Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I finally beat Ronan. Made one houserule which was that the weapon doesn’t give you an encounter card, you just take 2 damage. I ran Dr.Strange and Hawkeye and ran super control where I was constantly pulling off his weapon and stun locking him so he couldn’t activate as often which helped leave allies on the board for when he got activations during the encounter phase and then I could block then.

It honestly made things a lot better because you still had 3 encounter cards and had to mitigate damage but the encounters weren’t overwhelming. I think I will apply the houserule of no surge to fanaticism as well because right at the end things got especially crazy. Not surge if I wanna do it for rogue vessel as well because rogue vessel has a high cost to get rid of it (kneel Milano and 2 resources) and will at least do 1 damage across heroes.

They definitely overtuned him and it sucks because I easily see the flaws and I think it could have been a tough but fun fight, but they made it overwhelming for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Star-Lord and Gamora are out! I put them through the regular paces to tune the decks, which meant solo fights against Rhino and then Klaw.

Gamora absolutely wrecks stuff up. She is unbelievably good solo, and I think will translate well to multiplayer as well. The fact she can thwart and attack decently and usually on the same turn means you're never too worried about threat, and you're usually dealing constant damage while doing it. Klaw got absolutely bodied. With godslayer out and Combat training, the Masters of Evil was pushovers because Gamora could do 5 damage from a basic attack and then follow up with an attack event. Get some allies out for blocking and Gamora is a whirlwind of destruction. Can't wait to try her double handed against GMW scenarios.

Star-Lord is a bit of a mixed bag. He's got a really different play style that values risk vs. reward. How much do you want to give yourself extra encounter cards to be able to pump out some extra cards? Never go full out unless you're in a really, really favorable spot. I put myself to 3 extra encounters (and then got another one from decking myself) and lost because I drew a bunch of extra "Klaw attacks you" cards. Unlike Gamora it took a couple games before I tweaked the deck to where I got it where I want. The Element Guns are amazing. 3 damage with piercing for one card? Yes please, and you can have two out at the same time. So Star-Lord absolutely rips through minions or villains who like to make themself tough. He can get crazy strong, but you really gotta make sure you put the brakes on things at times and flipping to give yourself a necessary breather to keep allies on the board is a must since he has low defense.

Overall, incredibly pleased with these releases. I think they by far are better than Groot or Rocket as far as how fun they are to use. Looking forward to Drax and Venom. Really want the next big box reveal soon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Star-Lord and Gamora are out! I put them through the regular paces to tune the decks, which meant solo fights against Rhino and then Klaw.

Gamora absolutely wrecks stuff up. She is unbelievably good solo, and I think will translate well to multiplayer as well. The fact she can thwart and attack decently and usually on the same turn means you're never too worried about threat, and you're usually dealing constant damage while doing it. Klaw got absolutely bodied. With godslayer out and Combat training, the Masters of Evil was pushovers because Gamora could do 5 damage from a basic attack and then follow up with an attack event. Get some allies out for blocking and Gamora is a whirlwind of destruction. Can't wait to try her double handed against GMW scenarios.

Star-Lord is a bit of a mixed bag. He's got a really different play style that values risk vs. reward. How much do you want to give yourself extra encounter cards to be able to pump out some extra cards? Never go full out unless you're in a really, really favorable spot. I put myself to 3 extra encounters (and then got another one from decking myself) and lost because I drew a bunch of extra "Klaw attacks you" cards. Unlike Gamora it took a couple games before I tweaked the deck to where I got it where I want. The Element Guns are amazing. 3 damage with piercing for one card? Yes please, and you can have two out at the same time. So Star-Lord absolutely rips through minions or villains who like to make themself tough. He can get crazy strong, but you really gotta make sure you put the brakes on things at times and flipping to give yourself a necessary breather to keep allies on the board is a must since he has low defense.

Overall, incredibly pleased with these releases. I think they by far are better than Groot or Rocket as far as how fun they are to use. Looking forward to Drax and Venom. Really want the next big box reveal soon.

