Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There is nothing passive about my aggression with people being weird and lovely to each other for no reason here, I am actively complaining and it feels like you are ignoring everything that caused me to get fatigued in the first place. I’ll cop to that I should have reported someone literally saying that they fully intend to cause a lovely derail rather than just complaining about it. But this is a recurring thing that you appear to be ignoring and you’re here now, so what’s up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

There is nothing passive about my aggression with people being weird and lovely to each other for no reason here, I am actively complaining and it feels like you are ignoring everything that caused me to get fatigued in the first place. I’ll cop to that I should have reported someone literally saying that they fully intend to cause a lovely derail rather than just complaining about it. But this is a recurring thing that you appear to be ignoring and you’re here now, so what’s up?

Ignoring what? I just said I have not read the thread, I have seen your post reported and come asking for information. Where do I need to start?

I posted last year about not having endless EGS derails because there is an EGS thread to have that discussion in. Is that what you were referring to by saying we sweep things under the rug? I think asking for specifics to be in the more appropriate thread is fine and something that happens all over the forums. If it is not that, then I apologise. I have not been reading the thread. What was the post of yours reported referring to? Can you link the start of it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jim literally linked the post that kicked it off directly before your post at the end of the last page. And provided commentary about how it started, too.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Jim literally linked the post that kicked it off directly before your post at the end of the last page. And provided commentary about how it started, too.

I am not reading any hostility in any of that discussion from Jim's post on. It looks like Jim has been helping people there. I am confused.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If the conversation is productive than at least 3 other posters missed that memo. Paroid, HarmB, cagefreeegghead, and jim himself, as demonstrated by accusations of gross neckbeardism and other snideness while discussing architecture and networks. My perception was not unique, as bottom liner and kuule echoed the sentiment directly after.

I am confused as to why I need to spell all of this out, this is not a precedent set literally anywhere else. Should I be prepared with a full briefing every time or do you just disagree that it was a problem? If you disagree, just say you’ve looked over stuff and you don’t agree. If I disagree back I might say so but that’s the end of it, this isn’t rocket science.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I am confused as to why I need to spell all of this out, this is not a precedent set literally anywhere else. Should I be prepared with a full briefing every time or do you just disagree that it was a problem? If you disagree, just say you’ve looked over stuff and you don’t agree. If I disagree back I might say so but that’s the end of it, this isn’t rocket science.

I think VideoGames is just trying to understand your perspective, not, like, putting you on trial or anything.

I looked over the posts on the last couple pages and while I am not nearly educated enough in data security to fully understand the discussion, it kinda just looked like a discussion to me. You're talking about passive-aggressive sniping and something that requires mod action, so I believe VG was trying to see from your perspective which posts were the problem posts.

If you're referring to Jim's "I will fight dissenting opinions" post that read to me like a Twitter-style "don't @ me" joke but maybe I lack context?

Edit: to go more big-picture, neither of us really follow this thread, so if there are pervasive issues (which you seemed to indicate there were in a post on the previous page), we're not aware of them and not finding them on our own. It'd be helpful to know what issues you're seeing in specific so that we can address them.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I don’t think the comments about being a gross neckbeard and lmao don’t do this is isn’t 200X need a lot of context or explanation, nor do the posts afterward regarding “not sure who you think is decent but”. We’ve all been on these forums for a long time, these sorts of things are absolutely how nerd fights start.

I also am not sure where this idea of me being on trial even came from. I’m honestly flummoxed that someone whose job it is to look over this is, seemingly, asking to be spoon fed a full brief when they can’t take my side of things as reliable anyway since I’m the one who is complaining. What is the expectation here?

Again: if you disagree just say so and that’s more or less that. But this started with a weird question of “why are you posting this way” and now has gone to this weird implication that I’m on trial. What am I supposed to think?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
being extremely normal brained and reading "stop being weird we're not putting you on trial" as "aha so you admit that i am being put on trial"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:munch:

I wish I lived in a world where "This program is better than that program." was the most hostile thing I've seen all decade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I don’t think the comments about being a gross neckbeard and lmao don’t do this is isn’t 200X need a lot of context or explanation, nor do the posts afterward regarding “not sure who you think is decent but”. We’ve all been on these forums for a long time, these sorts of things are absolutely how nerd fights start.

I also am not sure where this idea of me being on trial even came from. I’m honestly flummoxed that someone whose job it is to look over this is, seemingly, asking to be spoon fed a full brief when they can’t take my side of things as reliable anyway since I’m the one who is complaining. What is the expectation here?

Again: if you disagree just say so and that’s more or less that. But this started with a weird question of “why are you posting this way” and now has gone to this weird implication that I’m on trial. What am I supposed to think?

We are trying to understand your perspective, because while we may read things one way, clearly you read them another, and when we don't agree on that, it seems productive to try to understand why.

