Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Just Chamber posted:

Haven't listened to it yet as I've been crazy busy at work so just going by the comments itt. But I do think there's something to say for just starting off basic and over time working in your large narrative with the state of the world slowly learnt by the characters and that sense of discovery is thus shared by the audience. A lot of my favourite RPGs start that way where you'll just start as some dude on say a ship and you gradually encounter more and more wild poo poo and learn just what the world you're in is all about. It's why I really loved Balance where they started as just some adventures exploring a cave, finding a magic item, that item turns out to be important etc. Or other DnD podcasts I enjoy like Dungeons and Daddies where the premise was simply just 4 dads from our world are suddenly thrown into a portal and things gradually get built on from there. I dont know, maybe I just like that more organic feel?

Whereas here it sound like Griffin has planned out a lot of it so far for this new campaign and is telling not showing, like what the state of the world is, what they'll be doing etc (building settlements?). But perhaps i'm misreading the comments and it's not as set out as i'm interpreting? Still I trust Griffin, and while I didnt really enjoy Amnesty I bet he's learnt a lot and this will be a really fun journey.

I hope by now you listened to the episode since your assumptions are wrong. Griffin spends 5 minutes describing the back story of the world and then immediately says that is literally all he planned and everything else will be figured out on the way.

And building settlements is the point of the game they are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This jogged my memory. Right before the Covid lockdown, my gaming group started a post-apocalyptic/rebuilding game. Basically, some wizards hosed up real bad and caused the Sun to go super nova. As the surface becomes too hot for survival (and Fire Elementals start moving in), surface refugees pour into the underground kingdoms of the Dwarves. The Dwarves only have limited resources, so the job of adventurers is to scout and retake Dwarven tunnels and halls lost to monsters so that refugees could live there. Eventually, this would lead to eventual colonization of the Under Dark and conflict with the Drow and Illithids.

Man, gently caress Covid.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I listened to the thing.

it's compelling radio, despite the fact that they're coming up with things to draw.

everybody says interesting stuff, and I'm curious to see how it all shakes out.

this is the most tepid-sounding endorsement, but I was trepidatious and now am not as much.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I gotta disagree about it being compelling, it feels like listening to a brainstorming session in a writer’s room. I’d rather hear the characters discover a world by exploring it than hear the creators put it together piece by piece out of character.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i mean players are also creating a world piece by piece when they play too?

tabletop games aren't video games, everything is created as you go

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qsnr82uy871vpmkap.mp4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Whitey posted:

I gotta disagree about it being compelling, it feels like listening to a brainstorming session in a writer’s room.

that's fair too. I talk a bunch about campaign/game design with a couple of friends, so it's a special area of interest for me. and I liked the first TAZ episode. and I'd like to listen to a brainstorming session in a writer's room.

Varinn posted:

i mean players are also creating a world piece by piece when they play too?

tabletop games aren't video games, everything is created as you go

but also this. it's clearer on the one hand in Rude Tales, where there are set pieces but the players' improv leads to actual changes in the world. or in Hello from the Magic Tavern, where everything is improv but it begins canon. or in reverse with Graduation, maybe.

I like being able to see the thing getting built, but I can also see how this would be dry as hell for someone who wants to hear D&D.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This is fantastic

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

This was entirely predictable yet still completely satisfying

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I present to you a real Sophie's choice of youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7bK1jg69I

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrV_uxQLbFM

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The source material is good enough that the Travis/Teresa stream isn't terrible.

EDIT: The "Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives from 1894" book appears to mostly be fiction so I take back my endorsement. Watch birds.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big fruit is also low hanging, it seems.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don't know who Hank Green is but it's nice that he had fun with it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good episode today. Lots of good questions except for the old Final Yahoo.

Munch Squad good too. Taco Bell has gone too far!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I forget how long Max Fun Drive lasts. Is it 2 weeks? I feel like I fast forwarded half the ep today :nyoron:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I hope you didn't skip the beginning. Travis needs his pills.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea it's like how in Sophie's Choice Sophie said 'man one of my kids loving sucks' to the nazi.

(they're both fine but come on, BDG singing a bizarre song always wins)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

loving :laffo:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The source material is good enough that the Travis/Teresa stream isn't terrible.

