Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The only thing I don't like about the letterboxing is that the bars don't have the same thickness.

Sharkitten posted:

I'm even considering playing Drakengard?

Try playing the first level for a few minutes to cure you of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’ve gotten ending A and most of the DLC in Drakengard 3 done and the biggest takeaway I have is that Mikhail is great. That’s my review.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I have copies of D1 and 2 that my friend got me for my bday years ago.

I have never even put them in my PS2.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really hope this game sells well. This time there's not a whole fuckin 80-page EULA of excuses you are required make for the game while holding someone hostage if you simply want to make it a recommendation, other than the side quests are like 99% mechanically bad and designed to waste your time but are thankfully optional, so it should be extremely accessible to those who just want a nice, fun, short-ish action-JRPG to play with good-feeling combat, amazing characters, a VERY STRONG endgame and arguably the greatest OST to come out of the East ever.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sharkitten posted:

I am surprised at how much I ended up liking Replicant

I'm going for the plat and I never do that for videogames unless they're very special

I'm even considering playing Drakengard?

Save yourself the headache and just read a let's play. TheDarkId has done all of the Drakengard games and they're pretty completionist so you're not missing any quests/content.

I'm going for the platinum too, and man grinding out the mats for weapon upgrades is killing me. The flower honestly isn't so bad, I can just plant what I need and go, but I am so bored of grinding. I have a list of literally everything I will need for all the weapon levels on all the weapons, and I've just been going through the Junk Heap over and over until I get bored/run out of healing items, then heading over the Emil's place then rinse and repeat. I'm running on hard mode, and I have the loot buffs on all my weapons and magic and it is taking forever. I have 10 weapons fully levelled so I know I'm making progress but it's so slow going. I was trying to get it before hitting up Endings C/D, but I think I might wait until E. I need the sheep killing achievement anyway.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I really hope this game sells well. This time there's not a whole fuckin 80-page EULA of excuses you are required make for the game while holding someone hostage if you simply want to make it a recommendation, other than the side quests are like 99% mechanically bad and designed to waste your time but are thankfully optional, so it should be extremely accessible to those who just want a nice, fun, short-ish action-JRPG to play with good-feeling combat, amazing characters, a VERY STRONG endgame and arguably the greatest OST to come out of the East ever.

Eh, much like 2B’s rear end in Automata, Kaine’s underwear is enough of a barrier for some people in my experience.

Those same friends played a fuckton of MGS5 though so :downs:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Counterpoint: the amount of people brought in by 2B's rear end far, far, far, far *deep breath* farrrrrrr outweighs the number of prudes offended by the sight of women :cripes:

Edit: Jokes aside, I 100% believe the strength of Autoama's character/outfits design was substantial element of its success. Not in a sexy pervert way specifically, but I do think it was very compelling to people. I know I've definitely picked up games or looked into stuff just cause I thought a character looked cool.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 11, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but you were talking from the perspective of recommending it to people, and none of my friends are anime perverts so it’s a tougher sell than you’d think.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah but you were talking from the perspective of recommending it to people, and none of my friends are anime perverts so it’s a tougher sell than you’d think.

None of your friends are Anime Perverts...yet

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol I can't relate to this at all but all I can think of is Saints Row 2's "minority warning" but with w*men when recommending games to people

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 11, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Boogalo posted:

None of your friends are Anime Perverts...yet

But unfortunately, Yasuhiko-kun’s fatal flaw is that he doesn’t consider himself a pervert.

That’s why things between us ended up the way they did. We never had a conversation where I yelled at him: “That’s why you're a perv! Just admit you like pussy already!”

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

Ok thanks for your input, this really helped me understand why Yoko Taro wanted his game to look like dogshit during cutscenes, very artistic

e: lol I guess I'm the only person who finds it weird and dumb looking so... Guess I'm wrong

There's your problem, attempting to understand why Yoko Taro does ANYTHING is a losing proposition. I mean, this is a man who's been doing press for the Replicant remake by speaking through a sock puppet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you don’t need to be an anime pervert. Considering RE village biggest selling point is it has a really tall lady.

Sex sells and it always will

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My partner is never going to play a game in which a main character spends the majority of the time in literal underwear or has a clearly titillating design, and that's fine, I respect that (goes for anyone else in the thread who think it's a deal breaker too, for that matter). She also doesn't care when I do because she's not threatened by 2B's immaculate robutt. However if playing games with sexy anime ladies is causing problems for your relationship then maybe it's time for a conversation with your partner (not a licensed counselor or anything, just seems prudent).

RubberLuffy posted:

I've watched a lot of people's playthroughs who never did it but you should use a Spear in Automata B because you can hold light attack and throw the spear so hard it goes for miles. Best weapon type for that character.

Yeah I've been going over this thread's release impressions while I've been replaying and thankfully I saw someone's post mentioning spear of the usurper for 9S and now I'm officially a 9S liker.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 11, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

There's your problem, attempting to understand why Yoko Taro does ANYTHING is a losing proposition. I mean, this is a man who's been doing press for the Replicant remake by speaking through a sock puppet.

I feel like the Rosetta stone moment for me was the interview where he mentioned a formative youth experience, where a friend of his fell from a roof and died, then everyone looked in shock... then started laughing because their dead friend was getting a boner.

That feels like it explains everything, somehow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo this Forest King route b sequence is horrifying lol I do not remember it being this hosed up. :stare:

Well, at least the brother Nier outfit I unlocked for 9S is pretty :unsmith: anyway

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 12, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find that I almost never use non-heavy attacks unless I'm fighting enemies that don't guard. I basically just mash triangle and dodge with the Phoenix Spear constantly, causing me to spin around like a top from one enemy to the next.

