Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nut posted:

do u guys have beer's poems?

not yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I don’t believe that Tom Hanks sacrifices kids and drinks their adrenochrome

You say this, but I did lol when watching pisspoor 2020 film Greyhound (atrociously bad script by T. Hanks) and a crewman called Epstein showed up in it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
are you sure the crewman wasn't named Epstine?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Stevie Lee posted:

anyone else starting to get the feeling that trump's term put some plans on hold

Sure, but in what specific sense?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

whats so funny?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Sure, but in what specific sense?

just thinking about Palestine in particular.

also the "ransomware" attack on Colonial Pipeline has sirens going off in my crack-pinged brain but I don't know how to make sense of it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

are you sure the crewman wasn't named Epstine?

I get a fresh ping every time this comes up

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

just thinking about Palestine in particular.

also the "ransomware" attack on Colonial Pipeline has sirens going off in my crack-pinged brain but I don't know how to make sense of it

I don't know about that. If anything, the Trump admin would have been more favorable to an all out assault on Palestine like this. I think timing just didn't line up is all.

edit: I don't get the Epstine thing. Like, we know who his parents were. I think it was more likely a spelling to teach the students how to pronounce his name (not Ep-Steen) or someone else wrote it in his classroom and made the error. I mean, I dunno maybe it is something, but I don't know why the guy would need to assume a new identity to do what he did.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know if you're going to get one with a listening device or cone shell venom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Saucer Hovers posted:

whats so funny?

its just navel gazing imo whenever someone says that based off all my drug experiences

you know what i learned on acid? don't have a poo poo on acid its a horrible experience

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know if you're going to get one with a listening device or cone shell venom

"It was nice meeting you Mr. Epstine. You sure do have a lot of lovely children. Well bye now!" *drives away from little st james in shrimp boat*

*to the lady on the bus bench* "30 years later, that man hung himself in a prison cell..."

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't know about that. If anything, the Trump admin would have been more favorable to an all out assault on Palestine like this. I think timing just didn't line up is all.

maybe.

also just did some light googling on colonial pipelines, and their current president/ceo was on the board for unocal for over a decade. probably nothing though haha

quote:

Unocal seems to have had a deeper role. Intelligence "whistleblower" Julie Sirrs claimed that anti-Taliban leader Ahmad Shah Massoud told her he had "proof that Unocal had provided money that helped the Taliban take Kabul [in 1996]".[17] And French journalist Richard Labeviere said, referring to the later 1990s, "The CIA and Unocal's security forces ... provided military weapons and instructors to several Taleban militia[s] ..."[18] US State Department officials openly promoted the pipeline, and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger served as a Unocal consultant.[17]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stevie Lee posted:

the attack didn't actually damage anything - they shut it down as a "precaution"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Jose posted:

its just navel gazing imo whenever someone says that based off all my drug experiences

you know what i learned on acid? don't have a poo poo on acid its a horrible experience

yeah sounds like an empathetic and nuanced jose take, all others experience reducible to my own etc.

gently caress off

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yeah sounds like an empathetic and nuanced jose take, all others experience reducible to my own etc.

gently caress off

he's right about taking a poo poo on acid though

e: https://twitter.com/DaybookJobs/status/1392474130264457219?s=20

lmfao

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:25 on May 12, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

the attack didn't actually damage anything - they shut it down as a "precaution"

yeah the conspiracy here is the normal American one where corporations take any and every excuse now to gently caress poo poo up and reap profits

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

he's right about taking a poo poo on acid though

undoubtably

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TrixRabbi posted:

edit: I don't get the Epstine thing. Like, we know who his parents were. I think it was more likely a spelling to teach the students how to pronounce his name (not Ep-Steen) or someone else wrote it in his classroom and made the error. I mean, I dunno maybe it is something, but I don't know why the guy would need to assume a new identity to do what he did.

yes those are normal and mundane explanations for a normal and mundane man.

in a vacuum no one would even have noticed. but it's like the perfect little weird cherry on top of the mountain of weird ice cream that is EPSTINE

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah the conspiracy here is the normal American one where corporations take any and every excuse now to gently caress poo poo up and reap profits

I think it's good to remember so much of this poo poo is improv. Like the system is built for them to win and sustain the blows, it's just about deciding what to do next or stacking the deck for the next crisis. That's why I'm fairly skeptical about any sorta controlled demolition plot re: 9/11. It's just much more easily explained by the Bush admin seeing a crisis coming, doing nothing to prevent it, then pulling Plan 5C from the files of potential war plans and putting it into play.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I think it's good to remember so much of this poo poo is improv. Like the system is built for them to win and sustain the blows, it's just about deciding what to do next or stacking the deck for the next crisis. That's why I'm fairly skeptical about any sorta controlled demolition plot re: 9/11. It's just much more easily explained by the Bush admin seeing a crisis coming, doing nothing to prevent it, then pulling Plan 5C from the files of potential war plans and putting it into play.

yeah or even when there is aligned action it’s driven by systems of incentives.

Like the texas blackout before the most recent one happened to occur on the first weekend that a new maximum price for electricity went into effect in texas.

The official reason was sure, it got too cold to operate or whatever, but yes indeed the price hit the new maximum cap and power producers made way more money than they would if the plants had stayed on.

