Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

11$ for a burrito lmao.

lol

if ur gonna overcharge for a burrito it should be really good at least

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Len posted:

The person in the cube across from me left on Friday and I knew her replacement was red

But I just listened to a 10 minute rant about how the government is to blame for staffing issues and they need to stop paying people so much to be unemployed. And I just can't with these people

punch them in the gonads

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

big companies have compliance departments and can be sued if they break labor laws. it’s also much easier to unionize at a big company, and no one feels bad for the big company.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
basically we had compliance to labor laws when we had significant numbers of labor inspectors going around boppin companies in the head

no inspection, no compliance

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The regional manager at Walmart ordered me to climb into an open top dumpster and smash down the scrap metal.

I did not understand my rights in my early 20s

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Len posted:

The regional manager at Walmart ordered me to climb into an open top dumpster and smash down the scrap metal.

I did not understand my rights in my early 20s

I worked at wal mart as a teen and my mom worked there with me. she swallowed the anti-union propaganda super quick and parroted it back to me about how unions have outlived their usefulness due to labor laws that protect people.

goddamn even just repeating it now it sound so goddamn loving stupid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
like I've been off work for a year because of the plague but I still have a job whenever I want to go back and do you know why?

because I'm in a union.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

like I've been off work for a year because of the plague but I still have a job whenever I want to go back and do you know why?

because I'm in a union.

Are you sure the reason isn't because No One Wants To Work Anymore cuz I think that's the real reason bud

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I mean, personally, I fuckin hate "working" in the sense of exchanging my time for dollars in any way so I get it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I mean, personally, I fuckin hate "working" in the sense of exchanging my time for dollars in any way so I get it.

:same:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've got a galaxy brain coworker that doesn't "work" here

She instead "trades her time for money" and doesn't pay taxes

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Len posted:

loving moocher

No idea how much all this poo poo costs

So many loving morons who think, "the government doesn't do anything," or, "the free market doesn't need government."

Sorry, shitheads, all of this requires a fuckton of work and overhead to maintain and you know who does that? The loving state.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

You get paid under the table? Or she just claims 10 and doesn't file?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Is she a sovcit or does she just not know that that's not how taxes work

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Like 24/7 electricty? Thank regulations!

Like how your yard doesn't flood? Thank code enforcement!

When the water comes out when you turn on the tap, it doesn't happen magically. Or when there's gasoline when you turn on the pump.

For the world to function, a thousand things have to go right every minute. That's why we have government, to make sure that these things happen.

So that we can just pay our taxes and live our lives.

And isn't that nice

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like even if you accept the ridiculous premise that its not "income" its sales, you still should be paying sales tax on that poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Like 24/7 electricty? Thank regulations!

Like how your yard doesn't flood? Thank code enforcement!

When the water comes out when you turn on the tap, it doesn't happen magically. Or when there's gasoline when you turn on the pump.

For the world to function, a thousand things have to go right every minute. That's why we have government, to make sure that these things happen.

So that we can just pay our taxes and live our lives.

And isn't that nice

Pretty sure that if you go by what the majority is used for (and exclude entitlements), federal taxes are actually for killing brown people in other countries and state taxes are for killing black people at home.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Pretty sure that if you go by what the majority is used for (and exclude entitlements), federal taxes are actually for killing brown people in other countries and state taxes are for killing black people at home.

And modernity will genocide the whole of mankind via Climate Change, like an evil Chinese Room-style AI.

We're all works-in-progress.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 20:16 on May 11, 2021

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I work a poo poo job that I hate instead of spending more time making things that I enjoy because making things I enjoy doesn't make enough money to have "food" or "shelter". It's a great system that I love and it never makes me want to die

On the other hand working through the entire pandemic, the "hazard pay" (which has ended) and stimulus payments allowed me to save more in the last year than I've managed in the previous 6 years. Now I have a small cushion of savings and have fully entered "gently caress this poo poo" mode at work and do as little as possible, avoid anybody that might tell me to do work, and leave early whenever I feel like it with out asking or notifying anybody. I've been doing this for over a month now and so far nobody seems to have noticed or at least hasn't said anything to me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

You get paid under the table? Or she just claims 10 and doesn't file?

