Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What's our trainer situation like? Either we got supremely unlucky or there's something afoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Let's talk our offseason plan.

From where I sit, we've kicked the can down the road enough. It is time to cash in our prospect chips and try to field a competitive team. We probably won't have what it takes to overtake the M's powerhouse, but I think we can push for a playoff spot next season. Here's a quick review of where we sit:

SPs:
Julio Gonzalez going down long term really hurts us. But, we had three solid pitching performances last year (Jack Perkins, Joe Bradley, Wesley Scott), and some good news on the prospect front: Jeff Critz is up to 5 stars in Pete's view, and is up to #31 on the big list. He's ready for the show next year. Coressel probably as well, but expectations there should be pretty low. This really means we need to add at least one solid starter. We can either sign a free agent -- Antoine Kelly looks like the best option, at around $20m AAV. Or, we can send Pete out to find a trade target.

RPs:
From where I sit, we're looking solid here. We had a good pen last year, and we have several youngsters ready to make the next step. Unfortunately, Joe Getts is not one of them: his elbow exploded in September and he's out for a year.

C: Josh Gibson is raring to go. 266/340/436 in AAA last year, and his work behind the plate has improved a lot. No brainer to bring him to the show.

1B: Ken Shank just destroyed AA/AAA last year: 372/473/719, to be exact. He's...uh...ready. We could stand to trade either Reggie Crawford or Tyler Locklear to make room for him, but the one we keep will be our DH.

2B: Livan Soto is not very exciting, but we did have a guy emerge from the depths of our minor league system: Mike Miner is a shaky glove, but he could be a 250/350/550 type hitter. We could also make a move for a guy here, but I think we should give Miner a long look. Matt McLain is an interesting free agent option, he is a solid 3 star player.

SS: We have a pair of all-glove players here: Tommy Troy and Jordan Medellin. Both are not super exciting, but they're a reliable pair. We could make a move for a guy here if we wanted, but a meaningful upgrade would be hard to come by. Fransico Lindor is 35 now, but is still elite...and available as a free agent...for a price.

3B: Billy Beck is good to go here.

LF: Leatherwood is probably fine, at least for one more season. We have several COFs coming up behind him the next few years so no need to rush to replace him.

CF: Gabe Briggs is raring to go also. He won't have his full-blown power yet, but he should OPS around 800 and be a plus glove in center. Tatum Marsh could be trade bait, or we could stash him as a 4th OF.

RF: Briggs could play here with Marsh in center, or we could take a look at youngster Ed Cardenas. He's bad with the glove, but a potentially elite bat. Otherwise, we'd need a backfill.

So...from where I sit, we should look for another SP, either a 2B or SS, and possibly a short-term COF solution.

VOTE

This is more complex than usual.

Our options are basically to stand pat, dive into free agency, or dumpster dive. It isn't likely anyone deals us an elite ML-ready young SP or 2B/SS, but a decent COF bat is a possibility.

So, VOTE for each position.

1. SP. FA, Dumpster, Stand Pat
2. 2B. FA, Dumpster, Stand Pat
3. SS. FA, Dumpster, Stand Pat
4. COF. FA, Dumpster, Stand Pat

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

What's our trainer situation like? Either we got supremely unlucky or there's something afoot.

He's actually one of the best in the game. Last year was just an absolute shitshow both on the field and for injuries.

We could fire him as a scapegoat, but no one available is anywhere near as good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally, we need NICKNAMES

- Josh Gibson (I call him "Gibby" in my head but that isn't very innovative)
- Gabe Briggs
- Ken Shank

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gabe "two stroke" briggs (briggs & stratton) (or "lawnmower")

whats up with gibby's pop?

SP - FA
2B - dumpster
SS - fuckin sign Lindor baby
COF - pat

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats up with gibby's pop?

Coming along...slowly. He has a 75 power tool and did hit 16 dingers in 350 PAs last year so we're making progress. Think he could hit 30 over a full season now and might top off at 40-45 depending on how many games he gets into.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

bewbies posted:

We call up Joe "LAWDOG" Bradley (#74 overall), a big right hander who has developed VERY nicely over the last 2 seasons.