Now did the power producers get together and say “let’s pretend to freeze poo poo so we can reap $$$$” probably not. They just instead acted on the same incentives facing them all: they can reduce maintenance costs at the lovely plants and get paid big bucks for their newer plants if one of the lovely plants goes down, and even bigger bucks if it is weather related and causes other lovely plants to shut down too.

No collusion required when the systems around you are designed for these outcomes.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jose posted:

Is your one experience somehow more knowledgeable than thousands of years of entheogen usage?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is your one experience somehow more knowledgeable than thousands of years of entheogen usage?

I have some bad news for you w/r/t stuff people have believed for thousands of years

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

whats so funny?

The highly subjective drug didn't help him meaningfuly so he mocks others when they talk about it is my guess

do more acid idiot

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

No collusion required when the systems around you are designed for these outcomes.

Yes, and this may be splitting hairs, but the system is designed like this through collusion. The pipes are designed to fail because that’s how the owners wanted it, they can also jack up prices when the weather predicts a poo poo load of snow because that’s what the system allows.

If there is one lesson to learn from the Epstein thread, it’s that America’s system isn’t failing, it’s working as intended. From crumbling infrastructure to spooks putting LSD in the water to pedophiles who mysteriously become billionaires, this is a system built by a moneyed elite and the thugs that serve them. It requires their collusion for the system to run, and requires the collusion of the poor and working classes to dismantle it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Yes, and this may be splitting hairs, but the system is designed like this through collusion. The pipes are designed to fail because that’s how the owners wanted it, they can also jack up prices when the weather predicts a poo poo load of snow because that’s what the system allows.

If there is one lesson to learn from the Epstein thread, it’s that America’s system isn’t failing, it’s working as intended. From crumbling infrastructure to spooks putting LSD in the water to pedophiles who mysteriously become billionaires, this is a system built by a moneyed elite and the thugs that serve them. It requires their collusion for the system to run, and requires the collusion of the poor and working classes to dismantle it.

I do think there is an important distinction between let’s say, collusion through systems and incentives and collusion through direct collaboration.

because often the gullible or willfully ignorant point to the lack of direct collaboration as proof that collusion can’t be occurring at all. And that’s one of the chief defenses of the system, by using systems and incentives they can wash their hands and correctly say “ah we never called the regulator and said go retroactively raise the price of electricity” because they don’t need to, and not needing to provides cover both for the public and for the people on the inside.

the system is stronger precisely because the regulator thinks they’re retroactively raising the price of electricity for the good of the market rather than as a corrupt dealing, even if the outcome is the same, down to the revolving door appointments.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Yes that’s very true.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Not everything is an op, sometimes poo poo just happens.

However, everything will be used by capital to profit. House always wins, baby.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Simon put out a fun little video about the history of brain implant mind control. Delgado's experiments mostly failed as effective treatment for neurological disorders, but I'm sure the technology has only improved since then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuXhbSEkfk

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Excelzior posted:

I have some bad news for you w/r/t stuff people have believed for thousands of years

Surely people must be getting some use out of these aside from navel gazing? Why else would there be such a concentrated effort to demonize them? Government only recently deciding that people can't protect themselves from "navel gazing"?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

gently caress off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fried Watermelon posted:

Surely people must be getting some use out of these aside from navel gazing? Why else would there be such a concentrated effort to demonize them? Government only recently deciding that people can't protect themselves from "navel gazing"?

governments don';t like people having fun

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In Epstein news:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ellen-degeneres-show-end-1234951571/

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

quote:

If the opposing force can be made less adaptive, more predictable, more consistent then it will be easier to contain or constrain their activity. Consequently, it may be important to mitigate the adaptivity of the opposing force in order to minimize the need for both adaptability and high performance. Thus, we turn the question on its head and ask, “How can we inhibit adaptation?”

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

it absolutely loving owns that the CIA have to produce ads to get applicants. The failsons and daughters at Yale and Harvard has ascended to trash even in their eyes.

It's probably because too many people in the pool they'd have normally recruited from (i.e. normies) have developed opinions because the material conditions of the American social landscape have gotten worse in the past several years, and Trumpism has poisoned the next generation of malleable recruits.

Look at the quality of the Simpsons. That's who they'd be hiring traditionally.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

anyone else starting to get the feeling that trump's term put some plans on hold

In that Biden has already decided to pull troops out of Afghanistan and is probably looking for somewhere new to park them, sure.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

In that Biden has already decided to pull troops out of Afghanistan and is probably looking for somewhere new to park them, sure.

Lol Afghanistan is JFK documents level of Charlie Brown and the football

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jose posted:

lmao. you go and then for an hour or two afterward you get echoes where it feels like the poop is sliding out again

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

cagliostr0 posted:

Lol Afghanistan is JFK documents level of Charlie Brown and the football

It happens every time there's some bad press. A popular article about drones killing and maiming thousands of civilians, Zero Dark Thirty being too transparently propaganda and also bad, et al. After that Onion headline came true it was just a matter of time. It's only said so that popular rags can publish garbage saying if we leave now it'll actually be worse. Professional class liberals get to bring that up at dinner to sound smart and nuanced and the machine keeps on turning baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what onion headline