That's really great to hear. I crashed out against Zola using Groot/Protection, the as Groot/Aggression, then as Rocket/Aggression, then as Rocket/Justice because handing Zola an L as Scarlet Witch/Aggression.

Groot really needed 2 copies of his upgrade that gives him growth counters because it's just so hard to keep those on and all his skills are really built around him having a lot of them, plus his upgrades to make him versatile. I might just house rule that his base form adds 4 because it's just so hard to keep them on and against an enemy like Zola where flipping at all could mean death you just can't risk it that often. Maybe he performs better in other matchups but this one he just felt really bad and fiddly.

Rocket on the other hand felt much better. Despite also having a very fiddly playstyle, the punchy-ness felt good and although the matchup was bad, I feel like if I ran him into pretty much any of the other Red Skull scenarios where there's a bunch of low HP Hydra minions for him to tear through the game would have been pretty fun.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Groot is a tank. Against Zola you’re up for a rough ride because there’s a lot of minions and Groot isn’t great against them when they start to stack up. He really relies on someone else giving him a hand. I’ve got a defence build with him that I think works amazing, as it got me all the way to Ronan. However, but it is reliant on your partner being able to push damage for you. He is a bit of a slow buildup as well, as my deck’s whole idea is get him to the point where he has the 3 defence cards where after blocking an attack you get to remove threat. So he’s constantly taking off more than is gaining. You need to be able to run through his deck once in order to get there.

Rocket is…okay. He’s a good all-rounder. Puts out good damage, can thwart a lot especially with his specific card that stands him back up again. However you need a lot of allies to he’s never in danger (same with Star-Lord) and at 9 health he can’t take a hit until you get his upgrade. He might be a bit better now that some of the aerial cards have come out that will work with his boots. My friend runs a leadership deck with him that does pretty decent because it has a bunch of extra tech that can help his discard ability.

Gamora i think is a better all-rounder than Rocket though and can output way better damage.

Star-Lord is well, kinda a mess. He’s strong, he’s REALLY strong and can push thwart and damage like crazy. The drawback is your also giving the villain more opportunity to come back harder at you. I faced Drang and he managed to wear me down because I had some bad draws (3 schemes in a row).

The second run still had some hairy moments but I eventually pulled it off with Gamora outputting about 15 damage on her turn and Star-Lord doing another 7 (and could have done more) on his for a great final takedown. He really throws off the rhythm of the game because your getting more encounter cards per turn.

Edit: I haven’t run Zola in a while but I don’t remember him giving me too much trouble. I’ll maybe run him with Gamora/Groot tomorrow and see how it goes.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

That's really great to hear. I crashed out against Zola using Groot/Protection, the as Groot/Aggression, then as Rocket/Aggression, then as Rocket/Justice because handing Zola an L as Scarlet Witch/Aggression.

Groot really needed 2 copies of his upgrade that gives him growth counters because it's just so hard to keep those on and all his skills are really built around him having a lot of them, plus his upgrades to make him versatile. I might just house rule that his base form adds 4 because it's just so hard to keep them on and against an enemy like Zola where flipping at all could mean death you just can't risk it that often. Maybe he performs better in other matchups but this one he just felt really bad and fiddly.

Rocket on the other hand felt much better. Despite also having a very fiddly playstyle, the punchy-ness felt good and although the matchup was bad, I feel like if I ran him into pretty much any of the other Red Skull scenarios where there's a bunch of low HP Hydra minions for him to tear through the game would have been pretty fun.

So I tried against Zola and won. The main scheme got close to going to next level at times (11/12 at one point) but Groot/Protection and Gamora/Aggression absolutely trashed him. It took a long time (he eventually had 3 acceleration tokens) but once I built myself up the minions started to become nothing but speed bumps.

You shouldn’t have a ton of difficulty with this one I think, some bad hands can definitely cause problems but a defensive play to start that focuses on minion removal and then switching to high aggression late should take care of things.

Some questions I would have would be

1) You aren’t having the Zola’s Mutate search the deck if he comes into play from the counters, are you? Because he’s not revealed at that point.

