Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I hate non-all-way stops in the city. My city has mostly gone to all-way stops over the past 20 years or so but there's a couple left and they're a pain the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

prom candy posted:

I hate non-all-way stops in the city. My city has mostly gone to all-way stops over the past 20 years or so but there's a couple left and they're a pain the rear end.
There are very few all-way stop intersections that wouldn't be better either as a roundabout or with signals depending on traffic volume. An all-way stop is rarely the right answer, just the cheapest and laziest one.

Beyond that, all-way stops are supposed to be for where roads with relatively equal traffic volumes meet. If your city is taking unequal intersections and making them all-way stop that sucks and should not be encouraged.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's one stretch of road near my house that has a bunch of stop signs. The flow of driving on that stretch is basically speed up to the speed limit, then stop for a stop sign, over and over again for like 6 stop signs. I'd be much happier with roundabouts there...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sleepy.eyes posted:

Today it was me. Stoped at a sign, saw another car not slowing down and stabbed the brakes. I was pretty annoyed but I'm used to fuckers running stop signs. Only it turns out it wasn't a 4-way. Thank gently caress I'm about the only person in this town who -stops- or I would have been hosed and 100% at fault.

And here I was getting sort of haughty about following nthe rules of the road...

A little humility ain't a bad thing. I've nearly gotten hosed by that too. And of course, people blowing 4-ways.

They're removing several rotaries where I live and it makes me sad. We'll just have massive interchanges and the traffic will get worse instead.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You'll be happy to know that they still have that bullshit one way sign halfway down a street in my town, speaking of which. At least it's a bit more visible now because a weed store bought all the abandoned lots next to it and turned them into a nice parking lot and landscaping instead of vast thickets of falling down buildings, chainlink fences, and all-consuming masses of vines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/365ThingsAustin/status/1388991097528102916?s=20

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
it's one shrub

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

In Australia they call that a ghillie ute

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Haha, goddamn, I took this video a few days ago, guess this guy made quite an impression:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 5, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

You'll be happy to know that they still have that bullshit one way sign halfway down a street in my town, speaking of which. At least it's a bit more visible now because a weed store bought all the abandoned lots next to it and turned them into a nice parking lot and landscaping instead of vast thickets of falling down buildings, chainlink fences, and all-consuming masses of vines.

gently caress that sign. Yay for the weed store, I'm sure it's nicer than the meth dens that were there previously.

One of the dumbest intersections in the Commonwealth...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, it's dumb and I'm kind of tempted to "borrow" it every time I see it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had a car go straight through a turning lane beside me off a light and almost hit me because the single lane on the other side of the intersection lines up with the turning lane.

they honked when i carried on into my lane because i didn't expect someone to be cruising in my blindspot in a non-existent lane, although i usually check just in case.

I ended up in front of them, and they floored it and passed me on a narrow residential street just to show me how inconvenient it was that i didn't cater to their lovely driving.

There are 4 loving turning lane signs on the road, and one on the street light because people are irredeemable shitheels.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If there's one thing abundantly clear to me about driving, it's that most people are completely incapable of thinking ahead like that. It's just simple poo poo that makes your life easier like getting over to the rightmost lane before your exit comes up on the highway, etc. People just don't think about stuff like that. Or maybe it's probably more accurate to say people just don't think.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Protocol7 posted:

If there's one thing abundantly clear to me about driving, it's that most people are completely incapable of thinking ahead like that. It's just simple poo poo that makes your life easier like getting over to the rightmost lane before your exit comes up on the highway, etc. People just don't think about stuff like that. Or maybe it's probably more accurate to say people just don't think.

A friend commented recently that since covid stuff has eased up here and people have started going to jobs again after a few months not driving, they seem worse. Like they'd forgotten how to drive. I reminded him they were always poo poo, there was just more cars around so they could hide their fuckwittery easier in the crowds of metal.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Here’s a couple from this winter.

This idiot didn’t bother to stop at the off-ramp, and you can also see they tried to hit-and-run unsuccessfully:

This idiot missed a turn onto my street (ish - the feeder to my street). The road they were turning off of is 45mph; looks to me like they were going a *tad* faster than that when they tried making the left turn:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/1390271590093447169

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

loving moron

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well was he for the bill or against it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Countdown to the inevitable spammy ad for green-screen covers for seatbelts.

