Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I seem to remember we still had issues when the anime thread was called something like "MHA :Anime thread, Season 3" and the manga thread was "My Hero Academia Manga thread : NOT THE ANIME THREAD" so I think it's more on people being morons than the thread titles.

Yeah both threads have the corresponding Anime or Manga title in the thread. Beyond that it's really user error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Stop committing the cool crime of robbery SA.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also there's only like a year and change left of this manga

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would download a car, gently caress yall narcs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think that we should have two individual threads for every single week's chapter, one for the speedscan and one for the official scan, to be locked specifically three hours and five minutes after the release of the official translation.

(seriously the existing setup works fine and if people are worried about "well there's no conversation after the official release", i don't know why, because there's always conversation after the official release. also no one is stopping people from posting about vigilantes)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nonexistence posted:

Also there's only like a year and change left of this manga

I don't think that's the case. While we might be in the final arc, modern long running shonen series have been notorious for having long, overly drawn out final arcs. The War arc in Naruto went from ch 516-700, taking over 4 years. Similarly the 1000 year blood war arc of Bleach was the final arc, and went from ch 480-686, taking 4 1/2 years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah but what if that car had a frosted windscreen, an erroneous speedometer and a transmission that occasionally double shifted for no reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Julias posted:

I don't think that's the case. While we might be in the final arc, modern long running shonen series have been notorious for having long, overly drawn out final arcs. The War arc in Naruto went from ch 516-700, taking over 4 years. Similarly the 1000 year blood war arc of Bleach was the final arc, and went from ch 480-686, taking 4 1/2 years.

Yeah, i think even if you generously assume we are going RIGHT into the final battle right now (which seems unlikely) there is no way you're going to see it ending in 50 chapters. The entire Hero vs Villain war was something like 30 chapters from start to finish and it feels unlikely the final arc will be just that long.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Both of those series ran longer though and had already been going 10 years by the time they hit their final arc. MHA should be hitting 7 years at some point in 2021 so even if we assume that the final arc will take up a similar percentage of the story that should still be much quicker.

Plus the pacing of MHA has always felt very different from those other two so I don't know if that's a reliable measure. It's equally possible that the final "chapter" runs even longer depending on what exactly chapter should be taken to mean here. Is each arc a chapter? Or is say everything from the start to All Might losing his power considered a chapter? Are we in the final arc or just in the final third of the story?

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 10, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Both of those series ran longer though and had already been going 10 years by the time they hit their final arc. MHA should be hitting 7 years at some point in 2021 so even if we assume that the final arc will take up a similar percentage of the story that should still be much quicker.

Plus the pacing of MHA has always felt very different from those other two so I don't know if that's a reliable measure. It's equally possible that the final "chapter" runs even longer depending on what exactly chapter should be taken to mean here. Is each arc a chapter? Or is say everything from the start to All Might losing his power considered a chapter? Are we in the final arc or just in the final third of the story?

Final third is what how I've been interpreting "final act".

And I think as the series has progressed the pacing has gotten more and more like a "normal" shonen. Like in the most recent episodes of the anime, the amount of flashbacks to things that have just happened is right up there with what Naruto did.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If nothing else, spoilers for Vigilantes and the main series should be marked as such because, while I haven't been following Vigilantes recently, I can imagine that it's really frustrating to have both be spoilered at once without unspoilered distinctions between them, and you've only caught up on one but not the other this week, or are waiting for the official translation for the main series, etc. And I think at least one or two people have mentioned the issue with spoiler conversations happening for both simultaneously. I probably would be frustrated with it myself if I did follow Vigilantes, since on multiple occasions I've read spoilers for it when trying to follow main series discussion here and both were going on at once under undifferentiated black bars for a page or two.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
To give a comparison to Naruto and Bleach, at this point in their runs, Chapter 311, Hidan and Kakuzu were about to make their first appearance next week and this week Kenpachi remembered that holding a sword with two hands made his attacks stronger. So yeah, compared to some of the beasts a lot of us used to read going into the final arc now does seem pretty early in terms of how much story is left.