What you're pointing out looks to me like some lighthearted ribbing about nerdy things and data security. You clearly read them as sharper barbs than I do, and I, at least, thought perhaps there was some context I was missing because I don't read this thread. Maybe there's a history of bad arguments here that I haven't personally seen because I don't follow the thread and I didn't see reports about them. So I thought it was worth asking whether there was something I was missing. If there wasn't, then I think we simply disagree on how aggressive the discussion in question was.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

got some chores tonight posted:

being extremely normal brained and reading "stop being weird we're not putting you on trial" as "aha so you admit that i am being put on trial"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
coolguye I'm sorry that I said it was neckbeardy to host your own server with all of your encrypted passwords, and that it might be difficult for less talented computer touchers to do, and that the bitwarden hosting is probably fine, or whatever you're mad about, it's my bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

coolguye I'm sorry that I said it was neckbeardy to host your own server with all of your encrypted passwords, and that it might be difficult for less talented computer touchers to do, and that the bitwarden hosting is probably fine, or whatever you're mad about, it's my bad

They didn't like how the mods handled the Epic derail last year and are presumably using this as a way to ???

Coolguye posted:

Lots of words

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wow this free entertainment didn't even need me to put my email address into a mailing list

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Coolguye posted:

I think you're the only one who saw those posts as an issue, and you're turning it into a bigger thing than it is. It turns out you do, in fact, need to spell things out. You could have just been clear and stated what you thought the problem was if you actually wanted something done about it or gotten a direct response about it, rather than beat around the bush and expect everyone to read your mind and automatically know what posts you had an issue with and why, then complain when it turns out nobody can do that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow this free entertainment didn't even need me to put my email address into a mailing list

you did have to give lowtax jeffrey your email though :tinfoil:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

We are trying to understand your perspective, because while we may read things one way, clearly you read them another, and when we don't agree on that, it seems productive to try to understand why.

What you're pointing out looks to me like some lighthearted ribbing about nerdy things and data security. You clearly read them as sharper barbs than I do, and I, at least, thought perhaps there was some context I was missing because I don't read this thread. Maybe there's a history of bad arguments here that I haven't personally seen because I don't follow the thread and I didn't see reports about them. So I thought it was worth asking whether there was something I was missing. If there wasn't, then I think we simply disagree on how aggressive the discussion in question was.
there is very much that context here and videogames specifically is familiar with it already due to the last time this happened and people got insanely aggressive for no real reason despite multiple attempts to de-escalate. it wasn't just the EGS thing, like i said this is the third time round for this garbage. these things are not resolved and people are generically told to shut up, leaving the behavior around to re-manifest. derails in this thread have a long history of spiraling out of control.

got some chores tonight posted:

cool that isn't what i said? i was curious how this statement even became a thing in the first place.

Sailor Dave posted:

I think you're the only one who saw those posts as an issue, and you're turning it into a bigger thing than it is. It turns out you do, in fact, need to spell things out. You could have just been clear and stated what you thought the problem was if you actually wanted something done about it or gotten a direct response about it, rather than beat around the bush and expect everyone to read your mind and automatically know what posts you had an issue with and why, then complain when it turns out nobody can do that.
at least two other cats saw it as an escalating issue as well so shrug, dude. last few times i've interacted with the mods here spelling out stuff just gets you set up for mocking because it turns out folks look at words as investment, rather than just answering a question. case in point is len's post, i wrote words so now ???

like if we want to have this conversation then let's have the conversation, but don't goad me to have the conversation and then tell me i'm a weirdo for having the conversation. like what.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
let’s not have the conversation because it’s not about free games and someone saying it’s ok to use bitesrden’s cloud server storage didn’t harm you in any way. Even if they gently suggested it’s nerdy not to do that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

Jeffrey please do not steal my mangosteencoins

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I, for one, thank this thread for the suggestion about Bitwarden. I found it genuinely helpful. :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Farquar posted:

I, for one, thank this thread for the suggestion about Bitwarden. I found it genuinely helpful. :)

yes bitwarden is v good this is definitely true

i also actually do agree with do not self host fwiw, it's a lot of extra effort for not a lot of benefit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

repiv posted:

creating an account isn't required to view the forums, so they didn't have to give anyone their email address.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
self-hosting is actively harmful if you don't have backups somewhere off-site, outside your house
because it means you could potentially lose all your data/passwords if your poo poo gets struck by lightning or a burgler takes all your electronics while you're at work or whatever

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For what it’s worth I didn’t find anything posted here passive aggressive or really any bit out of line except maybe being off topic, but security being an ever important thing I think having healthy discussions of it and how it pertains to your online safety can lead to various ways of handling it.