2) What does your Groot protection deck look like? If you don’t mind, I’d love if you would maybe PM me to see what you’re running. Groot was an absolutely beast for me. I had to flip a couple times to get tokens back on him, but otherwise he was rarely taking damage and did heavy chip damage.

Groot is slow and kinda boring to be honest, but he’s drat tough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

So I tried against Zola and won. The main scheme got close to going to next level at times (11/12 at one point) but Groot/Protection and Gamora/Aggression absolutely trashed him. It took a long time (he eventually had 3 acceleration tokens) but once I built myself up the minions started to become nothing but speed bumps.

You shouldn’t have a ton of difficulty with this one I think, some bad hands can definitely cause problems but a defensive play to start that focuses on minion removal and then switching to high aggression late should take care of things.

Some questions I would have would be

1) You aren’t having the Zola’s Mutate search the deck if he comes into play from the counters, are you? Because he’s not revealed at that point.

2) What does your Groot protection deck look like? If you don’t mind, I’d love if you would maybe PM me to see what you’re running. Groot was an absolutely beast for me. I had to flip a couple times to get tokens back on him, but otherwise he was rarely taking damage and did heavy chip damage.

Groot is slow and kinda boring to be honest, but he’s drat tough.

I'm playing solo so that's probably part of the issue. Not every hero works well on their own and I can totally see Groot as being one that doesn't.

To your first point I was not doing that, and minion control wasn't too much of an issue. All my losses came from a turn where I flipped when Zola had 1-2 threat on the main scheme then hit a double scheme turn through an encounter card with 2-3 icons on his boost cards. So the issue of losing I didn't feel like it was particularly Groot's/Rocket's fault. Scarlet Witch's own ability or her Tiara can both really help mitigate bad boost cards.

Deck wise, I had 6 copies of the "take no damage:ready" effect, armor for +1 def, energy barrier for 3 uses of -1 damage, two copies of each thing that procs when you take no damage, can't remember what else exactly but everything after that was mostly allies and offensive damage cards.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I'm playing solo so that's probably part of the issue. Not every hero works well on their own and I can totally see Groot as being one that doesn't.

Ah, yeah. True solo, protection is bad. They just don’t have enough firepower to keep up. They claim they do balance for true solo players but honestly only the top tier heroes can really shine. I usually reserve true solo for Rhino and Klaw for deckbuilding purposes and then go two hand solo against everyone else.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

PaybackJack posted:

To your first point I was not doing that, and minion control wasn't too much of an issue. All my losses came from a turn where I flipped when Zola had 1-2 threat on the main scheme then hit a double scheme turn through an encounter card with 2-3 icons on his boost cards. So the issue of losing I didn't feel like it was particularly Groot's/Rocket's fault. Scarlet Witch's own ability or her Tiara can both really help mitigate bad boost cards.

Deck wise, I had 6 copies of the "take no damage:ready" effect, armor for +1 def, energy barrier for 3 uses of -1 damage, two copies of each thing that procs when you take no damage, can't remember what else exactly but everything after that was mostly allies and offensive damage cards.

Energy Barrier doesn't work with Groot unless you are all out of growth tokens. The forced response takes priority. Try Justice Groot next time you play him solo. Under Surveillance and Counterintelligence makes flipping extremely safe even if the villain double schemes so you can get all the growth tokens.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

Energy Barrier doesn't work with Groot unless you are all out of growth tokens. The forced response takes priority.

That's too bad.

The Black Stones posted:

Ah, yeah. True solo, protection is bad. They just don’t have enough firepower to keep up. They claim they do balance for true solo players but honestly only the top tier heroes can really shine.

Yeah, I think you're right on that. I kind of figured since Captain America and Quicksilver did well as Protection that Groot would as well.

Anyway, I'm onto checking out Red Skull vs Ant-Man Aggression, so far I'm 1-2 against Expert.

I'd also love to know if anyone has any other ideas for Heroes to use Leadership with other than Captain America.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

That's too bad.
I'd also love to know if anyone has any other ideas for Heroes to use Leadership with other than Captain America.

