Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sentinel Red posted:

Exactly! Make that game tomorrow and it’ll sell. Hard boiled, middle aged spread birdman ‘tec working the wards, Garrus Murtagh is too old for your poo poo. Pair him up with a young Alliance hotshot and off they go busting a big red sand smuggling ring on Zakera. Throw in Udina trying to pull a diplomatic immunity and we’re golden.

Disco Elysium: C-sec Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sentinel Red posted:

I still don't 'get' the whole 'crouch against a wall-reload-you are now floating in the air' thing. How do they even discover this poo poo? There was a good 45 seconds where the guy is just walking through an empty void with nothing to indicate a correct direction to head in before suddenly finding themselves above the Hot Labs or the Normandy. Reminded me of a Metroid Prime run that was similarly ridiculous.
When you save it saves your X/Y position, but not whether you're crouching or not. Normally you can't crouch out of combat arenas and you can't quick save in combat. So when you load it loads you in standing up, oh no, your feet are now below the ground and we have to put you on something. Let's look 25 miles below you until we find a collision box.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm 100 percent okay with the ending remaining unchanged in this because I had no expectations anything like that would be substantively altered in a remaster and neither should any of you. But ME4 is definitely retconning Shep's death one way or another and I'm not gonna be mad about it.

Shepard doesn't die in Destroy, and the ME4/5 preview video flies through a busted relay, and has a big reaper corpse in the background.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

here's how it should have ended: Shepard activates the Crucible and a bolt of blue energy streams out. cut to Reapers on Earth, Tuchanka, Thessia, shooting red lasers at the people fighting. just before the lasers kill them, the Crucible energy intervenes to block the lasers! but it's not enough, the lasers start to break through. the Crucible energy attacks the Reapers, causing even more destruction to everyone around. in despair Shepard, watching from the window, says "Holy is having the opposite effect! Forget Reapers, we have to worry about the planet!" suddenly green tendrils of energy emerge from the surface of the different planets, converging on the battle, protecting those caught in the crossfire. Shepard averts their eyes as all three energies combine and everything turns white. the last shot of the game is Aeris looking straight at the camera

then the stargazer scene plays

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Exactly! Make that game tomorrow and it’ll sell. Hard boiled, middle aged spread birdman ‘tec working the wards, Garrus Murtagh is too old for your poo poo. Pair him up with a young Alliance hotshot and off they go busting a big red sand smuggling ring on Zakera. Throw in Udina trying to pull a diplomatic immunity and we’re golden.

One really huge missed opportunity for Bioware is that they rather than nuking everything, even if they didn't want to continue Shepard's story, had a real opportunity to make a bunch of little side story games that people would've ate up.

Would've been a great opportunity for something like a "Tales of the Mass Effect" kinda thing

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 12, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah nah ME as a universe has an absurd level of potential for just endlessly making stupid fun little games in it and the total nuke was pretty wtf. Even I, the guy who thinks endings wish chat is the dumbest thing on this planet, agree with that point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Elvis_Maximus posted:

One really huge missed opportunity for Bioware is that they rather than nuking everything, even if they didn't want to continue Shepard's story, had a real opportunity to make a bunch of little side story games that people would've ate up.

Would've been a great opportunity for something like a "Tales of the Mass Effect" kinda thing

It’s honestly fascinating that they threw that away given that everything these days is the X Cinematic Universe. It’s free money BioWare!!!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah nah ME as a universe has an absurd level of potential for just endlessly making stupid fun little games in it and the total nuke was pretty wtf. Even I, the guy who thinks endings wish chat is the dumbest thing on this planet, agree with that point.

Look, there are only so many things to talk about with the three games so shitposting stupid alternate endings is a fun way to pass the time. Which is why the real ending should have been Shepard fusing with the geth I to Shepard Prime Juggernaut and giving Harbinger as swirlie in the Pacific.

But that's also a symptom of your real point. Mass Effect is one of the most incredible sci Fi setting of the last 20-30 years. There is so much potential for so many amazing stories and spinoffs but the nature of the trilogy makes it night impossible for a sequel. Yet the IP could have been farmed out to all kinds of different game styles in different genres. Give me a company of heroes style game during the Rachni wars, or a space combat game during the Krogan rebellions, or a rogue like as a spectre trying to take down a crime syndicate astroid base, or anything else that lets us enjoy the setting more.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Look, there are only so many things to talk about with the three games so shitposting stupid alternate endings is a fun way to pass the time. Which is why the real ending should have been Shepard fusing with the geth I to Shepard Prime Juggernaut and giving Harbinger as swirlie in the Pacific.

