Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proud Christian Mom posted:

according to really smart people in the trucking industry its all because insurance rates are too high because of ambulance chasers so as soon as states start cracking down on the ability to sue companies for injuries they'll be paying truckers more

If that was the case, every trucking company would be lining their rigs with cameras to prove it. It's because they pay their drivers poo poo and run them ragged on hosed up scheduling, so they might have 10-14 hours a day "off" but it'll be broken into weird blocks to fit your pick up and delivery windows.

The good old days, people would run two sets of logs so if they got pulled over, they could hand out the one that has them with legal time left, while stuffing the other somewhere they can only hope the cop or DOT won't look. They had to run two books because they couldn't make enough running one. Trucking has always paid poo poo.

gently caress everything about the trucking industry as it is today, even yesterday. Pay the drivers, and they will deliver your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have a “labor” shortage it’s probably because you actually have a “wage” shortage and a “capitalism” surplus.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress everything about the trucking industry as it is today, even yesterday. Pay the drivers, and they will deliver your poo poo.

Well, soon enough there's won't be any trucks for drivers to drive. Gotta automate everything.

I got into an argument with an uncle about delivery, and how I don't believe that same day delivery should exist, and that the expectations of delivery speed are a real negative on society. The real solution is to just not order stuff. If it's an item that's already being sold in a store locally, go buy it there, don't make them send one special just for you to your door just so you can save a trip and maybe a couple of dollars.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Uber and Lyft are offering free rides for covid vaccinations until July 4.

Channeling my inner chud to say I HAD TO PAY FOR MY LYFT TO GET MY VACCINATION ARE THEY GONNA GIVE ME A REFUND?!???

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
whoopsie doopsie cancel culture got cancelled

https://twitter.com/HayesGardner/status/1392133516847206402

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He already planted the cancel culture seed which got way more coverage than his admission probably will and once again the world falls for the exact same trick the GOP loves to play.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A Bad Poster posted:

Well, soon enough there's won't be any trucks for drivers to drive. Gotta automate everything.

Why spend on automation when you can offload the capital and maintenance cost to an owner operator and pay them by the mile?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
industries with labor shortages should improve wages and other compensation instead of crying about how nobody wants their lovely job

death to suits

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't even deal with this poo poo.

Mentioned to a family member that the local shortages were most likely due to panic buying, hoarding, inbred fucks and the response was well the real reason is that 45% of gas is getting taken from elsewhere to go up to the north to take care of joe's yankee friends. we're playing right into his hands

An actual thing that was said and believed wholeheartedly.

I hate the loving south so god drat much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Thank god we replaced the Volvo with a TDI, we're both good on fuel and the diesels don't consume much.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can see three gas stations from my backyard and I'm just gonna be sitting out there with a bag of popcorn and a smug aura all afternoon watching the meltdowns

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't even deal with this poo poo.

Mentioned to a family member that the local shortages were most likely due to panic buying, hoarding, inbred fucks and the response was well the real reason is that 45% of gas is getting taken from elsewhere to go up to the north to take care of joe's yankee friends. we're playing right into his hands

An actual thing that was said and believed wholeheartedly.

I hate the loving south so god drat much

The Army sending me to WA was the best thing that ever happened to me and opened my eyes to how much better life in blue states is.

The South is a cesspit of regressive hicks, I'd recommend to anyone that they escape as soon as they can.

I helped friends and family move during the pandemic and got to see how the majority of the South handled it and it was loving shameful.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

If you have a “labor” shortage it’s probably because you actually have a “wage” shortage and a “capitalism” surplus.

Yay the market when the hand is good; must be anything but the market when things are bad.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

The Army sending me to WA was the best thing that ever happened to me and opened my eyes to how much better life in blue states is.

The South is a cesspit of regressive hicks, I'd recommend to anyone that they escape as soon as they can.

I helped friends and family move during the pandemic and got to see how the majority of the South handled it and it was loving shameful.

