Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Does anyone know what all went down on the Tamisha Iman show? I'm seeing tons of youtube breakdown videos, but I don't feel like spending 15 minutes watching a recap.

Or if anyone could provide a short recap of this entire drama it would be great. I keep seeing it on reddit but I can't tell where it even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently they have gone off the loving deep end. Bussy went into it when it started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLOpaw38POo

But it just seems to have gone crazier from there. /r/RPDRDRAMA/ has been flooded with info too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vintersorg posted:

Apparently they have gone off the loving deep end. Bussy went into it when it started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLOpaw38POo

But it just seems to have gone crazier from there. /r/RPDRDRAMA/ has been flooded with info too.

Yeah, that's the video that keeps popping up for me. Maybe I should just take 15 minutes to watch it.

Edit: It absolutely was not worth watching, even though in the now two videos I've seen of Bussy, I find him amusing.

Basically, in a series of videos, Tamisha talked vaguely about being censored by social media platforms (imo unlikely), how RPDR is rigged (imo likely), how drag race fans suck (its true), that she is launching her own streaming service for $25 a month (hmm), someone hacked her merch store (that sucks), and vaguely responds to Kandy trash talking her at live shows. Monet is involved somehow that I still don't quite understand, and Bob joined Kandy on a video to encourage fans to be nicer to Tamisha.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 11, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

My fiancé also read (I think on the Reddit) that she made transphobic comments as well saying that biological women can’t do drag just making the whole thing even worse. The entire situation just seems like a total mess really making me change my opinion of her.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think the hack was a disgruntled employee of theirs cancelling orders on their webstore.

Also Bussy is always worth it cause they are amazing and cute.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kagon posted:

My fiancé also read (I think on the Reddit) that she made transphobic comments as well saying that biological women can’t do drag just making the whole thing even worse. The entire situation just seems like a total mess really making me change my opinion of her.

Isn't this just an age old tradition of misogyny rather than transphobia? Biological women have always been told they can't do drag and no one gives a poo poo about drag kings lol

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Dracula made me care about one drag king. Unless you were saying that’s Tamisha’s viewpoint.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tamisha sort of did a speedrun "see how much fanbase goodwill i can burn". but it's hard to find history of because so much of it happens in livechats and zooms and whatever the gently caress else.

so her new Tamisha Iman show was - subscribe or pay up front, and you get an email invite to the session. people got invites, but ended up being redirected to a secondary paywall by mistake. so it asked them to pay again. once this was resolved, people joined the session - which started 4.5 hours late and contained nothing that was promised. she also promised to hunt down fans sharing content from her channel or streams and fine them $one thousand doolahs!$

then sometime in the next 48 hours she put the whole thing up publicly (but unlisted) on her youtube channel, pissing off the people who had dropped money on her show (ie, the people that like her most).

also apparently a bunch of people ordered shoes from Tamisha, still haven't received them like three months later, and have been told "no refunds!" the subsequent post was "if you don't like me, you can chuck my merch in the trash when you get it."

ultimately i think it's a combination of Tamisha being way too online, not really being prepared to feel the restraining arm of WoW and not having a manager sensible enough to say "uh maybe don't post that" or run their web services for them.

(the monet x change / bob thing is weird; tamisha took offence that monet basically dunked on her a bit in the Sibling Rivalry podcast. Monet sort of did dunk on her, but obviously it was inbetween all sorts of nice stuff. it wasn't out of the ordinary for any drag podcast, let alone two cheeky characters like bob and monet. but this prompted everyone's favorite level-headed diplomat The Vixen to weigh in with the scorching hot take that "Monet X Change has made a living tearing down black people" or something like that. it got really personal and mean-spirited but Bob sort of levelled it all out.)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Belial42 posted:

Dracula made me care about one drag king. Unless you were saying that’s Tamisha’s viewpoint.

Excuse me, everyone needs some Tenderoni in their life. :colbert:

https://www.instagram.com/tenderoni88/?hl=en

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm just living for all the fucks Tamisha simultaneously gives and doesn't give. She really needs an agent or something to help her with online stuff, because in spite of how shoddy everything is, she can certainly deliver the kind of petty drama that younger queens don't bring nowadays but that everyone secretly craves.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

If someone had told me, episode 1, that Kandy and Tamisha would have come out the other side of S13 with the former seeming ten times more mature than the latter, I would have laughed in their face. Now...

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Belial42 posted:

Read After Burning posted:

Excuse me, everyone needs some Tenderoni in their life. :colbert:

https://www.instagram.com/tenderoni88/?hl=en

True!
And Travis Fiero (Chicago), Spikey van Dykey (Alabama), and Tito Soto (San Francisco)!

At any rate, I think Tamisha was referring to cis women drag queens.

