Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The biggest gain from upgrading from a 20D to just about anything will be having a rear screen larger than a postage stamp...

MPB has the most heavily used original 5D squeezing in under $200. Disclaimer - it won't be compatible with any EF-S lenses the OP has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe look at a used 70D? this is a little over your price range but I think it would be a big enough jump to make it worth the upgrade.

That seems like a pretty good deal. Not even at half of its rated shutter life.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I was walking through the woods taking photos and picking mushrooms earlier. I managed to accidentally put my lens caps in the same pocket as the mushies.
One is your standard plastic lens cap and the other has felt on the inside.

Should I be worried about spores? If so what’s the best way to disinfect them?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone with a Peak Design 6l V2 messenger bag know if it would comfortably fit a Fuji X100 and a Fuji GW690III (aka Texas Leica)? I want something that can carry both that isn't a backpack, I just want one main compartment to open. Other suggestions welcome as well, I know there are tons of well-respected shoulder photo bags out there, it's a little overwhelming!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve been looking at buying a SEL20TC teleconverter to go between my A7iii and 200GM. Is there a cheaper option to accomplish the same at all? On one hand it’s quite cheap to effectively make a 400mm lens, but on the other hand it’s £500 for a tiny little simple thing and it’s annoying me :)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve been looking at buying a SEL20TC teleconverter to go between my A7iii and 200GM. Is there a cheaper option to accomplish the same at all? On one hand it’s quite cheap to effectively make a 400mm lens, but on the other hand it’s £500 for a tiny little simple thing and it’s annoying me :)

Teleconverters are not that simple, there is optics in there and like lenses good quality ones are worth it over bad ones. 2x will cost you 2 stops of light.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s fine. I want to use it on a safari and this body seems nuts for high iso/low light so should be fine I think :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Have you considered adapting an older manual lens? Might be worth a look of you're OK with that workflow

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Megabound posted:

Have you considered adapting an older manual lens? Might be worth a look of you're OK with that workflow

You are going to want AF and IS on Safari

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe rent one for the trip?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to use my Canon 7D for livestreaming but it really seems like it's an uphill battle and that it super wasn't designed for it.

But recently had the idea that maybe it's possible to find another crop sensor Canon that isn't gonna cost the earth and can use it for livestreaming and or video.

I hear the 80D is worthwhile?

What about the new Rebels?

For ages I had thought about moving to Sony but now I am like gently caress that let's stay with the lenses I have and find an older Canon that'll do the trick.

But I am having trouble finding decent info on using them for streaming etc.

Anyone got any advice or tips or a better palce to ask this question?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Have you tried the EOS webcam utility they released last year? Or are you capturing the hdmi out?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe rent one for the trip?

It’s about £200 to rent one for 3 weeks annoyingly. So it’s honestly cheaper for me to buy a grey import and use it and then sell it for probably a small profit. Renting stuff is so nuts here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

Have you tried the EOS webcam utility they released last year? Or are you capturing the hdmi out?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

hmm I’m not sure this was out last time I looked. the 7D is old tho.. 2009

I mean it’s a fine camera for what it does and the video quality is good it you use a tripod, but the live autofocus is tragic.:

I mean if that would work yeah then I am most sorted outside of maybe some cables and some way to deliver power.

BUT THANKS... anyway. that's awesome. lemme dive in.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

hmm I’m not sure this was out last time I looked. the 7D is old tho.. 2009

I mean it’s a fine camera for what it does and the video quality is good it you use a tripod, but the live autofocus is tragic.:

I mean if that would work yeah then I am most sorted outside of maybe some cables and some way to deliver power.

BUT THANKS... anyway. that's awesome. lemme dive in.

According to the website IT IS COMPATIBLE>>>>!!!!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you want to go the 'capturing hdmi' route, just find which models support 'clean hdmi out'. For autofocus, I'd find a model that has their dual-pixel autofocus sensor.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Mirrorless is where it's at for streaming.

Most Canon DSLRs are not going to get you clean HDMI and AF, my 80D will only do clean HDMI if the AF is disabled, otherwise the focus box shows.
The Canon webcam app is res limited.

There's a reason the M200 is mega popular.

However there are always little issues for specific use cases which you need to consider.

For example the M200 does clean HDMI with AF and sends it's mics audio over HDMI which is pretty good, however it doesn't have a mic socket, which means if you use an external mic plugged into your PC then there are slight sync issues due to the video encoding time, you can add a little delay to the mic in OBS I believe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That said, the canon webcam tool on an 80d looks really drat good for zoom meetings. No one will be able to spot focus errors and it will be a dramatically better image than everyone's laptop cameras.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking about for streaming.

When I get home tonight I'll give it a spin and see how the results are.

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you want to go the 'capturing hdmi' route, just find which models support 'clean hdmi out'. For autofocus, I'd find a model that has their dual-pixel autofocus sensor.

I think the 80D has this.

But will I ever be stoked if I can do this with the camera body I have. spending money sucks

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

echinopsis posted:

I'm thinking about for streaming.

