Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PACU, I’m so loving jealous of our PACU staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014

Nine of Eight posted:

Learn French and come to Quebec; we still run on 8h shifts and most positions are (still) single shift. Plus with Covid shortages regional health authorities are desperate to hire.

I've actually looked into moving to Montreal and working at an English-speaking hospital, but I had a hard time figuring out how to transfer my license to Quebec. And it seems like they still expect you to be bilingual. Are there English speaking hospitals that would be ok with me having less than stellar French while I'm in the process of learning the language?

I am a Canadian but I've been working in the States since I graduated and the rotating shifts are the biggest reason why I can't work here, even though I really want to. Having a consistent sleeping schedule is really important to me, so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for endoscopy/PACU/clinic/etc etc etc jobs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I work in a healthcare center/health center/community health center (wikipedia had so many alternatives, I have no idea what to call it exactly) in Finland. Only workdays are weekdays, from 07:30 to 15:30. Maybe Canada has something similar? Job is not exciting or flashy but it is extremely stable and predictable. We are even forbidden to do overtime so we basically have to go to home on time :v:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 1, 2021

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
My educator wants me to precept this new nursing resident who she describes as overconfident in his abilities because he's a former paramedic. She thinks I'm direct enough to set him straight. I'm extremely not looking forward to it.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

computer angel posted:

My educator wants me to precept this new nursing resident who she describes as overconfident in his abilities because he's a former paramedic. She thinks I'm direct enough to set him straight. I'm extremely not looking forward to it.

These are the worst types of people to work with and that is not something I say lightly. Call out (and prevent!) their errors in a direct manner and do not allow any hand-waving explanations. Even then it is such a chore. I feel for you.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Waiting to hear whether or not you got accepted into graduate school sucks when you're at the end of the timeline that they said they would be sending out acceptance/denial letters

And of course going into the weekend is never fun waiting

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
My spouse accepted a full-time, day shift, RN contract in Oregon. We spent the last month packing and moving from California only for the facility to call her a week before start date and tell her that they only have part-time noc shifts.

Y'all get put through some shady poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Well hot drat, I got accepted into DNP school for the Fall cohort.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Nice and hot piss posted:

Congrats! They were just loving with you, hah! What type of program is it?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

trauma llama posted:

Congrats! They were just loving with you, hah! What type of program is it?

Doctorate in Family Nurse Practitioner.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Just got an email from our director looking for people interested in redeploying to Thunder Bay for 2 weeks for COVID relief. I guess their ICU is at risk for getting overwhelmed.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Doctorate in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Enjoy your pelvics and/or peds time, depending on what horrifies you more!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

PACU, I’m so loving jealous of our PACU staff

Yeah, PACU does rule :cool:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Enjoy your pelvics and/or peds time, depending on what horrifies you more!

haha, yes that has gone through my mind in terms of what to expect.

I feel like the ultimate chad move is to land a job in dermatology or something that requires nothing but dealing with clients that do elective services, lose all skills related to acute care and live out the rest of my days cutting off moles/working in plastics.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

What made you choose DNP? From what I’ve heard the additional time is spent on “nursing research” and really only seems to be applicable if you want to be a prof or work in admin. Not a lot of clinical application as an APRN. That’s my perception, anyway, vs the MSN

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

haha, yes that has gone through my mind in terms of what to expect.

I feel like the ultimate chad move is to land a job in dermatology or something that requires nothing but dealing with clients that do elective services, lose all skills related to acute care and live out the rest of my days cutting off moles/working in plastics.

AKA the dream. Left the hospital four and a half years ago to work for a medical device company. My patient interaction involves rolling into the lab when the patient is intubated and leaving before they are extubated. Nursing skills, what the hell are those? I don’t need em.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hobbez posted:

What made you choose DNP? From what I’ve heard the additional time is spent on “nursing research” and really only seems to be applicable if you want to be a prof or work in admin. Not a lot of clinical application as an APRN. That’s my perception, anyway, vs the MSN

The school I applied to only offers a DNP program. There's been talks (such as the RN role) that all advanced practice nurses will need to obtain their doctorate, in the same way that there's a big push for all associate RN's to obtain bachelors. to boot: I loved my masters degree scholarly research, so if there was an opportunity to conduct further research on what I currently did I would love to continue it. Biggest factor of course is that the school only offers a DNP.

edit: Wanted to add, this isn't a PhD or a non clinical DNP, this is a full fledged advance practice degree with clinical hours etc etc..

my CNO has her "DNP" that she got from Capella University *lol* and she, for some odd reason, gets to hold the title of DNP. Which the whole thing with that university is just lol, given that she finished a "doctorate" in 1.5 years with no dissertation. But hey that's a whole new can of worms I don't want to open up, and this isn't that kind of program.

