Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

"Jewish White Supremacist Death Squads" is p misleading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Can we not go quite so wild with posting low-context unverified poo poo from randos on Twitter? Yes, I'm well aware that the English-language media sucks absolute poo poo on Israel/Palestine issues, but I click on that guy's Twitter feed and see him declaring a single Canadian legislator to be the "Grand Wizard of Jewish White Supremacy in the Parliament of Apartheid Canada", which is quite a loving mouthful.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I can't find anything that feels especially legit to confirm a death there, yet, but:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/10/palestinians-recount-violent-raid-by-israeli-forces-on-al-aqsa

Al Jazeera posted:

“The Israeli police rushed through all the gates of Al-Aqsa, maybe 1,000 of them, and they started firing rubber bullets and tear gas,” said Ibrahim, 17, who was inside the mosque praying when the raid began at 8am local time (6:00 GMT).

“One policeman threw a stun grenade inside the mosque and the carpet caught fire. I barely escaped.”

Ibrahim said he sought shelter in the compound’s health clinic, but Israeli police forced their way in.

“They sprayed pepper gas and lobbed stun grenades – even though people were getting treated there. People were on the floor suffocating.”

The Palestinian Red Crescent said more than 300 Palestinians were hurt. About 20 Israeli officers were injured.

Al-Aqsa official Raed D’ana said he was beaten by Israeli security forces. “They started kicking me and pushed me to the ground even after I showed them my work ID. They then ejected me outside Al-Aqsa,” he told Al Jazeera.

Nour Mtour, a Palestinian woman who spent the night inside the Al-Aqsa mosque compound, witnessed the beginning of the crackdown.

“I tried to help a wounded man who got hit by a bullet in his head, but I couldn’t reach him as police fired a tear gas canister at me,” she said. “Snipers went on the roof of the gate at the mosque compound and began to shoot rubber bullets at everyone – women, men, everyone.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the actions of the security forces, praising their “just struggle”. He also commended the “steadfastness that the Israeli police and our security forces are currently displaying”.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why are they even storming a loving mosque to begin with?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because it’s Jerusalem Day probably.

IMO it’s time to go back to the British mandate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

because bibi is real loving concerned that the opposition might be able to work together with an arab party just enough to turf him out and end his hopes of legal immunity, i assume

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m thoroughly (not) enjoying how the media and politicians here in the US are once again lining up behind Palestinian child murder

https://twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1391897869137887234?s=21

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

because bibi is real loving concerned that the opposition might be able to work together with an arab party just enough to turf him out and end his hopes of legal immunity, i assume

It's looking like he's locked in for sure now.

Wonderful company to be in Yang you dipshit.

https://twitter.com/StephenM/status/1391919189435236357?s=20

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 11, 2021

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1391870564575420416

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

What is the Palestinian equivalent of antisemitism, the adl or the jdl?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

nvrgrls posted:

Because it’s Jerusalem Day probably.

IMO it’s time to go back to the British mandate

Return it to the Canaanites, Bow before Dagon

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure the bible talks about 'Philistines' and not about Palestinians.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Those are just different forms of the same word? Philistine comes from the biblical greek where as Palestine derives from the Latin form.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Those are just different forms of the same word? Philistine comes from the biblical greek where as Palestine derives from the Latin form.

the Philistines were greeks though. they were Cretan Sea People.

also modern Palestinians have nothing to do w/ them, but I suppose ultra-nationalists aren't good at history

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

PawParole posted:

also modern Palestinians have nothing to do w/ them, but I suppose ultra-nationalists aren't good at history

If they were from Crete they weren't Greek speakers. Unless you got a hot take about Linear A.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

PawParole posted:

- saying that a Greek identity existed in the same period as the book of judges is a bit of a stretch
- it's definitely not clear that contemporary Cretans would have considered themselves greek
- it's not clear that sea peoples were related to the emerging greek culture or not
- some skeletons that might be Philistines might have some DNA that might be European
- this might mean that they mixed with Europeans, or they were from Europe, or it might mean nothing

What I'm saying is that trying to map the genetics of people that were living in the bronze age onto modern cultural identities is an exercise in madness.

What we can say is that modern Palestinians at the very least share a name with a group from the bronze age and people will use that implied shared identity for political ends.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The important bit is that people were already living there when European colonialists showed up in the mid 20th century, regardless of whatever connection they might have had to an old book

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's also important to remember that keeping millions of people walled up in an open air prison and then bombing, shooting and firing ballistic missiles at them when you need a political boost is evil any way you cut it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

emanresu tnuocca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikOcnxSba4&t=45s

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1391890475603406853?s=20

Some clarity from the State Department.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
24 Palestinian casualties in Gaza so far and now two Israeli casualties in Ashqelon, the 'operation' already has a name which is apparently "The Guardian of the Walls".