But there are some cool and talented cis women drag queens - a few with great internet presence like Venus Envy (Orlando) and Creme Fatale (Los Angeles).
My favorites (I'm biased ;) ) may be Chicago icons Siichele and Her? Queen. They're really phenomenal - Siichele has one of the best mugs in the game (she is the first person Shea Coulee ever do her makeup for her), and Her? is a rollerskating hairstyling phenomenon (and Yvie Oddly's drag daughter).
e: (also, they just suffered a housefire, so if you like their work and want to tip $1-5 their way then that would mean the world :) )

I'm not sure if there's generally agreed-upon terminology for cis women queens - I've seen "AFAB queen" to include nonbinary and transmasc AFAB queens but it's kind of invasive, and "bioqueen" and "hyperqueen" feel like they pull attention away from the actual drag element of it. Personally, as a cis woman who does femme drag performances as a hobby, I'm fine with anything and prefer to just say "cis woman drag queen" when it's relevant, but different people have different preferences :)

It's disappointing to have Tamisha say cis women can't be drag queens, but I think cis women queens should be able to accept that our performances have a different commentary on gender roles that makes some people see it as invalid. It's fine, I don't need to be her friend!

Hug in a Can fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 11, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Holy poo poo, I've followed Spikey van Dykey for a while, but I had no idea he was from Alabama! I have no choice but to stan, now.

As for the "cis female drag queen" discussion, it's interesting to me, as it seems cis women are only accepted as "Drag queens" if they're popstars (look at Gaga, Dolly Parton, Cher, etc). I've also heard "bioqueen" isn't used much anymore, because it sort of comes from the same place as "biological woman" which I believe is seen these days as outdated phrasing.

I am a massive fan of Creme Fatale! I highly suggest y'all give her a follow, she's the ur-hyperqueen in my eyes.

https://www.instagram.com/cremefatale/?hl=en

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

It’s definitely an interesting discussions and that is for the clarification on what she meant. Either way it seems Tamisha is determined to lose any fans she earned from drag race in an impressive manner.

But I have new queens to follow from those links!

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Read After Burning posted:

I am a massive fan of Creme Fatale! I highly suggest y'all give her a follow, she's the ur-hyperqueen in my eyes.

https://www.instagram.com/cremefatale/?hl=en
I second this. Creme Fatale is a delight.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Talk about the third episode of Drag Race Australia, how did Ru decide to keep Elektra Shock, she was clearly dancing desperately and just doing twirls and splits most of the time distractingly! Coco Jumbo danced to the rhythm of the song and was much better.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Pan Dulce posted:

Talk about the third episode of Drag Race Australia, how did Ru decide to keep Elektra Shock, she was clearly dancing desperately and just doing twirls and splits most of the time distractingly! Coco Jumbo danced to the rhythm of the song and was much better.

I might have missed that part because I was still recovering from the brain damage caused by Elektra being in the bottom two in the first place. What kind of hogshit excuse is "you were too much better than your teammates"?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The judging is all over the place this season that can only be explained by a planned boot order.

I thought that lip sync started off super strong, with both queens having incredible energy, but as it went on, they were just doing the same thing over and over. Coco just kept on doing windmills with her arms, and Electra just kept on doing splits and death drops.

Also, Scarlett Adams is maybe one of the most attractive queens to ever be on the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nihonniboku posted:

The judging is all over the place this season that can only be explained by a planned boot order.

I thought that lip sync started off super strong, with both queens having incredible energy, but as it went on, they were just doing the same thing over and over. Coco just kept on doing windmills with her arms, and Electra just kept on doing splits and death drops.

Also, Scarlett Adams is maybe one of the most attractive queens to ever be on the show.

To each their own, but I'd take Courtney Act, Farrah Moan, Asstina, and/or Katya over any of the rest of the queens.

:swoon:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If you like her face now just wait till you've seen it painted black

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Finally started DRDU, and the only queens I really got attached to after episode 1 were Art and Coco. I guess I'm not in for a good time, but we will see.

Overall, kind of a slow start compared to DRCAN and both DRUKs, which both shot out the gate with big personalities and high polish.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Caught up to episode 3 now, and my favorite one left is Elektra, who it's pretty clear they're gonna do dirty.

Also, does this mean they have the racism chat with only white queens left? Lol

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I think throwing together a debut season with the amount of restrictions they're clearly dealing with was a terrible call. The show feels so rinky dink

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Our Very Special Snatch Game Contestants: Literally everyone we have on set!

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

I can agree that Elektra was doing too much, but enough of the moves landed that I loved it. The standstill -> 360 spin into a split caused to me shout "what the gently caress" at my TV.