Oh yeah I have an uncle who was in the Air Force in the 60s. One of his fellow officers was black and from Alabama and they met while stationed somewhere up north. The officer was informed he was being transferred to a base in the Deep South, and his reply after growing up in that culture was "no I'm not." Fortunately he was able to get it figured out so he was able to remain at a preferable location.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Mustang posted:

I grew up in Texas and for all its faults it feels like home to me. I moved up to a blue state for work, and now there's just no way I'd raise my kids back south - the difference between a functioning government and a non-functioning government is like night and day, and even though I don't feel much connected to the culture up here I can't justify the cruelty and neglect that I always thought was normal in Texas govenrment. And poo poo, that's before you consider that one of my kids has got developmental delays and even though my state's not great on special ed it's a thousand times better than the poo poo system in TX

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I particularly like how texas traps teachers, making sure they give no fucks because its a poo poo system but they can't leave. They pay into a special teachers retirement plan instead of social security. this retirement is non-transferable and you can't collect from both it and social security without violating double dipping laws.

A decent retirement is about all teaching has going for it, and TEA does their best to hold that hostage to keep the teachers compliant

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You can always split the difference and come help make Virgina the one blue southern state.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If that was the case, every trucking company would be lining their rigs with cameras to prove it. It's because they pay their drivers poo poo and run them ragged on hosed up scheduling, so they might have 10-14 hours a day "off" but it'll be broken into weird blocks to fit your pick up and delivery windows.

The good old days, people would run two sets of logs so if they got pulled over, they could hand out the one that has them with legal time left, while stuffing the other somewhere they can only hope the cop or DOT won't look. They had to run two books because they couldn't make enough running one. Trucking has always paid poo poo.

Most decent sized trucking lines do have cameras, qualcom connectivity, and Lytx to monitor speed, braking, follow distance, etc.

A bog standard OTR vans driver can pull in 80k a year right now and have every other weekend home. Driver pay has gone up something like 27% over the last 18 months and there are no signs of it decreasing.

I’d say there is a 10-15 year window where labor has the market by the balls. After that automation and self driving trucks will probably take over.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Still not tired of these, bonus points that it was Baked Alaska's livestream that tipped off the Feds.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1392167496849965059?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In response to the rocket strike, IDF blew up an apartment block.....its bad...

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1392172687624126468?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus Christ

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Here's my current event:
I just got a letter from President Biden, touting the $1400 stimulus and the American Rescue Plan while it noted that the 1400 plus the $600 in December equals promise kept, $2000 check.

I am irrationally angry that Biden has copied Trump and sent his own letter to say "look we're helping." Ingrained propaganda to sell policy to Americans is just the sort of dumbing down of civic discourse. I can't stand that this is what's used to justify half assed aid during some of the worst crisis in my lifetime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

This video allowed me to explain to a friend that Israel is not good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stackofflapjacks posted:

I am irrationally angry that Biden has copied Trump and sent his own letter to say "look we're helping." Ingrained propaganda to sell policy to Americans is just the sort of dumbing down of civic discourse. I can't stand that this is what's used to justify half assed aid during some of the worst crisis in my lifetime.

The alternative is the Obama people not sending *anything* out during the ARRA days, because apparently people magically would discover the tax cuts / aid came from Democrats. Which then caused the massive Democratic wipeout of 2010 because centlib brain assumes when you do good things and not sell them, you get reelected.

The Trump letters are arguably why Republicans held onto so many of the state/local governments and Congressional seats. You're completely right about the whole thing, but not sending the letters would be unilateral disarmament. Politics is stupid.

Pipeline update:

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1392181850592976915?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, it appears that the Secret Service was horny for Trumps. :barf:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1392174178183286794?s=19

quote:

“I want these fat guys off my detail,” Trump is reported to have said, possibly confusing office-based personnel with active agents. “How are they going to protect me and my family if they can’t run down the street?”

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Also, it appears that the Secret Service was horny for Trumps. :barf:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1392174178183286794?s=19

Would you say she gave one of the SS agents...

