Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but on the flip side $10!!!

I mean, I would try to do it just for the challenge, but Microsoft rewards aren't available in my country. :argh:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

started playing Destroy All Humans! (2020 remake) last night and it's a pretty good Game Pass game. Dumb and shallow action game that I wouldn't recommend at full price, but it's pretty fun, has reasonably nice visuals, and is apparently pretty short if HLTB is accurate, so it hopefully won't overstay its welcome.

I found the humor to be in poor taste

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Real hurthling! posted:

I found the humor to be in poor taste

You anally probe people so hard their brains pop out. Rated teen.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

404notfound posted:

Getting mad about gamerscore totals is real loving dumb, but I was under the impression that games had to have a certain amount as one of the, like, Xbox certification requirements or something. Has every game been granting 1000 total points just because that's what everyone else does?
1000 is the max for a standard release title, with 250 for most Xpacs. Most companies just use up the whole amount over the course of their game, especially since some of the early titles (Condemned comes to mind, I think the King Kong movie game as well) didn't and people's minds exploded for some reason.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I find that the quality of women I meet through online dating increases in direct correlation with my growing gamerscore, which I keep up to date at the top of my profile.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

So I’m looking to get into this Steep game, but everything I’ve read says the FPS boost only applies to the SERIES S. Not X. That can’t possibly be true can it?

I said come in! posted:

The Series X already has the targeted frame rate by default is what I believe that means.

I believe it got 60fps by default on one X at some point last year.

Cheevo chat, don't forget about that Doritos dinosaur game. Easiest and only full complete I've ever had.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheAnomaly posted:

1000 is the max for a standard release title, with 250 for most Xpacs. Most companies just use up the whole amount over the course of their game, especially since some of the early titles (Condemned comes to mind, I think the King Kong movie game as well) didn't and people's minds exploded for some reason.

Elder Scrolls Online has gone completely round the bend. I wouldn’t be surprised if it had over 4K now.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

Picked up Stuntman: Ignition for $3.50

How is it?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

I played it way back when it came out and there's a lot of trial and error but in that Tony Hawk zen focus kind of way where you're quickly restarting a bunch to try and nail the perfect combo that goes all the way through the whole level. Don't know if it still holds up today but I certainly enjoyed it back then, enough to get all the achievements in it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I played it enough tonight to 5 star/perfect string the first few stages and its still a hoot if you do like that type of game of retrying over and over to get a perfect run. Like zero load times now as well thankfully. The driving is simple, you wouldn't want to race in it, but that's not the point.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I remember in one of them having issues with the director callout of stunts in time to do them. Is that a thing?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Technical question if anyone has ran into this one

I can sign into Xbox live on Xbox one. But when trying to play a 360 game it will not “sign in”.

I have deleted profile and re downloaded.
I have deleted all local game saves.
Also cleared cache.

I have done that system reset/ keep all games and apps thing and that fixed it for exactly one session. Then it signed out. Im not trying to go through that process every single time.

Is there another possible solution? Online not giving me answers besides the above.

Also when did Xbox customer phone support change to banker hours?

I found out Xbox now has an “ask a gamer” thing where you live chat with bored Xbox players who have limited technical knowledge!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I really only achievements when they're used humorously, like the one you get in Wolfenstein II for killing Hitler and getting instadeath from his guards.

I laughed in Prey when I threw a recycler grenade at the ground to see what it does, recycled myself, and got an achievement called INTRINSIC VALUE

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m also playing more sunset overdrive for some reason and it really is just a beta test for Spider-Man. I really really dislike the attitude and look of the whole thing, it’s trying way too hard to say gently caress

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

swims posted:

Technical question if anyone has ran into this one

I can sign into Xbox live on Xbox one. But when trying to play a 360 game it will not “sign in”.

I have deleted profile and re downloaded.
I have deleted all local game saves.
Also cleared cache.

I have done that system reset/ keep all games and apps thing and that fixed it for exactly one session. Then it signed out. Im not trying to go through that process every single time.

Is there another possible solution? Online not giving me answers besides the above.

Also when did Xbox customer phone support change to banker hours?

I found out Xbox now has an “ask a gamer” thing where you live chat with bored Xbox players who have limited technical knowledge!

I really struggled getting this to work, but it was because it quickly closed out of the delete screen, so I thought the delete was really fast. Turns out I needed to go back into that screen to actually delete my profile. Other than that, I think that was the general process I used.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m also playing more sunset overdrive for some reason and it really is just a beta test for Spider-Man. I really really dislike the attitude and look of the whole thing, it’s trying way too hard to say gently caress

I love the aesthetic of the game, it looks like the type of game you'd see on a Dreamcast 3 if Sega still made hardware. Colorful games with sunny blue skies and [David Lynch]Golden Sunshine[/David Lynch] are awesome.

Also, they really should have had David Lynch's weather report videos playing on the billboards around the city. If the rumors of a sequel are true, that along with R&C would have me wanting to snag a PS5 before a hardware redesign.