But that's also a symptom of your real point. Mass Effect is one of the most incredible sci Fi setting of the last 20-30 years. There is so much potential for so many amazing stories and spinoffs but the nature of the trilogy makes it night impossible for a sequel. Yet the IP could have been farmed out to all kinds of different game styles in different genres. Give me a company of heroes style game during the Rachni wars, or a space combat game during the Krogan rebellions, or a rogue like as a spectre trying to take down a crime syndicate astroid base, or anything else that lets us enjoy the setting more.

How is it impossible to make a sequel? The trailer for the new game looks like they're doing exactly the correct thing for an interesting sequel, by not overcomplicating it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't make the mistake of thinking there are any good writers left at Bioware in 2021. Or exec tier who would listen to or endorse said writers.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's hard to understand how you'd screw up the pretty straight forward plot outlines of a post-Destroy Mass Effect sequel, or Dragon Age 4, but I'm excited to see what stupid poo poo they do.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

1) Bioware did do a Mass Effect expanded universe: a bunch of crappy books, mobile games and an anime. bear in mind Bioware isn't Disney and can't churn out multiple games adapted from pre-existing material in rapid succession - Bioware also has Dragon Age and The Old Republic (and Anthem, lmao) IPs to manage, plus whatever other drudge work EA throws its way

2) I remember some market research got leaked after ME3 floating the idea of prequels and sidequels set in the Mass Effect universe, and the fan response was overwhelmingly negative - demanding a proper sequel presumably as a way to force Bioware to own the ME3 ending. hence the choice to start over in Andromeda

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nichael posted:

How is it impossible to make a sequel? The trailer for the new game looks like they're doing exactly the correct thing for an interesting sequel, by not overcomplicating it.

The reapers are a giant paradigm shift in setting. And with the branching paths it's impossible for the majority of player endings to ever be a canonical sequel.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lt. Danger posted:

1) Bioware did do a Mass Effect expanded universe: a bunch of crappy books, mobile games and an anime. bear in mind Bioware isn't Disney and can't churn out multiple games adapted from pre-existing material in rapid succession - Bioware also has Dragon Age and The Old Republic (and Anthem, lmao) IPs to manage, plus whatever other drudge work EA throws its way

2) I remember some market research got leaked after ME3 floating the idea of prequels and sidequels set in the Mass Effect universe, and the fan response was overwhelmingly negative - demanding a proper sequel presumably as a way to force Bioware to own the ME3 ending. hence the choice to start over in Andromeda

Would fans really have a problem with something like Garrus's adventure in Omega between ME1 and ME2? Would be a really fun self contained story with a set beginning and end but wide possibility of characters, plot stories, and fun gameplay inbetween as Garrus gets a crew, tries to make a difference, and then looses it all at the very end with moral choices to make all along the way.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

DancingShade posted:

Don't make the mistake of thinking there are any good writers left at Bioware in 2021. Or exec tier who would listen to or endorse said writers.

Weekes is in charge of DA4. I have hope. A foolish hope

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I loved their on-the-spot fanfic about what happens if you don’t recruit Garrus and how just stays at C-SEC and is broken by his miserable dead-end job and winds up a pudgy middle aged dude with a wife and kids and a mortgage he’s struggling to pay off.

I enjoyed this too. I would actually play it if they made it a joke game/spin-off.

DourCricket posted:

Earth just needed to be much more reactive to your choices through the Trilogy, something modders were hard at work on.

Also axeil your avatar is... just horrifying.

Someone bought it for me, I have no idea who.

I like it because it's basically red text inoculation. No one can come up with an av more horrible than...that.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 12, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
all of this forgets that there actually *is* handling for what happens if you ignore Garrus and don't take him on your crew, because he still has to show up as archangel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently a lot of his dialogue still acts as if you recruited him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently a lot of his dialogue still acts as if you recruited him.

It basically has to. His entire character is being the long time buddy cop to Shepard.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm 100 percent okay with the ending remaining unchanged in this because I had no expectations anything like that would be substantively altered in a remaster and neither should any of you. But ME4 is definitely retconning Shep's death one way or another and I'm not gonna be mad about it.