MHA's pacing has always been different but I do think that it seems a little rushed still, to me, in a way that stuff like Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen, to pick some modern stuff with a faster pace, don't. But this current status quo is early days so I'm still waiting to form a real opinion on it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

To give a comparison to Naruto and Bleach, at this point in their runs, Chapter 311, Hidan and Kakuzu were about to make their first appearance next week and this week Kenpachi remembered that holding a sword with two hands made his attacks stronger. So yeah, compared to some of the beasts a lot of us used to read going into the final arc now does seem pretty early in terms of how much story is left.

Hahaha man I remember that thing with Kenpachi, that was around the time when I think the reader base realised the trainwreck Bleach was going to turn into. I also kinda fondly remember Hidan and Kakuzu, they were the last fight in the series that didn't have super massive explosions and was somewhat about strategy ( not much beyond capture them with Shikamaru's shadow and use fakeouts to achieve it, but still better than what came later in the series...)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Julias posted:

MHA seems to be on boss-rush territory given we had a "Okay here's all of the players" revealed in the notable Tatarus prisoners: Overhaul, Mystery Sniper, Muscular, Moonfish, Stain/Shigaraki and the remaining league members/Toga presumably on her own still/The remaining PLA lieutenants+200 adherents. And in the course of like a bit over a month we've checked off Muscular, and now the Mystery Sniper+Overhaul. I was thinking this could be a really long arc but we're just powering through poo poo- the last OFA holders are onboard now so we'll see what they do I imagine.

Once Deku has all his Mega Man boss powers, there's not much to do besides wrap it up and we're getting to it. I'd have liked a much longer arc actually, or more smaller arcs to help give some love to the rest of the cast- but I'm guessing Hori is probably dying given that this went on longer than even his most generous estimates. I imagine there'll be some great stuff, but I think we're just gonna speedrun here. Gonna do our trip down memory lane with the past badguys, All Might might actually meet Stain finally, maybe wrap up Toga too before the big final battle, probably have the big "You can't do this on your own" thing where Ochako and 1-A come to fight with Deku and end his sad martyr poo poo, then we get to the fireworks factory and the members of the "popularity poll winner club" get their last big hurrah. Some main characters do/or don't die, Shigaraki gets "saved", AFO is defeated, Deku is the greatest hero, it's "our" hero academia, etc

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 11, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Asuron posted:

Just keep it in one thread.

It’s only an issue for a minority of posters here, each week we see a large of amount of people come into the thread to discuss the speedscan and then we get clarification when the official version comes out.

It’s been a working system for a long time that quite a few people seem to enjoy and dividing threads is just going to lower the amount of discussion overall or cause confusion. That seems like a poor outcome to me and we also really don’t need another thread for MHA when it already has two

Alternatively: maybe it's only a minority of posters because a chunk of people are discouraged from posting or even lurking the thread any time except the brief period after the official release but before the new speedscan release, and even in that grace period it's rare that there's anything to talk about because everyone's already had the discussions and "Wow, the speedscans suck" tends to be the most common conversation, which you still can't really join in unless you also read the speedscans.

Like, you say it works, and that only a minority of posters have issues. But that's kind of not true, really? Given how often this causes issues, at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shinjobi posted:

Mulderman posted:

Stop committing the cool crime of robbery SA.
You're not an anti-capitalist superhero because you're reading free comic books two days early.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

You're not an anti-capitalist superhero because you're reading free comic books two days early.

Stain would revoke Deku's true hero pass if he caught him breaking street date.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nuebot posted:

Alternatively: maybe it's only a minority of posters because a chunk of people are discouraged from posting or even lurking the thread any time except the brief period after the official release but before the new speedscan release, and even in that grace period it's rare that there's anything to talk about because everyone's already had the discussions and "Wow, the speedscans suck" tends to be the most common conversation, which you still can't really join in unless you also read the speedscans.

Like, you say it works, and that only a minority of posters have issues. But that's kind of not true, really? Given how often this causes issues, at least.

Yeah, this is pretty much my take as well. People can say, “well nothing is stopping you from interacting whenever wherever however, we all have a radical freedom, man,” but that completely ignores how (what seems like) a decent bunch of us feel Kramering into 15 posts of black barred speedscan chat to talk about something else entirely.
It’s made me stop reading the thread, mostly.

