Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you have it better than most

and then you come and post on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the self hatred runs deep :cool:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well tough titties mate because now you're my role model and mentor

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

more like fat roll model

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im not fat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just wait until you have a serious family crisis and you can live the -NRY part

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

well tough titties mate because now you're my role model and mentor

don’t forget to take echi to little league this weekend. oh, and he has a book report due next tuesday.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my henry offense is buying and renovating an abandoned rowhome in a gentrifying neighborhood

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

my apartment, car and student loans are payed off, mostly from selling the house I grew up in.

I'd rather have alive parents :(

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i honestly don't know if i have HENRY offenses. i'm definitely better off than many people, but life is hardly peachy. coming from poverty sucks and bootstraps is a lie.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

bootstraps is a lie.

100%

yeah, i worked hard in school and poo poo to improve life for me and my family, but that would’ve been pretty much impossible had my wife not already graduated with an education paid for by her parents, allowing me to not work and focus on college at the time.

everyone who “gets ahead” does so with the help of others. it’s always there somewhere.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

everyone who “gets ahead” does so with the help of others. it’s always there somewhere.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

President Beep posted:

absolutely. while i think a lack of guidance and structure when i was a kid hurt me, when you look at what i achieved i definitely had help, both from public education (we had a good computer lab at my high school for example) and from a few good mentors and teachers along the way

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

also, luck is insanely important -- one good/bad event can cascade all over the place

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

more like fat roll model

dinner roll model

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

prefect posted:

also, luck is insanely important -- one good/bad event can cascade all over the place

very true

that's another thing rich people don't loving get - the price of failure when you're poor is a lot higher. this is a key aspect of what i call "poverty brain" - you're often afraid to take any risks at all, even after your life changes enough that got a decent safety net

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

100%

yeah, i worked hard in school and poo poo to improve life for me and my family, but that would’ve been pretty much impossible had my wife not already graduated with an education paid for by her parents, allowing me to not work and focus on college at the time.

not me. im an island.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

not me. im an island.

excuse me but i think you'll find that Jesus Christ was there carrying you the entire time :tipshat:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

President Beep posted:

100%

Our down payment on our first house was a loan for like $5k from my wife's grandparents, which we were able to pay back over time. When we sold the house, we pocketed $30k. Generational wealth, man.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I don't need math. when I grow up, I'll be... a caveman! yeah!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I developed a bit of a complex when my friends started buying houses in the bay area but eventually I learned that every single one of them got help from their parents, even the mba/lawyer couple

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

- 40 year old 5 bedroom house in suburbs

havin' a chortle at someone thinking 40 years old is an old house

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

40 year young house with great hair

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

I developed a bit of a complex when my friends started buying houses in the bay area but eventually I learned that every single one of them got help from their parents, even the mba/lawyer couple
for me it was years ago when i realized my peers driving nice cars were all without exception leasing rather than owning A HONDA ACCORD like i do

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fart simpson posted:

not me. im an island.
Yeah we know

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shoeberto posted:

Our down payment on our first house was a loan for like $5k from my wife's grandparents, which we were able to pay back over time. When we sold the house, we pocketed $30k. Generational wealth, man.

are you a baby boomer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

A HONDA ACCORD

:jerkbag: yes, yes. we know! trust me!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you bastard. i bet it has keyless entry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

you bastard. i bet it has keyless entry.
yes, but i've really come to enjoy the walk-away autolock.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's before nz had discovered insulation, meanwhile moisture barriers are a new and innovative technology so even new builds often have problems with mold

a mid-2000s city library with the character of beige corporate offices is designated a "heritage building"

of course it's closed now since its also at risk of collapsing in an earthquake

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive stopped buying things. just groceries and consumables now.

my covid pandemic retail therapy is over

i'm actively opposed to buying new thing now.

i bought so many toys and poo poo that i could switch up hobbies every 3 months and stay entertained for the rest of my life.

the only thing left that i would ever want to buy is a house, and that will never happen. so i guess i'm done. live as ronin that does not have to worry about money but still can never enter Real Society.

it's a low obligation life at least!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i don’t think that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

when we bought our first place (in london) we’d been saving for like 6 years or something and we still needed to borrow 20k or some such number off my dad. we paid it back within a year but we were high income. it’s loving tough without help

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

yes, but i've really come to enjoy the walk-away autolock.

oh god loving drat you.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

are you making GBS threads me???

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I would have also accepted

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

are you making GBS threads me???
it's a gamechanger beep

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ugh, here i am, mashing away at a button on my key fob like some kind of bog person. good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Possibly this