Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool.

So move out. Don't say "its too hard" or whatever because yes it's one of the most difficult things ever, but taking steps to fix that problem is a lot smarter and more productive than this. Do it one step at a time. Think of a goal like "job search for something out of town," or "save money for a security deposit in a new place" then do that, and slowly build up to move out of your lovely situation. Doesn't loving matter if you gotta flip burgers or something but anythign is better than whatever the gently caress you're doing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Like a proper old person I just discovered how much fun dulcimer can be. My gf made a few years back and this past weekend I was noodling around on one and loving the drones.

By this point I know I’m never going to learn much more about music theory than a power chord so it’s the perfect instrument for me :v: I can just gently caress around and it all sounds good.

I just ordered this Merlin by Godin, it’s the EQ model with a pickup and I can’t wait to run it through some fuzz n poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Missed a number of posts and I am fondly reminded of when a dude turned the league of legends thread into his depressing blog.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

listen to good jazz like SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS instead of dogshit jazz like any form of jazz with a guitar in it, imo

Guitar jazz gotta have that fusion aspect otherwise it’s just a dude who thought playing smooth jazz guitar meant he’d meet more women

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cool.

So move out. Don't say "its too hard" or whatever because yes it's one of the most difficult things ever, but taking steps to fix that problem is a lot smarter and more productive than this. Do it one step at a time. Think of a goal like "job search for something out of town," or "save money for a security deposit in a new place" then do that, and slowly build up to move out of your lovely situation. Doesn't loving matter if you gotta flip burgers or something but anythign is better than whatever the gently caress you're doing now.

dog i don't have a car because my frontal lobe is so pulverized that i misread a traffic light and tried to make a left turn right as someone was in the oncoming.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Get a bike.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh you're right I'm mixing up posters :doh: This thread has been surprisingly dramatic lately! Its just supposed to be about guitars, man!!!

Can we all just strum some Kumbaya?

i think the stress of the pandemic is getting to us all.

but yeah lg main takeaway is: there's nothing new, explore and try to have fun

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Here's a little something for the thread, my best attempt at Pseudohendrix for the evening. I've been trying out flatwound strings and I think they suit this song pretty well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-593859898/pseudohendrix

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Kazinsal posted:

Missed a number of posts and I am fondly reminded of when a dude turned the league of legends thread into his depressing blog.

Guitar jazz gotta have that fusion aspect otherwise it’s just a dude who thought playing smooth jazz guitar meant he’d meet more women

grant /wes/django/freddie green aside, i honestly agree with aggro dumb in general; guitar can take over a straight up bop group in the same way a bad pianist can, and the expressive advantages of guitar playing are kinda outweighed by the expressive advantages of horns imo. there are lots of really good jazz-influenced players, but i generally don't want to see an electric guitar in a trio or quartet date.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bees everywhere posted:

Here's a little something for the thread, my best attempt at Pseudohendrix for the evening. I've been trying out flatwound strings and I think they suit this song pretty well.

oh man that tone is smooth, great job

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

creamcorn posted:

grant /wes/django/freddie green aside, i honestly agree with aggro dumb in general; guitar can take over a straight up bop group in the same way a bad pianist can, and the expressive advantages of guitar playing are kinda outweighed by the expressive advantages of horns imo. there are lots of really good jazz-influenced players, but i generally don't want to see an electric guitar in a trio or quartet date.

i really like blink. but it's weirdly difficult to find their stuff anywhere. i borrowed and ripped "the epidemic of ideas" and loved it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

landgrabber posted:

jazz sucks.

landgrabber posted:

anyway i loving give up. i know too many songs too well. every little lick is just a song i can't help ripping off. nothing comes to me originally.

i'm going to either make 8 minute long remixes of taylor swift songs in ableton or bang my head against a wall until i think jokes about fonts are funny and then become a graphic designer. it's been three years and this poo poo isn't working. it all sucks.