When I get home tonight I'll give it a spin and see how the results are.

I think the 80D has this.

But will I ever be stoked if I can do this with the camera body I have. spending money sucks

The 80D does not do both clean HDMI and AF I have the camera and a HDMI dongle.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello camera gear thread!

I've been scouring Facebook and Gumtree :australia: for a Canon 600D and 18-55mm EF-S lens for filming YouTube videos, since I'm gonna be making videos at least once a week so I probably should invest in something other than a Logitech C920 webcam dangling precariously from a clothes drying rack :v:

Found one for $350 AUD including
- camera body
- lens
- Lowe carry case
- charger
- cords
- manual

with apparently a 496 shutter count. There were no visible scuffs or other marks on the pics posted. This is a good deal, right?

All the other second hand ones are priced in the $300-600 range and the price variations are a mishmash of them coming with another lens (50mm prime or 55-250mm) or in various conditions. I couldn't even get any of the other sellers to figure out their shutter counts, either cos they didn't know what it was and couldn't be bothered, or they tried but couldn't figure it out.

I'm kind of tempted to push for $300 but I hate to be that person lowballing if it's a fair price and the seller has put effort into figuring out the shutter count, I'm just going :stonk: at how much even halfway decent beginner gear costs (I still need to get a tripod cos resting a DSLR on a clothes drying rack is probably a Bad Idea and a mic that would plug in, because even though I have nice Rode studio mics already, it's going through a FocusRite interface and there's just the slightest bit of lag...)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
afaik 600D does not have DPAF so video AF will likely be poor, you might be better looking at a low end mirrorless Panasonic or Sony for video if AF matters to you.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Leng posted:

18-55mm EF-S lens for filming YouTube videos, since I'm gonna be making videos at least once a week so I probably should invest in something other than a Logitech C920 webcam dangling precariously from a clothes drying rack :v:

Have you played around with one?

Reason I ask, is that my experience is that that lens is very average. It's hard to imagine you're going to be particularly happy with the results.

At the very least, get the canon 50mm f/1.8 it is not expensive and I guarantee you whatever you shoot you'll be a million times happier with.

It's easy to think that DSLRs make good photos but that's a lie. good lenses make good photos, the bodies are just a necessary evil

Also the Canon EOS webcam software worked so much better than I could have hoped. I've recorded a couple things in OBS now and I am 100% content with what it's giving me.

Now I just need to find a decent power adapter thing.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

echinopsis posted:

Reason I ask, is that my experience is that that lens is very average. It's hard to imagine you're going to be particularly happy with the results.

Hot take: especially with video, I don't think you're going to notice or mind much. I shot the previous gen, a steaming pile of turds for image quality, and it still made some of my favorite images (on a Digital Rebel XT, mind you!).

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A 50mm prime is a short telephoto on a crop body, a little tight as a general purpose lens. The kit lens is ~28mm equivalent at the wide end, which is more suitable for shooting videos inside. HD video is only 2 megapixel, quality is more dependent on the internal processing, which is probably not great on the 600d.

Ebay has 200d selling for 350-550aud, I think there are probably better value deals out there, and maybe spending a little more will make a big difference.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

jarlywarly posted:

afaik 600D does not have DPAF so video AF will likely be poor, you might be better looking at a low end mirrorless Panasonic or Sony for video if AF matters to you.

I'll mostly be shooting talking heads, so will basically be setting up and framing the shot, and then sitting there to record a bunch, so hopefully it'll be ok!

I'm undecided on whether I should do any vlog style videos at the moment, and if I do need to do anything moving, will most likely shoot that on my phone (which is also not the greatest, but if it's vlog style or for an IG/Facebook story then I don't think anyone watching will care too much).

echinopsis posted:

dakana posted:

Hot take: especially with video, I don't think you're going to notice or mind much. I shot the previous gen, a steaming pile of turds for image quality, and it still made some of my favorite images (on a Digital Rebel XT, mind you!).

Not a photography person at all! I took one high school elective on photography waaay back and we were given DSLRs to play with for that (I think it might have been a Nikon Coolpix?). I will do occasional photography with it, but mostly just product shots.

Fools Infinite posted:

A 50mm prime is a short telephoto on a crop body, a little tight as a general purpose lens. The kit lens is ~28mm equivalent at the wide end, which is more suitable for shooting videos inside. HD video is only 2 megapixel, quality is more dependent on the internal processing, which is probably not great on the 600d.

Ebay has 200d selling for 350-550aud, I think there are probably better value deals out there, and maybe spending a little more will make a big difference.

Thanks, this is a great breakdown. Another Canon 600D bundle (this one has both the 18-55mm lens AND the 55-250mm lens) has just popped up for $300 AUD on Facebook and is in immaculate condition (and they've posted that they're willing to negotiate on price :psyduck: they either want it gone ASAP or have no idea of value of what they're selling). Gonna see if I can grab that instead (I offered $275 given the ad :v: no idea if they'll bite), though I feel somewhat bad about potentially cancelling on the other guy, though if I don't hear back, maybe he'll price match.