EDIT: The "Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives from 1894" book appears to mostly be fiction so I take back my endorsement. Watch birds.

Oh thats what it is. I was a little concerned it was actual sex tips with travis.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The intro is pretty good. Lots of goofs and gapes

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

The intro is pretty good. Lots of goofs and gapes

Rapidly Going Deaf › McElory + BDG Love Zone: Lots of goofs and gapes

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rapidly Going Deaf › McElory + BDG Love Zone: We Finally Shut The gently caress Up About Soy Face, Come Back Everyone

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

Rapidly Going Deaf › McElory + BDG Love Zone: Lots of goofs and gapes

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rapidly Going Deaf › McElory + BDG Love Zone: an ant-covered Walmart bag full of rotten sauce packet wrappers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They rub their filthy bodies together

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have no interest in getting sex tips from travis mcelroy but i loving love that he posted a video about getting sex tips from him, in this year, with everyone mad at him

he truly was a sexpert

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't know who Hank Green is but it's nice that he had fun with it

he’s another famous internet brother, more famous than the McElroys.

He does a lot of science content, that your kids might see in class sometimes if the teacher’s not feeling it that day

also his brother vlogs too and wrote The Fault in Our Stars, make of that what you will

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

also his brother vlogs too and wrote The Fault in Our Stars, make of that what you will

he's also the reason you can't edit posts on tumblr anymore

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be great if BDG takes a turn towards serious music ala' Childish Gambino or Joji and nails it. They're really fun and interesting musicians, so it's not impossible... but man they have such a good weird flavor goin' on.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

he’s another famous internet brother, more famous than the McElroys.

Is he in Trolls 2? If not this statement is suspect

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That BDG video has such a ridiculous credit roll.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
wait is Hank not the one who writes bad books and spent the aughts getting owned on tumblr?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
hank started writing mediocre books later but john is the one who gets continuously owned

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

wait is Hank not the one who writes bad books and spent the aughts getting owned on tumblr?

that was his brother John

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
good for him being the better brother

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
waiting to see if any enterprising person samples this ep to remake Neil Cicerega's "Yahoo"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be great if BDG takes a turn towards serious music ala' Childish Gambino or Joji and nails it. They're really fun and interesting musicians, so it's not impossible... but man they have such a good weird flavor goin' on.

He's way ahead of you.

Also this is the first time I've actually listened to their music and it's real weird hearing BDG sing completely normal songs.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I enjoyed the first episode of Ethersea well enough but I didn't really understand the goal. I keep hearing The Quiet Year being called a "game" but there don't seem to be any goals or consequences. Nothing seems to really matter.

For those of you who have played - is there a goal? Is there any success metric?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

dantheman650 posted:

I enjoyed the first episode of Ethersea well enough but I didn't really understand the goal. I keep hearing The Quiet Year being called a "game" but there don't seem to be any goals or consequences. Nothing seems to really matter.

For those of you who have played - is there a goal? Is there any success metric?

There's not really a goal or success metric to any tabletop role playing game. The goal is to have fun and tell stories, this is just a different way of doing it.

And for their purposes, it creates context, backstory, and a shared understanding of the world they're going to be playing in. I think it's got a lot of potential.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

dantheman650 posted:

It's basically a collaborative, organic way to build a world and it's history and facts about the world through the prompts TQY gives you. It's basically like coming up with what the old world looked like before the bombs fell in Fallout or what the Sumerilian does for LotR and defining what the first 2 ages looked like so they can be peppered into the main story as needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

more falafel please posted:

There's not really a goal or success metric to any tabletop role playing game.

That's patently untrue. When playing as a character in a role playing game, you absolutely have personal and group goals. If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it. If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

I'm all onboard the "just have fun" train, but it helps to know a little about what they are working toward.

ImPureAwesome posted:

It's basically a collaborative, organic way to build a world and it's history and facts about the world through the prompts TQY gives you. It's basically like coming up with what the old world looked like before the bombs fell in Fallout or what the Sumerilian does for LotR and defining what the first 2 ages looked like so they can be peppered into the main story as needed

Again, I'm down with this, but it is in no way a "game" and it feels weird to call it one. But I'm just picking at nits - it doesn't really matter.