.... a raise?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This video allowed me to explain to a friend that Israel is not good.

The gently caress is Israel up to now? The bits I've picked up from the news cycle are 1) ultraOrthodox shitheels tried to hold a rally in Palestinian east Jerusalem during Ramadan, 2) Israel decided to blow up some residential buildings because gently caress you, 3) Israel and Hamas are trading ordinance.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress yeah! Live them Leon Kennedy dreams and bang the president's daughter (failson spouse whatever).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soylent Pudding posted:

The gently caress is Israel up to now? The bits I've picked up from the news cycle are 1) ultraOrthodox shitheels tried to hold a rally in Palestinian east Jerusalem during Ramadan, 2) Israel decided to blow up some residential buildings because gently caress you, 3) Israel and Hamas are trading ordinance.

The kickoff event before what you listed was Jewish settler poo poo, again:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/world/middleeast/evictions-jerusalem-israeli-palestinian-conflict-protest.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/world/middleeast/jerusalem-protests-aqsa-palestinians.html

Arab families moved to the area in the 1950s, the Jewish authorities decided "lol, settlers own your land now", and that set up the tinderbox. Throw in Jewish police near the Aqsa Mosque to provide the light. Kushner/Trump's strategy on the Jerusalem issue was to just ignore the whole thing.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^ Exactly right. Basically almost all of the violence that has occurred in the last two decades can be blamed squarely on Israel's far right and their settlers moving further and further into Palestinian territory. Other people are going to disagree with this and call me an rear end in a top hat, but in my opinion Israel used to have at least a leg to stand on regarding being attacked and under terrorist threat. I used to be a big defender of Israel. I'm not anymore. The last 20 years they've turned into an apartheid state, and they really have no leg to stand on anymore. Netanyahu, hid party, and the far right, and the settlers, are causing all of this.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Bad poo poo going on, both sides bombing one another, Israelis inciting the violence by being shitheels then using the Hamas rockets to justify further escalation.

https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-2021-may-11/

From the Soufan Center:

quote:

Tuesday, May 11, 2021
JERUSALEM ON EDGE AS CLASHES CONTINUE AND SITUATION ESCALATES SHARPLY
Bottom Line Up Front:

Fighting between Israelis and Palestinians continued to escalate, with Hamas militants firing rockets into Israel, and the Israelis launching airstrikes in Gaza.

Protests have grown over the pending expulsion of Palestinian families by Israeli settlers from the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem.

The political situation is fraught, with the Palestinian Authority canceling upcoming elections and Israel in the midst of forming a governing coalition.

Continued escalation will further attenuate the U.S. position in the region, offering opportunities to America’s adversaries to wield political influence.

Violent clashes escalated between Israelis and Palestinians this week in Jerusalem. Israeli police entered the Al Aqsa mosque compound – home to the third holiest site in Islam and on the Temple Mount, sacred to Jews, Christians, and Muslims – on the last few days of the holy month of Ramadan. More than 330 Palestinians were injured in the fighting according to a Palestinian Red Cross representative, while Israel reported injuries to at least 21 police officers. Palestinians threw rocks and set off fireworks and Israeli police fired rubber bullets, tear gas, and stun grenades inside the compound. Protests had recently grown over the pending expulsion of Palestinian families from their homes by Israeli settlers in East Jerusalem, claimed by Israel as part of its capital and by the Palestinians as the capital of a future state. Images from the mosque were being shared widely on social media and the looming eviction has contributed to gathering tensions.

The Palestinian militant group Hamas threatened “a very heavy price” against Israel if the eviction was not reversed and Israeli security forces not withdrawn from the compound. 
In the West Bank, there have been gun battles between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian militants.