landgrabber posted:

no people have told me level 1 music theory, about relative majors and minors. i've tried all that.

i understand the poo poo. i just can't write with it. and spending hours and hours and hours studying that poo poo hasn't made that any easier.

and when i say "i know too many songs" what i really mean is "i know how to play a song i like in every key, so the second one chord's written, i'm just back to playing a song i already know"

landgrabber posted:

no i'm trying to say that i can't play F#, C# without going "oh that's the world has turned and left me here" and then playing A# and B afterward

music- 1
landgrabber- 0

landgrabber posted:

"oh you wanna write songs?? go listen to avant garde jazz for hours or you must be trying to disprove the laws of physics" this poo poo is gay and it sucks

I was lol’ing at the ongoing meltdown until this part

maybe—and I’m just throwing this out there— you should leave this thread and never ever come back, dude

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Huxley posted:

I put new strings on a uke once and it took 6 months for the thing to hold tune.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

yess nosfaratu is back

regarding the string stretchiness, it really do be like that

Yeah I think last time it took a couple weeks to stay solid. Six months, good lord, I'd give up! Tuning issues drive me batty.

Snowy posted:

Like a proper old person I just discovered how much fun dulcimer can be. My gf made a few years back and this past weekend I was noodling around on one and loving the drones.

By this point I know I’m never going to learn much more about music theory than a power chord so it’s the perfect instrument for me :v: I can just gently caress around and it all sounds good.

I just ordered this Merlin by Godin, it’s the EQ model with a pickup and I can’t wait to run it through some fuzz n poo poo

My dad used to build these in his 1980s basement woodshop. He even made a dulcimer for his shop bathroom door with wooden beads on lines that played the strings when you opened the door.

Weird stuff.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0aOb4BBdY These!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
do yall think George Benson didnt gently caress or something? the jazz slander in this thread is reaching untenable levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilMWCMu4Szc

also note the organ riff at 6:45 in here that sounds just like Synchronicity II

thing is, if you play enough guitar it's pretty likely that someone will want to have sex w you, regardless of whatever else is going on. whether that's a plus or not is debatable

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

music- 1
landgrabber- 0

I was lol’ing at the ongoing meltdown until this part

maybe—and I’m just throwing this out there— you should leave this thread and never ever come back, dude

when i said it was gay and it sucks i didn't mean the posts but writing songs

that's what was going through my head at the time even though it reads completely differently

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowy posted:

If you do play that through fuzz, do it on a big loud amp and profoundly cut all the lows and low mids, and then marvel at the feedback you get.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Bit dated, but I always recommend Scofield's stuff with Medeski Martin and Wood as an accessible window into fusion guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

landgrabber posted:

i can't write anything and have still never hosed at 19

fyi a lot of people I know who have lost count of how many people they've had sex with didn't start until they were in their 20's. That's more a product of getting out from under your parents thumb than anything else. Seriously chill out and you'll be fine.

I'd also extend the same advice regarding your songwriting. Chill out. Listen to music you like and play your guitar and don't worry about it. If you find new melodies or whatever swimming around in your head, record it real quick. Build an entire book of ideas and draw from them when you want.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i spent some time yesterday and today playing with the mpc. i think i needed a break from everything for a while.

there's something to approaching guitar from other angles, i think this shift to electronic is helping me a lot

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT7dsnaLCSY

the band is so plugged in during Scofield's solo it's insane

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
jazz is good

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

that's what was going through my head at the time even though it reads completely differently

The problem isn’t exactly what you were calling gay, it’s the fact that you think using “gay” as a pejorative is acceptable in TYOOL 2021.

