Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LOOKIN REAL GOOD BUTCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Butch really gets the job done every week

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Butch is getting the job done

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Go get yourself a jacket.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Cage is so underrated. Bronson is a perfectly capable singles guy. I'll miss all their big bear tag team moves though please get well soon Boulder

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I love Dark so much. Every week it makes me happy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
PA-PA-PA-POWAH HOUSE

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yoga Meets Power

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god that crossbody

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

with Mike Sydal, Sonny Kiss and Julia! Hart, AEW is stocking up on wrestlers who can do splits-based offense and defense

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

for a millisecond Hobb's rear end, Mike's head and the turnbuckle all occupied the same space

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:stare:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
he dead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Scissors Body Attack

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Mike Sydal has been so surprising, love the way he uses those cartwheels and splits, totally looks effective and smooth

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

very much into the sydals fighting team taz

cage and hobbs vs the sydals would be amazing

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Taz being offended by Matt coming to help his brother rules.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
good show, darkfriends

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

good show, darkfriends

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Very into Diamanté presumably insinuating her self into Death Triangle as a Statlander counter.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Very into Diamanté presumably insinuating her self into Death Triangle as a Statlander counter.

I told you all this is what it would be.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Too powerful. Illegal strategy.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The Best Friends vs The Worst Friends

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
KiLynn King's mom jeans are pro tier

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
i'm really behind alla y'all and you can just fuckin' deal with it

Joey Janela is really good and I really like him

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Workrate Janela has really been one of the greatest surprises of AEW Dark

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anthony Bowens is also really, really good and I really dislike him

His vicious heelwork feels super believable, he's so good at it

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The steiners would be proud of that Hobbs lariat

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

smarxist posted:

10 seems to have a pretty great gas tank, wanna see him in a 20 minute work rate match with like, Kaz or something

yeah kind of excited for kaz's singles run

neoaxd posted:

I love Dark so much. Every week it makes me happy.

pandemic dark is the best. it's perfect and stupid and amazing

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
That was a sick episode. I keep watching these intending to just scrub through for a couple highlight matches but wind up just watching the whole thing. JD vs. 10 was a real standout for me, Pretty Picture is a lot of fun and I hope they can get more Dynamite time in the future.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PublicOpinion posted:

That was a sick episode. I keep watching these intending to just scrub through for a couple highlight matches but wind up just watching the whole thing

good because its excellent

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Darkthoughts

Someone forgot to turn off the sound bed.

1) Milk Chocolate vs Mox and Kingston. Lovely to see Beyond's best jobber team here. For about twelve seconds. Love the clothesline full Nelson suplex pin.

2) Uno, Five, and Colt vs Andrew Palace, Spencer Slade, and Cole Karter. Palace continues to have great facial expressions. Uno and Palace work well together. Angels as always has some amazing explosive kicks. Slade has a good leap. Fun little six man.

Diamante interview talking poo poo on Kris Statlander. This could be a lot of fun.

3) Lance Archer vs Angel Fashion. Archer beating up Fashion on his way to the corner was great I love how much joy Lance has when he gets to fight people. Fashion gets a good flurry in, and doesn't look bad at all, but then Archer reels him in. Nice squash match here.

4) Jake Logan, Rick Recon, and Ryzin vs Solow, Comoroto, and Marshall. Rick Recon is a GI JOE-rear end name. Comoroto is a really good big man. Beefy bully with savage speed. Ryzin trying to do a corner splash on Comoroto was not clever. And Marshall tagging in at the end to take the pin was great. Nice heel squash.

Honks!

5) Varsity Blonds (w/Julia Hart) vs Jaelyn Brandyn and Traevon Jordan. I like that the Varsitys have a friend. Julia works with their look too. Nice athletic stuff. I like Jordan/Brandyn as a big/little team. Let them be called Moves and Curls, it's already written on their butts. Pillman's powerslam is awesome. Good looking short match, and I like the Varsitys and Julia together.

6) Diamante vs Willow Nightingale. Love Willow. Love Diamante. Looking forward to this. Couple of bits near the start of this where there could have been fuller contact but Willow has such personality that it's not a problem. Oof, that corner dropkick from Diamante. Beautiful Code Red from Diamante for the win.

7) Dante Martin vs Aaron Frye. Austin Gunn was doing an Air Traffic Control act in the background. Oh, this is fun. Frye is explosive when given the chance, Dante is supremely gifted, between the two of them this is a really even and compelling match.

8) Ashley D'Amboise vs Nyla Rose. Vickie out for the intros. Nice even start to this one. Nyla takes control, and lays in some great looking strikes. Cannonball senton looked kind of crap, but every other part of this squash was great.

Nice Dark Order team promo.

9) Honk and Bononi vs Gray and Alanis. God, I love their music. Just hot bois doing hot boi poo poo. Bononi is still a little lost between spots in the ring, but this was a really good fun tag.