Didn't you get enough Warscore and pick the red ending? Shep doesn't die

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Realistically where does Shepard even end up where they don't die after Destroy. I guess somehow gets thrown into a piece of the Citadel that somehow maintains air pressure after blowing up and somehow gets found before the piece they're in gets thrown into deep space/Earth/the sun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZombyDog posted:

Didn't you get enough Warscore and pick the red ending? Shep doesn't die

I guess they can go ahead and make the Easter egg ending canon but it's not the only way it could be addressed. :speculate:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Doctor Nutt posted:

I guess they can go ahead and make the Easter egg ending canon but it's not the only way it could be addressed. :speculate:

Mass Effect 4 should open with Anderson shooting an indoctrinated Shepard obeying a nonexistent star child and then Anderson activating the crucible and wiping out the reapers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shepard wakes up in the room where all the other citadel characters in 3 ended up nice and safe.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Cinematic ip universes loving suck and the one good thing about the original nonextended cut ending is that it put a cap on poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thrilla in vanilla posted:

It’s almost as good as the “giant Shepard robit should vanguard charge harbinger” “idea” post.

Mass effect was a mistake. I’m sorry everyone

My favorite version of that is where they just build the head and right arm of Shepard to go punch Harbinger

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I always thought at the end when your team is gathered around the Normandy memorial wall, they missed a golden opportunity to have the tile say your full chosen name instead of SHEPARD. It looks goofy as is and surely wouldn't have been that hard to implement. Would have been more emotional (or at least funny if you were playing as PeePeePooPoo Shepard)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
When do reviews for this come out?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

I still don't 'get' the whole 'crouch against a wall-reload-you are now floating in the air' thing. How do they even discover this poo poo? There was a good 45 seconds where the guy is just walking through an empty void with nothing to indicate a correct direction to head in before suddenly finding themselves above the Hot Labs or the Normandy. Reminded me of a Metroid Prime run that was similarly ridiculous.

This kind of bug is pretty common in games, since saving/loading is a much more difficult process than you'd think, so it's likely one of the first things speedrunners check when looking for glitches they can abuse to get outside the map boundries.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Spacebump posted:

When do reviews for this come out?

Apparently copies have only been going out sporadically these past couple days, not sure when the embargo actually is, but it'll be a while before we get full reviews I think.

SettingSun posted:

It basically has to. His entire character is being the long time buddy cop to Shepard.

I really love how this is addressed in Shadow Broker and in 3 as well - Garrus needed Shepard to kickstart him but he can't really reach his full potential while she's around since he's just overshadowed. See how Shepard is grounded for 6 months and he goes from outlaw Omega Batman to quite high up the chain of command in the Turian Hierarchy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

Mods?????

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This kind of bug is pretty common in games, since saving/loading is a much more difficult process than you'd think, so it's likely one of the first things speedrunners check when looking for glitches they can abuse to get outside the map boundries.
Behind the veil, games are held together with duct tape. One bug that sticks in my memory is in the original God of War. That game disguised loading with long hallways. Someone figured out the dodge rolling is very slightly faster than walking. So this meant that Kratos could get to the next area before it loads and boom, out of bounds.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Behind the veil, games are held together with duct tape. One bug that sticks in my memory is in the original God of War. That game disguised loading with long hallways. Someone figured out the dodge rolling is very slightly faster than walking. So this meant that Kratos could get to the next area before it loads and boom, out of bounds.

This makes me think of that bit in the Animatrix where the sprinter is so fast he runs outside the Matrix.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Behind the veil, software is held together with duct tape.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Where we're going, we don't need code!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DourCricket posted:

Apparently copies have only been going out sporadically these past couple days, not sure when the embargo actually is, but it'll be a while before we get full reviews I think.

But people who do have it aren't reporting any performance issues, even without the big patch that hasn't landed yet.

And content wise, well you already know that.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
103.8gb preload is up on Steam now for what it's worth

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I don't really want more Mass Effect stuff that touches on Shepard at all, because I'm very afraid that Bioware is going to decide on a canon Shepard and it will be a straight white dude with short brown hair, exactly what they did with Revan.

Leaving me, who played Revan as a black gay woman and Shepard as an East Asian gay woman, feeling distinctly out of sorts.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Cinematic ip universes loving suck and the one good thing about the original nonextended cut ending is that it put a cap on poo poo.

I don't disagree but let's say I'm surprised a company owned by Electronic Arts put that cap on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Couldn’t they do it where your new player character in the tutorial gets told “hey we’re looking for Shepard, you know who that is right?” And we customize a picture of them or import our old one if that’s possible?

That’s presuming that the new Mass Effect is looking for Shepard and we aren’t just playing as them again.