Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If anyone’s still interested in the no-tone USB cable, actually looking at the back of my Mac I think the cable is just busted — there’s an LED on the plug end that never lights up, which is never good. Switched out to an old crackly Rocksmith cable and it works as expected.

So anyway I’m thinking continuing to use a DAW is probably a better solution for me than something like a Katana, and I’m kind of done with these cables. I know this comes up frequently, but any DI recommendations? I seem to remember you guys being bullish on Focusrite? For info this is an ancient iMac so I don’t have USB 3, but I do have an unused FireWire 800 port and two Thunderbolt ports, in addition to a line in. I can’t see myself ever connecting anything but one guitar at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Using pretty much the extent of my theory knowledge (and probably oversimplifying for my own sake) but

C Major and A minor are basically exactly the same, just starting from a different place. Same with any other major/minor relationship, but this one is good because its just all the white keys on a keyboard.

If you play in A Minor over a C Major chord progression, or vice versa, you can get some cool ambiguous moods.

And as said above, some of the wankiest metal is major scales over minor chord progressions using this concept.

You've made it clear during your time here you don't like metal Landgrabber, and despite liking metal a lot, I respect that; it's not for everyone and there is a lot of poo poo metal. But there's a lot of poo poo in any genre, not necessarily with the amount of additional baggage that comes with metal, however you never know what bits you might find you like.

Metal is pretty much as meaningless a term as indie these days, it covers so much ground.

You seem to have a clear vision of what you want to do with your music (which to an extent I'm almost a bit envious of as I flick between things constantly and end up getting nothing done), and I'm by no means telling you what to do or meaning to sound patronising, but its always worth being open to new things.

Unrelated, I have been listening to Poppy's I Disagree today which is like the most clever Queen/Beatles-esque pop music, but also deathcore. and electronica. It's like Grimes joined Bring Me the Horizon and Brian May and Paul McCartney wrote the music. I have no idea if it's mad genius or just mad, but it's intriguing as hell and there's some really clever harmonic devices used.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 11, 2021

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

Unrelated, I have been listening to Poppy's I Disagree today which is like the most clever Queen/Beatlea-esque pop music, but also deathcore. and electronica. It's like Grimes joined Bring Me the Horizon and Brian May and Paul McCartney wrote the music. I have no idea if it's mad genius or just mad, but it's intriguing as hell and there's some really clever harmonic devices used.

Babymetal has spawned a new genre!! :axe:

Reminds me of this one of theirs a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hivJTm4ncjo&t=91s

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

NonzeroCircle posted:

Unrelated, I have been listening to Poppy's I Disagree today which is like the most clever Queen/Beatles-esque pop music, but also deathcore. and electronica. It's like Grimes joined Bring Me the Horizon and Brian May and Paul McCartney wrote the music. I have no idea if it's mad genius or just mad, but it's intriguing as hell and there's some really clever harmonic devices used.

It's either very cool or extremely not cool they put ozma in as an extra in the video.

I have no way to validate which.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

NonzeroCircle posted:

C Major and A minor are basically exactly the same, just starting from a different place. Same with any other major/minor relationship, but this one is good because its just all the white keys on a keyboard.
This is basically true, especially in a lot of rock and pop music, but be aware that chords in A minor can sometimes contain a G#, often to create a proper V7 chord (E7 in the key of A minor). This is the purpose of the harmonic minor scale (from which phrygian dominant is derived), and also a feature of the melodic minor scale. It's worthwhile to spend time learning the diatonic triads of the harmonic minor scale and melodic minor in order to incorporate those sounds.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

put on some fucken miles davis or something and learn 2 jazz

listening to jazz is proven to make you a more complex guitarist

jazz sucks.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway i loving give up. i know too many songs too well. every little lick is just a song i can't help ripping off. nothing comes to me originally.

i'm going to either make 8 minute long remixes of taylor swift songs in ableton or bang my head against a wall until i think jokes about fonts are funny and then become a graphic designer. it's been three years and this poo poo isn't working. it all sucks.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Basic Poster posted:

It's either very cool or extremely not cool they put ozma in as an extra in the video.

