I don't dislike most of the F3 DLC just because it's Bethesda. There's quite a lot I like in F3, Skyrim, etc even if it sometimes seems like I'm the only one who does like a certain thing in those games... like the metro system in F3, I love how it's all connected together and how it's actually a decent depiction of the real life system.

Mothership Zeta still sucks though.

I love how fans of Fallout 3 always show their insanity before long.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hedgehog Pie posted:

For the record, I don't dislike most of the F3 DLC just because it's Bethesda. There's quite a lot I like in F3, Skyrim, etc even if it sometimes seems like I'm the only one who does like a certain thing in those games... like the metro system in F3, I love how it's all connected together and how it's actually a decent depiction of the real life system.

Mothership Zeta still sucks though.

I mean, I never found the audio logs that people are mad about and Mothership Zeta was still my least favorite of the F3 DLC. It just isn't all that well put together or interesting

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CJacobs posted:

josh sawyer is PMing the nuclear launch codes to jeffrey right now because you made this post

I don't care, I'll challenge him to a fist fight (and then not show up because I'm scared)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Phigs posted:

I love how fans of Fallout 3 always show their insanity before long.

They got the distinctive station ceilings just right!!!

I also like Moira and the Paradise Falls quest, though those are pretty not as controversial Fallout 3 takes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well jeez guys I might as well not say how I feel about the latter 3 DLCs if ya'll are just gonna beat me to the punch!!!

bony tony posted:

The plot of Broken Steel is really dumb too. It's like if you watched Star Wars IV, and after destroying the Death Star the rebels had to take care of a smaller, unrelated Empire base somewhere else. It gives you a good lore reason for where the Prydwen came from, but that's it.

Yeah I'm left scratching my head. Maybe I missed something, but how exactly did the Enclave set up a giant sandcrawler death tank in the middle of DC without anyone noticing? Liberty Prime had to get blown up to figure out the mystery of where all these Enclave attacks were coming from? The actual final assault is sort-of neat (I'm often a sucker for airport raids) but boo hiss at all the unreachable turrets. Granted, they at least give you a make turrets go away button as part of the quest, but still boo hiss. Also maybe Fallout 3 didn't need a giant mile wide area that most sharply displays how godawful the movement speed is.

JackSplater posted:

That's one way to look at it, although there's a whole lot less to do in it. And the DLC-enemies-get-ridiculous-bonuses is out in full force in it.

My exact thoughts and I didn't even have to post them. Could've really done without the Redneck Rampage bullshit and doubly so when they're ridiculous damage sponges and can slap me around straight through the best power armor in the game. The Swamplurk Queens are also garbage enemies that feel unfinished; they're glorified turrets with zero AI. The stakes were also so small and indistinct and I wonder if maybe they were playing with the idea of Desmond's whole "Great Game" thing acting as a sequel hook. I did like the twist of "oh boy another weird cult, what mystical mumbo jumbo are they...oh, a brain in a jar, that's new!". And the drug trip sequence is legit really good. They seem to have a knack for those - the vault where something similar happens was also very well done.

Unsurprisingly, it ended up being my favorite simply because it was the most robust DLC. Decent exploration, decent quests, decent characters. Nothing revolutionary, just solid stuff. The Chinese spy quest in particular was a fun bit of intrigue.

Also I only realized as I was buying the boat ticket that Bethesda has made taking a boat trip to a nearby-yet-distant-place a weird little hallmark of theirs.

bony tony posted:

It's also a DLC full of boring samey corridors where you use two kinds of guns to kill two types of bullet-sponge enemies who aren't interesting, and in the end you get tons of items that circumvent game systems (super weapon repair gel, super healing items, and ammo for your overpowered alien blasters).

I don't mind the idea of one last silly hurrah that lets you break open the game as the final DLC. (And frankly by the time I got to it I was sick of maintaining my gear so sure gimme the alien glue.) But yes, Mothership Zeta's biggest flaw is that it's loving endless. It has about 3 gameplay ideas and then makes you do them over and over for the next hour or two. The aliens also suck because I'm pretty sure they're using the same weird HP ranges that Super Mutants have, except those have distinct ranks and visuals. So about 1/3 of the aliens just randomly have 1000 HP because gently caress you. I ended up switching to Jack, a weapon I only kept around to basically cheat my way through anything I was sick of fighting, and went on a glorious xeno purge. I was also expecting there to be some kind of twist with the little girl but there just...isn't. Fighting off the alien ship was a fun little cap off to the experience but by the end I was very much done with it all.

