Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I hope everyone quit on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

To be fair, for it to be a reliable test it has to be an enticing E-mail. More and more phishing schemes are done by people with some second or first-hand knowledge of the company, the employees have to be able to pick up on poo poo that's either too good to be true or sketchy poo poo asking you to do weird things.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Deki posted:

My office wants to cross train people into learning Mainframe poo poo, so we're not boned if one of the 60 year old dudes retires suddenly.

This offer does not come with a pay bump to the level our Mainframe guys are at, and we would still have to do our other duties, whereas the mainframe guys get a lot of free time to watch youtube or whatever when there's nothing to do.

suprisingly, the few people who expressed interest decided not to go through with it after learning the specifics. Similar story regarding the "App developer" position that's sitting unfilled.

I've learned in my years at work, in local government at least, that "cross training" is ALWAYS a trap. It's how you get stuck doing the retiree's job when they leave, in addition to what you were already doing, for no extra money, because, "Imagined already knows that stuff." Then they rewrite your job description so that the "extra" duties are now part of what you're expected to do and can get in trouble if you don't. Ask me how I know.

I tell new employees, whenever I get the chance, "Refuse to learn anything you don't want to be doing all day every day."

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 11, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BitBasher posted:

How? Even the lowest level commercial Gsuite has file restoration built in for the Gsuite admin, I'm like 99.9% sure? It also has a trash can that keeps files for (I think) 30 days?

Re: this comment and another to the same effect:
Sure, but the people who are in charge of this stuff don't know that.
Which is quite impressive really.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Imagined posted:

I've learned in my years at work, in local government at least, that "cross training" is ALWAYS a trap. It's how you get stuck doing the retiree's job when they leave, in addition to what you were already doing, for no extra money, because, "Imagined already knows that stuff." Then they rewrite your job description so that the "extra" duties are now part of what you're expected to do and can get in trouble if you don't. Ask me how I know.

I tell new employees, whenever I get the chance, "Refuse to learn anything you don't want to be doing all day every day."

Or do it and quit immediately for a new role where you can leverage the cross training. Only works if it's a useful skill for that though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Update on this hellish G Suite migration:

- explained to second IT person that I’m having difficulties with the transition due to the nature of my position, and if it is possible retain my older account on the earlier platform. I’m having difficulty with the first IT person I spoke to because my needs for my position are being kind of ignored and I’m feeling that I’m being talked down to.

- gets denied and is told that actually I should definitely be using gmail via the web even though I specifically stated that “the browser interface doesn’t mesh well with my workflow, my inbox rules and setup”, some weird paragraph that “change is always hard” that for sure is condescending and that I’m to now have an appointment with the first IT person who talked down to me for my migration

- somehow email on older platform is still working despite being told that it’s shutting off overnight.

so I definitely feel like an idiot for trying to ask for help. Thankfully I cc’d in my manager as I did discuss this with her prior, another colleague of mine who does the same type of work also had the same difficulty, and perhaps I found an alternative solution that appeases IT…I think. Who knows maybe that too is wrong!!!!!

God I wish there wasn’t a pandemic.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

teen witch posted:

- explained to second IT person that I’m having difficulties with the transition due to the nature of my position, and if it is possible retain my older account on the earlier platform. I’m having difficulty with the first IT person I spoke to because my needs for my position are being kind of ignored and I’m feeling that I’m being talked down to.

- gets denied and is told that actually I should definitely be using gmail via the web even though I specifically stated that “the browser interface doesn’t mesh well with my workflow, my inbox rules and setup”, some weird paragraph that “change is always hard” that for sure is condescending and that I’m to now have an appointment with the first IT person who talked down to me for my migration

- somehow email on older platform is still working despite being told that it’s shutting off overnight.

so I definitely feel like an idiot for trying to ask for help. Thankfully I cc’d in my manager as I did discuss this with her prior, another colleague of mine who does the same type of work also had the same difficulty, and perhaps I found an alternative solution that appeases IT…I think. Who knows maybe that too is wrong!!!!!

I mean, maybe they’re talking down to you, but IT departments want to have standards for a reason, and they certainly don’t want to keep old legacy setups around for just 1 or 2 users because eventually that grows into some shadow IT type of poo poo where eventually there’s 20 people expecting support on systems that should no longer be in use.