I have no way to validate which.

it's so sad what happened to ozma, where they did all their best rivers cuomo impressions and eternally got pigeonholed into being a weezer ripoff band.

their songs on rock and roll part 3 are pretty neat emo songs with a surprising amount of different sections and tempo changes to them, but they were just doing teenaged pinkerton impressions so hard that they hosed up their entire band. it's super sad because even today i think what they were doing in 2000 is miles ahead of the indie rock bands impersonating weezer that have come along since.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dude you don't know too many songs you literally don't know how to play in the minor key.

people have told you how to get out of the well

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

dude you don't know too many songs you literally don't know how to play in the minor key.

people have told you how to get out of the well

no people have told me level 1 music theory, about relative majors and minors. i've tried all that.

i understand the poo poo. i just can't write with it. and spending hours and hours and hours studying that poo poo hasn't made that any easier.

and when i say "i know too many songs" what i really mean is "i know how to play a song i like in every key, so the second one chord's written, i'm just back to playing a song i already know"

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

landgrabber posted:

no people have told me level 1 music theory, about relative majors and minors. i've tried all that.

i understand the poo poo. i just can't write with it. and spending hours and hours and hours studying that poo poo hasn't made that any easier.

and when i say "i know too many songs" what i really mean is "i know how to play a song i like in every key, so the second one chord's written, i'm just back to playing a song i already know"

Wait, so you're trying to write a song with a sequence of chords that's never been used before?

If so, you should probably pick another goal.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

landgrabber posted:

it's so sad what happened to ozma, where they did all their best rivers cuomo impressions and eternally got pigeonholed into being a weezer ripoff band.

their songs on rock and roll part 3 are pretty neat emo songs with a surprising amount of different sections and tempo changes to them, but they were just doing teenaged pinkerton impressions so hard that they hosed up their entire band. it's super sad because even today i think what they were doing in 2000 is miles ahead of the indie rock bands impersonating weezer that have come along since.

I meant the mod

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's 14 new movable ways to go I iii VI V resolving to I from Modern Chord Progressions. The Os and Xs are embellishments and voice leading lines, ignore them if you want.

Turn your fuzz up all juicy and try some of them out as slow as you need to. Each one sounds different, even within one of the most tired chord sequences in music history.

Once you totally master this page, go buy the book.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a foolish pianist posted:

Wait, so you're trying to write a song with a sequence of chords that's never been used before?

If so, you should probably pick another goal.

no i'm trying to say that i can't play F#, C# without going "oh that's the world has turned and left me here" and then playing A# and B afterward

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

"oh you wanna write songs?? go listen to avant garde jazz for hours or you must be trying to disprove the laws of physics" this poo poo is gay and it sucks

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

landgrabber posted:

no i'm trying to say that i can't play F#, C# without going "oh that's the world has turned and left me here" and then playing A# and B afterward

Maybe you need to learn more songs, then? If that's the only thing you hear when you hear F# C#, learn some more stuff that starts with those two chords to break that association.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

landgrabber posted:

"oh you wanna write songs?? go listen to avant garde jazz for hours or you must be trying to disprove the laws of physics" this poo poo is gay and it sucks

We're really going to use the g-word pejoratively in the year of our lord 2021?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

The mods just told us not to post like this, mister.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 11, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao pls don’t get a LP in like cherry or tobacco burst

:colbert: Chery burst LP best LP

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert: Chery burst LP best LP

The more I GAS, the more I realize I'm just a wood-grain guy. Boring old tobacco burst p bass cargo shorts sunscreen dad.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a foolish pianist posted:

We're really going to use the g-word pejoratively in the year of our lord 2021?

like half the people in this thread have seen me be trans online bro it's fine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If that's wrong, baby I don't wanna be right

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The mods just told us not to post like this, mister.

yeah, well, i', amgry that i've never had talent at anything, so

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

landgrabber posted:

oh you wanna eat my entire butt, thanks for the advice but no thanks rear end in a top hat

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Cheese Thief posted:

oh you wanna eat my entire butt, thanks for the advice but no thanks rear end in a top hat

i stared at this for 8 straight minutes and gave up

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I was 20 I knew every Foo Fighters song but acoustic, then I fell down a 3-year Frank Zappa hole.

20 is about the right age for Zappa.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

landgrabber posted:

Great post, gently caress yeah!

