Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-county/w-mi-invention-could-eliminate-bottle-return-trips/

Do you hate those homeless people stealing your valuable soda cans before garbage day? Do you hate the indignity of dragging yourself to the recycling center to claim the deposit yourself? Well now you can have it both ways!

Imagine leasing your own can recycling machine! For five dollars a month, you can crunch cans for cash grocery store credit, using your own electricity! Then all you have to do is leave the aluminum brick in your regular recycling bin. Or just throw it in the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

So Math posted:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-county/w-mi-invention-could-eliminate-bottle-return-trips/

Do you hate those homeless people stealing your valuable soda cans before garbage day? Do you hate the indignity of dragging yourself to the recycling center to claim the deposit yourself? Well now you can have it both ways!

Imagine leasing your own can recycling machine! For five dollars a month, you can crunch cans for cash grocery store credit, using your own electricity! Then all you have to do is leave the aluminum brick in your regular recycling bin. Or just throw it in the garbage.

won't a guy in a pickup truck just steal the aluminum cubes and drive them to the recycling place? aluminum is worth money you dont need a special machine to get people to recycle it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

aluminum is like .60 at recyclers right now they would break into your garage for it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rutibex posted:

won't a guy in a pickup truck just steal the aluminum cubes and drive them to the recycling place? aluminum is worth money you dont need a special machine to get people to recycle it

do other cities not have a recycling program? we have a separate can for that kind of stuff and the city picks it up and takes it to a recycling plant for you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

do other cities not have a recycling program? we have a separate can for that kind of stuff and the city picks it up and takes it to a recycling plant for you

nope here all we have is a generic "blue box" where everything gets throw in. on recycling day a guy with a pickup truck (not from the city :v:) drives around and picks up any metal and presumably sells it for scrap money

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Also this is in Canada, so the laws are different, but I'm pretty sure US law has stated, more or less: "If you put it in the trash or recycling and out on the curb to be picked up, you are de-facto no longer the owner for the purpose of claiming theft and if some random person wants your cans, you can't stop them."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

George RR Fartin posted:

Also this is in Canada, so the laws are different, but I'm pretty sure US law has stated, more or less: "If you put it in the trash or recycling and out on the curb to be picked up, you are de-facto no longer the owner for the purpose of claiming theft and if some random person wants your cans, you can't stop them."

Here in Victoria, BC they want us to narc on anyone 'stealing' from the recycling bin, because those cans belong to the city once they are on the curb. The valuable recyclables subsides the cost of recycling the worthless recyclables, so if the valuables are stolen then the cost of the program increases and YOUR TAXES will go up. :bahgawd:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Nastier Nate posted:

I mean yes, but actually no.

Recycling is a failed concept and is actually making things worse. "Recycling" just meant we shipped our recyclables to China or some other poor country, and it became their problem. Now almost no other countries will take on another's recyclables, so poo poo just piles up at recycling centers until they're usually forced to just put it in the trash anyway.

But people just keep putting more and more in the recycling bin because they think they're doing good. Wasteful consumerism actually went up when recycling became a major thing, as people thought waste didn't much matter anymore, because they could just "recycle".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean yes, but actually no.

Recycling is a failed concept and is actually making things worse. "Recycling" just meant we shipped our recyclables to China or some other poor country, and it became their problem. Now almost no other countries will take on another's recyclables, so poo poo just piles up at recycling centers until they're usually forced to just put it in the trash anyway.

But people just keep putting more and more in the recycling bin because they think they're doing good. Wasteful consumerism actually went up when recycling became a major thing, as people thought waste didn't much matter anymore, because they could just "recycle".

We basically need to ban single-use fossil-fuel-based plastics. But good luck with that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

We basically need to ban single-use fossil-fuel-based plastics. But good luck with that.

or just regulate and make items actually recyclable or compostable instead of bullshit where you’re supposed to cut the plastic spigot out of the oj container or “compostable” meaning you can compost it in Berkeley, LA, and NYC but everywhere else it’s just land filled because they don’t have the right composting machine

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

industrial baled cardboard is the only material that is actually recycled in most of the country. everything else is a lie.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

more falafel please posted:

industrial baled cardboard is the only material that is actually recycled in most of the country. everything else is a lie.