Elektra is obviously doomed but I enjoyed her fully this week.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sorry, but you were too good this week. You're in the bottom two.
She's getting the Shuga treatment

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bushido Brown posted:

The standstill -> 360 spin into a split caused to me shout "what the gently caress" at my TV.

it got a room full of gasps in the pogs household. i was surprised it didn't get the BOOOM sound effect, it was one of the 'biggest' looking moves i've seen someone do.

now that we've got a rogue's gallery of white queens remaining i'm dreading the rest of the season, especially if there is the "very special episode" about racism. scarlett's edit makes me think she's going far as well and unless there's a shockingly frank discussion about some of the stuff she's done, i'm worried it's all going to feel pretty insincere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's with all the dumb loving hats? Sorry, I have this deeply-ingrained dislike for almost all hats. Scarlet's big brimmed one, and the fuzzy hat, and... I forget her name, but the one wearing the M Bison looking hat... I think they look terrible.

I realize I'm in the minority, but hey, with all white queens left, the show could definitely use some of that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am really loving hating them being outright mother fuckers to Electra and saying "basic drag" to their face not as a hee haw joke but a serious insult. Man, gently caress them. Quite frankly, I am getting sick of Michelle Visage and her bullshit. No one gave a poo poo about Seduction and now you're the punchline every week for being "the huge slut" even though you've been married for close to 25 years. Down under has put a bad taste in my mouth.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My partner and I have strongly disliked Michelle for a couple of years now. From her weird attitude on RPDR UK (pretending to be an authority on UK culture, except oops, she didn't even understand basic chip shop jokes) to her borderline-to-outright racism to Plastique in S11, just off the top of my head. Sure, Michelle has the history in the ballroom scene (RuPaul does not, if I understand right), but how often does ballroom or vogueing even come up anymore? The gym challenge in S11, and....?

Can we just replace Michelle with Stacey from Drag Race Canada?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

She kinda lost me when she was very obviously toeing the party line on Kandy's runways, as an excuse to drag her into the top four. I mean come the gently caress on:

:barf:

The riggor morris was so strong on S13 that I can't bear to watch any more for a while, and I've been bingeing all of the seasons lately.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, that one especially hurts when you look at what Denali would have worn that week... :(

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Drimble Wedge posted:

She kinda lost me when she was very obviously toeing the party line on Kandy's runways, as an excuse to drag her into the top four. I mean come the gently caress on:

:barf:

The riggor morris was so strong on S13 that I can't bear to watch any more for a while, and I've been bingeing all of the seasons lately.

She looks like she's wearing a cat activity tube

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Michelle’s critique of Kandy’s green body suit felt super heavily edited. Like “you know how I feel about the color Green-“ onto the next queen!

Denali got done dirty.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I think we all have some awareness that Drag Race is overly produced, but if they do a good job producing behind the scenes, it doesn't feel like it.
More and more lately it's just become aggressively obvious, to the point that I'm beginning to consider that they're actively manufacturing meta-commentary show drama for ratings and social media presence.

It feels like every season now a favorite to win goes home too early and an entirely unredeemable mess is dragged to the top four while the judges and editors perform backflips to justify it, and while every viewer loving hates it, everybody is posting about Drag Race online.

I'm actually experiencing a weird real time transition where as more straight friends get into drag race my gay friends are dropping off one by one as it's become less and less gay and more predictable frustrating shlock. It sucks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Poulpe posted:

It feels like every season now a favorite to win goes home too early and an entirely unredeemable mess is dragged to the top four while the judges and editors perform backflips to justify it, and while every viewer loving hates it, everybody is posting about Drag Race online.

In your opinion, who was this in S12? While I don't think she's completely talentless, it boggles my mind that Gigi was top 3. Since so much got cut, I'm curious if Sherry actually "Deserved" her top three placement, or if she was 'big girl dragged to the end' like Silky and Kandy?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Poulpe posted:

I think we all have some awareness that Drag Race is overly produced, but if they do a good job producing behind the scenes, it doesn't feel like it.
More and more lately it's just become aggressively obvious, to the point that I'm beginning to consider that they're actively manufacturing meta-commentary show drama for ratings and social media presence.

I'm actually experiencing a weird real time transition where as more straight friends get into drag race my gay friends are dropping off one by one as it's become less and less gay and more predictable frustrating shlock. It sucks.

Yeah, this is me. I started with season 6 but it just feels so...contrived now, for lack of a better term. Also there's just too much of it with a new show every month almost. I had to take a break after S11 and I think S13 might be my last until an All Winners season.

Edit: or Drag Race Thailand S3 happens

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I do wonder, if the producers had held their noses and just crowned Ginger instead of Violet, if that would have been the "there, you got your big girl" moment and the show would have been spared the free rides for Silky and Kandy. (I think Eureka was a half-step better than those two, which probably isn't saying much, but Eureka didn't seem quite as deluded)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I actually really liked Eureka. Despite how one-note ("I'm big and Southern!") some of her acting performances were, I think she, at least in S10, always looked RIGHT. Like her outfits fit her body perfectly, not like some of the ill-fitting poo poo Silky or Kandy (or even Darianne, as much as I love her) wore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's not a gay show anymore, it's a show about gay people for straight people to watch.