I have a Hawkeye leadership build that is awesome. It takes a small bit to get setup though because the idea is to get 4 cost reducers out (team building exercise, helicarrier, quincarrier, avengers tower) and then you never take a hit during the attack phase again, you keep sending Mockingbird back to your hand, and back out next turn.

My friend built an awesome Spider-Man leadership build. Get honorary avenger on Black Cat, and then a bunch of upgrades on her so she can’t hit for 3 damage a turn (gloves and inspired).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

My friend built an awesome Spider-Man leadership build. Get honorary avenger on Black Cat, and then a bunch of upgrades on her so she can’t hit for 3 damage a turn (gloves and inspired).

I really want to play a Starlord and Spiderman teamup where Starlord uses Make The Call to play Black Cat and Spiderman plays Honorary Avenger on Yondu and Black Cat. Would let Starlord play Inspired, Powered Gauntlets, Sky Cycle, and the new Laser Pistol on both of them. Would end up dealing 16 damage a round with overkill.

edit:

PaybackJack posted:

That's too bad.

I'm actually glad Groot can't use Energy Barrier because it has been in every protection deck I've run since its release. I find it nice to have a hero who doesn't want to use the best protection card. He also makes the "when you block if you take no damage" cards really shine, which was an archetype that didn't quite work prior to Hard to Ignore. I'm extremely happy with protection Groot in two player. Especially when you count your cards to make sure you are likely to have an upcoming Bait and Switch before swapping to alter ego to get more growth tokens and card draw from his location.

Nearly every hero can use leadership, it is usually considered the best or second best aspect in the game depending on who you ask.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 10, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ant-man can use leadership, especially with the earths mightiest heroes to do several six damage attacks in giant form.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

McBober released an entire Star Wars expansion for marvel. It has two scenarios and is available if you look them up on steam. I recommend R2-D2 and giving him Jedi powers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Had some good wins tonight. Ms. Marvel:Aggression took out Expert Drang. Then I took the advice of The Black Stones to play Spider-Man:Leadership, and took out Expert Collector,Infiltrate the Museum.

Watched a video from Dale the Casual Gamer where he took on Standard Ronan with Ms.Marvel and had a pretty godly draw but it was still mighty close so I'm not looking forward to trying to crack that nut.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
IMO, my recommendation is a slight tweak where when you pay the cost of removing his weapon, you take damage but don’t get an extra encounter card. That managed to make it really bearable when I faced him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

After getting frustrated with Black Panther vs The Collector(Escape), I decided to try and find a hero that I could run through the Hydra Campaign, solo, expert, and that I hadn't played yet. I felt like Spider-Woman would be a good choice but got very stuck on Crossbones, only winning 1 game out of 5. My aspects were protection and aggression, but I still lacked the big damage needed to take him out and just slowly got beaten down by encounter cards. 3 of the games, I'd have the win in hand and then my encounter card would be a Hydra Soldier and it would all go to hell. Hydra Soldier is just way too effective in solo. 4 health is probably the biggest issue since that means you'll probably need two sources of damage to pick him off. Pretty much every game I lose is because the encounter cards just absolutely gently caress me.

The one game I did win, felt like I just got lucky as I started with a hand that let me get out three resource support cards and that meant I could consistently play 3 cards a turn in hero form. Better resource cards is something I'm really looking forward to in future sets; Deft Focus is already amazing for the heroes that can really make use of it.

Still feels like Spider-Woman is going to be a good choice for a Solo hydra campaign but I'll have to go back to the drawing board on building her for the long run.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Justice leadership? Or aggression leadership with a She hulk or Cap Marvel Voltron.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

After getting frustrated with Black Panther vs The Collector(Escape), I decided to try and find a hero that I could run through the Hydra Campaign, solo, expert, and that I hadn't played yet. I felt like Spider-Woman would be a good choice but got very stuck on Crossbones, only winning 1 game out of 5. My aspects were protection and aggression, but I still lacked the big damage needed to take him out and just slowly got beaten down by encounter cards. 3 of the games, I'd have the win in hand and then my encounter card would be a Hydra Soldier and it would all go to hell. Hydra Soldier is just way too effective in solo. 4 health is probably the biggest issue since that means you'll probably need two sources of damage to pick him off. Pretty much every game I lose is because the encounter cards just absolutely gently caress me.