LAW DOG
I hope he's mentored by Fred McGriff.

fake edit: oh hey, another page with another update...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
SP: dumpster
2B: stand pat
SS: stand pat
COF: take a look at Cardenas

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SP - FA
2B - dumpster
COF - pat

This!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bewbies posted:

Coming along...slowly. He has a 75 power tool and did hit 16 dingers in 350 PAs last year so we're making progress. Think he could hit 30 over a full season now and might top off at 40-45 depending on how many games he gets into.

I guess his ISO isn't so bad, .170? puts you in IRL schwarber / pavin smith territory

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
SP: dumpster
2B: stand pat
SS: stand pat
COF: dumpster

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SP - FA
2B - dumpster
COF - pat

I'm on board.

I'd be willing to dumpster dive for a 4/5 pitcher, but we have a rotation of those guys. Need a solid ace-type.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2029

We make our first actual free agent moves as GM of the A's!

First, after a long period of negotiations, we ink Edwar Colina to a 4 year, $64 mil deal with a TO in the final year. Colina is 31 and works mainly off a fastball/slider combo. Did well for years in Minnesota but wound up as a tweener for them last year. He's a quality starter on a reasonable deal; should play well in our ballpark and with our defense.

Next, almost a joke, I offered Frankie Lindo a borderline lowball offer of 3 years, $75 mil, with the last year a TO. And...he took it, much to my surprise. He's 35 now and slowing a bit, but the elite glove is still there and he slashed 290/333/518 last season for 5.3 WAR in only 547 PAs, so we got ourselves a star SS who we've been flirting with on and off for years. He's super durable as well -- he could still decline from age during this deal, but hes about as consistent/healthy as they come and we're only on the hook for 2 seasons. (note: I honestly just offered this as kind of a joke, I did not think he'd accept it, or that it wouldn't be beaten by another team.

Later, I'm browsing the old "trade block" and expecting to see the usual: guys in the last year of deals or overpaid vets and teams demanding multiple elite prospects for them. But then, out of nowhere...Ryan Kirk shows up.

If this guy isn't the most Oakland A's guy of all time I dunno who is. Five good pitches, no velocity, a career defined by being overlooked first by the Yankees (who waived him) and the Red Wings (who traded him for nothing). Yet, he's thrown 3.61 ERA ball over 394 career innings. He won't throw 200 IP (probably) but we got a quality started still in pre-arb for nothing. Never mind that he's 32.

We also take a flyer on Nate Pearson, an incredibly talented pitcher who battled injuries and inconsistency his entire career. He was great for the Dodgers last season and is a cheap buy, both in salary ($7.5 mil this year and next, with next season a PO) and player capital (he came over for a nothing prospect).

Finally, well into ST, we sign old Mariner flame Josh Lowe on a 2 year, $17 mil deal, with the 2nd year a TO. He's not a superstar, but he's a great glove in left and could still crack 30 dingers.

Injuries resume in the Spring. Sam Bello is our for the year with the thread title - flexor tendon, 10-11 months.

When it becomes clear that Tyler Locklear will be the odd man out of the regular season lineup, we put him on the trade block. The Dodgers come back with Reid Johnston, who is an incredibly talented but somewhat fragile starting pitcher in the last year of his last arb deal. Who...we sent over to LA back in 2026. Oh well. He'll be a good low-risk option this season.