aluminum cans are the most recycled item

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I used to be a shithead libertarian (now I'm just a shithead) and I remember in college getting into a big fight with my friends who were adamant recyclers after I told them it just gets put in the landfill and it's totally a performative task.

it was like literally the only time one of my dumb hardline contrarian stances actually held up to scrutiny.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i work at an electronics assembler and at one point after the China stopped accepting recyclables from abroad the only thing the local recycler was accepting from us was aluminum soda cans. they wouldn’t take the cardboard or any of the packaging anymore. basically went from some massive percent of waste recycled to zero overnight

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

stellers bae posted:

p sure I read that even cans are being rejected now but I'm not about to go digging for it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

stellers bae posted:

I recycle these 2 things vigorously. I still put plastic in the recycling bin as a habit but I know It’s a lie.

The city actually makes a fair amount of money collecting paper and cardboard and selling it to whatever the gently caress the recycled cardboard companies do with it. They must be rolling in cardboard because of the like 500% jump in Amazon boxes from Covid

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waste-to-energy plants are the future. Recycle the valuable poo poo. Everything else become fuel. Landfills take longer to fill up because the waste is compacted. Every large city can have their own waste-to-energy generator so we don't waste valuable irreplaceable fuel shipping garbage long distances.

Yeah, there is a little air pollution associated with even the best waste-to-energy plants. But as long as any part of our electrical grid is based on burning hydrocarbons burning waste isn't making things worse. Replacing a tiny amount of coal/oil/gas plants with garbage plants is neutral at worst.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Facebook Aunt posted:

Waste-to-energy plants are the future. Recycle the valuable poo poo. Everything else become fuel. Landfills take longer to fill up because the waste is compacted. Every large city can have their own waste-to-energy generator so we don't waste valuable irreplaceable fuel shipping garbage long distances.

Yeah, there is a little air pollution associated with even the best waste-to-energy plants. But as long as any part of our electrical grid is based on burning hydrocarbons burning waste isn't making things worse. Replacing a tiny amount of coal/oil/gas plants with garbage plants is neutral at worst.

In sim city the waste to energy plant was always the biggest polluter

Turns out burning old clothes and diapers is bad for the environment too

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

No just bury everything that can't be recycled, we have infinite land in the US. Nuclear for the energy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Nastier Nate posted:

Yes, all waste is bad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stellers bae posted:

No just bury everything that can't be recycled, we have infinite land in the US. Nuclear for the energy.

I kinda like that idea too. If the future wants those resources back they can mine the ancient garbage dumps. It's all anaerobic, very little rot under the surface. You can find decades old newspapers in near mint condition down there.

There isn't infinite land close to large population centers though. Garbage shouldn't have to commute hours away on surface streets.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

https://youtu.be/NIMcStAwJ7Y

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

George RR Fartin posted:

Based on my expertise of watching Better Call Saul I think whether or not you bother to lock the bins has something to do with it.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

I kinda like that idea too. If the future wants those resources back they can mine the ancient garbage dumps. It's all anaerobic, very little rot under the surface. You can find decades old newspapers in near mint condition down there.

There isn't infinite land close to large population centers though. Garbage shouldn't have to commute hours away on surface streets.

we used to ship this poo poo to fuckin' china, there is plenty of land out there within a few hours of the city. and it can be collected at transfer stations in the meantime

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cardboard is just asking to be composted, don't give it away

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stellers bae posted:

:cheers:
future archaeologists thank you

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:cheers:
future archaeologists thank you

bold of you to assume the cockroach civilization will care about archaeology

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ehh it's slightly more complicated than that. At a minimum there are very significant differences between different materials. Lead gets recycled at very high rates, paper and paper products have been over 60% since 2010, while plastics languish under 10%. Composting, aka recycling with microorganisms, means that recycling on biological components is also pretty high.

Here's the EPA overview:

https://www.epa.gov/facts-and-figures-about-materials-waste-and-recycling/national-overview-facts-and-figures-materials

e: Not in that factsheet but it was what I was initially looking for - rarer metals tend to get really good recycling rates because it is much easier for everyone if you recover your palladium or hafnium than trying to find more of it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Why would they refuse to recycle aluminum cans, the energy use difference between remelting scrap aluminum and making it from scratch is absolutely staggering

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

As long as it's a modern supercritical incinerator and not just pouring gasoline on top of a pile and tossing a match, burning garbage is probably the safest and least polluting way to get rid of it. Burying the dirty diapers in a landfill doesn't make them go away it makes them degrade and leech into the groundwater and soil, a supercritical incinerator converts them to CO2 and some inert ash. A tiny increase in greenhouse emissions (that's probably breaking roughly even with the same amount of power capacity from other traditional sources) is by far the lesser evil compared to all the plastic going into the drinking water.