Stop posting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

today i ordered pizza and when the man came to the door one of my mom's dogs broke through its gate, ran past the guy, and i had to trespass through various yards and hope no one would see me and call the police when i was just trying to get back my mom's dog that she couldn't be bothered to train.

then my baby boomer aunt came over and talked to my mom extensively about how hosed up it is that every couple in every commercial on tv is black now, and my headphones are open back in a small house and her voice carries and i couldn't block it out and i can't write anything and have still never hosed at 19

landgrabber posted:

“look I said writing songs is gay, not people’s posts”

gently caress right off with that, dude

you don’t get a pass on casual bigotry because you’re poor and you had a lovely day

this website is practically bursting at the seams with people like that, in situations as difficult and intolerable as yours, and they don’t get a pass on dropping casual slurs

Also: I didn’t have any sex that wasn’t an extremely rare (like once per year+) and entirely mortifying and horrible experience until I was like 23 (didn’t have any sex at all until like 20, unless awkward hand poo poo counts), and then I more than made up for it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Can we all just strum some Kumbaya?

Come by here my lord

Come by here

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

bees everywhere posted:

hey, nice! that makes me feel better, thanks for sharing that

this one sounds good too https://soundcloud.com/user-593859898/quiet-time

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

duodenum posted:

The problem isn’t exactly what you were calling gay, it’s the fact that you think using “gay” as a pejorative is acceptable in TYOOL 2021.

Stop posting.

Ok Comboomer posted:

“look I said writing songs is gay, not people’s posts”

gently caress right off with that, dude

you don’t get a pass on casual bigotry because you’re poor and you had a lovely day

this website is practically bursting at the seams with people like that, in situations as difficult and intolerable as yours, and they don’t get a pass on dropping casual slurs

Also: I didn’t have any sex that wasn’t an extremely rare (like once per year+) and entirely mortifying and horrible experience until I was like 23 (didn’t have any sex at all until like 20, unless awkward hand poo poo counts), and then I more than made up for it

i'm transfeminine and bi. lotta people in the thread know that dude. throw a pen in a room full of gay people and it'll hit someone who ironically says gay in a pejorative sense.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

beer gas canister posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT7dsnaLCSY

the band is so plugged in during Scofield's solo it's insane

god drat, if i could get a drummer to look at me like that when i'm playing :D

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
billy martin is a seriously underrated drummer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i'm transfeminine and bi. lotta people in the thread know that dude. throw a pen in a room full of gay people and it'll hit someone who ironically says gay in a pejorative sense.

“it’s a bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for her—“

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't know and didn't care. Also imagine I said that statement in a bunch of various other sentences too.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nishi koichi posted:

i spent some time yesterday and today playing with the mpc. i think i needed a break from everything for a while.

there's something to approaching guitar from other angles, i think this shift to electronic is helping me a lot

so you're playing guitar again and enjoying it more this time? thats great, im happy for you

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

“it’s a bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for her—“

in the old discords i went by feminine pronouns and a feminine name and it was obvious i was trans. buncha people here know that's the case going back at least two years.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

so you're playing guitar again and enjoying it more this time? thats great, im happy for you

<3 thank you

here's some stuff i don't really feel comfortable calling anything more than sketches, i definitely want to take what i can from these and redo them. they've been around for a while but i always go back and review old material

https://soundcloud.com/dotgodot/life-threw-a-punch-at-his-beautiful-jaw

decent amount of fuckups here, but the core is good i think:

https://soundcloud.com/dotgodot/z9txf2abfpwq

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 12, 2021

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway irony of all this is that i got so sad about not being able to write songs that i was able to write something cool in Dm and realized everyone was right and i just need to give minor progressions a chance more. so now i'm feeling better again.

THE CYCLE CONTINUES

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

landgrabber posted:

in the old discords i went by feminine pronouns and a feminine name and it was obvious i was trans. buncha people here know that's the case going back at least two years.

Well I think it's cool that you are good at writing lyrics. That's it's own field of study entirely and involves a lot of musical and more importantly in ways, non musical skills. That's real cool.

