Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Mads are tonight with the T-Bird Gang and a Q&A with Mike. I imagine there will be some kind of talk about the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

The Mads are tonight with the T-Bird Gang and a Q&A with Mike. I imagine there will be some kind of talk about the kickstarter.

I really hope not. It was awkward when people brought it up last show and I’d hope people would have the good sense not to bring it up again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I mean story continuity, inasmuch as there is any. like, in story terms, Emily going to have to be introduced somehow... I hope they at least do that in the first episode. I don't think they'd start with her at the jump, even though I'd love to see that.

I hope it's going to be Bill and Josh with Joel again, too.

I think they can just kind of have Kinga check in on how her "multiple test subjects at once" experiment is going, have Tom have an existential crisis about there being multiple of him and have some drinks with the Tom Servo choir to deal with it, whatever. I'd bet they start with Jonah first with maybe an Emily cameo to introduce the concept, but there's a lot of ways to make it work that they can introduce in five minutes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I think they can just kind of have Kinga check in on how her "multiple test subjects at once" experiment is going, have Tom have an existential crisis about there being multiple of him and have some drinks with the Tom Servo choir to deal with it, whatever. I'd bet they start with Jonah first with maybe an Emily cameo to introduce the concept, but there's a lot of ways to make it work that they can introduce in five minutes.

You could also have Kinga just acting like nothing's changed and dealing with Emily only for Max to be all confused and then Kinga smacks him and is all "Dummy, I'm setting up a mystery to drive engagement, I've got a whole ARG planned!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nemo2342 posted:

I really hope not. It was awkward when people brought it up last show and I’d hope people would have the good sense not to bring it up again.
I felt the same way, especially with how Trace reacted, but considering Rifftrax is supporting it by providing some bonus material for backers, I think it's a given it will come up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nemo2342 posted:

I didn't see the last show but Trace and Frank said they wouldn't be involved on Twitter and have not done anything to promote the Kickstarter there either. I noticed right after they answered someone asking that they'd have nothing to do with the revival they immediately answered another question saying they'd work with Rifftrax the minute that conditions allow them to do so. So I guess there's some kind of bad blood there but who knows over what at this point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine a concert from the greatest hits of MST3K's greatest songs!

Start things off slow with the 'I Sing Whenever I Sing Whenever I Sing,' pick it up with a peppy 'Are You Happy In Your Work,' ramp it up with 'Yipe Stripes,' keep it going with 'Idiot Control Now,' slow it down just a bit with 'California Ladeeeeeee' and finish strong with 'Kiss Kicker.'

Throw in some RiffTrax jams like "Mercenary Man" and "We Live to Rock."

But for real, I want to see someone cover the "You Better Run" end credits song from Final Justice, but replace the lyrics with the Tom/Crow lines when applicable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

You could also have Kinga just acting like nothing's changed and dealing with Emily only for Max to be all confused and then Kinga smacks him and is all "Dummy, I'm setting up a mystery to drive engagement, I've got a whole ARG planned!"

lol yeah. Kinga's version of being a mad scientist being ratings driven without an iota of understanding what ratings even are is a good running bit to sort of cut through exposition quickly.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

X-O posted:

I didn't see the last show but Trace and Frank said they wouldn't be involved on Twitter and have not done anything to promote the Kickstarter there either. I noticed right after they answered someone asking that they'd have nothing to do with the revival they immediately answered another question saying they'd work with Rifftrax the minute that conditions allow them to do so. So I guess there's some kind of bad blood there but who knows over what at this point.

None of the old crew seemed to know about the first kickstarter until it went live, and that would be enough for me to continue being bitter about it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Breadallelogram posted:

None of the old crew seemed to know about the first kickstarter until it went live, and that would be enough for me to continue being bitter about it

I remember Mike being asked about any involvement with the first fundraising drive and him responding, very tersely, with something along the lines of "I have not made a single penny from MST3K since the show ended" and refusing to comment more on the subject. There is definitely something that happened behind the scenes, we just don't know what (and, to be fair, it's really none of our business).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not worried about it. You can't blame folks for asking about it because Rifftrax helped out with the Kickstarter and it seems like there might be some Rifftrax on the Gizmoplex, so like, of course they're gonna ask Mike. Hopefully Joel throws some money at the cast whenever he sells something that has them in it and if Trace and Frank want to do their own thing, more power to them. I like what Joel is doing, but it's definitely a Choice, and not everyone involved with the show has to make that choice, it might just not be what they want.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No it definitely not anyone's business at all. It just sucks that whatever happened is keeping them from working together on stuff. We'll all just have to cherish that one MST3K Reunion Rifftrax since that might be the only thing they ever all pop up on.

Didn't Trace or Frank one say the first time they ever got any share of payment for MST3K stuff was when it was sold through the digital sales on Rifftrax.com?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If I had to guess I would say that Joel's offer was more on the line of participating but not having any real say in how things go. Which wouldn't be appealing to Mike or Trace and Frank since they run their own projects.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it sounded as though Trace really wanted a job on the new show. or creative involvement or some kind? he mentioned something about wanting a gig in the last Q&A. Josh and Mary Jo and Bill are all on staff again, so I don't know.

Rifftrax did some promotional stuff for the Kickstarter and they sell MST3K stuff now, so I think maybe they patched up things some. I imagine a lot of the rancor came from Mallon being an rear end in a top hat, since he's the only one I've heard being openly criticized by anybody (though most of them are Midwesterners, so)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Did they ever confirm Bill was actually writing or acting on the show? I don't think they did. Just that Rifftrax was going to do a live thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

Didn't Trace or Frank one say the first time they ever got any share of payment for MST3K stuff was when it was sold through the digital sales on Rifftrax.com?