And now I’m sad Caleb Cook’s trivia is gone :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

And you're not being bothered by not reading the thread for 2 more days when the speed scans drop.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And you're not being bothered by not reading the thread for 2 more days when the speed scans drop.

That is also not the only problem presented in this conversation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That is also not the only problem presented in this conversation.

Maybe not but in general trying to couch the desire for a change in thread rules behind a bunch of embarrassing bullshit about how speedscans are a CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME is, well, lmao

girl dick energy posted:

lmao

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm the anticapitalist superhero in the op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

actually i am

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Same but I’m a villain

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The "brief grace period" between the official release and the new speedscans is 5 days out of 7. Maybe 4 if you're really unlucky with timezones.

Also the argument that the discussion dies between sunday and friday is confusing to me because... This thread gets a dozen plus posts a day so it is plain to see that it is active through the whole week. Maybe the discussion during the weekdays is not the kind of discussion sunday readers would like, which is a different argument, but no one is policing them from talking about the parts they'd like to discuss. They're effectively policing themselves out of the discussions they want to be having.

I understand the grievances of people who don't want to support the scanlations and are unhappy when the thread does it. I already said I'd rather try prohibiting spoiler chat than see this discussion continue to happen over and over. But, frankly, the hostile tone of some posters with what reads like genuine outrage at people who read and discuss the comic before sunday creates a worse environment in the thread than the actual misinformation by speedscans.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just ban speedscan chat.

Seriously, it makes the thread actively worse for everyone except the speedscan readers. It doesn't "work" unless you're a speedscan reader. Speedscan readers can say "just don't open the black bars lmao" but no amount of ignoring black bars fixes the fact it's poisoning the environment for everyone else.
Vigilantes chat gets drowned out, we get a bunch of pages of pointless speedscan vs official comparisons, any conversation of worth is already exhausted and if you actually care for what you're reading you're gonna have to digest the same thing twice.

These disingenuous arguments from speedscan readers are infuriating. Of course people are aggressive now, y'all been slinging the same bullshit arguments for months.

GimmickMan posted:

The "brief grace period" between the official release and the new speedscans is 5 days out of 7. Maybe 4 if you're really unlucky with timezones.

Also the argument that the discussion dies between sunday and friday is confusing to me because... This thread gets a dozen plus posts a day so it is plain to see that it is active through the whole week. Maybe the discussion during the weekdays is not the kind of discussion sunday readers would like, which is a different argument, but no one is policing them from talking about the parts they'd like to discuss. They're effectively policing themselves out of the discussions they want to be having.

I understand the grievances of people who don't want to support the scanlations and are unhappy when the thread does it. I already said I'd rather try prohibiting spoiler chat than see this discussion continue to happen over and over. But, frankly, the hostile tone of some posters with what reads like genuine outrage at people who read and discuss the comic before sunday creates a worse environment in the thread than the actual misinformation by speedscans.

There's barely an iota of worthwhile conversation past monday. It's all used up on friday and saturday. You say "there's no one policing from talking about the parts they'd like to discuss" and gee I wonder if maybe that's because there isn't actually stuff left to discuss. All we get is more of this.

Meanwhile Vigilantes gets barely a page and then it's all drowned in black bars.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Maybe not but in general trying to couch the desire for a change in thread rules behind a bunch of embarrassing bullshit about how speedscans are a CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME is, well, lmao

It's really funny because if the official translations didn't exist, most of the people who don't read speedscans would likely be reading scanlations anyway.

Kyte posted:

Just ban speedscan chat.

Seriously, it makes the thread actively worse for everyone except the speedscan readers. It doesn't "work" unless you're a speedscan reader. Speedscan readers can say "just don't open the black bars lmao" but no amount of ignoring black bars fixes the fact it's poisoning the environment for everyone else.
Vigilantes chat gets drowned out, we get a bunch of pages of pointless speedscan vs official comparisons, any conversation of worth is already exhausted and if you actually care for what you're reading you're gonna have to digest the same thing twice.

lmao, the only "poisoning the environment" that happens is when someone starts a ten page long derail whining about speedscans because someone offhandedly commented "wow the speedscans are rough this week", like literally what caused this derail in the first place.