In general gaming news, Valve has hinted that they'll be doing something unexpected in the future and a lot of people suspect there may be some kind of deal with Microsoft for Game Pass/Steam which seems unfeasible (how do you handle sales of titles on both stores?) but would be awesome, and we know Valve wants to expand into the living room ever since they made Steam boxes. Seems unlikely but with Phil Spencer's attitude it doesn't seem a complete impossibility. This is definitely wishful thinking on my part, it could just be a console port of Half Life: Alyx but that seems the most predictable guess and Valve hints otherwise so :shrug:

Team Fortress 3 would be awesome and unexpected :haw:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

In general gaming news, Valve has hinted that they'll be doing something unexpected in the future and a lot of people suspect there may be some kind of deal with Microsoft for Game Pass/Steam which seems unfeasible (how do you handle sales of titles on both stores?) but would be awesome, and we know Valve wants to expand into the living room ever since they made Steam boxes. Seems unlikely but with Phil Spencer's attitude it doesn't seem a complete impossibility. This is definitely wishful thinking on my part, it could just be a console port of Half Life: Alyx but that seems the most predictable guess and Valve hints otherwise so :shrug:

Team Fortress 3 would be awesome and unexpected :haw:
the most likely scenario involves half life alyx coming to some console company's vr line-up. valve's anti-cheat is being more heavily updated, and in the past they've worked with overwatch's dev team on better modeling. for networking the recent addition of steam datagram relay has been gaining a ton of traction, functionally valve route game traffic focusing on low latency, cross-plat is in the works:
https://twitter.com/ZPostFacto/status/1382351248729329664
for the gabe/spencer talks that come from the (now sealed) dx-3399 epic/apple lawsuit the section on them talking was from late 2019, don't read into that too much (same as the sony exclusives deal attempt)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Alyx comes to PSVR2, that would be cool as poo poo. It's a great game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gaben just did some q&a yesterday where he was asked about valve games on console and he said he'll have more info by the end of the year

this unearthed a memory of signing into my steam account on ps3 to play portal... 2?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

gaben just did some q&a yesterday where he was asked about valve games on console and he said he'll have more info by the end of the year

this unearthed a memory of signing into my steam account on ps3 to play portal... 2?
yeah you could also sign into steam via a psn account and i believe there was some cross-platform overlay/chat feature? it all vanished fairly quickly following the psn hack though

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for the gabe/spencer talks that come from the (now sealed) dx-3399 epic/apple lawsuit the section on them talking was from late 2019, don't read into that too much (same as the sony exclusives deal attempt)

I found that Epic/Sony thing funny because Epic was offering all this cash and then Sony's publishing their first-party games on Steam instead not long after. Would love to have seen Sweeney's reaction to that.

We are long overdue Team Fortress 3 (same style please!) and it would be a perfect GaaS title. Surprised TF2 never made it to XB1/PS4 since they updated so much on PC compared to the console release and Overwatch came along and in many ways did the same thing and went on to become a huge success. Seems like such a missed opportunity by Valve but I'm glad that they're making games again. Half Life Alyx looks incredible in so many ways (saw a playthrough of some guy who juggled all the way through the game) but VR isn't for me. Valve says it wouldn't work very well with controller input (although a fan-mode mod that does exactly that is apparently pretty good) so I would expect that yeah, if that's the news then they'll just say that's being ported to PS5. I really hope there would be more than that, though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's cool seeing quick resume on the menu now (you can add it as a group to the home screen). Had some stuff still in there from months ago lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Set my theme the xbox original. Sadly does not turn the actual layout into the original

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah you could also sign into steam via a psn account and i believe there was some cross-platform overlay/chat feature? it all vanished fairly quickly following the psn hack though

It was Portal 2 and let you do crossplay. I have a suspicion Im the only person on this forum to have used this feature.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I just got an Xbox series S and 3 years of game pass, it feels pretty good to have my next 3 years of gaming just kind dealt with for under $600.

I've just finished finally detaching myself from mobile gacha bullshit, so this daily login 'turn in your quests' crap is unwelcome, but I think I can safely ignore that.

Starting off with the star wars Jedi game. Modern games sure are pretty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SUNKOS posted:

We are long overdue Team Fortress 3 (same style please!) and it would be a perfect GaaS title. Surprised TF2 never made it to XB1/PS4 since they updated so much on PC compared to the console release and Overwatch came along and in many ways did the same thing and went on to become a huge success. Seems like such a missed opportunity by Valve but I'm glad that they're making games again.

TF2 on PC got so much updates because they didn’t have to bother with certification. They could have farted out an update every day if they wanted to.

I imagine hardware limitations were also an issue with console patches. Even when you ignore they were doing dumb poo poo like adding a rifle that had more polygons than a character model (and I believe it didn’t come with lower poly models for rendering at a distance either).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 12, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PatentPending posted:

I just got an Xbox series S and 3 years of game pass, it feels pretty good to have my next 3 years of gaming just kind dealt with for under $600.

I've just finished finally detaching myself from mobile gacha bullshit, so this daily login 'turn in your quests' crap is unwelcome, but I think I can safely ignore that.