Yesterday afternoon and into the evening, Hamas militants fired dozens of rockets into Israeli territory, with one landing just west of Jerusalem, damaging homes but not leading to any casualties. An anti-tank missile was also fired from Gaza into Sderot, injuring a civilian in the area, and more rockets were fired into southern Israel. The Israelis responded by launching airstrikes into Gaza, leaving at least 20 Palestinians dead, including at least nine children, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry. These clashes take place against the backdrop of a global pandemic, reports of limited medical support and vaccinations for Palestinians, and a reduction in development assistance through the UN under the previous U.S. administration. That the conflict has erupted during Ramadan only compounds the intensity, leading to concerns about the prospects of a Third Intifada, or uprising. An oped in the Israeli paper Haaretz commented that Ramadan was not a time for a “show of strength” by the Israeli police, noting the heightened potential for a sharp uptick in violence.

Provocative marches by far-right Israelis to commemorate Israel’s victory in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, also known as the “Six-Day War,” further inflamed tensions, especially when combined with restrictions on Palestinian access to parts of the Old City during Ramadan. The commemoration of this victory is known in Israel as “Jerusalem Day,” and has long served as a flashpoint for violence between Israelis and Palestinians. Some days earlier, far-right Israelis chanted “Death to Arabs” during marches in Jerusalem. The case regarding Palestinians facing eviction in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem has reached Israel’s Supreme Court, and has become the focus of criticism across the Arab world. Due to the ongoing violence, which has been building for weeks, the Israeli Supreme Court delayed deliberations on the potential expulsion of Palestinian families from Sheikh Jarrah by at least thirty days. Protesters and settlers have repeatedly skirmished, leading to numerous injuries and arrests. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCR) recently suggested that the evictions “violate Israel’s obligations under international law.” The current round of fighting is expected to continue, with an Israeli military spokesman noting that Israel is preparing for fighting that could last for several days. 

The political situation for both Palestinians and Israelis is fraught. The Palestinian Authority called off elections which were supposed to take place on May 22. The elections would have been the first in 15 years and could have served to provide momentum to the long-stalled political process in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. The Israeli side is also mired in turmoil, with current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu facing charges of corruption. Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin recently tasked centrist party leader Yair Lapid with building a coalition to form a government. The Biden administration has struggled to respond to the escalating violence, although National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan did raise concerns with his Israeli counterpart, Meir Ben Shabbat, about the situation spiraling out of control. For its part, Israel has suggested that the United States is rewarding Palestinian riots by intervening in an attempt to help quell tensions. Still, Washington can hardly be perceived as an honest broker in the conflict, especially after the Trump administration’s unilateral move to bless Israel’s decision to relocate its capital from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The Israeli government looked to characterize the issue as a mere “real estate dispute” between Israeli settlers and Palestinians. But despite attempts to frame this as a parochial issue, there are far-reaching geopolitical implications. The international community has urged calm. The continued violence puts pressure on those countries that signed on to the Abraham Accords, including the United Arab Emirates. Mohammed bin Zayed (MBZ), the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, has expressed concern over the violence in east Jerusalem. MBZ also highlighted the sanctity of the al-Aqsa mosque in his call to curb the Israeli onslaught. Other world leaders have also added their voices, including German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, who lamented further escalation, and UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, who called for restraint.

On Monday, the Security Council held an emergency session to discuss the violence in East Jerusalem. China, president of the Council for March, was one of the primary authors of a draft statement at the UN Security Council, along with Norway and Tunisia, calling on Israel to “cease settlement activities, demolitions and evictions” in east Jerusalem. The draft goes on to call for restraint and further provocative actions, including “upholding and respecting the historic status quo at holy sites.” A statement from the Middle East Quartet, which includes the United Nations, the European Union, the United States, and Russia, called upon Israeli authorities to “exercise restraint and to avoid measures that would further escalate the situation during this period of Muslim Holy Days.” Continued escalation between the Palestinians and Israelis will further attenuate the U.S. position in the region, and offer opportunities to America’s adversaries, including Beijing and Moscow, to wield increased regional influence. The violence is dominating headlines in the Middle East and broader Muslim world, creating sympathy for the Palestinians and offering an advantage to countries like Iran. 

