Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I handled some (bagged) dry ice blocks last week without gloves on. I was in a hurry to transfer them as and I thought I would be O.K. because of the bags and brief exposure. It turns out I got some very light burns. Nothing visible, but my sensation of touch was funny in places till the next day.

Don’t do as I do, folks.

This week I bought pelletized dry ice. It’s certainly the most visually dynamic commodity I’ve bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5KvzzH4Eg&t=34s

Do not touch the forbidden ground beef.

This other video has better music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ECkj9BLLU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

zedprime posted:

Oldie but goodie

This is loving amazing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/evren__7/status/1392279838740733958

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I found this on tiktok. Has sound. (Did I embed it right??)

https://i.imgur.com/kHSTib4.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not to mention that it’s gasoline in a polyethylene IBC.

e: If that’s a thousand‐litre tank, it’s like seventeen hundred pounds of gasoline, plus the weight of the tank itself at one fifty or so. The trailer will be overloaded, but it’s the least of the worries here.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 12, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Woozie66 posted:

The choice of... that instead of grinding sort of suggests the chips may be the desired product here?

The sound is fun, at least.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Did I miss something, why is there a run on gas all of a sudden?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

Pipeline shutdown due to cyberattack

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Hackers shut down one of the biggest pipelines on the east coast.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's pretty awesome! I bet it contained the radiation pretty nicely. Our vault was just barely good enough for most of the x-rays we did. After stacking some cinder blocks around the outside of it we exposure was cut down to 2 mR/hr with the survey meters pressed against the bricks lol

Oh yeah, we were at maybe .01mr/hr at the highest point running a 240kV xray. The ir sources (90 to 150 ci) didn't even measure above background, even when we had 2.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Pipeline shutdown due to cyberattack

And its panic buying, as there's no actual shortage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

And its panic buying, as there's no actual shortage.

There shouldn’t be an actual shortage, but there may well be one due to the panic buying itself.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Computer viking posted:

The choice of... that instead of grinding sort of suggests the chips may be the desired product here?

The sound is fun, at least.

The amount of effort and the size of the tooling makes it clear that's intentional, but everything I know about machining says that's a terrible idea.

The thing is, I don't actually know all that much. I've worked with machinists, and got along relatively well for an engineer, but all that means is that they didn't have to point out too many dumb ideas I had.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

There shouldn’t be an actual shortage, but there may well be one due to the panic buying itself.

Ah. I heard about the pipeline hack but I also heard that it was already resolved

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

My dad just moved from Marlton Lakes to Audubon, which somehow has more turkeys despite the lack of forests.

Nailed in one, I shot this while cruising the Audubon Town-Wide Yard Sale in 2019. Turkeys are the gangs in that town, and they are brazen. Three of them were wandering in front of my car when that one tried to mug me came by to say. "hi"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evilreaver posted:

Ah. I heard about the pipeline hack but I also heard that it was already resolved

There's the usual dumb Facebook fearmongering.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Platystemon posted:

Gas is the new TP

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zero One posted:

Gas is the new TP

Is this one of those bidets I keep hearing about?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Imagined posted:

Hackers shut down one of the biggest pipelines on the east coast.

They didn't even shut down the pipeline. They shut down the business side of the network. So Colonial can't bill people. But people around here are freaking the gently caress out. As per the boomer in my life, our local neighborhood group is panicking that the pipeline might run under their house. And terrorists will use it to blow up their house. It's making the local nut jobs go wackier.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thomamelas posted:

They didn't even shut down the pipeline. They shut down the business side of the network. So Colonial can't bill people. But people around here are freaking the gently caress out. As per the boomer in my life, our local neighborhood group is panicking that the pipeline might run under their house. And terrorists will use it to blow up their house. It's making the local nut jobs go wackier.

Who needs cable with neighbors like that?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/FiendishlyYours/status/1391990487222001666?s=19

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Log082 posted:

The amount of effort and the size of the tooling makes it clear that's intentional, but everything I know about machining says that's a terrible idea.

The thing is, I don't actually know all that much. I've worked with machinists, and got along relatively well for an engineer, but all that means is that they didn't have to point out too many dumb ideas I had.

