Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

What the gently caress, thats so dumb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^^^ wolf tickets

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I know Canelo is heavier than Mayweather but gently caress I want to see that fight. Give them 100m a piece, what does it matter to me. It will make literally a billion space bucks.

I could watch that matchup forever.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 12, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A rematch with Canelo is absolutely the bridge too far for Floyd, but I guess that doesn't mean he wouldn't do it. I'd say he's too smart but pride is wierd.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

A rematch with Canelo is absolutely the bridge too far for Floyd, but I guess that doesn't mean he wouldn't do it. I'd say he's too smart but pride is wierd.

I want to see Floyd knocked out* and I'll pay for it goddamnit.

*Not a forgone conclusion.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 12, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m think Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time but Canelo right now would probably beat the gently caress out of him.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

I’m think Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time but Canelo right now would probably beat the gently caress out of him.

I'm not sure - I have no idea how Mayweather has been training in 'retirement'. As much as we give poo poo to Mayweather that dude is a boxer through and through and I guarantee he's still training pretty loving hard.

Mayweather's Philly shell defense is pretty much a hard counter to Canelo.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 12, 2021

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I'd like Canelo's chances in a rematch but I have a hard time seeing Floyd pass up the easy money of fighting exhibitions vs youtubers, MMA fighters, and Japanese children to risk his 0 and his health for a fight with someone he's already beaten

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kaddish posted:

Mayweather's Philly shell defense is pretty much a hard counter to Canelo.
Could Canelo execute a Maidana gameplan? The size would help.

If he can't corner Floyd, I tend to agree, that he's not slick enough to get real points or damage on Floyd [the last version we've seen].

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just can't believe it; age comes for everyone and Canelo now is bigger, stronger, probably has faster reflexes, and is so much more experienced than their first fight. Can Mayweather even command respect with his punches today? He fought, what, 18 lbs lighter against McGregor than Canelo is now?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Could Canelo execute a Maidana gameplan? The size would help.

If he can't corner Floyd, I tend to agree, that he's not slick enough to get real points or damage on Floyd [the last version we've seen].

Pressure and cornering against Mayweather has been the plan for like 30 his opponents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, Floyd's game is crucially reflex based, so even a small slip would get him eating jabs like never before, even if he can dodge the rest.
But if he has that in a hypothetical rematch, it would still be a point scoring victory for him.

Kaddish posted:

Pressure and cornering against Mayweather has been the plan for like 30 his opponents.

Yes, but 1) there is a fighter that could win on it. Maybe not alive, and not Maidana and maybe not Canelo, but the plan obviously has merit.
2) Clearly Canelo is growing into one of the best to do it, even if he's not necessarily shapeable into that archetype of fighter.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 12, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also doesn't Floyd hate fighting another counter puncher?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wouldn’t even consider Canelo in Floyd’s weight class anymore. He’s a monster now. Did Mayweather ever fight at 160+?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

I wouldn’t even consider Canelo in Floyd’s weight class anymore. He’s a monster now. Did Mayweather ever fight at 160+?

Edit: I believe he was 149 against McGregor.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, but 1) there is a fighter that could win on it. Maybe not alive, and not Maidana and maybe not Canelo, but the plan obviously has merit.
2) Clearly Canelo is growing into one of the best to do it, even if he's not necessarily shapeable into that archetype of fighter.

Yes, I think Canelo can do it today, May 12 in the year our Lord 2021, and that's why I want to see it. I don't see it happening though. Unless they give Canelo the Mayweather payday. Then who knows. But Canelo is still boxing, still defending/getting titles.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 12, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just love boxing again.

So many good bouts in the last few years.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

boop the snoot posted:

Canelo is now several weight classes higher than Floyd ever was, so uh, yeah.

Canelo @ 168 still loses to Roy Jones, Andre Ward, Joe Calzaghe at least.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Didn't Floyd indirectly acknowledge after the Canelo fight that he fought Canelo then because he saw him as a developing generational talent, wanted to fight him before his prime, and be the one L on Canelo's record?

Like, not explicitly, but in a roundabout way through his answers to other questions, I mean. Am I misremembering something

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At the time it seemed canelo wasn’t ready yet which is why floyd pushed for it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I don't think Floyd would fight Canelo right now, but what would make y'all think Canelo wouldn't have to cut down to Floyd's weight?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think if they meet somewhere in the middle the fighter that cuts down is going to regain a lot of the weight by the time of the fight. But I mostly think Floyd is 44.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

yeah i don’t think mayweather, who was cherrypicking his matches to get to 50-0, is especially interested in coming out of retirement for real to fight the p4p #1 who he already beat

it’s a huge bummer but canelo doesn’t have the name recognition and box office pull of random non boxing athlete or meathead youtuber

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mayweather-Canelo II would have been huge back in 2016 or so, with Mayweather coming off the Pacquiao win and fighting for the lineal middleweight championship Canelo had picked up against Cotto. Floyd went with easy money against Conor instead though and who can blame him?

