Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Now that I'm less in the heat of the ragequit:

I appreciate that co-op is a possible solution, but I like playing the game as a relaxed solo experience. Is there an early truck that might be able to move this stupid loving trailer because the fleetstar (or whatever the primary work horse of the early game) is not powerful enough to right it or drag it on its side.

It's like 1000 feet from the loving destination it's kind of awful that the game doesn't allow you a nuclear option reset for bullshit like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I think the large cranes can mostly lift those trailers, try just wrecking it up with one until it's in a towable position. If you're lucky any truck hitched to the trailer will "co-operate" with your efforts

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sadly I unhitched so there is no truck to assist. Guess I'll keep bashing my head and fender against it.

It's pretty poo poo because several of the Michigan contracts rely on completion of this one.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I appreciate that co-op is a possible solution, but I like playing the game as a relaxed solo experience. Is there an early truck that might be able to move this stupid loving trailer because the fleetstar (or whatever the primary work horse of the early game) is not powerful enough to right it or drag it on its side.

If you can sell some other trucks and afford the International Paystar I'd give that a try.

Also, you can have two trucks try to yank that trailer in single player. Have Truck A attach a winch to the trailer, then switch to Truck B and attach a winch to Truck A. When you go to pull on Truck A it will turn on and try to drive along with you as if there was a ghost driving it. It's some weird AI towing assist thing the game does.

Just be aware that there are certain immovable objects in the game like rocks and tree stumps that can't be brute forced. If that trailer is hung up on any of those you'll have to pull it back off in some other direction.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 3, 2021

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Also, you can have two trucks try to yank that trailer in single player. Have Truck A attach a winch to the trailer, then switch to Truck B and attach a winch to Truck A. When you go to pull on Truck A it will turn on and try to drive along with you as if there was a ghost driving it. It's some weird AI towing assist thing the game does.

Is this true unmodded? I could swear that every time i've tried something like this the first winch will disappear when i change trucks

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Is this true unmodded? I could swear that every time i've tried something like this the first winch will disappear when i change trucks

Actually, come to think of it you may be right. I think I've only ever done it:

Truck B ---> Truck A + Attached trailer

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You can also dip up to Russia and grab the Taiga, you just need a scout which can repair and it's real close to the spawn. It's a good truck that can make short work of most of Michigan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I normally want a heavy class truck for anything needing a saddle high. Not for any power reasons or anything like that but because between the wide trucks themselves and the limited turning radius you're usually kept from doing anything incredibly boneheaded from a center of gravity point of view. There's a few available from map exploration or else trade everything in to buy one and trade it back when you're done.

That's also where you mount the big cranes which you probably need.

I thought they patched in trailer reset into the mission screen at some point after everybody kept getting their giant mission trailers lodged in weird places.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2021

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If they did I missed it and need to find it. This thing has been getting stuck in places it shouldn't and it's like the game (or this particular trailer) is bugged and hosed.

It wouldn't let me go any further on a paved road and I orbited the trailer and nothing was striking anything, the only thing touching the ground was the tires. No trees, no poles, nothing close to the sides. I looked up and saw power lines and thought maybe they were simulated and hanging it but I tried the route again 30 minutes later and it went by that same spot perfectly smoothly, clipping through the wires and everything.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think from memory I went and completed the mission that gives you the p12 before I finished off the last of those massive trailers and even then it was western star hooked to the trailer with the p12 assisting on the front.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There is a mission reset button that I just wasn't seeing. However I am going after the trailer first thing again (last time was because I was literally right next to it when starting) because I don't know if the restart removes anything you've already delivered but I'm assuming it does.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There is a mission reset button that I just wasn't seeing. However I am going after the trailer first thing again (last time was because I was literally right next to it when starting) because I don't know if the restart removes anything you've already delivered but I'm assuming it does.

The mission reset button only restarts that specific mission. If the mission is to deliver the trailer then the trailer will be reset.
Trailers really suck just for the reason you have already posted, they can become impossible to move. I have beaten most of the game now and I can say that you should never ever buy a trailer unless you really have to. For example if something requires 4 cargo slots.