E: I obviously have no idea what your specific situation is, they’re probably just being assholes here but most IT departments aren’t going to stop a planned project or let a couple users opt out unless they’re like the CEO.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 11, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

teen witch posted:

some weird paragraph that “change is always hard” that for sure is condescending

This is the worst when you point out an actual problem and get that answer. My boss went with "we changed systems so we wouldn't have to do all these work arounds like we used to." But when we point out an issue it becomes "We have to accept change and create workable solutions aka work arounds as we learn the new system."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tetramin posted:

I mean, maybe they’re talking down to you, but IT departments want to have standards for a reason, and they certainly don’t want to keep old legacy setups around for just 1 or 2 users because eventually that grows into some shadow IT type of poo poo where eventually there’s 20 people expecting support on systems that should no longer be in use.

Yeah, rightly or wrongly a user telling me “[NEW THING] doesn’t mesh well with my workflow" is pretty much a red flag that says "I'm just don't want to change and that a You problem, not a Me problem" and... Sucks for you, but too bad?

We killed the old domain mailboxes in February and axed personal network drives in favor of One Drive in March and users will STILL put in tickets because they can't access a five year-old email they kept all their customer information on or demand I recover the Excel spreadsheet that had all their old passwords from their personal drive that no longer exists.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah, getting “no” as an answer doesn’t mean they’re being mean. Sometimes a no is just a no.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tetramin posted:

E: I obviously have no idea what your specific situation is, they’re probably just being assholes here but most IT departments aren’t going to stop a planned project or let a couple users opt out unless they’re like the CEO.

Oh no I fully understand, and frankly sent my email as a “is there any alternative/assistance for my particular situation” and my manager encouraged it so I figured might as well try. I’m down to use Gmail if it were to keep the way I work relatively intact, and it does not, and it is a huge chunk of my job. There is also another factor at play that could be affecting my view.

I am Position X, and most people at the company I work for are Position Y (I’d say it’s a 30/70 split). Position Y should be pretty ok to use Gmail vis a vis the web, but for my position, it really doesn’t jive. One of the elephants in the room for this company is that there is a weird sentiment that a lot of companywide decisions heavily favor those in Position Y than anyone else in the company. Sometimes things are implemented in the company that orbits around those in Position Y and their needs instead of what is realistic and benefit those across a multitude of departments.

And in all honesty, fine, I bite the bullet and my productivity just shits the bed. But Christ, I helped our with IT locally for my office for years (and stopped because it interfered with my actual position and I wasn’t given any pay increase) and I’m still spoken to like I simply cannot understand the world of how to computer.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

teen witch posted:

Gmail, at least like I used it took FIVE loving DAYS to copy the emails off the GoDaddy webmail servers for 17 total users and under 15 gigs of data total. I never found a single way to make that happen overnight, but they should have disabled logins on the old system or it's going to likely cause them issues later. I have no idea if this was a GoDaddy problem or a Gsuite problem, but I'll always blame GoDaddy when I get the chance.

That said, you should also be able to use Gmail via physical mail clients like outlook and it should be fairly transparent. It's basically a single checkbox to allow SMTP transactions which allows you to do so. There may be reasons your IT is choosing to do that, but I find it kind of dickish.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 11, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Gmail, at least like I used it took FIVE loving DAYS to copy the emails off the GoDaddy webmail servers for 17 total users and under 15 gigs of data total. I never found a single way to make that happen overnight. I have no idea if this was a GoDaddy problem or a Gsuite problem, but I'll always blame GoDaddy when I get the chance.

That said, you should also be able to use Gmail via physical mail clients like outlook and it should be fairly transparent. It's basically a single checkbox to allow SMTP transactions which allows you to do so. There may be reasons your IT is choosing to do that, but I find it kind of dickish.

That does sound more like a GoDaddy issue but yeah I know I can use Outlook with Gmail, that was the first thing I looked up when the transition was announced. Now, WHY it isn’t transitioning smoothly seems to be a POP issue (apparently?) but I’m also curious if there is another Admin related factor that, perhaps I was sniffing for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hooooly poo poo that is heinous. I hope their trains get bolt weevils, like a lot.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

teen witch posted:

That does sound more like a GoDaddy issue but yeah I know I can use Outlook with Gmail, that was the first thing I looked up when the transition was announced. Now, WHY it isn’t transitioning smoothly seems to be a POP issue (apparently?) but I’m also curious if there is another Admin related factor that, perhaps I was sniffing for.

Not that I could find. GoDaddy seemed to limit concurrent connections/bandwidth, and that's how the mail is migrated from the old provider to the new one in most cases, at least when I had to do it about 6 or 8 months ago. It didn't seem complicated, it just took way too long, especially with the small number of total users and amount of data I had.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm gonna out myself as slowly getting out of touch with all these newfangled email technologies, but going from a gsuite office to one using outlook and office stuff I really wonder why gsuite is supposed to be so much better. Gmail is quick and easy for day to day use but there's a ton of features in outlook that I really appreciate as I'm learning them, and I feel like an out of touch old when I discover stuff like "follow-up" or when I first figured out the Kalender-team meeting synergy. It's not perfect but for my job it works very nicely.

