Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Would you really need to get caught by firemen to survive letting go of the ski lift? It didn’t seem that high with soft snow to land on...

They don't comment on it but that scene has an incredible jump cut to men zipping up body bags and stacking them like cord wood on the back of a flatbed. It's so loving dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The "Oh great, more bones!" :rolleyes: riff in Reptilicus is going to kill me any time that I decide to rewatch it, any time someone posts a Reptilicus screenshot I think about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t know if this should actually be spoilered, but just in case: they just announced they’ll be riffing Gamera vs Jiger in the new season.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t know if this should actually be spoilered, but just in case: they just announced they’ll be riffing Gamera vs Jiger in the new season.

Yesssssss

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Diabolik900 posted:

I took a screenshot of the email message that has a brief plot summary:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It looks awesome and I bet Joel has wanted to do it for a long time. Bill Corbett would call that plot summary alone a gift.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bicyclops posted:

It looks awesome and I bet Joel has wanted to do it for a long time. Bill Corbett would call that plot summary alone a gift.

I hope he's working on that one

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress yeah

Also worth noting in the update is it's probably the first new episode they release ("hopefully by the end of this year" specified)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It feels really good every time I remember that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't cancelled.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is this a place where I could be excited about finally joining the an MST3k kickstarter, supporting the gang finally, and also be super stoked about the Gizmoplex? Please say yes :ohdear:

Also, I tend to play the Mike episodes on shuffle as a way to fall asleep sometimes. I watched like half of Season 11, and loved all of season 12--the latter in a binge, as intended.

I watched S11 in 2016 and I wanted to like it, but I couldn't really get with the joke flow and everything. Everything felt a bit hyper and manic, and it was way too different than what I was used to. I had some laughs but sometimes I had to just slip back 10 seconds to catch what the hell they said.

I was also in a bit of a worse place than I am now, 5-ish years later. Is it worth giving it another shot, especially now that I'm a bit more used to the new crew?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it's worth going back and giving it a shot, especially if you liked season 12. Maybe cherry pick some episodes in the last half of 11 and if they do it for you then try them all again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Do yourself a favor and for sure watch Cry Wilderness, Starcrash and Avalanche.

EDIT: And Carnival Magic. That movie is just insane.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also the rest

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Um...granted, this is half remembered from cinamassacres monster madness when they did Gamera movies, but isn’t that the movie where :nms: they show actual footage of an elephant having its trunk infested with parasitic maggots, and they...uh, cut it open :barf: :nms:

I’d be fine if they skipped that part

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Well now I have to hear them cover Kiss Kicker.

One of the highlights of the Hobgoblins stream for me was Joel's protests that Kiss Kicker was actually kind of a good song.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Um...granted, this is half remembered from cinamassacres monster madness when they did Gamera movies, but isn’t that the movie where :nms: they show actual footage of an elephant having its trunk infested with parasitic maggots, and they...uh, cut it open :barf: :nms:

I’d be fine if they skipped that part

I believe it's never been really verified either way if it was actual/stock footage or faked but yeah I'd also agree avoiding that scene altogether wouldn't really be a bad thing

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

One of the highlights of the Hobgoblins stream for me was Joel's protests that Kiss Kicker was actually kind of a good song.

It was very reminiscent of songs by The Damned, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Julet Esqu posted:

I was watching hobgoblins a few months back for the first time in a while and I... I think he's right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chris James 2 posted:

I believe it's never been really verified either way if it was actual/stock footage or faked but yeah I'd also agree avoiding that scene altogether wouldn't really be a bad thing
The good news is that this would be a real easy forty seconds of film to cut out, almost to the point where I think they anticipated it might be cut. On the other hand, there's a really great reaction shot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Carnival Magic. That movie is just insane.

Yet somehow we never received the promised sequel

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic both have the same feel to them, that an alien computer was forced to watch some kids movies and create a film based on its understanding of what a movie was supposed to be, based only on that learning. Carnival Magic also feels like it's some other TV show's attempt at a backdoor pilot via TV movie.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cry Wilderness is like a cheap, straight-to-video sequel to an already cheap, cheesy movie they forgot to make.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Julet Esqu posted:

yeah, i've always thought so. it's a jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0DPvBFqBPg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

Cry Wilderness is like a cheap, straight-to-video sequel to an already cheap, cheesy movie they forgot to make.

Yeah it is kind of weird how much of the story revolves around Paul's previous adventure with bigfoot that we don't get to see.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I kind of expected the 'magic' part of 'Carnival Magic' to explain why the chimp can talk.

But no. It just can.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

yeah, i've always thought so. it's a jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0DPvBFqBPg

I like this song, but it doesn't compare to that classic Club Scum anthem of "CHORD CHORD CHORD CHORD CHORD CHORD OTHER CHORD/CHORD CHORD OTHER CHORD" :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Imagine a concert from the greatest hits of MST3K's greatest songs!

Start things off slow with the 'I Sing Whenever I Sing Whenever I Sing,' pick it up with a peppy 'Are You Happy In Your Work,' ramp it up with 'Yipe Stripes,' keep it going with 'Idiot Control Now,' slow it down just a bit with 'California Ladeeeeeee' and finish strong with 'Kiss Kicker.'

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Be the cover band you want to be. Sounds like you already have your first album already written.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno, the Jonah credits with their elevator-music versions of Creepy Girl and so on are threatening to make them less funny for me

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Unkempt posted:

I kind of expected the 'magic' part of 'Carnival Magic' to explain why the chimp can talk.

But no. It just can.

what stage of grief is chimp play?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love the Carnival Magic Cinematic Universe!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I think it’s only appropriate that Gamera vs Jiger should be one of the two Joel episodes, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

I think it’s only appropriate that Gamera vs Jiger should be one of the two Joel episodes, right?

I'd say so except Joel said it's probably the first episode of this season, which I'd want to be Emily honestly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it is kind of weird how much of the story revolves around Paul's previous adventure with bigfoot that we don't get to see.

Huh. I never realized this. It suddenly does feel like a sequel to a non-existent "Paul and the Summer of Coke-Bigfoot" movie that never happened.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'd say so except Joel said it's probably the first episode of this season, which I'd want to be Emily honestly.

The update said it is going to be the 3rd movie they riff

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gaz-L posted:

My immediate thought was Jonah first so they could introduce the concept of several experiments happening at once. But I think you're right. I've never seen Emily's crew riff, so I'd like to get to know her right away.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

WeaponX posted:

The update said it is going to be the 3rd movie they riff

I think they were referring to it as the third movie revealed (they've already announced two others). Pretty sure Joel mentioned it was a likely candidate to be the "premiere" episode, though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine they'll do Jonah first, to set up continuity

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

I imagine they'll do Jonah first, to set up continuity

Emily and co already have a little experience with the new production process (they re-riffed the 'Behind The Scenes At The Supermarket' short last year, using the basic concept) so on top of wanting to introduce her to a wider audience, I can see starting with them so Jonah/Baron/Hampton can get used to shooting at home/etc.

Actually, given the charity shorts they did last year, is it possible Joel is going to be working with Bill and Josh as his Crow and Tom? (MJ could even be GPC, to keep with having a woman voice her now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I mean story continuity, inasmuch as there is any. like, in story terms, Emily going to have to be introduced somehow... I hope they at least do that in the first episode. I don't think they'd start with her at the jump, even though I'd love to see that.

I hope it's going to be Bill and Josh with Joel again, too.