My personal stance is that the Alvarez in Golovkin I would have lost to a (35-year-old) Floyd Mayweather and the Alvarez in Golovkin II would have won against him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh and it sounds like Fury-Joshua is looking likely for August 14th in Saudi Arabia according to Bob Arum.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Oh and it sounds like Fury-Joshua is looking likely for August 14th in Saudi Arabia according to Bob Arum.

Can’t wait!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

The Ninth Layer posted:

just for imagination’s sake, how much do we think it would cost to attend this fight? including airfare, hotel, etc. $4000 USD? Though I figure it’s probably an arena with a lot of seats so maybe tickets wouldn’t be as much as I think.

Either way, I’m glad the fight is actually happening. Though, gently caress Saudi Arabia.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Your guess is as good as mine honestly. Tickets for Joshua-Ruiz II also in Saudi Arabia started at $131 but I would not be surprised if Fury-Joshua tickets started closer to the $2000 mark or higher, before resale. For what it's worth, this could be the kind of fight where in theory tickets are made available to the general audience but in practice unless you're an oil baron's relative or an ambassador you're probably not gonna get one.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Joshua is far more skilled than Wilder and has that mean uppercut. This seems like it'll be another Fury-Klitschko where Fury uses his movement and range rather than the wrecking ball approach used in the second fight against Wilder. I am sure he'll lean on Joshua like crazy in the clinches. It might not be a spectacular fight to watch, even though I will be pleased to see it finally happen.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That Manuel Charr vs Chris Lovejoy fight may be the worst fight I’ve ever seen. Not sure how Lovejoy ended up 19-0 with 19 KOs, he looked totally inept in there, and completely quit the first time Charr landed anything of note. Charr didn’t look much better, but at least he looked like a legitimate professional boxer of some level.

Charr remains the “WBA World Champion in Recess”, whatever the gently caress that means. Not sure why he wasn’t able to fight in the last 3.5 years either.

Just a humiliating situation for the WBA.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

That Manuel Charr vs Chris Lovejoy fight may be the worst fight I’ve ever seen. Not sure how Lovejoy ended up 19-0 with 19 KOs, he looked totally inept in there, and completely quit the first time Charr landed anything of note. Charr didn’t look much better, but at least he looked like a legitimate professional boxer of some level.

Charr remains the “WBA World Champion in Recess”, whatever the gently caress that means. Not sure why he wasn’t able to fight in the last 3.5 years either.

Just a humiliating situation for the WBA.

lovejoy fought all 19 fights in mexico with no footage

make of that what you will (the wba is a fuckin joke lmao)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/746640

look at this poo poo lmfao not even can crushing, he’s crushing something much flimsier than cans, maybe juiceboxes

i clicked on three at random and they’re all round 1 tkos

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

lovejoy fought all 19 fights in mexico with no footage

Did Lovejoy's manager write this?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14955716/heavyweight-chris-lovejoy-manuel-charr-fights-mexico/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there are just so many red flags everywhere on that page

even without looking at the guys he's faced he's got more fights in bars than in gyms/arenas and five times he's fought two straight weekends

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
You may not like it but this is what heavyweight world championship boxing is all about

https://twitter.com/TimBoxeo/status/1393662236556677121

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I love that aborted cartwheel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

lmao

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Re: Lovejoy and Charr

Jump King posted:

Don King has a few other guys like this going on. Christopher Lovejoy was a good example recently. Lovejoy is an american heavyweight who started fighting professionally at age 32. 5 years later, he has 19 pro wins, every single one of them being knockout wins in Tijuana. Only one of his opponents had a winning record, and it was in the 90s. 8 of his opponents had never won a fight before. His record is a joke, and I'm being pretty generous in believing these fights actually happened and were legitimate contests. This is the most extreme version of the thing I was talking about earlier, you build a long record of phantom fights in Mexican barrooms until some more legitimate heavyweight looking for an easy win selects you to show up and collect a cheque. And hey you know, if you've been spending the years actually training in boxing you might even win. It just takes one punch at heavyweight, and if a fighter has to stoop so low they pick you for a challenger they might be something of an illusion as well. Lovejoy's day came when Eddie Hearn reached out and tried to book him in a televised fight against Dave Allen, a lacklustre but very popular fighter in the UK. Lovejoy packed his bags and immediately left for England, but just before the fight happens Don King calls in and shuts everything down, saying that he actually has Lovejoy under contract. This caught everybody by surprise, even Lovejoy, who assumed his contract was void after Don King didn't promote any fights for him, but that's what happens when you sign a Don King contract baby. (I think my favourite part of this is the reveal that Lovejoy's definitely real fights against 50 year old Mexicans weren't actually organized by Don King, he was doing it himself) Don King explained to Hearn that Lovejoy was supposed to fight another one of his heavyweights: Trevor Bryan. This wasn't actually in the works at all, but I guess it was a nice thought that King had in between meltdowns about trump losing the election. Hearn offered to schedule Bryan a spot on one of his upcoming televised cards if he'd let Lovejoy fight Allen. AFAIK this is a good deal btw, it basically accomplishes everything King wants in building up Bryan towards a potential money fight with a real heavyweight. Obviously King rejects this offer, deciding that his own machinations will be more productive.