This game is really frustrating sometimes, the developers absolutely do not care about your time and some tasks are just ludicrous in their requirements. Yukon is so bad about this I actually decided to stop playing that map, it would take like 100 hours to beat it just ferrying the same poo poo back and forth over and over. Wisconsin is a bit better and I actually beat that one 100%, you get two good trucks from it too, like that twinsteer looking thing with 3 cargo slots.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Unfortunately it's a three part mission so material delivery is included. I haven't played with many trailers yet, mostly the small sideboard only and then the brief move with the large fuel tanker requiring the saddle and have had literally no issues with trailers. The main issue has been this one particular one that seems to magically hit invisible barriers constantly.

Also, the manual loading with a crane seems neat but the fact that it resets every single time I spawn new feigh on a dock means I no longer bother with it. Am I missing something or is it really that bad?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, the manual loading with a crane seems neat but the fact that it resets every single time I spawn new feigh on a dock means I no longer bother with it. Am I missing something or is it really that bad?

It does that because some very odd poo poo happens if things spawn in the crane's space.

I always carry the light crane. It adds a bit of challenge and is useful for more than picking up cargo. I use it as a counter weight and a crutch. Sometimes you can even pop the crane out to flip the truck if it's right on the edge of stalling, although only to one side. The game is all about abusing the equipment. They don't even charge you for repairs!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I hate getting stuck like that. I had a trailer impossibly stuck on an invisible stump, nothing was working until I started taking runs at it at speed until it knocked loose. Had to repair the truck a few times but blasting the trailer felt good :getin:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah I'm never not going to have the crane for casual usage or spills, but it would have been nice to go full crane idiot and use it for loading 100% or let me spawn multiple items on a dock. As is it's a very mild disappointment and frustration so I just skip it.

Tried using the light crane when that trailer was on its side to right it and basically tipped my truck a lot faster than I would have thought.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't give any shits about trucks or cars in general (though engineering stuff like cranes and heavy construction is cool, I guess), I prefer fast games, I don't like exploring and getting lost, and the entire premise of this game is that it's really lovely to actually travel in & you easily get stuck so bad you have to repeat the trip one way or another

so why am i enjoying this so much :psypop:

Wish someone had magically told me to get the Tayga soon as I started, though. I regret wasting my time with that garbage arse GMC (e: Fleetstar, misremembered) the game starts you with. (the pickup's OK though)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 9, 2021

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Other than maybe having a second truck to assist in un-stucking the truck that somehow flipped itself upside down I definitely wasn't involved with this stop looking at me, is there any reason to keep the Keestar (or whatever it's called) after I have enough to buy the Paystar?

The latter seems like it's almost better in every way, especially if I can find some offroad tires for the drat thing.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

You can buy and sell stuff with no cost penalty so if isn’t currently useful just sell it.

Just make sure you manually sell any unfitted parts as it won’t sell those automatically.

But I think the Fleetstar is a decent truck with the right upgrades. I never got on with they Paystar, kept tipping it!

I’ve just started playing again, and I’m really liking the console mods. Some of the trucks are a bit too good, but that’s fine with me. Mostly it just makes the game less frustrating. I already 100%ed it once without mods, although that was before Lake Covid was released.

There is a crew cab (GM knockoff I think) and Unimog scout which are great, and I’m currently really liking some electric trucks which are very OP but perfect for getting boring repeat jobs out the way. There is also a handy 10 wheel Azov.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I keep the fleetstar its a decent truck with upgrades unlocked. The paystar on the other hand is not much good after you get decent trucks and upgrades, I got rid of it

e: Don't hesitate to sell trucks though you can always buy them back at the same price

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The takeaway here is you should be ready to exchange and reexchange trucks depending on what you have unlocked for a given set of trucks. The Paystar is really good because of early dirt tires but is quickly outclassed by anything that doesn't fall over.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I know for me at least that when I first played the game, it seemed *so* hard to get up and running. Everything seemed so tough and daunting from the get-go. My second pass at the game (and when I got super into it), I paid more attention to the advice to sell unused vehicles and trailers to shore up the bank account a bit, and to explore different vehicles.

A related aspect is that I also paid more attention to upgrades. The right upgrades can be outright transformative. The truck that seemed like it could barely drive over a puddle is suddenly beasting the map because you found an AWD mod and better tyres.