In general it feels like either they were waaaay too in love with the game's combat or shrewdly knew they could pad out the playtime with it. (Or I guess the most depressing third option, literally did not realize how bloated the combat is at high levels.) Point Lookout mostly avoided this, but even then you have the mansion raid. The first two DLCs were annoyingly short, but I guess at least they weren't crazy padded.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:12 on May 10, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Byzantine posted:

Zeta didn’t retcon the war to have been caused by aliens. Everybody just decided it did because they’re Mad At Bethesda I guess? But it’s not in the text, it’s not in cut content. It never happened.

A lot of people all came away with the same impression so I think it's something they wanted to at least suggest as an Easter egg, but retcon is a bit strong. For anyone who hasn't read it:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One part I'm really struggling with in RE8 is trying to escape the reservoir while your blob friend Moreau tries to eat you. The non-spoilery gist is that it's a setpiece where you're trying to escape a monster by setting up yourself walkways to move. It's a neat idea, but I'm running into so many instadeaths even when I'm trying to watch and time the monster's pattern, it feels like there's just a constant coin flip going on and I die regardless of what I'm doing if it comes up wrong. It's very frustrating, my deaths here have already well outpaced the rest of the game as a whole.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm sorry for your luck. I got through that sequence without any deaths at all. I thought you couldn't die, and it was all theatre to make you feel you could.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I kinda feel bad complaining about it. I finally beat it and it's a legit fun setpiece idea, I feel like I just fell into a weird unintended failure cycle.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Point Lookout was my favourite, if only because it was something a bit different. It still might not be better than the worst NV DLC. My only memories of The Pitt are that it was just depressing to look at, so much grey and brown. Broken Steel added in some good stuff, but indeed the beefed up super enemies are a massive turnoff; I liked the concepts of some of the new dungeons, but in practice they were just clusters of said beefed up super enemies and weren't fun to play at all. I concur entirely with your thoughts on Operation Anchorage.

you took the words outta my mouth tbh

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I think I posted in this thread before about how Yakuza games go to poo poo whenever guns are introduced and finishing Yakuza 4 has only confirmed this view.

First of all there's the unbelievable bullshit of Saejima thinking he'd killed 18 men but was actually given rubber bullets. I know it's a video game where you have to accept that all the brutal heat moves you pull aren't killing at least some of the people you fight, but that? As a central plot point? loving Hell. How does getting shot in the chest with a riot control round knock 18 dudes out cold, not incapacitated, out cold, for a plot-convenient length of time and how does Saejima not notice that nobody is bleeding? Gunshot wounds tend to bleed a lot! Even if you wave it away with the fact that Saejima is a young Yakuza who trusts his bosses, Munakata later pulls the same poo poo on Arai, no stranger to murder and guns, and even in the cutscene where Arai shoots Munakata it's so obvious that he hasn't killed or even wounded him. Seriously, nobody in this series can make sure that an antagonist is actually dead.
Then the showdown on the Millennium Tower... urgh, with Munakata at the mercy of the protagonists, Arai dramatically says that Munakata doesn't deserve death and throws his gun down... in the direction of Munakata... then everyone turns their backs on Munakata. Seriously? Adam Jensen gets endless poo poo for letting Zhao sneak behind him in one cutscene but this is next level. So after Akiyama gets away with being shot, Tanimura handcuffs Munakata, with his hands in front of him, then they leave him alone with the loaded gun AGAAAAAIN and he shoots himself. I mean, what? What? Four of Kamorucho's best, including Kiryu 'Superman' Kazuma and an actual cop and they're making this kind of botch? Nah, even knowing that Yakuza is insane I was totally taken out of it. I like the games and I actively want to suspend my disbelief but I couldn't. Someone having magic powers would have been less jarring.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 17:05 on May 11, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Almost every roguelike I've played is fairly kind on health refills; you'll struggle to come back from a really tough fight that knocked you on your rear end, but just being thorough will give you the health refills needed to patch up damage from inevitable bad clashes before you really have a game plan in motion. Which is useful, because you want to be in top shape when you hit the stuff that's ACTUALLY a problem.

I say 'almost every', because Hades decided to make proper health refills a luxury that you can often not afford. Either they cost a pretty loving penny in shops to get a single heal, or you give up something else that's often vital for getting your main toolset online for (probably insufficient) inherent healing. In most other games that wouldn't be so bad, but Hades' big roadblocks and progression landmarks aren't randomly generated; you very specifically have to deal with one of the Furies, and then the Bone Hydra, and then Theseus and Asterius, and then Hades himself.

Those are very established fights, that you'll want to get to and put in appreciable practice to understand... but often you won't even get to them. And not because of an interesting thing like randomly-generated rooms throwing you curveballs; no, you're going to fall in most runs because you got chipped too many times, and the game provided no real means to heal up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As you get better at the game and learn enemy attacks this should become less of an issue. As someone who is Bad at video games I shared similar feelings but at this point I can get at least to Theseus and Asterius virtually 100% of the time.

Buying the fountain upgrade, grabbing centaur hearts, and investing in either of the regeneration mirror talents (Cthonic for small but reliable heals, Dark for burst healing) also go a long way toward this. Also give nectar to Dusa unlocks her trinket which allows healing items to spawn in pots a certain % of the time.

Failing that there's also God Mode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

I think I posted in this thread before about how Yakuza games go to poo poo whenever guns are introduced and finishing Yakuza 4 has only confirmed this view.

i've held forth on yakuza 4 a lot in the last couple months, and one point i try to emphasize is this - if, when writing a story, you find that your own characters are remarking on how stupid, implausible, or exhausting the story is, that's the creative equivalent of an SOS. it's your brain telling you in its roundabout way that your plot just doesn't work

unfortunately the writing team wasn't willing or able to heed the warnings

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I say 'almost every', because Hades decided to make proper health refills a luxury that you can often not afford. Either they cost a pretty loving penny in shops to get a single heal, or you give up something else that's often vital for getting your main toolset online for (probably insufficient) inherent healing. In most other games that wouldn't be so bad, but Hades' big roadblocks and progression landmarks aren't randomly generated; you very specifically have to deal with one of the Furies, and then the Bone Hydra, and then Theseus and Asterius, and then Hades himself.

Those are very established fights, that you'll want to get to and put in appreciable practice to understand... but often you won't even get to them. And not because of an interesting thing like randomly-generated rooms throwing you curveballs; no, you're going to fall in most runs because you got chipped too many times, and the game provided no real means to heal up.

You might like the mirror talent Dark Regeneration for a bigger heal over Chthonic Vitality's drip feed per room. Or the mirror talent Stubborn Defiance that gives you one weaker Death Defiance per room rather than a stock of three for the whole run.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Buying the fountain upgrade, grabbing centaur hearts, and investing in either of the regeneration mirror talents (Cthonic for small but reliable heals, Dark for burst healing) also go a long way toward this. Also give nectar to Dusa unlocks her trinket which allows healing items to spawn in pots a certain % of the time.

Also give nectar to Dusa because she is good and deserves it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also give nectar to Dusa because she is good and deserves it.

Everyone that isn't best boy Cerberus is a waste if my time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vic posted:

Yes please more about the burdens of motherhood

You play a pregnant woman and the DualSense haptics let you feel the baby turning and kicking.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

christmas boots posted:

As you get better at the game and learn enemy attacks this should become less of an issue. As someone who is Bad at video games I shared similar feelings but at this point I can get at least to Theseus and Asterius virtually 100% of the time.

Failing that there's also God Mode.

Yeah, I've done almost all of this (I haven't nabbed the cthonic heal yet) and it's still not enough. Especially since I had to give up Dusa's trinket in exchange for consistency in getting the boons I know I can actually use to face up against Theseus and Hades. I still get clipped near to death in Elysium, because I just can't dodge that well.