We're never gonna do it obviously, that would require planning ahead and making some serious modern capital investments in the public good, but in a hypothetical vacuum we should.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

There was an Adam Ruins Everything episode that covered recycling, and we already had a pretty good thing going with glass bottle recycling, but for whatever stupid goddamned reason, plastic took over for bottles and such (and yes I know that reason is $$$$). Glass recycling is basically perfect.

Do not ruin this with further facts if I am wrong, TIA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

George RR Fartin posted:

There was an Adam Ruins Everything episode that covered recycling, and we already had a pretty good thing going with glass bottle recycling, but for whatever stupid goddamned reason, plastic took over for bottles and such (and yes I know that reason is $$$$). Glass recycling is basically perfect.

we still use this system for beer bottles. the government could reduce plastic waste a huge amount by making glass soda bottles mandatory. it would also be retro and cool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

we still use this system for beer bottles. the government could reduce plastic waste a huge amount by making glass soda bottles mandatory. it would also be retro and cool

“ A 500mL glass bottle weighs about 400g, but a comparable 500mL PET bottle weighs about 10g. While that might add up to a little annoyance for the consumer, that 40 to 1 weight ratio is a very big problem for manufacturers and distributors”

It might be a good idea to calculate the additional fuel expenditure for increased weight and more packaging to account for breakage, idk. The CO2 impact might not be so favorable (other damages caused by plastic notwithstanding)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

“ A 500mL glass bottle weighs about 400g, but a comparable 500mL PET bottle weighs about 10g. While that might add up to a little annoyance for the consumer, that 40 to 1 weight ratio is a very big problem for manufacturers and distributors”

It might be a good idea to calculate the additional fuel expenditure for increased weight and more packaging to account for breakage, idk. The CO2 impact might not be so favorable (other damages caused by plastic notwithstanding)

glass bottles delivered by electric streetcars powered by ATOMS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

George RR Fartin posted:

It's not wrong, but there are problems with glass recycling. Glass is infinitely recyclable, which is good. When you mix clear, brown, green, blue, etc. glass all together the result is murky glass with unreliable physical characteristics. It isn't desirable for glass bottles, especially since fresh glass is so cheap and easy to make. It can be spun into fiberglass and whatnot, but it is not in demand for new glass bottles or jars.

If your local recycling program dumps everything into one bin then you get broken shards of glass contaminating the paper, plastic and metal. There was a local company that makes artificial lumber from recycled plastic complaining in the newspaper that the plastic they received was often contaminated with glass shards which was a hazard to their workers and potentially their customers. Nobody wants a park bench made from plastic 2*4s that might have shards of glass poking out of it.

OTOH if your local recycling program has different bins for each thing compliance becomes a problem because people don't want to deal with their house looking like a waste transfer station with 6 different types of garbage can. Homeowners can be threatened with fines if they don't comply, but people in tiny apartments can more easily sneak their recyclables into the trash than set aside space for multiple bins.

Everything is terrible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everything is terrible.

It broke me when I moved to Kansas to find that where we moved to did not have a recycling program. I feel like more places do not than do in the US.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

making infrastructure choices that will last for 30+ years need to be based on just comparisons to the status quo but also the future realities we know we must face.

we have to end fossil fuel use completely and so we need to consider our infrastructure choices in that light.

e.g. it might not be worth building a fancy plastics recycling plant, if the drop in fossil fuel usage plus emissions penalties mean that in the future we want to be making far less disposable plastics.

even just delaying some of these investment choices can reap emissions benefits, like the weight concerns with glass bottles created emissions concerns because of fossil fuel usage for transportation. but after fossil fuel usage for transportation is ended it becomes only a cost/energy concern.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

but people in tiny apartments can more easily sneak their recyclables into the trash than set aside space for multiple bins.

this is the best perk of apartment life. old broken couch? CRT television? moldy carpet? just toss it in the dumpster! its someone elses problem now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
download your gay wallet dot com