I think I'll check out the hardcore mode. I don't remotely think it'll be the way I want to play (I'm quite happy with the balance of things under 'normal mode'), but I'm super-curious about what impact all the additional constraints make to the early game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Been reading through the thread while bored on a trip. A couple times I saw people alluding to a kinda-sorta 'intended' path of progression in the game - anyone want to be a bit more explicit about that? I'm only at rank 4, been in Michigan the whole time except for a brief (and somewhat frustrating but ultimately productive) foray to Russia for the overpowered-seeming Tayga

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

Been reading through the thread while bored on a trip. A couple times I saw people alluding to a kinda-sorta 'intended' path of progression in the game - anyone want to be a bit more explicit about that? I'm only at rank 4, been in Michigan the whole time except for a brief (and somewhat frustrating but ultimately productive) foray to Russia for the overpowered-seeming Tayga

Gonna +1 this; I tried jumping back after a good long while without playing and I just kinda overwhelmed at how unassailable everything felt. I did a bunch of stuff around Black River, got invited to Alaska and bailed because my trucks couldn't handle it, likewise went to Russia for the Tayga (which I actually attempted to tow back to the garage rather than barely repairing it and respawning back to the garage), but stuff in Smithville feels really hard, got to Island Lake with barely any fuel left and there's not even a gas station in that map?

I ended up heading to the trailer shop and abusing the fuel tanker, but how are you supposed to for example, carry logs from smithville to island to repair the bridge? Feels like you could barely make it there, but afterwards ???? you just spawn back to garage? Are you supposed to multitruck your jobs and have a fuel truck following yourself?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I know some folks prefer solo but there's so much more to do in multi. Drive somewhere and run outta fuel, have a buddy help you out. Stuck? buddy. Big object to haul? Buddy.

etc.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I think you've got the right idea. It depends what kind of player you are, it is probably a good idea to do a good chunk of michigan just to level up before moving on to the other maps but some trucks in later maps are not too hard to get and can be useful / give you a good amount of money. My preference is to try and get all the free trucks / upgrades as a priority then go back and do the actual work. No truck in the game is so good that it is game breaking, especially in the later maps. No truck is so bad as to be useless either really. If I was starting over again I would grab the royal bm-17 and free hummer and possibly even the derry 3194 if I can manage from alaska, the tayga and maybe the step 310 from russia (there's a free TUZ 420 in russia too which sell for heaps) fairly early on.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gonna +1 this; I tried jumping back after a good long while without playing and I just kinda overwhelmed at how unassailable everything felt. I did a bunch of stuff around Black River, got invited to Alaska and bailed because my trucks couldn't handle it, likewise went to Russia for the Tayga (which I actually attempted to tow back to the garage rather than barely repairing it and respawning back to the garage), but stuff in Smithville feels really hard, got to Island Lake with barely any fuel left and there's not even a gas station in that map?

I ended up heading to the trailer shop and abusing the fuel tanker, but how are you supposed to for example, carry logs from smithville to island to repair the bridge? Feels like you could barely make it there, but afterwards ???? you just spawn back to garage? Are you supposed to multitruck your jobs and have a fuel truck following yourself?

Island lake you definitely should treat the trailer store as a garage, but bear in mind too that there are a number of fuel trailers scattered there to use (and eventually sell for $$$). It's not a bad idea to take a truck in tow with a fuel attachment for long trips, and if you tip over you have a truck already there to help. Generally prefer trucks with attachments over trailers as you don't have the extra trailer cleanup to do when you're all finished. Just bear in mind as well some attachments won't let you hook up a trailer later. Some of the scout trucks are really good service vehicles too, not sure when they unlock but some of the newer ones can attach full size trailers (useful at the trailer store) plus have all sorts of fuel and repair addons attached.
One more thing about respawning after a delivery, I am really bad at recovering too much. I think it's more efficient overall to just send more trucks until you run out when you are working on an area. Can't have too many trucks in the area

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Elendil004 posted:

I know some folks prefer solo but there's so much more to do in multi. Drive somewhere and run outta fuel, have a buddy help you out. Stuck? buddy. Big object to haul? Buddy.

etc.

Isn't co-op a buggy mess though?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oldstench posted:

Isn't co-op a buggy mess though?

No not really, we've had a few instances of a load disappearing or something but it's been probably high 90s stable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How does the co-op work mechanically anyway? IP addresses, random matchmaking, friends-only, ???

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there any way to disable auto-reverse when holding break? Even if it's an ini or hex edit or mod?