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
"Are those back wheels supposed to be like that?"
"No. No they are not."

It looked much worse directly behind this person.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ExecuDork posted:

Countdown to the inevitable spammy ad for green-screen covers for seatbelts.
Then he would have a line of bookshelf going across his chest making the attempt at trickery obvious. As this means the guy spends money and still gets caught I am 100% for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What I don't get is out of all those people in that meeting, not one of them called him out for his completely obvious bullshit.

This is why important bills aren't being passed because of a bunch of pussies that don't want to ruffle any feathers. gently caress that guy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CannonFodder posted:

Then he would have a line of bookshelf going across his chest making the attempt at trickery obvious. As this means the guy spends money and still gets caught I am 100% for it.

Oh, I know. But that won't stop a company offering greenscreen fabric sown up to cover a seatbelt and flogging the hell out of it to people who don't think even that far ahead, or have a clue what a greenscreen is or does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A for effort

https://twitter.com/jbenedictbrown/status/1392088717041491973?s=20

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And the first question is "how does snow melt?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
They just went rallying :3:

kastein posted:

Oh there's one like that in my city (well there are more I'm sure but one that I run into). You turn onto this street like normal and drive for a while. Then in the middle of it there's a one way sign among a dozen other useless signs, poles, ads and trees. The next intersection is with a huge square where cops are almost always waitig of course. The one time I blew through it, I left my wallet at the office and they let me go after I kept searching for it in my briefcase, on the floor and under the seats for a few minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

We've all thought about it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Yeah, it's dumb and I'm kind of tempted to "borrow" it every time I see it.

Take it when you leave town. I'll pay you good money for it.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

How about a shirt that has a bit of extra material that the seatbelt could go under and blend in thatta way, like a flappy bit or even just a shirt that comes with a matching seat belt sleeve.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MattO posted:

How about a shirt that has a bit of extra material that the seatbelt could go under and blend in thatta way, like a flappy bit or even just a shirt that comes with a matching seat belt sleeve.

Just make a shirt out of seatbelts

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Anyone who would take a video meeting while driving is clearly a deep thinker and an incredible driver. The seat belt isn't needed for them at all, they should just unclip it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

NinjaPablo posted:

"Are those back wheels supposed to be like that?"
"No. No they are not."

It looked much worse directly behind this person.

s t a n c e n a t i o n

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

StormDrain posted:

Anyone who would take a video meeting while driving is clearly a deep thinker and an incredible driver. The seat belt isn't needed for them at all, they should just unclip it.
The real genius thinkers use a car seat as their desk chair and buckle up every day. Now you're the weird safety guy, and no one suspects a thing when you're driving. Foolproof, just like being high in your driver's license photo.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

The real genius thinkers use a car seat as their desk chair and buckle up every day.

Screw a standing desk, get a knee-high, rolling desk so that nice bolstered Recaro seat you've taken out of that old German car & sat on floor can make the hours of sedentary work feel so much better.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

That guardrail is for protecting the steep foreslope in picture 4, you don't need to protect One Car Hill from oncoming traffic because there's no obstacles within the clear zone (except arguably the backslope of the ditch, but then you'd have guardrail everywhere out in rural spots)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NoWake posted:

Screw a standing desk, get a knee-high, rolling desk so that nice bolstered Recaro seat you've taken out of that old German car & sat on floor can make the hours of sedentary work feel so much better.

I do enjoy that "gaming chairs" and "racing seats" are structurally and visually indistinguishable at this point, as far as I can tell.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The dashcam video of it wasn't worth copying but I saw a pedestrian nearly get killed the other day. Traffic light intersection at a non-US "highway" with pedestrian crossings across two of the sides. An old woman with a walker started moving when the lights changed, but must have misunderstood which direction was active and headed off across the highway while the approaching cars had a green light. First car saw her in plenty of time, and slowed to a stop at the line, but it blocked the vision of the car in the next lane which sped past just before she reached its path. It was a good way to get to work feeling very awake.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/evren__7/status/1392279838740733958?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

He does look pretty focused on the road at least.