Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh yeah the map is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Control should be a series of entirely linear segments like Max Payne so I can actually loving play it and see all the cool poo poo without getting lost in corridors because I'm a dumbass.

Edit: Just realised this could be considered sarcastic, please rest assured I mean this 100%.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I barely used the map at all in Control and practiced the ancient skill of "remembering what things look like."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Realising you’d gone the wrong way and having to sit through another five mins of load screens :guillotine:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I definitely felt that the badness of Control's map was at least partly intentional and designed to push you into reading guide signs – which were plentiful – and trying to get familiar with the general locations of everything instead of relying on the map much at all.

It was confusing at times but never got frustrating for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zat posted:

I definitely felt that the badness of Control's map was at least partly intentional and designed to push you into reading guide signs – which were plentiful – and trying to get familiar with the general locations of everything instead of relying on the map much at all.

It was confusing at times but never got frustrating for me.

I only got lost a few times, but when I did I was really loving lost and frustrated. Narratively it works though, because this place is supposed to be imposing and mysterious, and if it they made it easy to navigate it would definitely take away some of that feeling.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

PuntCuncher posted:

I get lost constantly. Like, literally constantly. It’s taken me about 8 hours to get to a “2 hour” point in the game, and it’s not because I’ve been enjoying exploring every nook and cranny.

The map isn't great but I'm really confused about how you can spend 6 out of the first 8 hours of gameplay being lost and making no progress. It's not that expansive of a space.

Does this happen to you in other games?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shout out to Microsoft CS for responding to my Games Pass issue from the card I got back in December (just had never dealt with it then, they refunded me the cost to get a new card AND gave me an extra 12,000 points, meaning I have two pre-paid months, I figure with any luck, now knowing this works for monthly subs of ultimate game pass vs being a trial, I might just be able to get it free every month or so.

Really really love how Microsoft Rewards works and Games Pass…and that it’s like 95% BC for every title via software emulation. Just been very happy getting the Series X and it’s not just new buyers happiness. I really can’t wait to give Xcloud more of a try.

Honestly I have no clue why Sony doesn’t find some way to knock if the Rewards program, I know they don’t have a search engine, but there must be something.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly I have no clue why Sony doesn’t find some way to knock if the Rewards program, I know they don’t have a search engine, but there must be something.

They have a rewards program called Sony Rewards but it's not very good and seems designed to get you to sign up for their credit card.

I have almost enough to get a $20 PSN code from them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm the weirdo who liked wandering around exploring and reading documents in Control and just wanted to keep doing that and got annoyed that there was so much combat getting in the way of my exploration of the Oldest House.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerot posted:

They have a rewards program called Sony Rewards but it's not very good and seems designed to get you to sign up for their credit card.

Yeah. At least while there are rewards tied to point purchases, they’re pretty good, and it’s nothing like needing to do a credit card app or use said card.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm the weirdo who liked wandering around exploring and reading documents in Control and just wanted to keep doing that and got annoyed that there was so much combat getting in the way of my exploration of the Oldest House.

Haha that’s me in every game, I blame OG Deus Ex for doing that to me.

Also heads up to Microsoft adding in that suspend my game option when installing new stuff. No more needs to restart or try and close out programs to get the download speeds back up.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Doctor Nutt posted:

Same. A version of Control with all the same lore and atmosphere but focused entirely on exploration would be extraordinary and I'd play it into the ground.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I would love for there to be Control DLC or sequel/spinoff which is basically you as an agent going into the world to locate and secure other objects of power.

Basically Warehouse 13 the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tsietisin posted:

I would love for there to be Control DLC or sequel/spinoff which is basically you as an agent going into the world to locate and secure other objects of power.

Basically Warehouse 13 the game.

I think the biggest desire I had after playing control was essentially an x-files with the serial numbers filed off investigation game set in the control universe.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Laserface posted:

I havent played RE since RE2.

am I missing anything pivotal to gaming? wasnt particularly a big fan of 1 or 2 but there must be something to a game with 8+ titles in the series.

Resident Evil is very often at the forefront of horror games and regularly changes how the game plays, and leads to changes in how AAA horror games were made (I say were because now Horror games are mostly indies). 1+2 were groundbreaking and hugely influential, 3 and Code Veronica were less good but clear attempts at adding to the RE formula, 4 was a phenomenal action horror game that 5+6 attempted to recapture with better controls but kinda failed, 7 was a completel revitalization of big budget horror and 8 has toned down the horror and increased the gameplay because consumer feedback was that 7 was too scary to finish.

Seriously, though, if you like horror games play 7. If you like that, get 8.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m playing 7 now and the horror aspect is really really good. It legit feels like you’re in a horror movie. Unfortunately the controls and combat aren’t great. I heard it gets better though.

The whole basement section is terrible. Having to land 5+ headshots on one or however many mold monsters you fight back to back, when you have limited ammo, means missing any headshots is a game over. Then you have the whole chainsaw fight which is soooo bad. Almost made me quit.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 11, 2021

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah the boiler room is the only part where I've had to retry more than, like, twice... I think I must have died a dozen times there, ugh. Was satisfying once I managed to pull it off though.