Sometimes I just want to slow down or stop and not loving reverse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there any way to disable auto-reverse when holding break? Even if it's an ini or hex edit or mod?

Replace your braking habit with a parking brake habit.

The parking brake is a superior brake. The luxury of digital trucks and cars is you can throw the parking brake whenever you want and not worry about dying or breaking it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The control mapping is a horrible abomination.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It really is astonishing how many little :psyduck:s there are in the UX and controls. (Also astonishing is how much I don't care once I'm playing - usually bad UX makes a game a total non-starter for me.)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I've played enough of the game at this point that I am, by and large, at peace with the UI jank, and the random contract/task switching. But playing as I am on console (XBOX One X), one aspect that is *especially* annoying there versus (presumably) PC is selecting winch points.

I've not played the game on PC, but I've seen clips of the PC version. I take it that, on PC, when you want to winch up, you see all the potential winch-points, and you select, or possibly click-drag, to the one you want?

On console you see all the winch points, and you... switch between them using the d-pad. Which is an absolute ball-ache if you're in a wooded area, thus surrounded by dozens, if not hundreds, of winch points. And you can't see which point was selected by default, so you aren't even sure which d-pad direction to start hammering.

Sometimes all I can do is hit d-pad directions until I glimpse a flash of the selection-change, and thus finally know which is the selected point, and thus where I am now switching *from*.

But there is more...

The *ordering* of winch points as you switch between them isn't always obvious. Just because the winch point you want is, on screen, to the left of the one you currently have selected, that doesn't necessarily mean hitting left on the d-pad will get you closer to it. It's so obnoxious. Flat out the most annoying part of playing the game.

Edit: Also, when you bring up the winch interface, the winch point selected by default might not even be on-screen. *Such* a pain in the neck. Just about anything else would be an improvement. Like, let me click-in the right-stick to activate an on-screen cursor. That'd literally be an improvement!

magimix fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 11, 2021

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any way to clean up cargo and trailers? Some rear end in a top hat who definitely wasn't me tipped over in their new Paystar and spilled some cargo into a pretty bad spot and I'd like to just magically delete it off the map. Same when several of the trailers this person who wasn't me used for jobs and then had to abandon at that site without selling it due to reasons.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ciaphas posted:

How does the co-op work mechanically anyway? IP addresses, random matchmaking, friends-only, ???

I think you can direct connect but I just add people to epic friends list and go from there it's pretty seamless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mm, so no sort of, idk, seamless drop-in/out with randos for the chronically friendless?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Maybe, I've never tried it, but you have friends here.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Switch to low and you won't reverse

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Any way to clean up cargo and trailers?

I think there is a way now to delete a trailer if you can manage to hitch it to a truck. Otherwise you can probably save edit if you are on PC. Think of it like a fun DLC mission that you created yourself though!

magimix posted:

I've played enough of the game at this point that I am, by and large, at peace with the UI jank, and the random contract/task switching. But playing as I am on console (XBOX One X), one aspect that is *especially* annoying there versus (presumably) PC is selecting winch points.

I've not played the game on PC, but I've seen clips of the PC version. I take it that, on PC, when you want to winch up, you see all the potential winch-points, and you select, or possibly click-drag, to the one you want?

On console you see all the winch points, and you... switch between them using the d-pad. Which is an absolute ball-ache if you're in a wooded area, thus surrounded by dozens, if not hundreds, of winch points. And you can't see which point was selected by default, so you aren't even sure which d-pad direction to start hammering.

Sometimes all I can do is hit d-pad directions until I glimpse a flash of the selection-change, and thus finally know which is the selected point, and thus where I am now switching *from*.

But there is more...

The *ordering* of winch points as you switch between them isn't always obvious. Just because the winch point you want is, on screen, to the left of the one you currently have selected, that doesn't necessarily mean hitting left on the d-pad will get you closer to it. It's so obnoxious. Flat out the most annoying part of playing the game.

Edit: Also, when you bring up the winch interface, the winch point selected by default might not even be on-screen. *Such* a pain in the neck. Just about anything else would be an improvement. Like, let me click-in the right-stick to activate an on-screen cursor. That'd literally be an improvement!
I play with a controller on PC so I get to experience this too :smugdog: At least I can click drag as you say if I get too pissed off though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

... oh my god is there really no chat in this game on pc :stare: