Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Control Volume posted:

No one ever talks about why the concept of eating unfertilized eggs is ethically abhorrent, even though it would be really interesting and probably funny to watch

What are you talking about, egg eating is a super common debate topic re: veganism and diets. It's part of the whole reason we even bother differentiating between veganism and (lacto/ovo) vegetarianism lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

just popping in to say that climate change as a reason to be a vegan is dumb poo poo and no choice you make w/r/t your diet will have even the slightest impact on the impeding climate disaster

anyway give me a large dave's double with extra bacon and a diet coke please

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

still dont get what being vegan has to do with being a leftist

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

sounds good, please keep us updated

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

still don’t get what being vegan has to do with being a leftist

Promoting ethical consumption and sustainability as a political platform seems like it has a lot do with leftism. emancipation of all life and the generations thereafter. And as a personal choice, it's important to be a good role model because otherwise noone will take you seriously. But maybe youre one of the folks that think Joe Biden is a feminist because he says he is, even though hes also a rapist.

Like, how do you define leftism if you don't think any of that can be a part of a radical movement?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mayor Dave posted:

My brother worked on a dairy farm for a while and he says that the mothers would chase the truck when they loaded the newborns up

It's incredibly sad, calves are often ripped away from the mothers after birth. In some videos you'll see them mouthing on the metal trying to find a way to get milk from their mothers.

The slaughterhouse industry also has an extremely high rate of PTSD and are often staffed with very abused migrant labor.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oolb posted:

I'm VEGAN! AND! I agree with the OP.

I have been harshly discriminated against my entire life. This is the basis for the choice. I know what it's like to be treated without dignity and to constantly live in fear and pain. And my experience is not even moderately comparable to what farm animals experience.

I don't know how anyone in good conscience can be treated so brutally, and then turn around and do the exact same thing to another creature. Non-vegan leftists totally shatter my faith in humanity. When presented with the hard evidence of untold amounts of suffering we put animals through, the response never recognizes the severity of the moral crisis, but is instead a lot like a drug-addict trying to rationalize their addiction.

Calling me privileged. Get the gently caress out of here. I'm poor as gently caress and so low socially its insane. It's honestly loving disgusting how often I see social-justice type language repurposed to justify atrocities.

If nothing matters, if you aren't willing to take ANY steps to fight this problem, then why not just indulge in what you obviously believe deep down? This is why the right will win, and is winning: because they have an actual philosophy. A brutal, anti-egalitarian one built on the most primitive parts of the human brain, but one which is cohesive - as opposed to the one most so-called leftists have, which is that exact same philosophy but, where it is shameful, some flimsy adjustments.

Imagine telling this to any aboriginal person. Their entire physiology is being destroyed by the extremes of the westernised food system. Like 1/3 of aboriginal people end up on dialysis. Its genocide by any other name. Its happened many times before. Just lammo at vegans.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

quite shocking that dietary changes are the only lifestyle changes that some goons are willing to make in order to be True Leftists

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kindest Forums User posted:

Promoting ethical consumption and sustainability as a political platform seems like it has a lot do with leftism. emancipation of all life and the generations thereafter. And as a personal choice, it's important to be a good role model because otherwise noone will take you seriously. But maybe youre one of the folks that think Joe Biden is a feminist because he says he is, even though hes also a rapist.

Like, how do you define leftism if you don't think any of that can be a part of a radical movement?

any definition of leftism that distinguishes itself from liberalism seems to me like it's gotta be directly concerned with the relationship of the worker to the means of production. I can see how that intersects with sustainability and environmental impact but not as to my personal, individual decision to eat a few chicken wings every so often. The being a role model thing sounds like pretty thin gruel when you could just as easily make the arguments like eg. veganism alienates you from groups or communities you're trying to radicalize if they themselves aren't already vegan or whatever.

I mean good for you if you're vegan, it definitely seems like a good thing to do, but trying to tie any of this in to "being a good leftist" is weirdo moralizing lifestylism, sorry

e: 4 got 2 quote

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 00:52 on May 11, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You could do like monks do and not eat animals killed specifically for you but eat meat in situations where it's provided as part of a meal

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Aug 21, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Muscle Wizard posted:

quite shocking that dietary changes are the only lifestyle changes that some goons are willing to make in order to be True Leftists

organizing your workplace: difficult, probably doomed to failure, the guys in the warehouse make fun of me constantly

becoming a vegan: untold heights of moral purity, oreos are still ok

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oolb posted:

I have been harshly discriminated against my entire life. This is the basis for the choice. I know what it's like to be treated without dignity and to constantly live in fear and pain. And my experience is not even moderately comparable to what farm animals experience.