Dusa's trinket feels like it should just be the default way the game works. Not only does it give struggling runs a chance and let you patch up from bad clashes, it also gives actual purpose to all that pottery hanging around the place.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I've done almost all of this (I haven't nabbed the cthonic heal yet) and it's still not enough. Especially since I had to give up Dusa's trinket in exchange for consistency in getting the boons I know I can actually use to face up against Theseus and Hades. I still get clipped near to death in Elysium, because I just can't dodge that well.

Dusa's trinket feels like it should just be the default way the game works. Not only does it give struggling runs a chance and let you patch up from bad clashes, it also gives actual purpose to all that pottery hanging around the place.

Just build for lightning rod (artemis/Zeus dual skill), it trivializes literally everything.

As far as bad game things, ni no kuni has literally the worst rpg battle system I've ever run into. The AI for whichever teammates you aren't controlling are awful and actively get in the way. They stand in AoE attacks and won't ever use defend commands, and the tactics are terrible. "Keep us healed" apparently means "blow all your mana on an evasion buff you cast 5 times in a row then try to punch the boss instead of sending out your physically damaging familiar with better defense". It's so bad I barely noticed the game design was awful too. Pretty much all running back and forth between the same couple towns after getting 5 drops from the local trash mobs. It was such a disappointment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mmj posted:

Just build for lightning rod (artemis/Zeus dual skill), it trivializes literally everything.

I'll keep it in mind since Zeus is the lynchpin of my game plan (Zeus Shield and his Special boon just melts things), but typically that game plan deprioritizes Cast, so it'll be a little weird.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Cleretic posted:

I'll keep it in mind since Zeus is the lynchpin of my game plan (Zeus Shield and his Special boon just melts things), but typically that game plan deprioritizes Cast, so it'll be a little weird.

The cast doesn't matter, it's the stones sitting on the ground afterwards that do. The ideal is the demeter crystal cast though, it lets you control exactly where the stones spawn when they go away. Seriously though even the basic cast is fine, just try to miss so the stones appear faster, then just run away while the enemies die off, no need to find heals if they can't hurt you

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

You play a pregnant woman and the DualSense haptics let you feel the baby turning and kicking.

So...the latest Amnesia game?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Lobok posted:

Death Stranding?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
A bit late to Fallout 3 DLC chat, but I think an important thing to remember is that by the time fallout 3 had released, let alone all of its DLC, Bethesda had made Shivering Isles. One of the few DLC releases that, to this day, people will stop and talk about how good it was despite the insane number of flaws Oblivion had. Shivering Isles was real good and cool. Despite 3's flaws, there was always kind of the hope that maybe they'd pull it off again. And instead you get Operation Anchorage. And any hope dashed when the last one released was Mothership Zeta, which took a silly but cool gimmick (the alien guns some people literally never even saw) and tried to make an entire DLC out of it.

Then for years after people kept saying The Pitt was actually the secret good one because it offered you the morally grey choice of...stealing and murdering a baby to cure a disease?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Pitt baby choice is so emblematic of the "moral" choices your character can make in Fallout 3. Megaton: Do you want to save a town or nuke a town? The main quest: Do you want to save the wasteland or make everyone who isn't an Enclave member die? There's no depth, just extremes, and it doesn't feel like it means anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The harold choice was one of the more standout ones. Harold begs for death and you can either force him to live on forever, force him to live on forever but with the tree growing faster, kill him mercifully, or kill him horribly by setting him on fire.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hmm. Playing Dragon Age: Origins and not a fan of how this sidequest rolled out. At Redcliffe there's a woman caught working a lovely job at a local tavern with no real means of escaping, just forever looking at a life getting paid trash wages while being harassed by her lovely creep of a boss. I promised her I'd help her get out of it after we fended off the zombie hoard for that night. So after the zombie raid, I stripped the dead bodies of the entire local milita of their arms and armour, went to the tavern, sold it all to the lovely boss, then gave his money what I earned from scavenged equipment to pay for the woman to go off and start a new life.

Only Morrigan gets annoyed with me because I've "given away all our money" and I lose influence with her.

What the hell, Morrigan. Do you not appreciate this excellent swindle?!

(I am just spoiled by how reactive Disco Elysium was and am now disappointed by older games)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sally posted:

Hmm. Playing Dragon Age: Origins and not a fan of how this sidequest rolled out. At Redcliffe there's a woman caught working a lovely job at a local tavern with no real means of escaping, just forever looking at a life getting paid trash wages while being harassed by her lovely creep of a boss. I promised her I'd help her get out of it after we fended off the zombie hoard for that night. So after the zombie raid, I stripped the dead bodies of the entire local milita of their arms and armour, went to the tavern, sold it all to the lovely boss, then gave his money what I earned from scavenged equipment to pay for the woman to go off and start a new life.

Only Morrigan gets annoyed with me because I've "given away all our money" and I lose influence with her.

(I am just spoiled by how reactive Disco Elysium was and am now disappointed by older games)

Morrigan just hates it when you do anything nice for people. Alistair hates it when you do anything fun. The only good companions are Dog, Shale and Sten.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Morrigan just hates it when you do anything nice for people. Alistair hates it when you do anything fun. The only good companions are Dog, Shale and Sten.

morrigan is a libertarian because she grew up in a bog swamp and doesn't like that other people get to live in a society

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Morrigan's also pretty naive and tries to cover up for that with cynicism.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bony tony posted:

The Pitt baby choice is so emblematic of the "moral" choices your character can make in Fallout 3. Megaton: Do you want to save a town or nuke a town? The main quest: Do you want to save the wasteland or make everyone who isn't an Enclave member die? There's no depth, just extremes, and it doesn't feel like it means anything.

I actually think the Pitt one stands out from the rest specifically because it tries too hard to be deep and clever and fails miserably as a result. Just like the Institute in 4, it's pretty much impossible to convince me that slavery is morally justifiable sometimes and any attempt to do so reads as manipulative and contrived. Even the perk you get for finishing the DLC says something like "cool, you're more resistant to radiation now....BUT AT WHAT COST????" lmao gently caress off.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Sally posted:

I just convinced the barman to help defend the town. He died a hero, the girl got the bar, and everyone was happy!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Nuebot posted:

A bit late to Fallout 3 DLC chat, but I think an important thing to remember is that by the time fallout 3 had released, let alone all of its DLC, Bethesda had made Shivering Isles. One of the few DLC releases that, to this day, people will stop and talk about how good it was despite the insane number of flaws Oblivion had. Shivering Isles was real good and cool.
While I do think Shivering Isles was pretty good, I think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that it was still the very early days of DLC and people were a bit wary that Expensions were dead and would be replaced with much smaller "nickel and dime" DLC bits. Shivering Isle was good, but more importantly it was reassuring.

Maybe I got my chronology wrong, but that's how I remember the Oblivion days.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The final boss for Monster Hunter Iceborne is a two stage fight. The first phase is incredibly slow and boring and you have to whittle through a massive HP pool to get to the second phase.

The second phase is much more fun but also way harder. If you fail on the second part you have to do the entire fight again which means another 10-15 minutes of boring crap before the fun actually begins.

The boss also spams like a motherfucker. He used his massive hyper beam attack five times in a row.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CordlessPen posted:

While I do think Shivering Isles was pretty good, I think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that it was still the very early days of DLC and people were a bit wary that Expensions were dead and would be replaced with much smaller "nickel and dime" DLC bits. Shivering Isle was good, but more importantly it was reassuring.

Maybe I got my chronology wrong, but that's how I remember the Oblivion days.

It came out after Horse Armor which was terrible and shouldn't exist

*Buys $1000 in LoL skins*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

It came out after Horse Armor which was terrible and shouldn't exist

*Buys $1000 in LoL skins*

Skins in singleplayer is dumb as hell, because who cares.
Skins in multiplayer games are fun because you can show them off to friends, more quickly recognize friends in a fray and/or recognize common enemies that you meet often (depending on the game and circumstance) so that leads to a feeling of community and breaks up the scene from 100k grey mooks into 90k mooks and 10k glittery pink whales