Opening Day Lineup

1. Mike Miner, 2B
2. Reggie Crawford, DH
3. Ken Shank, 1B
4. Josh Gibson, C
5. Billy Beck, 3B
6. Josh Lowe, LF
7. Francisco Lindor, SS
8. Lawnmower Briggs, RF
9. Tatum Marsh, CF

Jesus Galiz, C
Jordan Medellin, IF
Hayden Leatherwood, OF
Alexander Canario, OF

1. Nate Pearson
2. Reid Johnston
3. Edwar Colina
4. Ryan Kirk
5. Joe Bradley

Jose Chambuco (CL)
Jack Perkins
Brody Brecht
Mike Taylor
Connor Hegan
Jeff Critz
Jonathan Gonzalez
Tommy Coressel (SP)

We're tipped to win 90 games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

90 is a preeeeetty significant jump. It's no Mariners toppler, but ASB is gonna be fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell yeah brother that Lindor deal is :discourse:, 2/50 if he has one or two good years left, 3/75 if he's got 3. :hellyeah:

what happened to the boys we passed on to draft Coressel?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

My favorite part of a 90 win team is using every 3.5+ WAR player to stuff the minors full of prospects the following season

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What simulation style? I presume it's the standard "don't bother me unless it's more than 2 weeks injury" and sim through to AS break in one go?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2029 Draft and All-Star Break
47-40, .540, 3rd Place, AL West

We got out to a raring 0-5 start, and local sports talk radio was starting to call for our heads. We turned it around quickly enough, and found ourselves in a tight battle for the AL West between...everyone but the Astros.

We lost Tatum Marsh for a month to a bad back; he's turned into a surprisingly useful ballplayer.

One a local pariah, Felix Lopez emerged from the shadows as one of baseball's top young sluggers. Even after AgeGate, his talent was tough to ignore -- and as we stashed him rookie ball, he quietly slashed 330/492/766. This was enough to get him a nice bump to his projections and get him back into the top 100. He's starting the season at AAA...as a 20 year old, and sporting a 65 contact, 70 power, and 70 discipline toolset. He's still raw in the field, but his arm is a straight 80. If he takes another big step this year he might be ready for the show next season.

Ken Shank's enormous frame and relentless approach at the plate earns him the nickname "Onslaught", after the comic book character. He isn't 10 feet tall or 900 lbs, but he is 6'6" 200.

Our rookies struggle a bit to adjust to the big leagues, as is typical. They start to hit their groove right about the same time the Mariners start flexing their muscles. The Rangers fall off in epic fashion and are below .500 by July.

The tattered remains of Yoan Moncada and Randy Arozarena show up in our system. They're both 34 now and have been jamming around AAA for a couple years.

Tommy Coressel's scouting reports keep getting worse. He now projects as kind of a middling reliever, though he has an excellent first spring of MLB ball.

Conversely, Josh Gibson's entry into the show is met by a nice bump in his rading. He's now a 75/75 contact/power, and harder to strike out than ever.

A kid named Michael "Air" Jordan emerges as one of the best pitchers in baseball, and a solid hitter and outfielder to boot. It took some years of development, but his relentless drive and borderline psychotic competitiveness appear to have molded him into a top shelf ballplayer.

We sign Luis "Stinky" Lora as our international free agent. He's a lanky 18 year old who had hit 95 on the gun and rocks a plus slider and fastball. Only 3 pitches is a concern; hopefully they'll all be very...good...pitches. He slots in the top 100 at #51, but he's very, very, very raw.

I stopped it at the draft as we have the #3 overall pick, and this may be the last high pick we have for a while.

Here are our draft possibilities:

Jonathan Jarocki throws two blazing fastballs. And sort of a changeup. Raw for his age but astonishing stuff.

Ken Hodges throws even harder, and throws...a fastball, and three different kinds of offspeed pitch. Also just incredible stuff, and good intangibles to boot.

Milt Holdeman comes from a very different school of pitching. He throws six pitches, including four different kinds of changeup.

Chris Zwick is another very polished COF/1B/3B bat. Nearly ML-ready now; projects as an OBP monster with plenty of dingers. We have a lot of depth at his positions, though.

Vernon Wider is a much more traditional pitcher with a couple 70 tool pitches and potential plus control.

NARD

I missed a Legend of Baseball entry, so to compensate, we'll be putting in two Legends of Baseball.

The first is Big Al Delia. He hits dingers. And that is it. And is 5'8", 275.

The next is Randy "Macho Man" Savage He's a bit raw, but he has a lot of...charisma. And strength.