In terms of major and minor...I get it. Minor diatonic theory is not as simple and clean cut as major diatonic theory. And there are at least for versions of minor (natural, melodic ascending, melodic descending and harmonic) plus the minor modes (which tend to be either extremely dark or exotic sounding).

Don't feel bad. If you are good with the Nashville system (roman numerals) then you could look up some common minor progressions and just play with some of them and make sure (at least starting out) that the melody notes on or very near or in beats 1 and 3 that your melody notes are from the chords underneath. This should at least get you out of "I can't internalize minor" feeling...which is pretty common tbh.

If after 5 or so progressions of doing that for excercize, it's not dark enough, then yeah...mess with minor church modes ( they can be ranked in terms of "minorness"...aolean or natural minor soft of being the least minor of the minors).

Also for sure just search "pop songs in minor" and put a little bit of study in them. Learn the chords and see how the melody works, paying attention to where and how the melody uses chord tones and when it doesn't. Write all the notes in each chord out and see how they resolve and what they're up to.

Don't feel too bad. Three years is still just starting out. I've been at it either very aggressively or hardly at all (mostly the latter) for...gently caress...at least since like 1986 or something and I still loving suck. But that's okay. It's fun to do, and I find it very personally rewarding. The thing in itself will bring you joy as long as you don't put too many expectations for it to deliver you fame and fortune.

You shouldn't worship a god just to go to heaven, and you shouldn't dedicate time to music if you are only doing it for fame and fortune. If you engage with it whole hearted and give it the time and presence it deserves, it will reward you in untold, unexpected and incredibly valuable ways.

That said...as a songwriter just starting out (you're on a good part and so young! So much time to grow and learn!!!) I very much would recommend Ralph Murphy's book "Murphy's Laws of Songwriting:The Book"

If you can't bug a copy, I'd be happy to send you my copy free of charge. I think some structure and guide rails to take the feeling of endless expanse of possibilities might be helpful.

Best of luck

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
glad you’re feeling better. I just want to say that this post

landgrabber posted:

also clearly you don't know anything about me if you think my entire personality is based on weezer forums. for instance, i also have ADHD and am racist

is an absolute loving dril tweet of a funny post and I laughed for like five solid minutes upon reading it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

glad you’re feeling better. I just want to say that this post

is an absolute loving dril tweet of a funny post and I laughed for like five solid minutes upon reading it

it was on purpose jsyk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

landgrabber posted:

it was on purpose jsyk

well if the music doesn’t work out you have a career in weird twitter comedy

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo neat! i would tune it to a major chord, but just intonation instead of equal temperament :twisted:

i really dig your bass playing, and i can hear it really well in this one. and i love a clean guitar part like this! this bright and airy thing is a great sound for you and the song works for me -- nice work

sounds good. i like the guitar part, but maybe I wanted a different bass part for it to groove with? or maybe that's the point of the song -- it makes me feel like i'm pushing two opposing magnetic poles together.

i like the first one best, but i hope you also continue to make more stuff with this heavy kind of sound

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

that’s really, really not how this works, dude, and the fact that I even have to explain that to you at 19 after you’ve been out online for at least two years tells me that you’ve still got a lot of growing to do

what’s acceptable in online edgelord communities, or in subculture/community-specific spaces of friends that know you, is not the same as what’s acceptable in semi-anonymized public forums full of people of all backgrounds and orientations

If you went into an lgbtq space full of adult strangers in the physical world and started talking like that somebody would step to you

most people here probably don’t just casually know that you’re bi or trans, and leaning on the implied knowledge of that to play fast and loose with socially acceptable language is kind of like me telling an admin “actually it’s fine that I used ‘wetback’ and ‘spic’ as casual pejoratives in those posts, I’m Latino, and everybody in the thread who knows me should know that”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I keep forgetting to try flatwound guitar strings. I ordered some bootstrap pickups last month and I guess by the “we aren’t taking any orders” message on their website I may be waiting for awhile.