I don't know how anyone in good conscience can be treated so brutally, and then turn around and do the exact same thing to another creature. Non-vegan leftists totally shatter my faith in humanity. When presented with the hard evidence of untold amounts of suffering we put animals through, the response never recognizes the severity of the moral crisis, but is instead a lot like a drug-addict trying to rationalize their addiction.

Calling me privileged. Get the gently caress out of here. I'm poor as gently caress and so low socially its insane. It's honestly loving disgusting how often I see social-justice type language repurposed to justify atrocities.

If nothing matters, if you aren't willing to take ANY steps to fight this problem, then why not just indulge in what you obviously believe deep down? This is why the right will win, and is winning: because they have an actual philosophy. A brutal, anti-egalitarian one built on the most primitive parts of the human brain, but one which is cohesive - as opposed to the one most so-called leftists have, which is that exact same philosophy but, where it is shameful, some flimsy adjustments.

:burger:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The Swedish are worse I think

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Well, leftist is a vague term that can mean anything. So everything and nothing, I reckon.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

Well, leftist is a vague term that can mean anything. So everything and nothing, I reckon.

pretty much, if it can include socdems, lgbtq zionists, and racist anarchists, then its entirely useless except to identify yourself as being a better person than THOSE liberals

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The Swedish are worse I think

they ahve good fish tho

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

any definition of leftism that distinguishes itself from liberalism seems to me like it's gotta be directly concerned with the relationship of the worker to the means of production. I can see how that intersects with sustainability and environmental impact but not as to my personal, individual decision to eat a few chicken wings every so often. The being a role model thing sounds like pretty thin gruel when you could just as easily make the arguments like eg. veganism alienates you from groups or communities you're trying to radicalize if they themselves aren't already vegan or whatever.

I mean good for you if you're vegan, it definitely seems like a good thing to do, but trying to tie any of this in to "being a good leftist" is weirdo moralizing lifestylism, sorry

e: 4 got 2 quote

The animals are workers.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

leftism is eating meat to own the vegans, and also being extremely mad at them while you eat the meat

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Clarence rules but also he is openly on gear so idk if this is the tmurp card you think it is

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.

Control Volume posted:

This isnt an ethical argument for veganism though, its an argument for good chicken living conditions. And veganism may be a lifestyle that doesnt support factory farming but it also isnt the only one, nor would it be particularly distinct from a vegetarian whos conscious of their sources.

Yeah, that's true. I should've been clearer that I was speaking from experience with vegan and vegetarian friends, and their way of deciding what was okay for them. I think the strict vegan line is that any taking of eggs is exploitation because the eggs are made specifically for the hen's reproduction, not for human sustenance and profit. Like, Even if it is your own chicken, the fact it makes eggs doesn't mean those eggs are yours. The same logic goes for dairy. Or something like that.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

Yeah, that's true. I should've been clearer that I was speaking from experience with vegan and vegetarian friends, and their way of deciding what was okay for them. I think the strict vegan line is that any taking of eggs is exploitation because the eggs are made specifically for the hen's reproduction, not for human sustenance and profit. Like, Even if it is your own chicken, the fact it makes eggs doesn't mean those eggs are yours. The same logic goes for dairy. Or something like that.

domestic hens lay an egg almost every day so the hypothetical of a someone keeping one but not eating the eggs on vegan principle is a really weird one

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oolb posted:

The animals are workers.

thank you for reminding me of this amazing derail in the spectre thread lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Oolb posted:

The animals are workers.

actually I think they're animals

I mean I know what you're getting at but even if I agree with you it's totally non-actionable. I can't go down to the farm and organize amongst the cows. Something like the abolition of meat farming -- which might very well be the right thing to do -- would only be possible after global communism is realized. If everything goes perfectly and I get supremely, outrageously lucky I'm only going to live another 40 or 50 years so I probably should stick to organizing amongst the only other creatures I can meaningfully communicate with and not get too bent out of shape if I throw some brats on the grill

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

its stupid to tell someone theyre a bad leftist for eating meat. like not even removed from ah but you typed this on an iphone while wearing shoes type gotchas where the only true leftism is going into ascetic hermitage. your individual choice means nothing as long as the machine is still going, neither does that of your friends who eat meat, dont be a scold thats just obnoxious

That said. the meat industry is loving ghoulish and its harming the planet. non-human animals also deserve to live with dignity and not be cruelly exploited by us. i can see how someone could connect those points with their personal left politics and i think deciding that you dont want to eat animal products because youre squeamish about your role in their suffering is perfectly reasonable. as is encouraging and helping people to try moving away from a meat-based diet because of your convictions. just like dont be a bitch about it lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

non-human animals deserve to be cooked in as delicious a manner as possible, thus i also dont support mcdonalds

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

any definition of leftism that distinguishes itself from liberalism seems to me like it's gotta be directly concerned with the relationship of the worker to the means of production.