That's a shaper, and a fairly heavy duty one at that. Looks to me like it's being used totally correctly: you have a big cutting tool that you run across the workpiece, retract it, feed in a few thousandths of an inch, and repeat. You can make some pretty decent surfaces on it.

They're basically obsolete at this point just because they're so slow, but there are still some around and they're basically bulletproof, so hey may as well keep it around. It's OSHA as all hell since there's no guarding, but let's be real here: everything back then lacked guarding.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Double post

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Woozie66 posted:

That's a shaper.

Here's a vid of a guy going though one that was restored. Cutting starts around the 16 min mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86XFZlje0c

drat thing is so big it has a startup procedure and a 3 min warmup period.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 12, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

This video is old as poo poo but still funny.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

-Zydeco- posted:

Here's a vid of a guy going though one

Misunderstood this but couldn’t figure out how gore like would stay up on YouTube.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Misunderstood this but couldn’t figure out how gore like would stay up on YouTube.

Its like the opposite end of the spectrum from a lathe. Instead of one sudden twist it gets you one thin shaving at a time.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Who needs cable with neighbors like that?

It's a change up from them freaking out about seeing someone black in the area.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Karia posted:

That's a shaper, and a fairly heavy duty one at that. Looks to me like it's being used totally correctly: you have a big cutting tool that you run across the workpiece, retract it, feed in a few thousandths of an inch, and repeat. You can make some pretty decent surfaces on it.

They're basically obsolete at this point just because they're so slow, but there are still some around and they're basically bulletproof, so hey may as well keep it around. It's OSHA as all hell since there's no guarding, but let's be real here: everything back then lacked guarding.

Tooling for shapers is also extremely cheap compared to mills, but that is probably the sole advantage they still have. Abom79 has a big appreciation for the old machines and a bunch of videos about learning how to run them and the old shop tricks and techniques that have been mostly lost.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero One posted:

Gas is the new TP

I think the average person has greater ability to store toilet paper than gasoline, but then there are champions like the guy with the trailer, so maybe not.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-12/suez-canal-widened-ever-given-cargo-ship/100134036

Egyptian Government posted:

The narrow section of the Suez Canal that was accidentally blockaded when the Ever Given cargo ship became stuck will be expanded and deepened

Shipping companies posted:

Ahh, excellent, time to build bigger ships

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/RdZV4d5.mp4

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh man, my favorite channel to accidentally fall asleep.to after work.

*krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkk* *PING!*

shapers can deliver a superior surface finish and flatness, and for cutting key ways and stuff they can be quicker and more accurate, without risking your endmill, plus unique profiles that you can grind into the tools.

Generally they're less versatile and much heavier, for sure, that's why they've generally gone extinct, especially in the era of affordable carbide tooling. Awesome watching them make big chips for sure though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
What are the OSHA implications for using cartridge nail guns against protesters?
https://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video-861601.html
(skip to about 2:17)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

devmd01 posted:

My first job out of college was an IT tech for a retail company deploying new stores/maintaining APs, cameras, etc. No training or anything, and my first job I got sent out to replace an AP.

“Here’s the United rentals number to get a scissor lift delivered and our account to charge it to. Have fun!”

The only time I caused an issue was getting a 40ft scissor lift into a store because the ceiling was stupid high, and managed to knock the sliding glass door off its tracks.

It wasn’t until many years later at a different job that anyone gave a poo poo about certs, PPE, or whatever, and that was only because I was driving a 40ft boom lift inside the warehouse and the head of HR managed to walk by right then. Cmon man, I clearly knew what the gently caress I was doing.

:eng101: OSHA considers scissor lifts mobile scaffolding and any place that requires training or fall arrest on them is going above and beyond the nonexistent legal minimums

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

V. safe as long as you remember to duck enough.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Karia posted:

Shapers still are the best for removing scaly hard surfaces fast, but that's really it.

A place I worked at years ago had a shaper for smoothing up stuff that came out of our foundry. It was not uncommon to see chips shaped like a 6" diameter spring by a foot long. I think it was from a .2" depth of cut x 1" deep. The scariest part was hearing them sizzle as they flew through the air. :frogout:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Evilreaver posted:

People are being dumb. Pipeline will be fixed in five days everyone everywhere went full Mad Max in response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

People are being dumb. Pipeline will be fixed in five days everyone everywhere went full Mad Max in response.