Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sure that'll alleviate the overcrowding problem

The armored bulldozers just ain't colonizing fast enough anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

According to wikipedia every Iron Dome missile launched is 40k, apparently it's something like 800$ to assemble the missiles launched at Israel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Commoners posted:

That is some of the worst wording I've seen in a while.

Spot the Fourteen Words: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/09/world/middleeast/israeli-court-palestinian-families-east-jerusalem.amp.html

Defenestrategy posted:

According to wikipedia every Iron Dome missile launched is 40k, apparently it's something like 800$ to assemble the missiles launched at Israel.

I feel like the media is being misleading calling them rockets. They're rocket-propelled pipe bombs, but the way it's reported, it sounds like HAMAS is raining SCUDs down on Israel.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 12, 2021

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Theyre dropping white phosphorus again it looks like

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Theyre dropping white phosphorus again it looks like

Tradition dies hard.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

Dumb question but would a good number of the incoming missiles have no payload, and just be to waste a defense rocket?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dumb question but would a good number of the incoming missiles have no payload, and just be to waste a defense rocket?

A rocket without a payload is a waste of resources. They also wouldn't fly right without at least an inert payload of equivalent weight.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A rocket without a payload is a waste of resources. They also wouldn't fly right without at least an inert payload of equivalent weight.

Gotcha makes sense. I was thinking of the Russian missiles that could spam lots of non-nuke missiles to overwhelm missile defense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gotcha makes sense. I was thinking of the Russian missiles that could spam lots of non-nuke missiles to overwhelm missile defense.

The rockets they're launching are effectively Katyushas/Grads.

I think you might be referring to SCUDs, though. Those are basic but legitimate ballistic missiles.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You can see the mass launch and interceptors coming up from this angle.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1392202926299418627

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I thought there was going to be a third intifada earlier, but this is sure how you get one.

And in other news:

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1392299344355790855

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The calculus on nuclear bombardment by superpowers is different than this situation, but you're not totally off base.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If you would like to know more,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

edit: Someone with more knowledge on the history of Palestine and Israel please tell me how the Israelis haven't basically ended up with basically a crap ton of car bombers, mass shootings, hostage taking,etc,etc by the palestinians on israelis every month? Is it that the rocket attacks are just the most visible and everything else gets lost in the shuffle or did the Israelis manage effectively make Palestine into Escape from LA, LA?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: Someone with more knowledge on the history of Palestine and Israel please tell me how the Israelis haven't basically ended up with basically a crap ton of car bombers, mass shootings, hostage taking,etc,etc by the palestinians on israelis every month? Is it that the rocket attacks are just the most visible and everything else gets lost in the shuffle or did the Israelis manage effectively make Palestine into Escape from LA, LA?

It's almost like the Palestinians are not the Boogeyman the axis of America and Israel have made them to be.

Our countries have brought nothing but misery and evil.

I wish I could have stopped myself from ever enlisting just for my soul.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Defenestrategy posted:

Perhaps it is that the threat from Palestinians is highly exaggerated to create an unsympathetic “other”

Or it is, in fact, a struggle for the survival of Israel.

It’s impossible to know. Buy war bonds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

See this:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sure that'll alleviate the overcrowding problem

I know this is sarcasm but they've never pretended to care about it. Imports to the west bank are controlled by Isreal and even the strip requires their consent. West Bank is landlocked and the Strip usually takes imports from Egypt, I don't know what kind of port infrastructure they have. The Palestinians also have a split government with Hamas, nominally a terrorist organization, controlling one territory and Fatah controlling the other. Their government funds are controlled by Isreal and effective governance is almost impossible. It doesn't help that Arafat hasn't held elections for an extended period.

A heavy blockade of Palistinian territories has been a hallmark of Israeli tactics, nominally to limit arms. Construction materials get included in this as well as a host of other necessary items which makes any sort of industry impossible. I think one of the main routes of supply for the strip consisted of tunnels from Egypt however they have start to cooperate in the last several years and shut them down.

I don't know if that's the current situation though, hopefully someone can correct/fill in the details.

Edit: The Isreali Navy is used to blockade Gaza and willingly shoots humanitarian vessels so

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 12, 2021

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Pretty sure you mean Mahmoud Abbas there as head of Fatah, Arafat's been dead since 2004.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

It's almost like the Palestinians are not the Boogeyman the axis of America and Israel have made them to be.

Our countries have brought nothing but misery and evil.

I wish I could have stopped myself from ever enlisting just for my soul.

Your soul is perfectly fine WtJ, don't sweat it. A whole hell of a lot of people have done far worse and felt far better about it so I wouldn't feel too bad

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Pretty sure you mean Mahmoud Abbas there as head of Fatah, Arafat's been dead since 2004.

Oops thanks

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

the latter

lightpole posted:

See this:

I know this is sarcasm but they've never pretended to care about it. Imports to the west bank are controlled by Isreal and even the strip requires their consent. West Bank is landlocked and the Strip usually takes imports from Egypt, I don't know what kind of port infrastructure they have. The Palestinians also have a split government with Hamas, nominally a terrorist organization, controlling one territory and Fatah controlling the other. Their government funds are controlled by Isreal and effective governance is almost impossible. It doesn't help that Arafat hasn't held elections for an extended period.

A heavy blockade of Palistinian territories has been a hallmark of Israeli tactics, nominally to limit arms. Construction materials get included in this as well as a host of other necessary items which makes any sort of industry impossible. I think one of the main routes of supply for the strip consisted of tunnels from Egypt however they have start to cooperate in the last several years and shut them down.

I don't know if that's the current situation though, hopefully someone can correct/fill in the details.

