Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Make sure you get you cholesterol checked before you start cooking with bacon fat on the regular though. It's tasty but don't die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So then what do I do with the excess? I don't think I'd use this much on the regular?
Or beef fat?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

So then what do I do with the excess? I don't think I'd use this much on the regular?
Or beef fat?

make bird feeders out of it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

HootTheOwl posted:

Or beef fat?

it lasts a long, long time in the fridge, you don't have to use it all up in a few days or anything. just put it in a container and use a spoonful of it when you want

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All things in moderation is all I'm saying. No one wants to end up like the fitness goon who ate all his meals cooked in excess bacon fat because it was "keto" and had a heart attack

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

otoh, use bacon fat instead of shortening in things. cut a third of the butter out of chocolate chip cookies and replace with bacon fat. it's incredible. also try with skillet cornbread, see this recipe with a unique twist on when to add it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's pretty awesome in pancakes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I use butter a lot, maybe I'll try some substations there.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Bacon fat is great for a sofrito, which can then be used in black beans over rice, or refried beans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I use butter a lot, maybe I'll try some substations there.

if you substitute 1:1 i think things can get too chewy, but i throw a tablespoon into tons of stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also y'all just suck it up and get a block of manteca for tostadas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bought some dried bonito flakes (a bit for me and a bit for my cats) and mixed some in with my stir fry today

western cooking has so much to learn

it's like a free smoky salty flavor you can use like a goddamned condiment

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Replica taco bell beef on top. It did actually taste as horny as it looks.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Eastern european flavored herbed fried chicken, yogurt marinade:

I have zero sight on Eastern European cuisine, but adzhika spice paste is amazing, works well with cilantro and rosemary, and mixes well with ketchup to make a dipping sauce

A+ would recommend this stuff

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 00:30 on May 16, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i say swears online posted:

otoh, use bacon fat instead of shortening in things. cut a third of the butter out of chocolate chip cookies and replace with bacon fat. it's incredible. also try with skillet cornbread, see this recipe with a unique twist on when to add it

i like chorizo fat for frying eggs in. you can drain it all out of a pan when cooking the sausage and pour it in a dish and refrigerate.

HootTheOwl posted:

Or beef fat?
yorkshire puddings!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
*dialing a 24 character code into a tiny keypad hidden under a recessed wooden panel on the underside of a table* password updated. the secret recipe's mysteries are safe... for now

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

the secret ingredient is cum

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

you may be on to something

Smythe posted:

spraying my jizz on a carton of eggs to generate 12 perfect offspring

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

:chanpop::distonk:

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
lmao imagine not having a mason jar full of bacon fat in your fridge.

you don't even have to strain it, but if you're buying a container just for that I guess you might as well. a little bacon dust is fine in anything you'd use the fat in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

alas my jar is now empty. bacon went up like 50% here at the start of the pandemic and only recently started falling. maybe i'll finally buy some tomorrow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man I love making hot wings at home. it's the best.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Smythe posted:

*dialing a 24 character code into a tiny keypad hidden under a recessed wooden panel on the underside of a table* password updated. the secret recipe's mysteries are safe... for now

Either post it or shut the gently caress up

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

sunday night improv meal is sweet potato and red onion galette, with garlic, feta, and fresh garden thyme. this photo sucks and the crust was more browned than it appears here; the feta is accurately depicted as burnt, oh well. no ring.

not pictured are broiled zucchini with dried garden oregano and parmesean topping or pre-roasted broccoli

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

man I love making hot wings at home. it's the best.

do you fry or bake? kenji’s baked wings recipe is amazing. does anyone know a good wing sauce recipe because I’ve been underwhelmed by the basic 1 part butter 2 part franks recipe.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
How do I defend my 30-50 carrots against the 3-5 squirrels eating them???!!!?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabronie posted:

How do I defend my 30-50 carrots against the 3-5 squirrels eating them???!!!?

SHarpen the carrots.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chard posted:

sunday night improv meal is sweet potato and red onion galette, with garlic, feta, and fresh garden thyme. this photo sucks and the crust was more browned than it appears here; the feta is accurately depicted as burnt, oh well. no ring.

not pictured are broiled zucchini with dried garden oregano and parmesean topping or pre-roasted broccoli

Inspired by this, and the fact I've never made one, I made a gruyere/mushroom/shallot/rosemary galette

Unfortunately no pics of the other half of the meal, beef tenderloin that I sous vide'ed with rosemary, thyme, and duck fat, finished off in a cast iron pan.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

So is a galette a crunchwrap or is a crunchwrap a galette

Steak and Ale pie with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, peas, herbs, garliconion and salt and pepper.
The crust is 1/2 butter 1/4 shortening and 1/4 bacon fat

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Use the WaPo recipe next time, I find the KA recipe kind of meh (it improves if you make the dough and shape the bagels the day before and let the flavor develop in the fridge).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/05/10/homemade-bagel-recipe-how-to-make-the-best-bagels-at-home/#bagelrecipe