Late game spoilers What the gently caress is this whole tanker segment. Gotta say tho I appreciate them not blowing their load and putting a giant Umbrella logo on the hull

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zerot posted:

Remember how the PS1 played CDs, the PS2 DVDs, and the PS3 Blu Rays? And all of them were formats owned by Sony, who also made movies?

I honestly forgot about that until the other day when my wife was like “wait Sony owns this movie studio?”

It’s actually kind of surprising that the consoles now just go “ok we play games the best” after decades of that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Remember how the PS1 played CDs, the PS2 DVDs, and the PS3 Blu Rays? And all of them were formats owned by Sony, who also made movies?

I honestly forgot about that until the other day when my wife was like “wait Sony owns this movie studio?”

It’s actually kind of surprising that the consoles now just go “ok we play games the best” after decades of that

Well physical media is dead and the PS4's new media feature, Vue, is too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Focusing on playing games well seems like a good idea for a games console tbh

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Resident Evil 4 was so influential in both horror and action that it essentially invented Gears of War, according to the guys who made Gears of War.

It's an absolutely essential game to play, more so than any other RE title.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes I agree, remember the Xbone being like "well... you can plug a tv into this?"

Just very surprising to me that Sony and MS are not shoving their side businesses into the consoles as much as they used to, I wonder if that'll change

Barudak posted:

Well physical media is dead and the PS4's new media feature, Vue, is too.

Yeah and the PS store tries to sell you digital movies now but I never bought one. I would not be surprised if they bundle Crunchyroll with PS+ at some point

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jables88 posted:

Resident Evil 4 was so influential in both horror and action that it essentially invented Gears of War, according to the guys who made Gears of War.

It's an absolutely essential game to play, more so than any other RE title.

And Dead Space too! Dead Space owns.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just very surprising to me that Sony and MS are not shoving their side businesses into the consoles as much as they used to, I wonder if that'll change

the Xbox IS the side business :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Eight years later and it's still loving hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

the Xbox IS the side business :v:

Actually I did sign into Xbox live to see gamepass on my old PC and suddenly EVERYTHING ON WINDOWS was signed into my account, which greatly annoyed me
Also PC gamepass seems worse

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guillermus posted:

And Dead Space too! Dead Space owns.

Yes. Yes it does.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://gamerant.com/mass-effect-legendary-edition-achievements-gamerscore-fans-upset/

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Serious broke-brain poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That has to be on purpose, laffo

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Holy what?!?! Uneven Gamerscores are a pet peeve? That's a new one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Imagine caring about gamer score.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I really enjoy getting achievements, but could not give a single poo poo about what value my gamerscore is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't check the ME2 or ME3 ones, but they changed a lot for ME1.

The companion achievements have been changed from "Complete the majority of the game" to "Complete 5 missions", which means you don't have to dedicate several playthroughs to getting them.

All of the "Use ability/skill" achievements have been cut down to a third.

The two separate Paragon and Renegade 75% achievements have been combined into one.

No more kill achievements for different enemy types, and no more weapon achievements.

However, there are some new meta ones:

Long Service Medal: "Complete Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 with the same character"
Insanity III: "Complete all three games in Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Insanity without changing difficulty"
Paramour III: "Establish or rekindle a romantic relationship in all three games in Mass Effect Legendary Edition"
Veteran: "Kill 2,000 enemies in Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3"

These are good changes, as it means people can just focus on doing one playthrough and then move on to the next game. Originally, ME1 required a minimum of 3 playthroughs to earn all of that stuff (but it was really 4, for practical reasons because lol some of that stuff was nonsense).

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 11, 2021

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Apparently some folks get upset with the Game Pass quests that trigger an achievement because having incomplete games messes up their True Achievements gamerscore or something? I like getting them as much as anyone but lol at making such a stupid rod for your own back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My gamer score ends in a 7. :unsmigghh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite gamerscore troll goes to bulletwitch which is very easy to get 999 points in and grants a single point for beating the game on the highest one hit kill difficulty

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

^ oh god that rules

American McGay posted:

My gamer score ends in a 7. :unsmigghh:
I vaguely remember there being a Halo 3 achievement that did that maybe?? If there's still a way to get mine to end in some kind of a funny digit I'd love to make it happen bc I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about about the aesthetics of my gamer number.

Also I laughed when I imported my Destiny 2 progress from PS4 and it immediately gave me like 2000 gamer points

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ErrEff posted:

The companion achievements have been changed from "Complete the majority of the game" to "Complete 5 missions", which means you don't have to dedicate several playthroughs to getting them.

Oh thank god. I tried twice to get the achievement for Liara in the original and never got it. Made an absolute beeline to getting her as soon as possible and then had her as a companion for the entire rest of the game.

Edit: Although this isn't something that would bother me these days, I'll probably never see most of the achievements in this remaster shrug.

I like achievements that clue me in that there might be something interesting or fun to do, I'll never grind them out for the sake of them again.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I really only achievements when they're used humorously, like the one you get in Wolfenstein II for killing Hitler and getting instadeath from his guards.