If the escalation continues it seems pretty certain that this will develop into a "Pillar of Smoke" situation, with hundreds of dead palestinian civilians. I don't think a ground invasion is on the cards, I hope.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
oh israel, israel, israel. i love you still, israel my darling, i can never stop loving you. but you break my heart

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perepelki posted:

oh israel, israel, israel. i love you still, israel my darling, i can never stop loving you. but you break my heart

:aochloe:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

don't you aochloe at me. i come from circumstances

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I trust I am not being too controversial when I say, don't fall in love with nations. You can and should love people living in them of course.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I trust I am not being too controversial when I say, don't fall in love with nations. You can and should love people living in them of course.
yes that's what i meant. i love the people of israel and i know whence comes their viciousness and desperate self-defence. but i also love the people of palestine, who seem so gentle and so monstrously persecuted. my heart is torn in two. let us all weep together

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i blame britain and america for all of this. i cannot in all good conscience blame israel, "the jews", knowing what i know; if you knew it, you'd understand. we were manipulated. they are using us as a weapon, twisting our fear and pain so that we'll buy their filthy weapons and use them against their enemies. it disgusts me. the damage they've done to us is as awful as what the nazis did - just in a different form, one with repercussions that will happen more slowly but just as terribly and over many, many years. there can be no benevolent alliance with the goyim, all they know is murder and money. i hate them! i hate them!!

netanyahu must be killed. he is a demon. he's not even from israel. he's from loving philadelphia for gently caress's sake. he's an american! why are we letting an american wage war for us? americans are hosed! we all know this!

gently caress

perepelki fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 11, 2021

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The brits hosed off 73 years ago, the people of Israel do not get to shirk all responsibility to the situation just because the brits could have done a better job at loving off.

Netanyahu was born in Tel-Aviv.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The state of Israel is bad and should feel bad

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The brits hosed off 73 years ago, the people of Israel do not get to shirk all responsibility to the situation just because the brits could have done a better job at loving off.

Netanyahu was born in Tel-Aviv.
he was raised in philadelphia and forever infected with the disease of americanism. the americans have always had their dicks in israel, for no other reason than to sell weapons and destabilise the middle east. any non-jewish person with an "interest" in israel is suspect. why? why are they so interested? what does it matter to them? it sure as gently caress didn't matter in the 1940s. the camps were liberated by accident - america did not give a poo poo until suddenly it was advantageous to them.

big dong wanter posted:

The state of Israel is bad and should feel bad
yes it is and yes it should

perepelki fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 11, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i see one hundred years into the past and into the future. america has hosed us over forever. we were never a vicious people; it has taken decades of social engineering to bring us to this point, where we become the monsters, and we murder innocent people, and our youth are twisted into an ugly hateful violent mockery of what we used to be. america will protect us for exactly as long as it benefits their hideous selfish purposes, and then they'll abandon us. we will be paying for our sins for generations and generations. who is going to care about the trauma that birthed all of this ugliness? nobody. who is going to protect us once the whole world has turned to desert and it's every nation for themselves? nobody. what will happen when israel runs out of water? what will happen when america turns its back on us? why are we doing this? is anybody looking at the future? does anybody honestly believe that america and britain can be trusted forever, or even that they can be trusted now? after all that they've done? gently caress!

i've never lived in israel. but in my lifetime, i will pay for israel's actions, and my children will pay for israel's actions, and all my loved ones will pay too. america keeps stoking the fire; they don't care what the repercussions are. they want war, because war means money. that is the beginning and end of it.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's not Avshalom right? Avshalom was... less coherent? I don't know.
fool

perepelki fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 11, 2021

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Anyway, death toll in Gaza up to 28, Israeli media reports infantry and tanks are making their way to gaza border.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

scream

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why did IDF shoot up the mosque in the first place? Or, rather, under what pretense?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why did IDF shoot up the mosque in the first place? Or, rather, under what pretense?

It's a bad country run by bad people.

(probably to keep bibi in power)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Less vagina stuff and adoration of Ariel Sharon so probably not

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Return it to the Canaanites, Bow before Dagon

Hittites or get out imo

edit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The pretense: there were protests last Friday there (which was the last Friday of Ramadan), and the first round was "peaceful" and the second round protests started throwing things at the police and so they shot at them.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 11, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

DarkCrawler posted:

Less vagina stuff and adoration of Ariel Sharon so probably not
i still adore ariel, he is just less demanding of my time and attention nowadays. death has mellowed him. he has other priorities now

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

big dong wanter posted:

It's a bad country run by bad people.

(probably to keep bibi in power)

Obviously that's the actual reason, but normally they offer some flimsy excuse about being provoked or acting in self-defense, but every report I've seen have just been "the IDF shot up a mosque" with no lead-in, going on to present the latest reports or the story of Al-Aqsa.

Have we just reached the point where we've stopped pretending and admit that Israel gets to do war crimes because gently caress you that's why?

E:

nvrgrls posted:

The pretense: there were protests last Friday there (which was the last Friday of Ramadan), and the first round was "peaceful" and the second round protests started throwing things at the police and so they shot at them.

Yeah ok that sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Have we just reached the point where we've stopped pretending and admit that Israel gets to do war crimes because gently caress you that's why?

We are definitely not at this point because in that case the police would have actually killed the protesters on Friday.