I have a hazy sense of there being an angle here but I can't quite pin it down.

Like, this line --

quote:

the relationship of the worker to the means of production.
-- makes me think of hierarchical relations.

Groundwater contamination, unsafe working conditions, etc.

One way to describe the problem would be the narcissistic entitlement of those above to the death and suffering of those below.

Seems like one could make a lateral shift from humans-harvesting-humans to humans-harvesting-animals. Suffering's a common denominator. It's like a natural reservoir to some disease.

Something like that. I don't know. I can't quite pin down the idea.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Entering a movement or community, immediately staking out the most extreme possible position and demanding purity on this become a central and guiding moral tenant of said movement or community is like fed poo poo 101 lol

Like good for you but the anti-meat movement cant even get people to adopt vegetarianism, take some baby steps maybe lol, too often it's like listening to libs talking about gun control

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I'M VEGAN perhaps op was being a bit extreme to rile people up just a thought

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

can you even call yourself extreme if you haven't burnt down a cattle ranch? smh posers itt

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kindest Forums User posted:

pretty sure its only about emancipation of human life, op

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Animal rights orgs becoming totally toothless and liberalized is right up there with anarchists going from bomb throwing to spending all day on social media calling each other colonizers, throw some bombs or gtfo with these declarations of being the one correct ideology

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Animal rights orgs becoming totally toothless and liberalized is right up there with anarchists going from bomb throwing to spending all day on social media calling each other colonizers, throw some bombs or gtfo with these declarations of being the one correct ideology

Or at least go back to making parody flash games

everything is reduced to loving twitter slapfights these days it's all so pointless

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

Maybe they should denounce instead of accepting funding and being coopted by the corporate food industry if they had any interest in generating popular support. Once again anarchists fundamentally misunderstand politics but whats new.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

misadventurous posted:

its stupid to tell someone theyre a bad leftist for eating meat. like not even removed from ah but you typed this on an iphone while wearing shoes type gotchas where the only true leftism is going into ascetic hermitage. your individual choice means nothing as long as the machine is still going, neither does that of your friends who eat meat, dont be a scold thats just obnoxious

That said. the meat industry is loving ghoulish and its harming the planet. non-human animals also deserve to live with dignity and not be cruelly exploited by us. i can see how someone could connect those points with their personal left politics and i think deciding that you dont want to eat animal products because youre squeamish about your role in their suffering is perfectly reasonable. as is encouraging and helping people to try moving away from a meat-based diet because of your convictions. just like dont be a bitch about it lol

i don't necessarily think that you're wrong in that the planet is still going to burn down no matter what we eat, but meat is different from cell phones or shoes or oil industry entanglement, i think, because your choice as a consumer to eat/don't eat meat does not involve any other social control mechanisms; we're compelled by societal standards to be connected to the internet and dressed to a certain standard for certain activities and to transport ourselves from place to place, and you have to put a lot of effort into arranging alternatives for yourself if u think it's important

all you need to do to stop eating meat is go to different refrigerator cases next time at the grocery store; no one will object or even notice

and idk i kind of doubt that CAFO operations would be able to pull off the oil industry trick of worming their way into every industry's product chain to guarantee a market if a serious vegetarianism movement started

but capitalism is endlessly stupid so who knows, we have the thing where rather than being decommissioned 'surplus' coal plants 'replaced' by renewables just shrug and plug in to bitcoin miners, maybe it would have a newer, better use for beef even if we did all go vegan

fwiw i think we're hosed on this question b/c it's been realized by capital since the 70s shortages that meat love is hardcoded into our culture apparently more deeply than any other basic human need and as long as the meat keeps flowing nothing else matters. health care? housing stability? job security? retirement? whatever. burgs babyy; the last remnant of the us military in the post apocalypse will spend their time guarding the feedlots of beef-hoarding warlords wearing brooks brothers

ps baw and antipope deserve each other and should be restricted to only posting in this thread until one or the other can finally prevail

HookedOnChthonics has issued a correction as of 03:13 on May 11, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"we can change the system by co-opting the mechanisms of the system"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

so low socially its insane

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The #2 most stupid strategic blunder the anti-meat movement makes all the time is telling people to eat tofu but not telling them they need to press it for it to be pleasant at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
this is a honeypot thread and I am proud to be one of the people banned for posting in it