Not good stuff.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 11, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Current event in NZ:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rumors are that Secret Service hosed some Trumps and cucked Trump Jr.

quote:

In her new book, she writes that Secret Service agents reported that Vanessa Trump, the wife of the president’s oldest son, Donald Trump Jr, “started dating one of the agents who had been assigned to her family”.

Vanessa Trump filed for an uncontested divorce in March 2018. Leonnig reports that the agent concerned did not face disciplinary action as neither he nor the agency were official guardians of Vanessa Trump at that point.

Leonnig also writes that Tiffany Trump, Donald Trump’s daughter with his second wife, Marla Maples, broke up with a boyfriend and “began spending an unusual amount of time alone with a Secret Service agent on her detail”.

Secret Service leaders, the book says, “became concerned at how close Tiffany appeared to be getting to the tall, dark and handsome agent”.

Agents are prohibited from forming personal relationships with those they protect, out of concern that such feelings could cloud their judgment.

Both Tiffany Trump and the agent said nothing untoward was happening, Leonnig writes, and pointed out the nature of the agent’s job meant spending time alone with his charge. The agent was subsequently reassigned.

between these rumors and Trump trying to get overweight Secret Service guys kicked off his detail, these people are like a reality show come to life.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bored As gently caress posted:

^^^^^^ Exactly right. Basically almost all of the violence that has occurred in the last two decades can be blamed squarely on Israel's far right and their settlers moving further and further into Palestinian territory. Other people are going to disagree with this and call me an rear end in a top hat, but in my opinion Israel used to have at least a leg to stand on regarding being attacked and under terrorist threat. I used to be a big defender of Israel. I'm not anymore. The last 20 years they've turned into an apartheid state, and they really have no leg to stand on anymore. Netanyahu, hid party, and the far right, and the settlers, are causing all of this.

Bad poo poo going on, both sides bombing one another, Israelis inciting the violence by being shitheels then using the Hamas rockets to justify further escalation.

From the Soufan Center:

Not good stuff.

That's a good article thanks. And yeah Israels hard sprint to the far right has undermined any shreds of the moral legitimacy they may once have had the ability to claim. Chillul Hashem all around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1391870564575420416?s=20

Jesus, this is :ironicat: but with Apartheid and Genocide

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bored As gently caress posted:

From the Soufan Center:

Not good stuff.

Israel hasn’t had a moral leg to stand on since the Nakba in 1948, and definitely not since since they illegally seized even more land in 1967 that they still haven’t returned. The settlements, occupation of Lebanon, and murdering protestors has just been the final nail in the coffin of their respectability as a nation state.

Everything else is just Israel genociding a community and using the actions taken by that community out of self preservation as further excuses to accelerate the genocide process.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Israel's basically pulling an ex-British-colony speedrun. They're a settler state that exists at the behest of the UK and shares the crown's taste for colonialism and genocide of the locals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What the gently caress room does the overweight front half of a centaur desperate to hide his gunt have to criticise anyone else on their weight?

The "fattest" person on a secret service detail can probably still outrun me when I was at my best and this was almost certainly one more part of Donnie being obsessed with images and demanding everything look like it's out of central casting so he can be king poo poo of tinpot dictator mountain.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean, the detail that covers Donald Trump really only has to move at the speed of Donald Trump

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

bird food bathtub posted:

What the gently caress room does the overweight front half of a centaur desperate to hide his gunt have to criticise anyone else on their weight?

The "fattest" person on a secret service detail can probably still outrun me when I was at my best and this was almost certainly one more part of Donnie being obsessed with images and demanding everything look like it's out of central casting so he can be king poo poo of tinpot dictator mountain.

Some poor SOB out there has to live with being called a fat gently caress by Donald Trump and publicly reassigned for it. It's like the origin story for some Olympic weight lifter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The NRA's One Weird Trick To Stop New York State's Lawsuit didn't work out.

https://twitter.com/bethreinhard/status/1392210048416366600

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1392204142467223553