The one game I did win, felt like I just got lucky as I started with a hand that let me get out three resource support cards and that meant I could consistently play 3 cards a turn in hero form. Better resource cards is something I'm really looking forward to in future sets; Deft Focus is already amazing for the heroes that can really make use of it.

Still feels like Spider-Woman is going to be a good choice for a Solo hydra campaign but I'll have to go back to the drawing board on building her for the long run.

What’s your Spider-Woman build? I’ve got one that runs aggression/defence that handles things pretty darn good, but I also don’t usually do true solo. Most of my decks usually have it where if there’s a weakness the other deck I pair it with covers for it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Justice leadership? Or aggression leadership with a She hulk or Cap Marvel Voltron.

Typical basic double resources, Quincarrier, helicarrierx2, Fury, Ironheart and Mockingbird, plus 2 copies of Deft Focus.

Aggression is: Hulk, Wasp, Bug, 2 piercing strikes and a combat training.
Protection is: 3x desperate defense, Clea, Starhawk, Night Nurse, and perseverance.

Pretty much all the cheap stuff. Desperate defense to help soak up bigger attacks without losing the ability to swing. Actually I'd say that's the whole deck is just trying to mitigate the villain's attack while putting her skills into whatever is needed.

Probably too many upgrade resource cards but I really want 1 in my opening hand and usually don't mind seeing them late game unless they all totally clump together. I feel like if you're going to run resource upgrades you should run enough that they're consistent.

Fury and Mockingbird are probably the cards that don't fit into Jessica's theme but they're so efficient that it's hard to cut them. Same for Ironheart.

I might switch to Aggression/Justice though because I feel like this is going to be very painful when it comes to having to Thwart Redskulls schemes away every turn. The "Voltron" build of Leadership/Agro sounds fun but feels like it would be better in a multiplayer game since it means assembling all the pieces and that would be best with another Hero to help cover for you.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hmmm, I don't really like what you have in the Spider-Woman deck. Nick, Mockingbird, Ironheart are all basics and her deck does not gel well at all with having basics in it. You want to reduce those as much as possible to get more benefit out her aspect cards.

This is my Spider-Woman deck:

Protection: 3x Desperate Defense, 2x Side Step, 1x Nerves of Steel, 1x Momentum Shift, 1x Armored Vest, 1x Unflappable, 1x Med Team, 1x Clea
Aggression: 3x Drop Kick, 3x Press the Advantage, 2x Toe to Toe, 1x Into the Fray, 1x Looking for Trouble, 1x Spider-Girl, 1x Martial Prowess
Basics: 3 resources, Helicarrier, Deft Focus

It puts me at 42 cards, but overall the deck has always handled itself pretty well even when I do solo.

Drop Kick + Pheromones means you can constantly stun the villain to give yourself breathing room. Toe to Toe means when I get a minion out and I have tough or decent health, have the minion attack me and I easily kill it. Into the Fray, Looking for Trouble are there to help with some threat if needed.

Having Martial Prowess and Nerves of Steel out means that I can constantly play my low cost defense events without issue, and also with Drop Kick I can use her cost reducers and martial prowess to play a drop kick free and even get a card back. No Combat Training because honestly, she doesn't need it. Rely on lots of chip damage and use her to mainly thwart and only do attack when you know you've got an opening, so her having boosted defense plays better especially with Desperate Defense. Side Step also means you can just eat a hit once or twice if needed.

Med Team is there for Captain Marvel, once she hits the board and you get Med Team out, you can get good thwarting or attacking for lots of rounds. Unflappable is obvious good combo with desperate defense.

--------------

Your deck lacks any cards beyond Spider-Woman's main cards that offer a lot of firepower. Quincarrier and Helicarrier are hard for her to put out, and having both in there is asking for turns where you're not doing anything because you are just trying to get those out. Deft Focus IMO, is a replacement for a Quincarrier or Helicarrier because it pays for the huge majority of Spider-Woman's unique, and then putting either Quinn Carrier or Heli as your second cost reducer means that you can consistently play some other cards easier, but you're not sitting on a lot of high cost cards that are tough to put out.