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

landgrabber posted:

Your extremely weird fixation on Weezer is now causing you make really embarrassing posts about excellent bands.

Ozma is on instagram whenever you come to the above realization and wanna apologize

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Your extremely weird fixation on Weezer is now causing you make really embarrassing posts about excellent bands.

Ozma is on instagram whenever you come to the above realization and wanna apologize

your username is "captain caffeine". i bet bacon is bae and adulting is like a boss

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

landgrabber posted:

your username is "captain caffeine". i bet bacon is bae and adulting is like a boss

says the tiny buddy who manically ingested 20 years worth of weezer fan forums on their seventeenth birthday and based their entire personality on it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

kaptainkaffeine posted:

says the tiny buddy who manically ingested 20 years worth of weezer fan forums on their seventeenth birthday and based their entire personality on it

you lost your right to make roasts like this on the 10th anniversary of actively posting on Something Awful Dot Com

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
lg, jazz is awesome, these people ain't lying, please check some out. it will legit help you

listen to enough different kinds of music and it will come to you, i promise

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also clearly you don't know anything about me if you think my entire personality is based on weezer forums. for instance, i also have ADHD and am racist

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:munch:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What’s going on.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

landgrabber posted:

also clearly you don't know anything about me if you think my entire personality is based on weezer forums. for instance, i also have ADHD and am racist

for petes sake :/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nishi koichi posted:

lg, jazz is awesome, these people ain't lying, please check some out. it will legit help you

listen to enough different kinds of music and it will come to you, i promise

so whenever i've tried to listen to jazz i just never get it. there's some stuff i just can't get for some reason, it never clicks into place. jazz is like that, i get the same thing from david lynch movies and twin peaks, too. i think there's some sort of social anxiety that i'll be judged if i don't like it, and it prevents me from really being able to get through to it. similar thing with poems, i can't really tell the difference between a great poem and a good poem and you could probably sneak a bad poem past me as a good one and i wouldn't notice. and i don't really "get" paintings beyond appreciation for technique, i guess. i'm just baby brained.

i went on a long thing where i was listening to a lot of different music (songs in the key of life, swan lake, der valkyrie, baduizm all kinda happened around the same time) and it was interesting but i didn't really notice it helping me write anything

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nishi koichi posted:

for petes sake :/

i just said it jokingly lol i'm not still mad about it or anything

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

the most fun i had was i went through a tiny disco phase (cause i only know like two disco songs) but i liked them a lot. i tried asking for more recs though and couldn't really get anything from anyone

i listen to a lot of top charting pop music too.

weezer comes up a lot because rivers cuomo in the 90s was the best songwriter out of the 90s emo scene and that's the bullshit that speaks to me. blue and especially pinkerton really aren't too far off from something like SDRE or jawbreaker or hum or whatever and i love all that poo poo too. but rivers cuomo is a better songwriter/melodist than all those bands, so 90s weezer wins. not that hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

landgrabber posted:

so whenever i've tried to listen to jazz i just never get it. there's some stuff i just can't get for some reason, it never clicks into place. jazz is like that, i get the same thing from david lynch movies and twin peaks, too. i think there's some sort of social anxiety that i'll be judged if i don't like it, and it prevents me from really being able to get through to it. similar thing with poems, i can't really tell the difference between a great poem and a good poem and you could probably sneak a bad poem past me as a good one and i wouldn't notice. and i don't really "get" paintings beyond appreciation for technique, i guess. i'm just baby brained.

i went on a long thing where i was listening to a lot of different music (songs in the key of life, swan lake, der valkyrie, baduizm all kinda happened around the same time) and it was interesting but i didn't really notice it helping me write anything

it's possible you haven't found your jazz yet, or you may not like it at all. all i can say is keep trying. poo poo, if you can believe it, i didn't get joy division the first few times i heard them as a kid, and then they caught me on a perfect day and i fell in love. i really like latin jazz. when you're listening, find an instrument and focus on it and see what they're doing, change to another one, get wrapped up in the rhythm

really, really listen to it and try to examine how it makes you feel, what the music is doing at the time. do you catch yourself tapping your feet or shaking your hips? look at what's doing that for you