So basically I understand why going to gsuite is frustrating, it's nice and sleek but it has a lot of downsides if you really like optimising your work flow imo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate Gmail's interface, and find it baffling that both Outlook.com and Yahoo! email are vastly better in just about every respect. Readability, rules, customization - all are worse in Gmail

If I had to use Gmail for work I would strongly consider using an email client, which makes me feel like I'm time travelling back to 2004 or so.

My own office transition from our own Exchange server to Outlook.com and it's been great.

teen witch posted:

I've set up a Gmail account on Outlook for my Mom, and if memory serves it's IMAP, not POP, in case that's any help.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I hate Gmail's interface, and find it baffling that both Outlook.com and Yahoo! email are vastly better in just about every respect. Readability, rules, customization - all are worse in Gmail

If I had to use Gmail for work I would strongly consider using an email client, which makes me feel like I'm time travelling back to 2004 or so.

My own office transition from our own Exchange server to Outlook.com and it's been great.

I've set up a Gmail account on Outlook for my Mom, and if memory serves it's IMAP, not POP, in case that's any help.

Apologies IMAP, I answered at 3am haha.

But yeah, I think I need to find a client that works with Gmail and just hack it as I go along. RIP my finely tuned machine?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Tarkus posted:

To be fair, for it to be a reliable test it has to be an enticing E-mail. More and more phishing schemes are done by people with some second or first-hand knowledge of the company, the employees have to be able to pick up on poo poo that's either too good to be true or sketchy poo poo asking you to do weird things.

To be fair, it's ridiculously cruel for an employer to fake people out with a non-existent bonus while pretending to appreciate everyone's hard work during a pandemic just for a "gotcha"

If I were an employee there, I would now purposely click on every single spam link and beg phishers and hackers to take down the entire company

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

The problem with almost every IT department on earth is that they do not understand that they are a support department, like accounting. They exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists. "You need to change to suit us" is an unacceptable attitude in that context and yet it is somehow normal.

This is why everyone hates IT!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been lucky with relatively compassionate and understanding IT prior to this, hell we even used to have one of the BEST IT admins I’ve ever worked with at this company…but he left. He asked for a raise, got turned down, went to greener pastures. I don’t blame him, though to this day I think it wasn’t a cost effective decision.

Even then, I don’t mind change and newness when it seems like it’s well thought out, and takes in a greater picture than maybe two departments. I’m not really feeling that this was thought of in that way (not to speak on the implementation, yikes), but here we are now and we need to handle it.

A transition of this size was never going to be smooth sailing, and while I understand not being the exception to the rule, it comes off as fast and loose. Knowing that many people would like to retain their workflows and procedures as much as possible, or at least not strongly deviate, should be something to have taken into account way earlier and I don’t see that. Especially while I’m contending with another unrelated project that seems ill planned out, colleagues running on fumes and asking for assistance and not getting much…I’m rather sour.

I think this problem with Gmail is more of a larger issue I have with where I work, which kind of just clicked in now.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Enfys posted:

To be fair, it's ridiculously cruel for an employer to fake people out with a non-existent bonus while pretending to appreciate everyone's hard work during a pandemic just for a "gotcha"

If I were an employee there, I would now purposely click on every single spam link and beg phishers and hackers to take down the entire company

Whether or not I clicked on the thing, I'd then be asking "Where is my bonus? A company email promised a bonus, now where is it?"

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Give the bonus to the people who didn't click the link. :backtowork:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Preach

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive said itt before and i will say it again - gsuite sucks rear end

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Splode posted:

The problem with almost every IT department on earth is that they do not understand that they are a support department, like accounting. They exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists. "You need to change to suit us" is an unacceptable attitude in that context and yet it is somehow normal.

It's the same as Human Resources. We are the bane of everyone's existence because we have to enforce corporate's mandates and policy if we like to or not. My role, Payroll Accounting. is a pure support role but I have to people to do things like go on vacation or lose x amount of hours at the end of the fiscal year or punch in and out during their shift to be paid properly. We are told to change the workplace culture when the workplace culture actively refuses to follow along with the rest of the company.

This is why everyone hates HR!