VOTE

1. Jarocki
2. Hodges
3. Holdeman
4. Zwick
5. Wider
6. NARD

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As for the trade deadline, the only place I see a major upgrade need is...our bullpen, ironically enough. We can have Pete hunt for either a rental or a longer-term solution. Or, do nothing.

VOTE

1. Find a rental. Likely costs less/is a better pitcher now, but won't be retained after this season or possibly next.
2. Find a cost-controlled youngster. Bullpen arms are notoriously erratic, but they come relatively cheap, and keeping them in their TC years is a good strategy.
3. Do nothing. Our pen is fine, just an unlucky start.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what happened to the boys we passed on to draft Coressel?

Aiden Harris was the #1 overall prospect; now he's elite at 4 defensive positions (1B/3B/LF/RF) and his bat is coming around. He isn't murdering the ball yet, but he has a lot of room to grow.

Chris Berry was the #72 overall prospect; he put up 5.1 WAR in his rookie season and won Rookie of the Year. Slowed down a bit this year but still playing well.

Chris Groce is currently the #7 overall prospect and is destroying rookie ball. Looks like an above average defensive SS with a potentially elite-to-generational bat. Still probably 2 years out though.

edit - a guy named Mike Gaar went 3rd overall. Pete thinks he sees an absolute all-world power/speed combo and meh defense; he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire so far late last season or this season though.

algebra testes posted:

What simulation style? I presume it's the standard "don't bother me unless it's more than 2 weeks injury" and sim through to AS break in one go?

This, more or less. Most of what I do other than the trades/acquisitions you see is move guys to the IL and move around taxi squad guys.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 11, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You seeded some knuckleballers already, can we seed a few Screwball pitchers into the future?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Holdeman imho

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

You seeded some knuckleballers already, can we seed a few Screwball pitchers into the future?

There's actually quite a few! Including some good ones!

Looking it up, I came across this guy:

So, that's cool. Wonder how he got here? Minor league signing...?

I...hm. Drafted in the 3rd round of the KBO draft...cut a few months later. Moves to Fargo to play AA indie ball. Released there in spring training. Signs minor league deal with Rockies. Becomes megastar.

(seriously...those numbers in Coors...wtf)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies posted:

So, that's cool. Wonder how he got here? Minor league signing...?

I...hm. Drafted in the 3rd round of the KBO draft...cut a few months later. Moves to Fargo to play AA indie ball. Released there in spring training. Signs minor league deal with Rockies. Becomes megastar.

(seriously...those numbers in Coors...wtf)

The thing about journeys like this is it feels weird until you realize there's lots of actual baseball analogues for dudes who were AAAA at best until they suddenly put it all together one season and emerged as major pieces of successful organizations. (also plenty of "for sure" prospects that end up injured a couple of times and bomb out before they even get to AAA)

e: OOTP talent still feels "gamey" and I don't know how they really solve that, but its nice to have random journeyman suddenly put it together and end up real good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holdeman always take floor over ceiling.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Drafted out of an internet high school? :thunk:

Good to see Big Al and Randy Savage get a chance to make a run at glory. If we're allowed to throw names in the hat for future legends, I'd suggest Kirby Puckett if he hadn't been struck down by eye injuries.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I vote to bring in MVP 2005 legend Jon Dowd.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bewbies posted:

that's a lot of blue on the chart

I'll go with hodges though i don't love his lack of secondary stuff

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Make batless barry bonds from that jon bois video imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As for voting, Jawrocki seems like the kind of guy who always ends up as a reliever in my games so that's a hard pass from me.

I'd probably go Zwick or NARD

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holdeman. We need a Greinke/Moose kinda dude.

For a reliever, go with a cost-controlled youngster.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2029 Playoffs
94-68, .580. 5 GB, 2nd Place, AL West

League News

The Colorado Rockies, once both the worst team and worst farm system in baseball, rip off an absolutely epic season. The Reds aren't too far behind.