Trace basically doesn't answer any questions about MST3K, he seems to have had a very bitter parting with the show. It was Frank who said that he got a massive check for back royalties after Shout! bought the rights and Rifftrax started selling stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah and Mike has said the main reason he hasn't collaborated outside of Rifftrax is that he has a condition that makes flying physically painful for him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

I'd say so except Joel said it's probably the first episode of this season, which I'd want to be Emily honestly.

Has Emily done a Kaiju movie yet, cause if not then I agree she should do it, cause every host should do at least one Giant Monster Movie during their tenure

fsif posted:

I think they were referring to it as the third movie revealed (they've already announced two others). Pretty sure Joel mentioned it was a likely candidate to be the "premiere" episode, though.

What were the other two I forget and am too lazy to look it up

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah and Mike has said the main reason he hasn't collaborated outside of Rifftrax is that he has a condition that makes flying physically painful for him.

He stopped going to San Francisco for the Rifftrax performances at Sketchfest for this reason. And between Rifftrax and his two regular podcasts he probably just doesn't have time to make a meaningful contribution to anything else.

In one of those "oral history of MST3K" articles Trace mentioned he was disappointed that Best Brains never expanded to doing more than just MST3K since they had a studio and everything. It may not even a bitterness thing as much as he just kinda doesn't want to do that sort of thing anymore.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

drrockso20 posted:

What were the other two I forget and am too lazy to look it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdboSdyC6O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f1GIqHnKo4

ixnay fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gavok posted:

Throw in some RiffTrax jams like "Mercenary Man" and "We Live to Rock."

But for real, I want to see someone cover the "You Better Run" end credits song from Final Justice, but replace the lyrics with the Tom/Crow lines when applicable.

Oh if we're talking songs from rifftrax/mst3k movies--I legit love the theme from Zaat/Blood Waters of Dr Z. It's just some weird folky rock music summarizing the plot of the movie and it's great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Oh yeah now I remember, shame they couldn't have gotten Robot Jox instead though, also them doing films done in HD will never not feel weird

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm dreading Demon Squad. I can't imagine it'll be good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In one of those "oral history of MST3K" articles Trace mentioned he was disappointed that Best Brains never expanded to doing more than just MST3K since they had a studio and everything. It may not even a bitterness thing as much as he just kinda doesn't want to do that sort of thing anymore.

I recall him saying, around the time he left, that he had decided it was time to stop putting on a wig and wearing a lab coat and sticking his hand up a robot's rear end. And it just seems like the lines of communication went dry between the parties since then.

Mokinokaro posted:

He has an inner ear issue, as I recall.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine a concert from the greatest hits of MST3K's greatest songs!

Start things off slow with the 'I Sing Whenever I Sing Whenever I Sing,' pick it up with a peppy 'Are You Happy In Your Work,' ramp it up with 'Yipe Stripes,' keep it going with 'Idiot Control Now,' slow it down just a bit with 'California Ladeeeeeee' and finish strong with 'Kiss Kicker.'
Throw in "Shine Your Love" and that place will be lit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wanna know what menial labor job Emily has in her song backstory.

And also how they’re going to shove a three syllable name into the rhythm of lines originally written for a one syllable name. :v:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Timby posted:

Mike also has a permanent, unending, headache.

And his job is to watch deeply unpleasant and dull things all day. And then also read them for a podcast!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

I recall him saying, around the time he left, that he had decided it was time to stop putting on a wig and wearing a lab coat and sticking his hand up a robot's rear end. And it just seems like the lines of communication went dry between the parties since then.

Well they did Cinematic Titanic together for a long while after that. That's why I had always assumed the dissolution of that played a part in it.

Timby posted:

I believe he lives with constant headaches that are made even worse by flying. I seem to remember him writing about them in Movie Megacheese. I feel him kind of on that as when I lost my hearing in my left ear three years ago I've had an unending bout of tinnitus that plagues me to this day and there's nothing that can be done to cure it or even alleviate it at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 12, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Keromaru5 posted:

Throw in "Shine Your Love" and that place will be lit.
I would also add "Bop-a-Dop-a-Da-Da."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all of these songs will be on the track list but when you actually queue up the album it's all the manos loop

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hopeandjoy posted:

I wanna know what menial labor job Emily has in her song backstory.

And also how they’re going to shove a three syllable name into the rhythm of lines originally written for a one syllable name. :v:
"Now keep in mind she can't control when the movies begin or end" with Emily on the screen oughta do it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Going back to the conversation about Trace, Frank, and the revival series, the coffee table book that they produced for the first Kickstarter has some very early script pages and storyboards for the opening of season 11 that include Forrester and Frank. The book doesn’t go into any detail about what happened, but at least at some point in development Joel thought they’d be back.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Clouseau posted:

And his job is to watch deeply unpleasant and dull things all day. And then also read them for a podcast!

Misreading the URL as tumor really got me scared for a couple seconds. :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Timby posted:

Neurological actually. Mike has had a migraine since his 20s of varying intensity and at this point it seems like the only test left would be like exploratory surgery as his neurologist has put him through everything else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were showing trailers before the start of the latest Mads livestream and one that actually looked kind of interesting was "The Earth Dies Screaming" has anyone heard of this one?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i would absolutely go in on an mst3k song cover collab with a bunch of goons

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trace telling a story about how someone sent in a threatening letter to the MST3K PO Box that they turned over to the cops.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Trace telling a story about how someone sent in a threatening letter to the MST3K PO Box that they turned over to the cops.

what movie did they direct?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh no, Coleman Francis is in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Clouseau posted:

Dang paywall.