Edit: The Isreali Navy is used to blockade Gaza and willingly shoots humanitarian vessels so

egypt has participated in the blockade of gaza since its institution in 2007

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 12, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Terrifying Effigies posted:

that would explain why he hasn't had any elections in a while

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

hypnophant posted:

the latter

egypt has participated in the blockade of gaza since its institution in 2007

Don't they participate only when it suits their interest or something? Either if they stand to profit economically or diplomatically?

And I think they finally have elections coming up this year right?

slorb
May 14, 2002
I really wonder if the Israeli politicians who can order missile strikes on civilian apartment buildings to achieve a domestic political goal have the same kind of brain damage they often find in serial killers.

How do you become that cold and inhumane?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

Don't they participate only when it suits their interest or something? Either if they stand to profit economically or diplomatically?

And I think they finally have elections coming up this year right?

i'm not aware of any indication of that

various attempts have been made but the border remains closed

slorb posted:

I really wonder if the Israeli politicians who can order missile strikes on civilian apartment buildings to achieve a domestic political goal have the same kind of brain damage they often find in serial killers.

one of the hallmarks of insurgencies is to launch their attacks from within civilian populations so that retaliatory strikes and counterbattery fire produce collateral damage and civilian casualties, which drive new recruits to the insurgents. it's a vicious cycle and the israelis, because they live there and don't perceive themselves as having any other options, appear to have accepted their role in it

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

hypnophant posted:

i'm not aware of any indication of that

one of the hallmarks of insurgencies is to launch their attacks from within civilian populations so that retaliatory strikes and counterbattery fire produce collateral damage and civilian casualties, which drive new recruits to the insurgents. it's a vicious cycle and the israelis, because they live there and don't perceive themselves as having any other options, appear to have accepted their role in it

Theres two parts to this I think. One is the Rafah crossing, which Egypt/Isreal does open/close when playing a diplomatic game. The second are smuggling tunnels that Egypt also plays a game with. The tunnels would be the main source of arms to Hamas.

This poo poo is hard for me to keep straight.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

Theres two parts to this I think. One is the Rafah crossing, which Egypt/Isreal does open/close when playing a diplomatic game. The second are smuggling tunnels that Egypt also plays a game with. The tunnels would be the main source of arms to Hamas.

This poo poo is hard for me to keep straight.

if you have any (credible) reporting suggesting that egypt is allowing the tunnels or looking the other way, i'd be interested to read it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It really is a difficult situation and I'd give the Israelis a lot more benefit of the doubt if the responses weren't so disproportionate and they weren't tacitly encouraging the settlers and hard-liners into antagonizing them.

slorb posted:

It's just nationalism brought to its logical conclusion but I admit I'm dumb as hell

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The layman's analysis of the current Israeli government in formation is that the anti-Netanyahu folks were going to need some Arab support to form a majority in the Knesset. So it's not like Netanyahu really hates all this poo poo going down, since it's loving with that coalition. Funny how that all works! The general breakdown of all that is here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/israel-violence-al-aqsa-protests-palestinian-rockets-helps-netanyahu-hamas-ncna1266890

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

hypnophant posted:

if you have any (credible) reporting suggesting that egypt is allowing the tunnels or looking the other way, i'd be interested to read it

In the present day no. I think the current regime is not a Hamas fan and dedicated resources to closing them. Pre regime, a large source of supply for the strip went through the tunnels.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I started reading a book on the Algerian War for Independence recently and it's maddening how colonizing powers repeat the same racist mistakes again and again. Indigenous subjects are consistently treated as subhuman, even often by those who support coexistence. The anger toward and violence against the occupier is viewed as an unfounded, infantile temper tantrum rather than an obvious consequence of inequitable treatment in law and broader society. Instead of trying to build a united society that welcomes the indigenous population into an new, united "nation", they create a powder keg of resentment.

When things inevitably blow up, they do everything they can to slam the lid back on things and extend the unsustainable status quo another few years. Eventually circumstances produce an uprising turned all-out war, which can only have three options: withdrawal of the colonizers, a political agreement with a rebalanced social contract, or all-out genocide against the colonized. Given the Israeli right's decades of insistence that Israel is the only safe place in the world for Jews (and, increasingly, that Jews outside Israel aren't real Jews), it seems all too likely we're hurtling toward the third option sooner or later.

Write your congresspeople. More Democratic representatives are speaking out than ever (though still hardly any) and they all need to hear from their constituents that it's time for America's indulgence of apartheid to end.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The rockets they're launching are effectively Katyushas/Grads.

I think you might be referring to SCUDs, though. Those are basic but legitimate ballistic missiles.

Gotcha that makes sense, thanks for explanation

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

I thought there was going to be a third intifada earlier, but this is sure how you get one.

And in other news:

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1392299344355790855

Jesus H. Chr:tviv: :allbuttons: :vince: :thurman:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slorb posted:

It becomes easier when you don't see them as people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Ummm...someone explain to me real quick why these fine Israeli police gentlemen have nailguns.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I have no idea but I'd bet you a brezel that one of them loses a finger trying to defeat the safety

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ummm...someone explain to me real quick why these fine Israeli police gentlemen have nailguns.

I went through a bunch of photos to see if that was some kind of equipment with a forward grip.

But no, those appear to be Spit brand P370 masonry and steel nail guns.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They're pulling a Chris Partlow and boarding up executed bodies in vacants?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
nails are cheaper than bullets i guess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nails are cheaper than bullets i guess

Or, all of the ammo is going to the military, which is a bad sign.

Could the "police" that are pictured there be deputies that are just armed with whatever can propel a projectile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Surely shooting nailguns at people is illegal, even if you're the cops, fucks sake