In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for a Canon 200D locally (the eBay ones are all located in Melbourne, why :( I don't like buying used gear sight unseen) and if I see a good deal on that I'll probably jump on it and flip the 600D. (or maybe hang on to it and then be able to shoot with TWO cameras no definitely I am not going to do this I am so bad with gear creep)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fools Infinite posted:

only time will tell if it mattes, but the focal range on that lens at that end is so wide, it's a challenge to separate the subject from the background unless you go in close for a more extreme effect.

ideally a wide and fast lens would be good but those are expensive.

I don't think the camera is going to make as much difference as the lens

Leng posted:

I'll mostly be shooting talking heads, so will basically be setting up and framing the shot, and then sitting there to record a bunch,

even if you only rent the 50mm f/1.8 im talking about, for this task in particular, it'll make your production values look a million times better

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

echinopsis posted:

only time will tell if it mattes, but the focal range on that lens at that end is so wide, it's a challenge to separate the subject from the background unless you go in close for a more extreme effect.

The subject will be moving

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
50mm on crop is very narrow for video, the camera would need to be mounted a decent distance away.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

brand engager posted:

The subject will be moving

oh

I probably chose to gloss over that part because I wanted to post about the 50mmf/1.8

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Man, I still miss my 7D sometimes. Yeah, it’s an older model but hot drat is it well built.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 27mm aps-c pancake lens came in. I've been toying around with it for about a week now. I think it's about 45mm on 35mm equivalent. Using a mirrorless camera for a family camcorder was really expensive, but hot drat, does f/2.8 @ 4k in the evenings make for amazing looking family home video inside the house

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

Man, I still miss my 7D sometimes. Yeah, it’s an older model but hot drat is it well built.

Hope you got a nice camera to take pics of the kids with. From that angle a decent lens camera has been the best thing I've done for memories of my family.

Yeah I super like it.

Although this is more user error than anything, but I've ruined a lot of photos due to be ever so slightly out of focus. I often use the 50mm f/1.8 wide open and the autofocus on the 7d is good not great.

I don't have the confidence to ask people to stay still so I guess this is my punishment.

Also I am recently thinking to wonder that if I leave the iso on auto and open it wide on aperture priority which is mostly always what I do, it selects too slow of shutter speed (rather than faster with higher iso it chooses slower with lower iso), which I think is partly to blame for my slightly blurry shots, especially when people move.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

My 27mm aps-c pancake lens came in. I've been toying around with it for about a week now. I think it's about 45mm on 35mm equivalent. Using a mirrorless camera for a family camcorder was really expensive, but hot drat, does f/2.8 @ 4k in the evenings make for amazing looking family home video inside the house

It's worth it mate. Perhaps most people just don't value decent footage enough.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

echinopsis posted:

Also I am recently thinking to wonder that if I leave the iso on auto and open it wide on aperture priority which is mostly always what I do, it selects too slow of shutter speed (rather than faster with higher iso it chooses slower with lower iso), which I think is partly to blame for my slightly blurry shots, especially when people move.

Yeah, when I'm shooting the kids, I always rock shutter priority.

If you like to keep the aperture open all the way, that'll happen automatically when you set it to a fast shutter speed, because your camera will be starved for light. Different cameras use different logic for their auto modes, but in my experience, raising the ISO is generally the last resort, so they tend to slow the shutter speed and open the aperture first. Some actually let you fine tune that logic, which is nice.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 14, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Figuring out if that's the issue should be easy looking at how the images are blurring/their shutter speed.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 14, 2021

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Having an auto iso implementation that lets you select a minimum shutter speed is really nice. Others use 1/focal length or try and detect motion blur, but never seem to work as well.

My dream feature would be an actually programmable program mode.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

With modern cameras not having a physical shutter wouldn’t it be possible to make software that grabs multiple exposures at the same time? Like imagine if you had a great pic but missed focus but there was a darker one that was perfect or something. You could comp em even. Idk I think that would be cool.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Bape Culture posted:

With modern cameras not having a physical shutter wouldn’t it be possible to make software that grabs multiple exposures at the same time? Like imagine if you had a great pic but missed focus but there was a darker one that was perfect or something. You could comp em even. Idk I think that would be cool.

Yeah, that’s called exposure bracketing, and it’s a common feature going back a while. The camera will even automatically composite them for you (but still give you the originals).

That’s also what the HDR mode is on iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

Hope you got a nice camera to take pics of the kids with. From that angle a decent lens camera has been the best thing I've done for memories of my family.

Yeah I super like it.

Although this is more user error than anything, but I've ruined a lot of photos due to be ever so slightly out of focus. I often use the 50mm f/1.8 wide open and the autofocus on the 7d is good not great.

I don't have the confidence to ask people to stay still so I guess this is my punishment.

Yeah, man. When the second little one was on the way I decided to move away from birding (I was lazy about it anyway) and wanted something more geared towards family pictures. Sold my 7D and Sigma 150-600 and got a Sony a7ii. I really wanted IBIS and the ability to adapt lenses from other systems.