To me I self host because it gives me control. I don’t have my BW instance pointed towards the internet so it’s a much smaller threat than if I did. But yes the benefits are small for doing so this way. And that’s fine. Just giving another perspective on why you’d want to.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

self-hosting is actively harmful if you don't have backups somewhere off-site, outside your house
because it means you could potentially lose all your data/passwords if your poo poo gets struck by lightning or a burgler takes all your electronics while you're at work or whatever

This is a good thought too. If you’re self hosting anything remotely important you should always follow the 3-2-1 backup rule.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the original point of it being a relatively easier attack surface in practice is also extremely true.

like, if you have a properly updated linux machine that you take care to KEEP updated, and you have a backup system that is properly locked down with cold storage procedures in place, etc etc, then yes, absolutely, self-hosting is strictly better because attackers generally need some extra motivation to try stuff beyond known exploits. if you're bill gates or something then ok they have that motivation, but random internet nerd 69 doesn't provide that incentive. they always have incentive to be attacking bitwarden.

but all that requires a shitload of time and effort to solve the problem and keep it solved and nobody should be surprised to find out that a lot of folks have more important things in their lives.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Dream Machine - Chapters 1 & 2 free on Steam through the 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWM9KIUxrL0

For Amazon-Prime-Havers: Faraway: Director's Cut was just added to Prime Gaming.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

free games fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lutha Mahtin posted:

free games fun

The dream machine isn't though. It's a buggy mess

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The true cost of the free games is the unreasonable amount of time you'll spend sifting through the pages of derails and goon meltdowns to find them.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I should say as games IK I do follow this thread and while it does derail semi-frequently it's usually kiinda relevant to the topic and people get back on track after not too long, so I don't tend to see it as worthwhile to intervene. I can remind people to post free games more regularly if you guys would prefer that though.

Uhh, I should probably take my own advice, so, latest free games on Epic are Pine - A story of Humans, and Core if that hasn't already been noted!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The dream machine isn't though. It's a buggy mess

The first two chapters are a good test of your mettle. For those unaware, it runs on Flash, and in my experience would get really bogged down and start chugging after about 45 minutes. This is on a pretty decent PC too.

The environment and interactions are pretty charming, but the puzzles get pretty convoluted as you progress. I used a walkthrough for a decent amount of it. All that said, at $0 I’d give it a try.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
the best game of all is of course "the game of getting free games" and as you can all tell, we've bumped up to the next level recently, so the difficulty is ramping up a bit. There are quite a few really really weird posts that don't contain free games -- so you can't go clicking on everything. In other words, consider the last two pages the hidden object level of Getting Free Games. Carry on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Skwirl posted:

creating an account isn't required to view the forums, so they didn't have to give anyone their email address.

Worse, they chose to pay 10 bucks for this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pushing the limits of what counts as "free" games: I recently discovered you can get free access to Xbox GamePass for PC by using Microsoft Rewards points. Basically, Microsoft has a loyalty points system where you earn points by doing Bing searches, clicking on a few quizzes and activities each day, and eventually claiming a reward. You can get other stuff too (including Skype credit, GamePass Ultimate etc), but it's pretty easy to build up enough points for a free month of GamePass for PC. There's a huge number of great games on there, including the entire Bethesda catalogue, and you get access to the full EA Play library too.

Fair warning: it takes about three weeks of daily searches and clicks to earn enough points for a free month. However, a handy little extension for Google Chrome called ABS (Automatic Bing Searches) can run through your daily searches and quizzes in a separate tab, saving you a bunch of time. It'll even spoof browser IDs so you get extra points for "using" Microsoft Edge desktop and mobile versions.

Like I said, I realise it's pushing the boundaries of "free games", but for pretty minimal effort you can get free access to a pretty good library of games - not just indie shovelware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s the idle clicker of free games

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is that a repeatable free month (for as long as they keep offering that reward)?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It is repeatable, though I do have to question how much effort it actually is to earn 6800 points a month every month.
I only get about 4000 points a month, but that's without ABS plugin.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I use ABS (on firefox) and it's zero effort because you can schedule it. I just get home and close the 5 tabs it opened while I was gone.

The auto-redeem monthly $10 store credit on xbox is also a good use for it.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

~Coxy posted:

It is repeatable, though I do have to question how much effort it actually is to earn 6800 points a month every month.
I only get about 4000 points a month, but that's without ABS plugin.

I just open a new browser window and set ABS going as I make breakfast in the morning, then idly click through the offers on the rewards site as I eat. It doesn’t take long at all. In the UK (where I am) with the streak bonuses I’m just able to generate enough points for the PC game pass each month. You can also get an extra month (in hand) if you turn on repeatable billing (just don’t forget to turn it off, although it only kicks in once you have used up your points).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a bot making daily Bing searches to generate Microsoft loyalty points — forever.