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

TacticalHoodie posted:

It's the same as Human Resources. We are the bane of everyone's existence because we have to enforce corporate's mandates and policy if we like to or not. My role, Payroll Accounting. is a pure support role but I have to people to do things like go on vacation or lose x amount of hours at the end of the fiscal year or punch in and out during their shift to be paid properly. We are told to change the workplace culture when the workplace culture actively refuses to follow along with the rest of the company.

I thought it was because HR is staffed by demons whose mission is to leach hope and joy from workers until their lives become a grey featureless nightmare that well prepares them for the eternity of hellish torment that surely follows.

But I guess your explanation is also possible.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Splode posted:

I have yet to see a fully staffed, fully funded it department.

I have seen several ok departments gutted and images on a shoestring budget tho

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

Don't "to be fair" that kind of scummy corporate stupidity.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Dongsturm posted:

I thought it was because HR is staffed by demons whose mission is to leach hope and joy from workers until their lives become a grey featureless nightmare that well prepares them for the eternity of hellish torment that surely follows.

Trust me, I wish I could throw every person who asked me during the Diversity survey push the last few months if they can identify as a Attack Helicopter or if they use the pronoun "They", could they use any bathroom in the warehouse. There was such a low completion rate that Head Office had to add "Prefer Not To Say" option for the employees who refuses to do the diversity survey.

All it did here was rally up the people who are alt-right or alt-right leaning into their "plan-demic" Facebook theories and going on and on how the Canadian Government is removing their rights daily.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

TacticalHoodie posted:

Yeah HR is the enforcement wing for the dickheads in charge. No real surprise that it attracts the same kind of assholes you find in police forces.

The general manager at my company delegated bullying people about late time sheets to the accountant today. Sucks to be her I guess!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TacticalHoodie posted:

I’d believe there are good HR depts somewhere, but ours is somewhat open about being a place to park low achievers so they have lots of free time. Which on one hand it’s a MegaCorp, but on the other hand they have zero initiative and are difficult to work with. Especially when they refuse to send requests through normal channels because “our VP can’t be expected to open a ticket!”

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 11, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dongsturm posted:

Family in HR. Bit of column A, bit of column B.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

TacticalHoodie posted:

All it did here was rally up the people who are alt-right or alt-right leaning into their "plan-demic" Facebook theories and going on and on how the Canadian Government is removing their rights daily.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Splode posted:

In my own IT experience, the attitude that IT "exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists" results in IT getting trampled by know-nothing Sales dipshits that circumvent every process and security measure because "do you know how much money I make this company?" And it's never "you need to change to suit us", it's "you need to change to suit the executive whose pet project this is and who never bothered to get our input and refuses to roll anything back but is requiring us to be the messenger."

Turn out the company that bought us and is rushing the domain migration doesn't give admin accounts to normal users, so of the 400 or so on our side that have admin accounts, about half are being granted the elevated rights the new domain uses, and the rest aren't.

And the executive decision was to not inform them of this, so when they migrate and find out they now longer have an admin account to use with their workflows... LOL, oh well! We've adopted the game plan of "play dumb, help the user put in a request we know will be rejected, and let THAT team explain the new policy, since it's their policy."

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
The problem with HR is that its primary function is to protect the company from the employees. Any purported benefits are mainly for show, and any actual benefit to employees is incidental. Very few people can balance these conflicting goals well, and even with the best of intentions most end up twisted, cynical shells of their former selves.

In short, smash capitalism

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Turns out you can make one person do the work of ten, but only if you have a competent set of support departments staffed by about 9 other people doing various tasks and maintaining various systems.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Enfys posted:

Print out the choice parts of the email and leave/post copies wherever. Maybe change some contact details. Get the whole company in on the fun!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

One of the companies I was at bought a competitor, and our CEO in spent multiple meetings on how amazing it was that their platform was in the CLOUD, and we needed to become more CLOUD centric, and they used gsuite CLOUD instead of crappy ol' Office products.

The purchased company had just dumped their app into AWS with no consideration of costs. After the first AWS bills came in, we were ordered to move the application to on-prem hardware ASAP.
After two weeks of top executives being migrated to GSuite, the company dropped it and moved everybody to Office.
"The CLOUD" never came up again in presentations.

I love how apparently nobody during a vetting process asked basic questions like "what's your OPEX?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

In my own IT experience, the attitude that IT "exist purely to help everyone who actually does the work that is the reason the organisation exists" results in IT getting trampled by know-nothing Sales dipshits that circumvent every process and security measure because "do you know how much money I make this company?" And it's never "you need to change to suit us", it's "you need to change to suit the executive whose pet project this is and who never bothered to get our input and refuses to roll anything back but is requiring us to be the messenger."

Don’t even start on sales. Good LORD