Only downside to that (and spear combos in general) is that they can easily send you flying off ledges. Aerie Part 2 was a pain because of this, and I've also flipped out off the ledge of an upper floor in Lost Shrine a couple times.

beep by grandpa posted:

Edit: Jokes aside, I 100% believe the strength of Autoama's character/outfits design was substantial element of its success. Not in a sexy pervert way specifically, but I do think it was very compelling to people. I know I've definitely picked up games or looked into stuff just cause I thought a character looked cool.

The cover of the original NA Nier is very funny. Just this picture of a badass swole guy with NIER in some sort of DOOM-esque font and a tiny Kaine/Emil behind him.

goblin week posted:

That was a different guy. Doctor Nutt is the guy that is legitimately bamboozled by letterboxing in cutscenes lol

Oh whoops, don't know how I misread that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sixteen weapons left to upgrade.

The mats I'm dreading are anything from the desert dudes who drop nothing ever, and the 5 Memory Alloy I still have yet to get because at least man the Titanium Alloy has
-a chance- of dropping from the regular mobs

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You misread it,its Mammary Alloy, you get it when you fight Kainé. :haw:

...I'll see myself out.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I am so glad I don't have 100% completion brain worms.

I really hope Yoko Taro snuck in another NPC that lets you buy achievements/trophies and just hid them as some completely unimportant and well hidden Facade NPC.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Madmarker posted:

I am so glad I don't have 100% completion brain worms.

I really hope Yoko Taro snuck in another NPC that lets you buy achievements/trophies and just hid them as some completely unimportant and well hidden Facade NPC.

It was Fyra. Sorry

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
If you have the Automata music turned on, Weiss's sacrifice syncs up perfectly with an instrumental Weight of the World.

EDIT: HOLY gently caress EMIL'S SHOP THEME WHEN HE SURVIVES

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 12, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Beefstew posted:

…my god I need to see that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

…my god I need to see that.

Same, I guess I need to buy the DLC now, gently caress.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Same, I guess I need to buy the DLC now, gently caress.

That DLC is free!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Beefstew posted:

If you have the Automata music turned on, Weiss's sacrifice syncs up perfectly with an instrumental Weight of the World.

Holy poo poo I need to see this lmao

I turned on the Automata music for a little bit during one of my ending grinds and found that Replicant's soundtrack is way better and I didn't really need or want to hear Automata's after a few hours. Except that I knew my #1 fav song Nier song, Wretched Weaponry, would play in the Junk Heap and I was correct so I jammed out to it there :rock:

(I meant to post about it earlier but was debating whether or not to put it in spoiler tags cause I couldn't remember if it was DLC or something you just got for beating the game but decided gently caress it since literally no one's ever mentioned it until your post lol)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

12 weapons to go, still not a single thing dropping from the Desert :shepface:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't necessarily think Automata's soundtrack is bad, per se, but its definitely a harder sell over the original's and Automata's just doesn't feel right over this game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope it didn't sound like I was calling Automata's OST bad, it's def in my top 5, maybe even top 3 of all time game OSTs :D

Your boy is just really, really feeling Replicant's right now (Listening to the lovely coda outro to The Wretched Automoton's as I write this) :hellyeah:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I love both but I think Automata's just edges it out as the winner for me.

I think mostly because of how well it's used in its own game and all the variations involved. Stuff like City Ruins ~Shade, any of the Become As Gods variations, Birth Of A Wish - This Cannot Continue, The Copied City, the route C version of Song Of The Ancients. Just stuff that will stick with me forever.

But it's not really a contest because I think OG NieR, Automata, and Replicant all compliment each other and make up some of the best poo poo in the business.

I did not use it in Replicant however since I had beaten the game before finding out you could lol. Maybe if one day I decided to revisit for the platinum.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I actually didnt even realize the music was remixed from the original

I watched some gameplay of NieR: Dad Edition and the music sounds so disjointed and odd in comparison

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think for me Automata has higher highs (Wretched Weaponry, City Ruins all versions, Forest Kingdom, Amusement Park, Alien Infestation, The Tower to name a few) but has many more instant skips than me than Replicant, which so far (maybe recency bias!) I feel like Replicant is more consistent. The only song on it I actively fuckin hate is the ballroom song from Shadowlord's Castle lmao

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 12, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:aaa: had no idea about the automata music thing. Definitely using that when I go back to finish up achievements because I don't think I can handle hearing that lost shrine theme even one more time.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Best version of Alien Manifestation is the Arranged version

Don't @ me

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RubberLuffy posted:

Best version of Alien Manifestation is the Arranged version

Don't @ me

...where can I learn this power? (I actually much, much prefer this track w/o the vocals.)

Tbh some of the Automata OST arrangements don't do it for me and I have many rips of tracks tailored to my tastes...for example, Memories of Sand OST version builds and builds and never really pays off to a really hard big booming vocal climax the way it does in-game, which makes it blueballs.mp3 for me. I also edited a version of Wretched Weaponry that goes from Quit to Medium and back to Quiet, without any vocals just like it does when you visit the Abandoned Factory. Ownsss.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Find better friends

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Alien Manifestation is one of the best first level songs ever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer the original version fo These Wretched Automatons.

...but Drakengard 1 still wins OST-wise because of how batshit it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZqPGHuBxA

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh difficulty affects droprate, huh?

Suddenly raining in Broken Wristwatches...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Beefstew posted:

Alien Manifestation is one of the best first level songs ever.

I don't know why but that part where all your teammates are shot down and the strings come in is the first of many memorable moments in the game.