Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kennel posted:

Dustin

"...the same it is now."
Well, let's see. The last time gas was 30 cents a gallon was 1964. In 1964 the minimum wage was $1/hr (went up to $1.15 in September). One dollar in 1964 is $8.54 now.

So in conclusion, gently caress off, Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, did we come in at a weird time for Terry and the Pirates or was it always like this? Because for a long time the only thing I knew about it was a joke in Bloom County ("Is Terry and the Pirates a bad comic?" was the punchline, and I gotta say I'm leaning towards 'yes').

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

I'd be tempted to go for a Moomin x-ray avatar if my current one wasn't already so damned good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's interesting to note that fellow Bad Comic Strip Writer With Too Much Character Detail, John Zakour, has done a few of these low-effort "find the mistakes" strips that are the laziest things possible to the point of being infuriating. See, Kevin is a herbivore but the "mistake" is that he's eating meat! Get it? Get it? Eh? Get it? Eh?

The Dinette Set is probably just a coincidence.

Working Daze thinks it's smart.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix forgot to tell a joke!

Cul De Sac once again presents the TRUE HARBINGER OF DOOM! :gonk:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Uh Oh baby is back and we're all gonna die

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

My own Grandmother once did something similar, just a stroke rather than a heart attack. I forget which relative of mine she called, but they got her help at least.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze thinks it's smart.

Ah yes, the true sign of intelligence, memorizing a bunch of numbers. I'm sure all the greatest mathematicians and physicists had pi memorized to more digits than would be useful for calculation. So what applications does pi have? What new theories will it be considered in? Who cares, it's just a bunch of numbers, and this girl knows all the numbers, so that means she's the smartest!

gently caress I hate this comic.

Ashsaber posted:

My own Grandmother once did something similar, just a stroke rather than a heart attack. I forget which relative of mine she called, but they got her help at least.

She didn't specifically call about it so it's not quite the same, but one time my grandmother was having a weekly phone chat with my aunt, and my aunt suddenly realized "Wait, you're kind of slurring your words. I think you might be having a stroke, you should call 911 right now." And it turned out, yeah, she had a stroke.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I memorized pi to a lot of digits in middle school because it was on one of those alphabet strips all the way around the top of the room in my very boring math class

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah yes, the true sign of intelligence, memorizing a bunch of numbers. I'm sure all the greatest mathematicians and physicists had pi memorized to more digits than would be useful for calculation. So what applications does pi have? What new theories will it be considered in? Who cares, it's just a bunch of numbers, and this girl knows all the numbers, so that means she's the smartest!

You're not going to like today's WD then.

The Dinette Set is going to walk around a bit before then too.

Working Daze nobody cares.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is probably going to have to talk to HR, too.

Cul De Sac is not a crowd pleaser.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set is going to walk around a bit before then too.

:iceburn:

I love hating the people in this comic, which means it's doing what is supposed to be doing better than average

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! (May 19, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 12, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 19, 1924)

Shiver sheet!

Gay and Her Gang (June 28, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 29, 1935)

Mopsy (January 28, 1937)

Dark Laughter (August 11, 1945)

Those Were the Days (April 9, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 18, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 18, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

And He Died! (May 19, 1918)

Dark Laughter (August 11, 1945)

A) :catdrugs:, B) is this a daylight savings time joke? It looks like the US only adopted it in 1918, so it'd fit but also be a very early joke about it, and 3) You know what, I agree.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The Bloop posted:

:iceburn:

I love hating the people in this comic, which means it's doing what is supposed to be doing better than average

I dig Dinette Set because it really does capture aspects about putzy upper Midwestern culture.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Presto posted:

Well, let's see. The last time gas was 30 cents a gallon was 1964. In 1964 the minimum wage was $1/hr (went up to $1.15 in September). One dollar in 1964 is $8.54 now.

So in conclusion, gently caress off, Steve.

And a few years later in 1968 the number jumps to $11.65! :eng101:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/business/us-minimum-wage-by-year/index.html

So yes. gently caress off, Steve.

If it makes you feel better Cooper, the world actually IS conspiring against you! I mean, if poverty-tier work was easy to move past then nobody would do it and then retailers would have to offer benefits or some bullshit.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 17-18, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 28-31, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

I memorized pi to a lot of digits in middle school because it was on one of those alphabet strips all the way around the top of the room in my very boring math class

I memorized pi to a lot of digits when I had a long commute because I had a car CD with this song in heavy rotation, and to my astonishment, one day I found myself singing along with the robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanjZw5hPvE

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Bloop posted:

A childhood friend's phone number is just deep enough in that memorizing up to that point was nerd-fun but not so deep it feels like something worth bragging about. Low 20s.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Working Daze reminds me a lot of Dominic Deagan where the authors seem to have this sort of cargo cult understanding of intelligence or being a nerd and so they fetishize things like books (comic or otherwise) and numbers and things. It's so bizarre.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

You're not going to like today's WD then.