She sent HR something and they no longer take taxes out of her checks because she barters

Shame Boy posted:

Is she a sovcit or does she just not know that that's not how taxes work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

She sent HR something and they no longer take taxes out of her checks because she barters

So yes on both then, fantastic :allears:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Len posted:

I love these people because they think laws can be subverted by waving a magic wand of words

you can't arrest me for drunk driving if I wont admit I'm actually "driving" a "car"

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Stevie Lee posted:

i once got hired and fired by Wendy's in a span of 20 minutes

We've all heard the siren's song of dipping your balls in the frosty machine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

We've all heard the siren's song of dipping your balls in the frosty machine

Homer did you polish your knob in the Shine-O Ball-O?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Homocow posted:

I love these people because they think laws can be subverted by waving a magic wand of words

you can't arrest me for drunk driving if I wont admit I'm actually "driving" a "car"

the basic trouble is that most laws can be subverted by waving a magic wand of words, but they have the wrong wand made by racists instead of the right wand made by dead peeps (only many of whom were racist) and stare decisis

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, I know people who literally aren't paid to work, but are exchanging their labour for money. This is called being a self employed independent contractor (or a gig worker). They still have to pay taxes (way too much on account of how ridiculous their rates are. This goes for both contractors and gig workers, but in different ways)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

So yes on both then, fantastic :allears:

She's also a landlord which sets up a lot of concern

Also she drinks not bleach but a bleach adjacent thing every day to "keep her healthy"

And legitimately believes that reality has been changed and the Mandela effect is a real thing

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Homocow posted:

Also look to see if the flag at the court has gold trim. Then it is not actually an American flag and you say the following magic words "Ajji Majji la Tarajji" and they have to let you go.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

She's also a landlord which sets up a lot of concern

Also she drinks not bleach but a bleach adjacent thing every day to "keep her healthy"

Lmao it's miracle mineral solution isn't it

Len posted:

And legitimately believes that reality has been changed and the Mandela effect is a real thing

This lady's amazing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder if she knows that in order to turn off tax withholding like that, she (or her company on her behalf) had to submit something like form W-4 to the IRS, which (in addition to CREATING JOINDER with the government) immediately tells the IRS "hey look at this idiot with a microscope, they're doing something stupid"

If she's actually sovereign to the bone though she'd be more concerned with the joinder than with being sent to jail for tax evasion, can't wait to find out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shame Boy posted:

Like even if you accept the ridiculous premise that its not "income" its sales, you still should be paying sales tax on that poo poo

Ahh but you see the buyer pays the sales tax

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

This lady's amazing

It's colloidal silver still a thing?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Even if you did that for some reason (which would be dumb because disbursing stuff to the populace is a basic function of the state, and thinking of that as "entitlements" is implicitly accepting a Republican framing), non-defense spending is still larger than defense spending and police spending (though not by much)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BonHair posted:

It's colloidal silver still a thing?

Colloidal silver will never not be a thing. Remember last year when a preacher was selling it as a covid cure?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Even if you did that for some reason (which would be dumb because disbursing stuff to the populace is a basic function of the state, and thinking of that as "entitlements" is implicitly accepting a Republican framing), non-defense spending is still larger than defense spending and police spending (though not by much)

I meant defense spending vs. any other category, not defense spending vs. every other category put together.

Also I'm pretty sure "entitlement" comes from the much older idea that you're entitled to it as a right, not from republicans trying to tie it to entitled soy boys or whatever. Not that that matters much these days I guess.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Homocow posted:

the law can and is subverted by a magic wand of words and ideas, but they don't have enough of the blessed reagents (money) for priests (lawyers) to cast the spells for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

law is pretty much magic yes. if you are white

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Also I'm pretty sure "entitlement" comes from the much older idea that you're entitled to it as a right, not from republicans trying to tie it to entitled soy boys or whatever. Not that that matters much these days I guess.

Yeah it's "legal entitlements", but as you say, that discourse has been thoroughly poisoned, oh well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

entitled just means the right comes from a statute (title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

This lady's amazing

I think it's some sodium/acid combo? I could ask tomorrow but that would mean talking to her and I try not to do that