I'd also recommend looking at how much allies are useful with her, because with the defense aspect, I find that I don't need them as much as I think I do, especially with a bit of a focus on stuns.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

See I just don't understand how you afford all those high cost cards when you only run a few resources. How can you soak turns where you just play Medteam and nothing else? I mean I guess if you're shifting into alter-ego every other turn then you can handle it. I find flipping into alter-ego incredibly risk unless the villain is confused because of the potential for a double scheme turn.

I like some of your ideas though, Side-Step could be useful. And I may be overly reliant on cheap allies for damage and soaking hits from the villain. Since the Hydra modular sets are going to be present through the whole campaign Toe to Toe should be pretty useful.

You also reminded me that I wanted to try and work in Counter Punch so I'll make some changes and report back.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
At first you gotta be willing to dump your hand to play stuff and flip a bit more often to fill up and use stuff like her apartment. Timing it when you’re able to confuse is a huge plus. Once you have at least one cost reducer out it’s already a huge bonus, once you’re running both finesses, then it’s easy to slap out a med team and something else. If I draw Med Team and I don’t have the combo needed to play it or the cost reducers yet, it’s fodder for something I can play.

Getting Nerves of Steel out is huge, because when you have that out with unflappable. You’re not burning cards to pay for your defence cards, and you’re now also drawing cards. Martial Prowess is big because it helps pay for the protection attack event.

Having less allies in the deck and more permanent stuff that stays on the board is good with Spider-Woman because after I’ve decked myself once, I should now be speeding through the deck because hopefully all my cost reducers have hit the table. So now not only can I pay for stuff easier, her ability triggers even more often because my event cards should be the only stuff remaining.

I have some high cost in there, but they all work with her cards. Finesse is incredibly powerful. Putting in basics, even if they’re cheap like Ironheart, means you have to spend the 2 cards to put her out (or use a 2 resource card) and you don’t get her trigger off.

I’d honestly remove almost all the basics you can except what’s needed most so you know you’re almost always going to get at least a +1/2 bonus. My friend built a leadership/protection deck that works really well but I think it’s more a complimentary deck for 2 player because I covered for him a lot. It was built around getting Captain Marvel out and then being able to stand her multiple times for card draw. Neat, but relies heavily on a slow setup.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

My friend built a leadership/protection deck that works really well but I think it’s more a complimentary deck for 2 player because I covered for him a lot. It was built around getting Captain Marvel out and then being able to stand her multiple times for card draw. Neat, but relies heavily on a slow setup.

I love that build but I also include Iron Man so you can get going a bit earlier.

My old version https://marvelcdb.com/deck/view/104132 was easily one of the most powerful decks I've built. Hard mulligan for Call for Aid, Iron Man, or Captain Marvel and prioritizing Med Team works wonders.

edit: removed the new build because nope, did not work.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 18, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Revised the Spider-Woman deck and went 5-3 with one of the losses being a total LOL when I miraclulously thwarted Legions of Hydra and then had a lucky counterpunch to Madam Hydra only for the encounter card that turn to be the other copy of Legion of Hydra and it was just over from there. Here's the new line up:
Aggression - Martial Prowess, Combat Training, Drop Kick, Bug, Hulk, Wasp, Toe to Toe x2, Press the Advantage x2, and Drop Kick x2
Protection - Side Step x2, Clea, Night Nurse, Unflappable, Desperate Defense x3, Counter Punch x3
Basic - Helicarrier, QuinCarrier, Deft Focus x2

The last game I even managed to end with full life so we'll see how badly things go against Absorbing Man now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Sounds like a huge improvement. Yeah, sometimes you’ll lose no matter how good you do because the villain deck screws you super hard.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just another reason to play two handed, reduces variance.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Quick question on the escape from the museum scenario, when you would flip him to the b side and he activates he would still get a boost card for whichever action he is doing right? It seemed weird to me to boost nothing but I figured since it still had a printed value instead of a null he would activate as usual.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Correct. He still boosts. The reason for it is that even if he’s attacking/scheming with 0 the boost can still do slight damage or scheme.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Spider-Woman has advanced to Red Skull. 9 hp, improved thwart set up card. Villains are getting all the experimental weapons, 5 time counters from Absorbing Man(stun locked him 4/5 turns), no allies freed from Task Master, and was engaged with an enemy versus Zola. My tech card from Crossbones was the 5 damage to the board cannon which was extremely helpful for clearing Zola's minions but he still managed to sneak on by on the last round I couldn't handle.