I'm a sucker for everything bagels, so that's what I usually make, but once in a while I'll make some cinnamon raisin (bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a cinnamon raisin is heaven). If you decide to give cinnamon raisin a try, make sure you up the sugar and yeast content, cinnamon kills yeast so you need to compensate for that.

disclaimer: I worked in bagel stores and bakeries for ~15 years, my first job was in a NY bagel store.

i wanted to give this a shot tonight, but i'm either hitting a paywall or just overlooking the actual recpie with amounts. i tried the url at the end of the video but its 404'd. in any case i'll definitely try giving them an overnight rest after shaping, that sounds good. also that's a solid tip about cinnamon killing yeast, i'll keep that under my hat for a later day

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chard posted:

i wanted to give this a shot tonight, but i'm either hitting a paywall or just overlooking the actual recpie with amounts. i tried the url at the end of the video but its 404'd. in any case i'll definitely try giving them an overnight rest after shaping, that sounds good. also that's a solid tip about cinnamon killing yeast, i'll keep that under my hat for a later day

here:

quote:

Ingredients
For the bagels
1 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise active dry yeast, preferably SAF brand
337 grams (scant 12 ounces; scant 1 1/2 cups) warm water (80 degrees)
623 grams (22 ounces; approximately 4 cups) bread flour (may substitute high-gluten flour; see headnote)
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon barley malt syrup
3 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting

Steps
Mix the yeast into the warm water in a small bowl or measuring cup and let it start to foam while you prepare the rest of the dough. (If the mixture fails to foam after several minutes, dump it out and start over with new yeast.)

Combine the flour, salt and barley malt syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment. Add the yeast mixture and beat on the lowest speed until the dough starts to come together around the dough hook, about 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-low; beat for 7 to 10 minutes or until the dough is cohesive, smooth and stiff.

Dust a rimmed baking sheet with the cornmeal. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, then divide it into 8 or 9 equal portions (about 4 ounces each). Roll the pieces into smooth balls and cover with plastic wrap to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes.

Form each dough ball into a rope 11 inches long by rolling it under your palms. Try to avoid tapering the ends of the rope.

Shape each rope into a circle with a diameter of about 4 inches, overlapping the ends by about 11/2 inches. Pinch the overlapped areas firmly together, moistening them lightly with water if the ends won’t stick. Working with one at a time, place your fingers through each ring of dough; with the pinched-together seam facing down, roll the rope several times, applying firm pressure to seal the seam to form a bagel. Each ring should be about the same thickness all around; if it’s not, you can roll it in other places around the ring to even it out.

Place the dough rings on the cornmeal-covered baking sheet as you work, spaced an inch or two apart. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The rings will have puffed and spread slightly.

When you’re ready to boil and bake the bagels, place a pizza stone or baking stone, if using, on the middle oven rack. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. (The longer you can preheat, the better; up to an hour is great.)

Fill a large, wide pot with 3 inches of water; bring it to a boil over high heat.

Drop 3 or 4 dough rings into the boiling water, stirring and briefly submerging them with a metal skimmer or slotted spoon, until very slightly puffed, 30 to 35 seconds. Transfer the dough rings to a wire rack, bottom (flatter) sides down, to drain. Repeat with the remaining rings.

If you are using any of the optional toppings, dip the bagels in them while the dough is still wet (see VARIATIONS, below).

If you’re baking with the stone, transfer the rings, cornmeal side down, to a sheet of parchment paper on top of a pizza peel or overturned baking sheet. You’ll then just slide the parchment with the bagels directly onto the stone. (Depending on the size of the stone or your comfort in sliding off 8 or 9 bagels at a time, you might choose to bake in two batches, which will also help space the bagels out, for better browning on the crust.) If you’re not using a stone, transfer the bagels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake (middle rack) for 12 to 18 minutes or until the bagels are a deep golden brown and crisp, rotating the parchment paper or baking sheet halfway through; the baking time will depend on whether you’re using a stone and perhaps the heat distribution of your oven.
Use tongs to transfer the bagels to a wire rack to cool. If you’ve split the bagels into two batches, slide the second one in and bake.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

awesome, thank you :tipshat:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Was looking for an enchilada recipe and found this

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chicken-enchiladas

which included a picture of him draining chicken fat directly into his sink drain and then this note at the bottom

what the gently caress kenji. didn't he work in commercial kitchens?

We made these once and they were incredible.

https://www.seriouseats.com/tex-mex-cheese-enchiladas-with-red-chili-gravy-recipe

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Picked up the Night + Market Cookbook a few weeks back along with a wok and started making Thai food.

It's ultra rewarding, every recipe is pretty much a home run.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451497872/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZCRE40SYDD51T24HWBEA

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm slowly working through my quarantine bean stores and made beans two-ways this weekend. Good as hell.

Chili + 3-Bean Salad

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Here's some Pad See Ew and a citrus/apple salad with fried shallots and mint.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ABetterRed/status/1396528110120706051

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is that summer sausage on a dinner roll?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that popcorn salad looks interesting as heck though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that popcorn salad looks interesting as heck though

yeah that was most surprising to me, i thought they were marshmallows at first but i'd try a ladlefull of that