Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah, with a DC coupled interface you can set up an lfo in your daw and send it to your modular for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
You can also use AC coupled with modular but only for clock/triggers.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Ok that makes sense, thanks! Everywhere online gets into so much detail that I was getting confused.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I learnt the difference between the two after watching one of the Native Sessions Reaktot vids on YouTube- I think it might have been Chris Hetrick, the Euroreakt guy, linking Reaktor to a physical rig.
I'm not sure DC outs on interfaces are that common (though the NI one he was using had one)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm pretty sure all MOTU interfaces are DC coupled, even the cheaper ones like the Ultralite series.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

This is a good resource https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/which-audio-interfaces-are-dc-coupled/

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
MOTU says that even the M2/M4 are DC coupled, though I've never tried it myself.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So anyone have any experience with the iridium?

I'm in the process of selling off a lot of things that I've either grown out of or just didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would and that looks like it would be a "do literally everything" synth to get instead of picking up like 3-4 things both hardware and software wise to cover what it can do.

Mostly into it because it's a wavetable synth as well as a sampler since those are the two things I seem to gravitate towards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I was able to hook up my new keyboard to my computer and I "legally downloaded" a copy of FL Studio. Now I understand how Blade Runner soundtrack is formed. I am become Vangelis.

This "synth" stuff is pretty cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SynSKWw0vqA

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 6, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/HOCmLGYhY0I

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
ok now the synths included in FL Studio are too weak and I am learning how to use Euro Rack Simulator so that i can harvest sounds directly from the mind of god

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

ok now the synths included in FL Studio are too weak and I am learning how to use Euro Rack Simulator so that i can harvest sounds directly from the mind of god

Use the 'audible instruments' modules, which are ports of Mutable Instrument's hardware modules. They sound fantastic and will eat days of your life knob twiddling.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rutibex posted:

lol, casio to virtual eurorack nerd in, what, two weeks

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Use the 'audible instruments' modules, which are ports of Mutable Instrument's hardware modules. They sound fantastic and will eat days of your life knob twiddling.

The Voice of Labor posted:

I actually ordered this thing from amazon (it should arrive in a few days) because turning virtual knobs with a mouse is getting tedious. The organ draw bars on my Casio will not map to knobs in any midi interface :( But once I get this thing I should have lots of physical knobs and sliders to fiddle with!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

ok now the synths included in FL Studio are too weak
they're not but get thyself https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/ and https://vital.audio/ and don't bother with the subtractive stuff in FL anymore.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

one of us one of us

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

they're not but get thyself https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/ and https://vital.audio/ and don't bother with the subtractive stuff in FL anymore.

That was a bit of hyperbole lol. Of course I have not explored 99.95% of the functionality of any of FL studio synths yet, I mostly just fiddled around and hit the "randomize" button on all of them a few times each. But I figured if I am going to do a deep dive into a synth I may as well learn the best most complex one, so I settled on euro rack simulator.

Also I really really like generative music. I stumbled onto a few videos of people making randomized music with synth patches and it feels like a more pure version of Fractmus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0ozkJ8wbw

edit: wow Vital is really cool too, I'm gonna have to play around with this a bit.....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/XJO0xWrupxY

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I love her studio space, full immersion

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Flex and Sytrus are godly. Transistor is amazing for 303, I'm having a hard time saying Phoscyon is better. Tho now that I've got a TD-3 I dont bother much with either.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any special techniques they use for harvesting randomness? It seems the main weakness of digital modular synths is the fact they are simulations and therefor deterministic. Where an analogue system can pick up randomness from the environment. I was thinking about using a radio maybe? Tuned between stations you can hear the static of the universe and that would make a good random input. I saw this video of a synth module that uses a Geiger Counter to make sounds from atomic decay and I was wondering if there was other sources I could be considering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1PhEqVBq4

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i really like the Quantum Rainbow 2 module, seven colors of noise there

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rutibex posted:

Does anyone have any special techniques they use for harvesting randomness? It seems the main weakness of digital modular synths is the fact they are simulations and therefor deterministic. Where an analogue system can pick up randomness from the environment. I was thinking about using a radio maybe? Tuned between stations you can hear the static of the universe and that would make a good random input. I saw this video of a synth module that uses a Geiger Counter to make sounds from atomic decay and I was wondering if there was other sources I could be considering?

I mean, computers seed their RNGs with environmental factors too... like the time of day you turn it on for example

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cryptography requirements have motivated modern OS' to put a ton of effort into building entropy, feeding in values from a dozen different subsystems (time, free memory, user keyboard timings, mouse movements, and so on). This means any random number produced by calling that function is going to be relatively high quality. There's no guarantee your vsts are using that function call, but the option is certainly there. It's a big waste to try to come up with your own source of randomness because people much smarter than any of us have put years of effort in to it.

I guess if you enjoy the process of rigging Geiger counter to your computer go for it, hacking on computers is fun. But you're not gonna a perceptibly superior randomness.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wouldn't some form of noise source (white, pink, etc) into an S+H do the trick? Or combining any two slow, complex sources?
I use the random lfo shape on my Microfreak, a decidedly digital synth, a lot and I can't say I have ever noticed any obvious 'repeats', especially once I have the speed on that modulated by another source such as the cycling envelope.

Same with Reaktor Blocks, the various chaos generators with the Euroreakt set especially are very unpredictable, despite being 100% software

Was it anything specific you wanted this randomisation for, notes or filter cutoff for example?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Was it anything specific you wanted this randomisation for, notes or filter cutoff for example?