You could post that every day and it would be true.

quote:

Cul De Sac is not a crowd pleaser.

Sounds like a typical soccer game to me. :v:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I once overheard an increasingly upset woman at Costco having a phone conversation, the upshot of which was, "Ma! Stop talking on the phone with me and call 911! No, I can't right now, call an ambulance! Ma! Hang up-- Ma! I don't know if you're okay, Ma, call 91-- MA!"

My own grandmother once lay on the floor of her garage all night until my aunt came to check on her the next day and found her there. Grammy had been wearing a life alert bracelet the whole time, but she forgot. :smith: (Grammy has passed on now, but not from that.)

Bernice, open your loving mouth and TELL HIM you want to go get something to eat or something. Dude came into this strip as a ladies man (though the Evanses quickly dropped that aspect of his character as soon as they decided to make him Good), I assure you he will not faint dead away nor will he combust with anger at the thought of a girl he knows wanting to date him.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

I once overheard an increasingly upset woman at Costco having a phone conversation, the upshot of which was, "Ma! Stop talking on the phone with me and call 911! No, I can't right now, call an ambulance! Ma! Hang up-- Ma! I don't know if you're okay, Ma, call 91-- MA!"

My own grandmother once lay on the floor of her garage all night until my aunt came to check on her the next day and found her there. Grammy had been wearing a life alert bracelet the whole time, but she forgot. :smith: (Grammy has passed on now, but not from that.)

Bernice, open your loving mouth and TELL HIM you want to go get something to eat or something. Dude came into this strip as a ladies man (though the Evanses quickly dropped that aspect of his character as soon as they decided to make him Good), I assure you he will not faint dead away nor will he combust with anger at the thought of a girl he knows wanting to date him.

I am constantly surprised that Greg Evans managed to procreate given how little he knows about human relationships.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I am constantly surprised that Greg Evans managed to procreate given how little he knows about human relationships.

I assume his daughter split, amoeba-like, from his side, given how little she seems to understand them either

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Lazy Colorist

The gag is the track is plaid, so let's color it all the same beige.

Get Fuzzy 5/10/01

Brenda Starr 6/13-15/46

Smokey Stover 1/19/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Shouldn't golf-ball-size hail make it snead, not sneed?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 11, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

manero posted:

I dig Dinette Set because it really does capture aspects about putzy upper Midwestern culture.
Same here, and I also love how it's lowkey set in Illinois but clearly the buttfuck nowhere parts of it.

It's amusing to me that apparently the thread spent a while(as in years ago, not recently) not getting that it was supposed to be laugh at, not with, but that might be less obvious to people who aren't familiar with midwest boomer ways.

Technowolf posted:

I'm gonna assume he did the boomer thing where he just kinda got pushed into marrying the first available woman who tolerated being around him more than a month. How his daughter(who's doing at least part of the writing now iirc?) is equally bad at this is baffling to me, though. Maybe Greg vetoes anything that looks too similar to how a normal human capable of communication does things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The bit with the maps is an excellent joke that I don't think I ever caught before.

this joke on the other hand

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (July 25, 1992)

Funny thing about Sari, she's still drawn here as a small child, but next time we see her in a couple days Koivisto has remembered she's almost 14.

Aune is one of my most hated characters in Mämmilä. There's no way to do the rumormongering she does without intentionally knowing you're stirring up poo poo in other people's lives.

Haifisch posted:

I'm gonna assume he did the boomer thing where he just kinda got pushed into marrying the first available woman who tolerated being around him more than a month. How his daughter(who's doing at least part of the writing now iirc?) is equally bad at this is baffling to me, though. Maybe Greg vetoes anything that looks too similar to how a normal human capable of communication does things.

Are we sure they haven't been living in a bunker all this time, and only send copies of their comics to their editor through a slot in their bunker's door?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

catlord posted:

3) You know what, I agree.

Me too!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3wChBrk54

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (April 2-8, 2001)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 30, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 30, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 30, 1989)

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 11, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 2/18-20/43

Deer: Almost, but not quite, as useless as Sam Cooper.

"So my boyfriend got eaten by a crocodile and I still has a sad over it and where were we? Oh yeah, you were kidnapping me."

Bird language is surprisingly efficient. And Horus doesn't waste any time either.

Also note Myra's neck ribbon, just to make it clear she's a girl bird.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 11, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "47 - Jucika and Polite Men"

"Jucika as Babysitter"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slammy posted:

And people STILL do this.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Isn't this a repeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Samovar posted:

Isn't this a repeat?

Oops! Thanks. Here's today's.