Vigilantes chat doesn't get "drowned out", there were like two pages of discussion about this week's chapter. If you want to post about what happened in Vigilantes or the official release, just post about it and if it's an interesting conversation thread people will reply to it. You don't need to clutch pearls about if the nefarious speedscan readers might have brought up that point before in spoiler blocks or something, literally who cares? There's not a limited number of discussion posts that can be made that the speedscan readers are depleting before the upstanding citizens get their chance, like some sort of posting Tragedy of the Commons.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
People are being aggressive because they want to be aggressive, that’s all. I’d respect people in both sides of the argument more if they just owned it. It’s not righteous indignation or anything like that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's really funny because if the official translations didn't exist, most of the people who don't read speedscans would likely be reading scanlations anyway.

And if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets.

Very few people complain about reading scans for untranslated manga, because there's no alternative beyond learning Japanese and haunting your local import store.

Here, though, the alternative is to wait maybe 96 hours (more often 48) for a much higher quality product provided completely legally at the same price ($0) in a way that supports the creators.

I've got no real issue with speedscans in and of themselves (beyond their general low quality for this series), but they do turn the thread into a CIA document for half the week, and make for much less conversation when the official release drops. And it's even worse, because you get people posting off summaries and one-off leaked panels for a couple days before that, which can't have any interesting conversation (no context) but they still ruin the discussion for the rest of the thread because now the big reveal that Mineta is All for One's father is discussed to death behind bars before anyone who waits for the official release has had a chance to see it.

So, yeah. Speedscans suck, and they make the thread worse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I truly, seriously, absolutely, completely, utterly, and totally do not understand the incredibly weird concern that all conversation is somehow mined out if people post about speedscans, because if there's actually a significant population in the thread who do not read the speedscans there should be plenty of them willing to discuss things when the real scans come out - and it's almost guaranteed that a fair number of people who did read/discuss the speedscans will post again about it if people want to discuss it.

Person reading speedscan: "ah, it sure was wild how deku ripped shigaraki's arms off and beat dabi to death with them this week"
Person also reading speedscan: "yeah that was wild!"

*two days later*

Person reading official scan: "wow, it sure was-"
Person reading speedscan: "halt, citizen, that topic was already discussed. you're in violation of the posting prime directive"

Many of the proposed alternatives for this crippling, devastating problem, like splitting off threads, would accomplish the goal of killing discussion posting far more effectively than people discussing speedscans.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Dam, lotta people are weirdly invested in this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it's much more like

Kanos posted:

*two days later*

Person reading official scan: "wow, it sure was wild!"
Person who read speedscan: "yeah, we know" *doesn't post*

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Vigilantes chat doesn't get "drowned out", there were like two pages of discussion about this week's chapter.

There was about 9 posts about Vigilantes with speedscan spoilers in between most of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's much more like

This suggests that most of the thread reads and discusses speedscans and it's only an apparently mostly non-posting minority that don't, though?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Except, just based on observation, the discussion continues.

It’s like what Kano’s said, if it was truly a minority reading speedscans with the majority reading the official release, how are you losing out if the minority isn’t participating in that discussion?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The “regular” discussion is usually either “Bakugo/Mineta should die” or “Mirko/new female character makes me very horny” so I say keep speedscan chat cuz we’re not missing much

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Which leads us back to the other point being repeatedly brought up:

1. The speedscans are factually wrongly translated
  2. The speedscans are poorly scanned with blurry, incomprehensible art

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

people: "this thing you are doing annoys me, could you please stop"
other people: "you are wrong for being annoyed, and i will not stop"

do you get why this discussion gets increasingly aggressive every time it comes back up?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

This suggests that most of the thread reads and discusses speedscans and it's only an apparently mostly non-posting minority that don't, though?

I can't speak for others, but I only read the speedscans because they get posted here and I don't feel like avoiding this thread for 2 days(especially if it's a week with a new Vigilantes) and missing all the discussion. If they didn't get posted here, I wouldn't read them at all and just wait for the official release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Astro Ambulance posted:

people: "this thing you are doing annoys me, could you please stop"
other people: "you are wrong for being annoyed, and i will not stop"

do you get why this discussion gets increasingly aggressive every time it comes back up?

I mean whatever excuses people want to make the aggression is turning me off this thread far more than either outcome of the speedscan war and I’d be surprised if I was alone in feeling that way