Salvador Perez, still doing it at age 39, gets to 2000 career hits amid one of the best seasons of his long and distinguished career (I hope this happens irl)

Manny Machado puts up a brilliant season at age 37, playing for peanuts out in Washington after his megadeal in San Diego expired.

Cody Bellinger hits dinger number 500 at age 33 - if he stays healthy, he'll have a real shot at the all time HR record.

Former 1st overall pick TJ McCants puts together the kind of campaign the Rockies always hoped he could.

Dan Quisenberry walks 17 guys over 219 innings, and very nearly wins more games than he gives up walks (I think Saberhagen and Kershaw have done this irl)

Team News

We snap up Milt Holdeman with the #3 pick. His litany of pitches will probably be ready for the bigs next season. He enters the list at #18 overall.

Our 2nd round pick is Dan Clark, a 5-tool center fielder with great intangibles but a long way to go before the big leagues.

Our third pick is Robert Morales, a 6'8" pitcher with a lot of mediocre pitches.

We bring in two young bullpen arms.

The first is Danny Bagley, a flamethrowing 2-pitch lefty wasting away on the Rays farm. He comes for two middling prospects.

Next is Josh "Dink" Dinkins. He takes quite a bit to snag: two middling bat prospects and Manny Giron, the #87 overall prospect.

Shortly after, the Twins come to us with their star closer Victor Mederos, who is a free agent at the end of the season. They only want a AAA farmhand for him. Alright.

Note: Mederos only wants a $4m AAV deal -- this might be worth looking into.

We charge into the second half with a REVAMPED BULLPEN.

Francisco Lindor comes to us with a very important question: he wants to start a charity and is asking for some backing from the club. A very drunk Larry Burns scrawls out a check for $3.9 million, then passes out behind his desk.

We're in a tight race for the wild card all summer long with the Tigers and Yankees.

Julio Gonzales makes it back in late August! Ahead of schedule, I think! We take it slow with him, and send him to the minors for a rehab assignment.

Finally some good news from the prospect front: Tommy Coressel gets a slight bump back in the right direction, while Corn Taylor gets a bump to just about everything. This pushes him up to 7th on the big list, and our farm system to #1 overall. Corn is looking like an all time OBP monster: he's currently sitting at a cool .511 OBP in high A, and should be ready for the show next season.

More good news: Milt Holdeman adds a few MPH of velo! It doesn't really change much as far as his ranking or projections, but that's way better than...losing velo at age 21, like other prospects I could name.

Josh Gibson flexes his muscles in the second half. Big Time. He's emerging as one of the best hitters in baseball, and growing into an elite defensive catcher to boot. His gamecalling and framing are still works in progress, but he threw out almost half the steal attempts they tried against him this year. A torrid September nets him a batting title and likely a long look at MVP.

Also it looks like Gibson played 22 innings as a SS this season? Uh, alright.

We await the Angels in the Wild Card Game. AL West dominance.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is tj mccants the opposite of james mccann?

extend maderos 4MM AAV is real cheap

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2029 AL Wild Card: Angels at A's

Game Highlights

WHAT A GODDAMN GAME. That had everything: comedic errors, a game-saving catch at the track, a walk-off home run that left the bat at 116 mph.....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2029 ALDS: Oakland A's vs Seattle Mariners

Game 4 Highlights

Well, we ran into a buzzsaw named Jack Leiter. That was surprisingly competitive...until it abruptly was not.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2029 Offseason

League News

Mariners are destroyed by the Orioles in the ALCS, while the Rockies -- after their incredible regular season -- fall to the Reds in the ALDS. The Series is an epic 7 games, with Adley Rutschman delivering the key hit in the 8th inning of game 7. Rutschman had 23 RBIs in the playoffs.

Brian Cashman is fired by the Yankees.

Awards etc to come a bit later -- we have decisions to make.

Team News

We get Victor Mederos extended: 4 years, $14m, with the last year a TO. Good deal for a good reliever.

We have some big decisions to make right off the bat this offseason.