10) Julia Hart vs Kris Statlander. Statlander is really getting back into it. So agile now, and some of her power moves are beautiful. Loved her powerslam. Julia Hart is very good for someone early in her career. I think she could just go with Julia as a name.

11) Jungle Boy vs Marty Casaus. Marty The Moth being in ring shape again fills me with joy. This is really good fun. Marty teases flying like "A big MAWFF" and otherwise shows off a great weird bruising style. I'm mostly talking about Marty here because Jungle Boy being really loving good is taken as read. Love the snare trap ending. Good stuff.

12) Velvet and Swole vs MK Twins. King cornering for her friends is great. MK Twins were pretty good last time, let's see how they do today. Turns out: pretty well! This hits hard. Love the double dab back elbow. Swole is so much more together than she was even a year ago. Confident win, but this was really very good.

13) JD Drake vs 10. Just Delicious Drake the absolute snacc. This is fun. Hard hitting, Drake keeping his nice shirt on. This is a hell of a match. Battlin JD taking it to 10, who comes back with raw power. I loved that even when 10 locked in the full Nelson Drake fought. He fell to it but he went down fighting.

14) Joey and Sonny vs The Acclaimed. OK, Max nailed the gently caress out of that one. This will come as a shock to you, but a match between these four is really really good. Acclaimed are so athletic, Sonny is so gymnastic, Joey is a lunatic x factor. Nice dodging from Sonny. God, Bowens is so very very good. He's doing great with the Acclaimed and long may that continue but there's a main event singles run in his future. The duelling top rope elbows were great.

15) Bear Bronson vs Brian Cage. Two different types of Big Strong Guy collide in an explosion of Beef. Machines: famous for healing up in like minutes. I wouldn't mind Bronson as a Starks fill-in. Astonishing drill claw from Cage. This was great.

16) Powerhouse Hobbs vs Mike Sydal. This is really fun. Mike is fast and limber and athletic, and Hobbs is a loving cannonball. Sydal keeps wriggling out and getting some offense strung together until Hobbs just brutalises him. Strong and sadistic and just really really good.

A packed show, but there was a lot that was good here

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

StarkRavingMad posted:

man we keep losing half of a tag team

This is because everyone in AEW is part of a tag-team.

MorningMoon posted:

very much into the sydals fighting team taz

cage and hobbs vs the sydals would be amazing

I can't really think of a matchup w/ the Sydals that I wouldn't be keen to see. Dudes are good wrestlers.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

That's some presumption.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thunder Rosa joins Death Triangle. Penta just accepts her presence as he assumes she's him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Taz being offended by Matt coming to help his brother rules.

"YOUR BROTHER IS A GROWN-rear end MAN!" :lol:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's remarkable to me that when Ryan Nemeth first showed up I was so underwhelmed by his very presence that I was annoyed and wanted him to gently caress off forever. Now, what a month later? I am deeply invested in Hot Boi Wrestling Squad, not ironically, not sarcastically, I'm just fully on board. I guess it helps that I'd already long since become a Peter Avalon fan and was, of course, a fan of JD Drake the moment I laid eyes on him in the ring. I'm still not used to AEW's ability to put things together that just make so much sense and, thus, work really loving well. I have no investment in Julia Hart, I wasn't impressed with her brat heel work against King last week, her match with Britt Baker was whatever, but she walks out with the Varsity Blondes and I genuinely said, out loud, "gently caress." It's such a good grouping and again it just makes so much sense (I also liked her match with Stat later on this ep.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

It's remarkable to me that when Ryan Nemeth first showed up I was so underwhelmed by his very presence that I was annoyed and wanted him to gently caress off forever. Now, what a month later? I am deeply invested in Hot Boi Wrestling Squad, not ironically, not sarcastically, I'm just fully on board. I guess it helps that I'd already long since become a Peter Avalon fan and was, of course, a fan of JD Drake the moment I laid eyes on him in the ring. I'm still not used to AEW's ability to put things together that just make so much sense and, thus, work really loving well. I have no investment in Julia Hart, I wasn't impressed with her brat heel work against King last week, her match with Britt Baker was whatever, but she walks out with the Varsity Blondes and I genuinely said, out loud, "gently caress." It's such a good grouping and again it just makes so much sense (I also liked her match with Stat later on this ep.)

It feels like AEW is committed to the principle of "find the thing you're good at". If you push Ryan Nemeth as a bargain basement Dolph Ziggler, then a bargain basement Dolph Ziggler is all he will ever be. And he's at best average at that. If you instead let him be an evil but ultimately funny handsome dork who hangs out with other handsome dorks, and make it wholesome then it just works. He's funny, he's a dufus rather than a jerk, and he's ultimately a good friend.

And they do this with competitor after competitor. It's genuinely excellent talent management.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
aew makes shows about friendship

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DARKNESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's Dark time.