No not anything in particular. I guess what I meant was the popping of a geiger counter has a different "rhythm" than pure static if that makes any sense. So I was just curious if anyone knows about anything exotic like the gieger counter. Like for example I saw a few reverb modules that use a physical spring? Things that are physically impossible to simulate in a computer.

xzzy posted:

Cryptography requirements have motivated modern OS' to put a ton of effort into building entropy, feeding in values from a dozen different subsystems (time, free memory, user keyboard timings, mouse movements, and so on). This means any random number produced by calling that function is going to be relatively high quality. There's no guarantee your vsts are using that function call, but the option is certainly there. It's a big waste to try to come up with your own source of randomness because people much smarter than any of us have put years of effort in to it.

I guess if you enjoy the process of rigging Geiger counter to your computer go for it, hacking on computers is fun. But you're not gonna a perceptibly superior randomness.

:v:
this is fair I'm sure the random number generator the computer spits out is random enough I would never notice the difference.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 11, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those geiger type pops play with a burst and/or a ratchet module. And a euclidean generator to trigger them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rutibex posted:

lunetta cmos noise makers were originally conceived around using environmental inputs to control them. a breadboard, a couple of basic oscillators and some photoresitors would be a good start. converting wind power/direction into control voltage could also be done. if you can code it's possible to turn all manner of data into sound data

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lunetta cmos noise makers were originally conceived around using environmental inputs to control them. a breadboard, a couple of basic oscillators and some photoresitors would be a good start. converting wind power/direction into control voltage could also be done. if you can code it's possible to turn all manner of data into sound data

Thank you this was exactly the content I was looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wak3oeOw8w

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

So I've got a few guitar pedals that accept CV inputs to control parameters, and I was thinking it would be cool to hook up some kind of external LFO source to them. I started looking around for something guitar pedal-y but didn't find anything I liked. I did find a lot of really cool modular gear though, which sent me down a rabbit hole figuring out how to set up a small case whose sole purpose in life would be to produce an LFO for my pedals.

I haven't messed with modular gear before so I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm a little confused about how to reconcile different input and output voltage ranges. Some of my pedals accept 0-5v, and some accept 0-3.3v. Some of the modules I'm looking at output 0-5, some do 0-8 or 0-10 and so on.

What's the best way to hook things together in this kind of situation? I feel like I'd need some kind of voltage mapper where you specify an input and output range, but I haven't found anything like that so maybe that's not a thing. Or maybe I don't know the right terminology.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Funny that this is the topic of discussion because I've just recently been playing around with a lot of randomization stuff in Bitwig, making long weird drones as a way to explore all of the automation options. Just a whole bunch of crap like this:

Each of the dice over to the left is a different RNG sending twitches to several different parameters of four different delay lines, so that they feed into each other and feed back on themselves to different amounts. It's really cool because it will go almost silent for a good twenty seconds and then come back with something that sounds like an ocean wave crashing or a symphony swell or somewhere in between. That bottom right automation module is a sidechain, which will slowly bring down the feedbacks if the whole schmear gets too loud for a long time.

Basically I just create a couple of channels like this, send random notes to them, and let it go crazy.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rutibex posted:

Thank you this was exactly the content I was looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wak3oeOw8w

https://electro-music.com/forum/forum-160.html

good news is that even with covid supply shortages the stuff in the video is maybe $30-40 in components. if you want to take all the fun out it, the circuits are also pretty easy to simulate in reaktor or probably cycling.

everyone should build one of these:

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/atari-punk-console/

sub out the 100k potentiometer for a 100k photoresistor. tayda is a good place to source basic synth diy components

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

dizzywhip posted:

So I've got a few guitar pedals that accept CV inputs to control parameters, and I was thinking it would be cool to hook up some kind of external LFO source to them. I started looking around for something guitar pedal-y but didn't find anything I liked. I did find a lot of really cool modular gear though, which sent me down a rabbit hole figuring out how to set up a small case whose sole purpose in life would be to produce an LFO for my pedals..

Korg MS04, not sure if anyone ever copied it tho

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Ran across this EBay listing while trying to treasure hunt and saw this thing for 1200 bucks with the most wild rear end name.

The Ketron Vega Night Extreme.

Needless to say I was loving intrigued.

Then I went and found some video. Boy howdy, if you ever wanted to do that...that's how.

Inshallah.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Check out the stream at weathefortheblind.com sometime if you want to hear how environmental sensors hooked up to a synth can sound.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i bought an isn’tses chernobylizer that arrived this week but i got hit hard by import tax so i can’t afford to buy a power supply for it until i get paid in like 2 weeks. the thing is absolutely gorgeous looking tho and i’m stoked to make soundscapes and layers on that thing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

Ran across this EBay listing while trying to treasure hunt and saw this thing for 1200 bucks with the most wild rear end name.

The Ketron Vega Night Extreme.

Needless to say I was loving intrigued.

Then I went and found some video. Boy howdy, if you ever wanted to do that...that's how.

Inshallah.

:hmmyes:
Seems a bit pricey for what looks to me to be an Indian CASIO, but I do like that sound.....

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Seems a bit pricey for what looks to me to be an Indian CASIO, but I do like that sound.....

Oh yeah. No idea what they do...but for real paying anything over 100 USD for anything that has built in speakers is a crime...I guess unless you got that house of saud money.

Was just shocked there is an entire world of instrument aimed at seemingly the Arabic wedding market.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Basic Poster posted:

Oh yeah. No idea why they do...but for real paying anything over 100 USD for anything that has built in speakers is a crime...I guess unless you got that house of saud money.

Was just shocked there is an entire world of instrument aimed at seemingly the Arabic wedding market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I guess I'm a criminal, since I'm guilty of owning an OP-1 and having formerly owned some Volcas. Definitely don't have saudi prince money though, I'd own a lot more synths if I did.