Feels like I'm in a good place to deal with Red Skull.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved most of the initial run of Marvel Champions but have hopped off playing for a while due to the villain decks being catered to the most hardcore players imaginable. I kind of want them to just put out some standalone villain decks for a while and/or tone down some of the poo poo you have to deal with. Also kind of seems like there's been some power creep with the hero decks which isn't too big of a deal--I can still play Spidey, Thor, She-Hulk--but I'm wondering if they can have some errata/added cards for poor shmucks like Hulk.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

I loved most of the initial run of Marvel Champions but have hopped off playing for a while due to the villain decks being catered to the most hardcore players imaginable. I kind of want them to just put out some standalone villain decks for a while and/or tone down some of the poo poo you have to deal with. Also kind of seems like there's been some power creep with the hero decks which isn't too big of a deal--I can still play Spidey, Thor, She-Hulk--but I'm wondering if they can have some errata/added cards for poor shmucks like Hulk.

Which Villains are you talking about?

Everything in Rise of Red Skull is doable on casual. Me and my friend cleared with little issues. It wasn’t until Galaxy’s Most Wanted with Nebula and Ronan that they decided to go pants on head stupid with the difficulty.

Hulks kit is perfectly fine IMO, they don’t need errata/added cards they need to change Hulk. Hulks downside just sucks, plain and simple. It’s too big a barrier because you can do zero planning. Drew an avengers mansion? Better hope it came with some resource cards or goodbye! What a bad idea.

The only other hero I think actually does need a full change of cards is She-Hulk as her kit plain sucks. Needs another of the heavy damage card, and stuff like ground stomp just sucks. 2 cost for 1 damage to everything, oh yeah that’s real awesome! Orrrrrrrr, I could just play Ant-Man and do a 3 cost for 8 damage and 1 to minions instead. That sounds infinitely better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Which Villains are you talking about?

Everything in Rise of Red Skull is doable on casual. Me and my friend cleared with little issues. It wasn’t until Galaxy’s Most Wanted with Nebula and Ronan that they decided to go pants on head stupid with the difficulty.

Hulks kit is perfectly fine IMO, they don’t need errata/added cards they need to change Hulk. Hulks downside just sucks, plain and simple. It’s too big a barrier because you can do zero planning. Drew an avengers mansion? Better hope it came with some resource cards or goodbye! What a bad idea.

The only other hero I think actually does need a full change of cards is She-Hulk as her kit plain sucks. Needs another of the heavy damage card, and stuff like ground stomp just sucks. 2 cost for 1 damage to everything, oh yeah that’s real awesome! Orrrrrrrr, I could just play Ant-Man and do a 3 cost for 8 damage and 1 to minions instead. That sounds infinitely better.

I've had the same issues you did with Collector/Nebula/Ronan lol. I think it was a big disappointment compared to Zola/Crossbones/Red Skull which had challenge but is more doable. I'm hoping with their next scenario pack with The Hood it'll be more toned down.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Collector is good IMO. The first one is a bit tough because you gotta constantly keep in mind the collection and deal with it, but the upside is that he hits for nothing so it’s easier to stay in hero form and deal with problems.

The second collector fight is awesome. Really fun mechanic of the farther you go in the more he’s going to be able to put the hurt on you but near the end you should have your engine full blast.

Nebula and Ronan are where things become utter poo poo. All the good ideas they had turned their brain into mush and they just wrote “SURGE IS GOOD?” on a napkin and decided that was the goal for Nebula and Ronan and boy those scenarios are just piss piles of not fun.