So that's Stiverne and Bryan, who ended up fighting each other last night. But, if you recall the very legit poster for last night's event you'll notice that fight isn't even on the menu:

I guess "Fighters subject to change" is fair warning, although quite literally none of the three advertised fights ended up happening.

Stiverne was originally just being brought in to fight Lovejoy, and tbh I don't even understand the purpose of this one. I've never seen Lovejoy fight. I don't think anybody has. Maybe he's got something, but I think its a fair assumption that even a completely out of shape Stiverne would give him the business. You might be surprised that Lovejoy was so immediately willing to work with King after King scrapped his last fight. Turns out Lovejoy was too, declining the fight until the money was his account. And there's legitimate reason for him to think King might not have the money as he spent $2mil to even get this event to happen. That was almost a year ago, and yesterday was the deadline King had to schedule the event to retain his promotional rights to the fight.

King isn't the only one in the business of useless heavyweights, another guy in promotional hell Manuel Charr, who managed to jimmy his way into the WBA regular championship position. If you're unfamiliar with the concept of "regular champion", its basically the WBA's secondary belt, with the "super champion" being the real title. Look, I mentioned that sanctioning bodies are ridiculously corrupt, and the WBA has been the worst for a while, they also have an excessive number of "interim champions" and sometimes just make up random belts to get money off of various fights. That's boxing for you. Well Charr's been the champion without a single defence since 2017, occaisonally teasing bouts with another professional nonfighter in Fres Oquendo. Look I'm not 100% on who is loving over who when it comes Charr's promotional situation, but its a mess in like 3 different ways regardless. Anyway, I guess somebody put their foot down and forced King to actually follow up on his threat of organizing Bryan vs Charr instead of going on about Bryan vs Lovejoy. So he threw this together.

This isn't a card made with the intention of producing a good fight. Or like, even making money. You'd normally do this sort of thing in front of a crowd, but you can't now, so they streamed it and charged people money to watch it, much like a real boxing event would do. I'd suspect that the majority of people who paid for this card are like, boxing journalists or something. I legitimately doubt it sold even 1000 buys. Don King probably wasn't even really trying to get Charr to fight. This was all about moving the WBA regular title to one of his fighters. This card was an obvious mess from the start. Lovejoy pulled out. I don't think Beibut Shumenov (who is most famous for losing his championship to a 49 year old Bernard Hopkins) even tried to show up. If he did, it technically would have been for a defence of the WBA cruiserweight regular title that he had somehow bumbled into. I suspect King was banking on Charr having visa issues or something, or maybe they already agreed that he would just stay in Germany, but either way he sort of just sat in Germany and waited, apparently without enough time to get a visa. The WBA, being a sane and normal organization, decided that Charr was no longer champion and that he'd be made champion in recess, and get a shot at fighting the winner by May.

But you know, in order for all these schemes to actually come together and move the belt from Charr to Bryan and retain the promotional rights to fight Charr in May, there had to be some event. You had to have some cameras, some fights, etc. It's the boxing equivalent of the four seasons landscaping press conference. Something had to happen. They decided to show some old King promoted fights in addition to the one bout they had on the main card. A couple weeks before the fight the venue didn't even know anything was happening. So Stiverne maybe knew he was fighting somebody a couple of weeks ago and was officially slotted in against Bryan like a day before the fight. He was out of shape, his last real gig was as an illusion of a boxer 3 years ago and now he's not even that. I doubt he did any significant training for the fight and when he was in the ring pretty much only threw overhand rights. Despite that he actually was able to hit Bryan with them seemingly at will a few times throughout. I guess we'll see how he does against Manuel Charr, provided Fres Oquendo's legal battle doesn't stop that.

two figments of boxers against each other lol

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

i thought his nickname was diamond boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good win for Figueroa last night.