First, Josh Lowe has a team option for $8.5 mil. He was everything we could've wanted last season -- 3.5 WAR. However, we have a couple of elite COF prospects who are probably ready for the bigs. We can either decline his option (the kind thing) or exercise it, that with the intent of trading him or letting him compete for a job in the spring.

Next, we need to consider trading Jesus Galiz. He was incredible last season, but his arb number is $8m, which is a lot for a backup catcher, especially in Oakland.

Our pitching staff is decimated. Nate Pearson declines his option year, and Reid Johnson heads with him to free agency. Is Nate Pearson worth extending an $18.9m qualifying offer to? If he accepts, he plays one year for us at that amount -- if he declines, we get a compensation pick.

As it stands now, our staff is:

1) Ryan Kirk. He was very solid last year, but will struggle to get 150 IP.
2) Edwar Colina. He was...alright.
3) Julio Gonzales. He came back from his big surgery and looked great. Maybe a slight dropoff from his almost-Cy Young season, but still excelllent.
4) Jeff Critz. Pete is still VERY high on this guy, but he wasn't great in relief work last year.
5) Tommy Coressel. He was actually solid over 71 IP out of the pen last year. He may yet be a decent starter.
6) Milt Holdeman. He might be a stretch to be ML-ready next year, but so far so good.

Everyone else is a AAAA-type.

In other words, probably need some reinforcements there.

The interesting thing is this is one of the best free agent classes in recent memory. There are two absolutely elite starting pitchers that should be available:

Both of these guys are clear aces, and within reach of our budget. They'll cost a TON though -- upwards of $30 mil AAV over 7-8 years, as a guideline.

Another potential free agent strategy: double down on hitters. Two of the best hitters on the planet are available:

Kalafut would slide in as our DH, Franco as our 3B. In either case, we'd then ship our incumbent (Reggie Crawford and Billy Beck, respectively) off for a starting pitcher of some sort. These guys will also cost an eye-watering amount of money, but we can afford...one. Neither fills a real need per se, but holy hell are those some good ballplayers.

As always, we can search out cheaper free agents or dumpster dive for forgotten talent, but if we want to jump on any of these elite free agents, we have to do it early.

VOTE

Josh Lowe:
1) Decline
2) Execute and trade
3) Execute and keep

Jesus Galiz:
1) Trade
2) Keep

Nate Pearson QO:
1) Extend
2) Decline

Free agents. Pursue:
1) Cobb
2) Madden
3) Franco
4) Kalafut

OR

5) Sign a lesser free agent SP
6) Dumpster dive for a couple of SP possibilities

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Josh Lowe:
2) Execute and trade

Jesus Galiz:
1) Trade or decline arb

Nate Pearson QO:
2) Decline

Free agents. Pursue:
Either of the pitchers but don't go insane breaking the bank, if that fails

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Josh Lowe:
2) Execute and trade

Jesus Galiz:
1) Trade or decline arb

Nate Pearson QO:
2) Decline

Free agents. Pursue:
Either of the pitchers but don't go insane breaking the bank, if that fails

Only thing I'm gonna disagree with on this is that we should keep Galiz if we can't find a good trade partner. Can't imagine that'll be the case, but we're not *that* desperate that we should throw away an excellent catcher.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Artix posted:

Only thing I'm gonna disagree with on this is that we should keep Galiz if we can't find a good trade partner. Can't imagine that'll be the case, but we're not *that* desperate that we should throw away an excellent catcher.

this is not a team that can afford to pay 8 million bucks for a backup catcher. we have a 990 OPS cost controlled superstar catcher, what we need is an alive guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Execute and trade
Trade
Decline QO

As for the free agent situation, Cobb would be my choice for a pitcher and JKal for a hitter, but I'm not sure which I'd go for, or even if I want to spend that cash. If I'm thinking divisionally, I'd go for Kal due to a possible counter to Leiter, who we're gonna run up against at some point no matter what. But we're sorely lacking in pitching. So I'm gonna abstain from that vote, but leave my logic here in the event it helps.