If spoilers are correct Titan’s Shadow will be the next thing announced and I really want to see if they listened to feedback from the players because it was clear from the discourse that things were tuned poorly and I want to see if they were able to pivot the difficulty from when they released Galaxy’s Most Wanted. It will be interesting to see what happens, because while Rise of Red Skull got panned for having a poor campaign, I think it ultimately ended up being the better box because all the villains handle well outside of it and are okay to play against.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
My understanding is that the development pipeline means the Titan's Shadow box was finished before GMW released, so it won't reflect any wider community feedback.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll probably have to wait until the next cycle to see some real big changes in design. They're usually a cycle ahead of what's announced. It's possible that the testers hated the difficult spike and got feedback to them and they incorporated it into the next box but it's more likely that the retail player feedback won't be addressed until after Vision.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

You'll probably have to wait until the next cycle to see some real big changes in design. They're usually a cycle ahead of what's announced. It's possible that the testers hated the difficult spike and got feedback to them and they incorporated it into the next box but it's more likely that the retail player feedback won't be addressed until after Vision.

I mean, if the testers hate the difficulty spike, you’d think they’d change the difficulty? If anything, I think the testers they’re using have gotten to the point where they had such high tuned decks that the content creators tried to make content to break those decks and that’s what led to the bad decisions of GMW because I don’t see in any way how they could have play tested with the pack in decks and went “yeah this is fine”

If they can’t course correct for the next expansion, they need to address that they’re aware it was a problem. If they don’t acknowledge something went wrong with GMW (and it continued into the next expansion) I can see a lot of people not wanting to keep up with the game as it gets more difficult. They used to do streams where they answered questions live but with COVID they stopped and there’s pretty much 0 interaction with the creators now so it’s impossible to know how they feel about how GMW went down.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am kinda okay with the Thanos box being difficult because it is Thanos. He should be one of the most difficult villains in the game.

But once we go 'back to earth' and we are fighting Spiderman villains or whatever, they should tone it down. There is no reason Dr. Octopus needs to be as hard as Thanos.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The argument is that basically anyone who keeps up with the game past a year into the life cycle is a hardcore who is going to want an increased challenge. I think the more important thing is that seeing stuff like The Collector gives me more hope for different win conditions in the future. I'm hoping that Thanos isn't a "punch him in the face" kind of fight and more a tactical tug of war over all the stones.

The Black Stones posted:

I mean, if the testers hate the difficulty spike, you’d think they’d change the difficulty? If anything, I think the testers they’re using have gotten to the point where they had such high tuned decks that the content creators tried to make content to break those decks and that’s what led to the bad decisions of GMW because I don’t see in any way how they could have play tested with the pack in decks and went “yeah this is fine”

One thing to keep in mind with this is that testers don't always playtest stuff in the order it's actually released sometimes so if they were play testing the whole guardians cycle in a bubble then they might have felt this was fine. This has been a huge problem with some of the other LCGs because a card will be designed tested, then totally throw off the first few months of balance because the counter wasn't printed until a few packs later.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Here is a question what is everyone using for storage solutions for Champions? I had the GO7 insert but the guardians put it past the being able to fit into one so I've currently split it between the 2 expansion boxes and it just doesn't feel efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am kinda okay with the Thanos box being difficult because it is Thanos. He should be one of the most difficult villains in the game.

I’d agree, but they’ve already messed up by making Ronan almost impossible to beat. If Ronan is so tough, shouldn’t Thanos be tougher?

Yes, he can be difficult, but should still have a good chance to win. If they tweaked him anything like Ronan, it’s going to be another unfun slog. Ronan also really isn’t a difficult villain, but a poorly designed one that makes things difficult. Yes, if you give the player so many encounter cards they will eventually not be able to come back from it, it’s not great design.

Losem posted:

Here is a question what is everyone using for storage solutions for Champions? I had the GO7 insert but the guardians put it past the being able to fit into one so I've currently split it between the 2 expansion boxes and it just doesn't feel efficient.

I have a huge BCW box for my heroes and the GMW expansion, and a quiver storage case for the other villain sets.

For cards I’m not using they’re in another BCW box that’s not as big.