To be fair, the quest turn in thing is for reward points that can be used to get yourself gift cards added to your Xbox account.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I also hope the Valve stuff is them putting all their stuff on Switch :allears:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's literally just Alyx on PSVR. They're super proud of it and want more people to play it. Valve isn't interested in doing anything else, and they're certainly not making any new games.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

PatentPending posted:

welcome to the good console

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd be stunned if its anything but Alyx on VR.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
they're skipping 3 and going right to Half-Life 4. it's a prequel to Blue Shift and plays more like Job Simulator than an FPS title. feel the exhilarating action as you scan your ID card to allow authorized scientists into the Sector 4 Laboratories. you'll get goosebumps as you discover a coffee spill inside a tram that could cause a slip and fall

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So there's an interesting issue with the Series X (and specifically the Series X), specifically when it comes to physical media.

Now it's been somewhat of a known thing that the Smart Delivery discs are largely just Xbox One version discs that fully redownload to give you the Series X versions. Basically, if your Series X is entirely offline, you can't install a proper Series X game from these discs at all (it would install the XB1 version and then when internet connected it would force-redownload the entire Series X version). Fine, but that's going to be fixed once games abandon last gen, right?

Except that's not how it's looking with the very few Series X-only discs that exist. MLB The Show 21 and NBA 2K21 both have separate Xbox One and Series X discs which are sold separately. However, in both cases, they are still only using dual-layered regular Blu-ray discs, with only 50 gigs of data on them. As these games are considerably larger than that, if you install them "offline" they wind up in a perpertual "installation incomplete" state where they'll launch but only with tutorial and a very basic scrimmage mode with two specific teams you can't select. The from-disc download required for NBA 2K21 is 83.8 gigs currently on Series X (it's about 35 gigs on PS5 from its disc due to post-launch updates).

PS5-specific discs appear to use either dual-layered UHD discs (66 gigs of storage) or triple-layered UHD discs (100 gigs of storage).

So it's a curious question what will happen when "next gen only" games start appearing and what that will mean for these consoles in the cases where games exceed 50 gigs of data. Will Microsoft actually update to allow for 100 gig discs? Will they ship discs on multiple BD-50s? Because right now I'm fairly certain absolutely everything on Series X requires the internet and XBL connectivity to install, one way or another.

I already know all of the regular posters here have pristine internet and have embraced the all-digital future so enjoy, but Series X isn't currently a console for any sort of disc-only preservationist mindset.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That sounds loving crazy tbqh, and it's a little bit surprising that there's no guarantee that you get an actual full game install from a disc. Like a lot of "physical" pc game media went the way of download codes in game boxes, but the disc only containing a basic installer or a fraction of the assets, necessitating an online install, definitely seems a lot more deceptive and lovely. why even have a disc drive if that's going to be the use of it? I guess 4k blu rays are still a thing so... ok

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mean there's still value, in a sense, with your game license being a physical thing (so you can resell it, trade it, borrow it etc.), but even going back to 2013 there were a number of Xbox games that effectively nuke the entire game install in an update and redownload the whole thing. So stuff like Overwatch if you get it on disc and pop it into your Xbox it'll only copy about 200 megs from the disc and it'll download the rest. It's just a bit weird because on Series X effectively all games operate this way now. Maybe the retail version of Devil May Cry 5 Series X spares you a beefy download?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
lol brb pouring one out for my destiny 1/2 collector's edition discs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whats stopping a game just coming out on uhd blueray tho? Are you saying that the console cant read it as currently set up, bee?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats stopping a game just coming out on uhd blueray tho? Are you saying that the console cant read it as currently set up, bee?
Sounds like it's not been done yet so nobody knows?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh ok cause it was sounding :tinfoil:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

It's a weird thing to be sure.

Again, both MLB The Show 21 and NBA 2K21 explicitly ship on UHD discs for PS5, in fact I think the PS5 might legit require games to be on UHD discs.

I wonder if it's some safety measure to prevent someone from putting a Series X disc into an Xbox One and having the disc get stuck due to read issues, although that's an extreme solution to that kind of issue.

I guess if there were a legit requirement currently for games to be on BD50s they could ship games on multiple discs like they already do for stuff like Cyberpunk and RDR2. I also imagine they could patch the system eventually to support UHD discs for games since we know it supports UHD discs as-is for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

That sounds loving crazy tbqh, and it's a little bit surprising that there's no guarantee that you get an actual full game install from a disc. Like a lot of "physical" pc game media went the way of download codes in game boxes, but the disc only containing a basic installer or a fraction of the assets, necessitating an online install, definitely seems a lot more deceptive and lovely. why even have a disc drive if that's going to be the use of it? I guess 4k blu rays are still a thing so... ok

No sense in splurging on more expensive media when you can offload that onto the customer by having them buy a memory card and download the data themselves. Many publishers do this on Switch by providing only part of the game on the cart (L.A. Noire, Wolfenstein 2, Mortal Kombat 11 and more). Also really cool to buy a physical version of a game collection but only one of the games is on it, the rest are downloadable.

This only happens because Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo allow it to happen. They allow it because it keeps the publishers happy.