B-Mac posted:

AKA the dream. Left the hospital four and a half years ago to work for a medical device company. My patient interaction involves rolling into the lab when the patient is intubated and leaving before they are extubated. Nursing skills, what the hell are those? I don’t need em.

haha. I would prefer to work as a midlevel in an E.R for like.. 6 or so years before transferring out to a clinic doing something else. I also always wanted to do cardiology as well. But I know there's going to be a point in my career that dealing with drunk assholes and lovely patients is going to come to an end

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2021

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

My dream is to prescribe the metoprolol, not administer it.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Gotcha. I would consider the PhD if it skewed towards more patho, pharm, and clinical time, but that is weirdly not really the emphasis in the programs in my area! Even for the clinical focused doctorates

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hobbez posted:

Gotcha. I would consider the PhD if it skewed towards more patho, pharm, and clinical time, but that is weirdly not really the emphasis in the programs in my area! Even for the clinical focused doctorates

In my N=3 opinion: Those with doctorates have either a great lifestyle or a very rough life, based on many different factors. Of the three I know that graduated with doctorates in varying fields.
1: public health doctorate, living a pretty drat good life and posts a lot of pictures from his travels around the world conducting research and living well off his position doing research/teaching for a large medical hospital.
2: Living in Hawaii for a post-doc fellowship but talks about his 70+ hr work week.
3: works for a biological research group doing data research/ work making enough to afford his 1 bedroom apartment with his wife who also has a PhD. *may have changed since I haven't caught up with him a while, but it was touch and go for jobs and whatnot after he graduated* He's also one of the hardest workers that I knew and very smart/good dude .

You either get super lucky, gangster funding and job position where you have a ton of autonomy and make a good wage, or you end up in the impoverished but educated life. It seems to be more the latter than the former, and it's probably safe to say that given tenure is going the way of the dodo bird, you will be working as an adjunct faculty member making $3,000 a semester teaching a course or still working bedside nursing with your badge saying *Hobbez, RN PhD*

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

B-Mac posted:

I left about 7 years ago and went into clinical research to become a CRA, a job which I learned about here on SA. When I’m not working from home, I spend 2-3 days per week auditing patient documents for pharma trials. I lost my nursing skills a long time ago.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Cacafuego posted:

I left about 7 years ago and went into clinical research to beco

B-Mac posted:

me a CRA, a job which I learned about here on SA. When I’m not working from home, I spend 2-3 days per week auditing patient documents for pharma trials. I lost my nursing skills a long time ago.

Would y'all mind sharing ballpark salary info for career paths like this?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Lovelyn posted:

quote:

me a CRA, a job which I learned about here on SA. When I’m not working from home, I spend 2-3 days per week auditing patient documents for pharma trials. I lost my nursing skills a long time ago.

I started as a CRA in 2015 at $60k. I got promoted in 2016 to CRA 2 at $72k. Promoted again in 2018 to senior CRA at $90k. Jumped ship laterally in 2018 to another company for $110k. Jumped back to original company in 2019 for $117k and a $20k sign on bonus.

I’m at $120k now with ~$10k in bonuses per year, plus another ~$10k in per diems. Feel free to ask any other questions if you’d like!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

I am located in the mid west and make $75K base salary and average about $40K in annual bonuses. I also get a car reimbursement payment each month which comes out to around $9K a year.

For reference I was making just over $22/hr when I left the hospital.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

I started as a CRA in 2015 at $60k. I got promoted in 2016 to CRA 2 at $72k. Promoted again in 2018 to senior CRA at $90k. Jumped ship laterally in 2018 to another company for $110k. Jumped back to original company in 2019 for $117k and a $20k sign on bonus.

I’m at $120k now with ~$10k in bonuses per year, plus another ~$10k in per diems. Feel free to ask any other questions if you’d like!
[/quote]

I have 8 years left on my current contract, I hope I can find a gig like this when I "retire" at 45.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Cacafuego posted:

[/quote]

Wow! How did you get your foot in the door? What kind of keyword search terms could I use to look at job descriptions?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Lovelyn posted:

Wow! How did you get your foot in the door? What kind of keyword search terms could I use to look at job descriptions?
[/quote]

I left the bedside in 2014 to take a job as a clinical research coordinator and did that for about 18 months. A nurse coworker's wife was a CRA and suggested I apply as a CRA and I started contacting CRA recruiters on LinkedIn until I got one that talked to me. The clinical research field is booming, everybody is hiring at the moment and they seem to keep upping the signon bonuses as everybody ping pongs from company to company. There's many branches you can take too, plenty of upward mobility and potential job prospects once you get some clinical research experience.

Look for clinical research coordinator/clinical research associate positions. Indeed sends me daily "clinical research remote" positions and there's always several. Building a LinkedIn profile will help and then connecting with clinical research recruiters on there will help as well. I work for a contract research organization (CRO) and we are basically the middleman between the pharma/device companies and the doctors that are running the trials. They tend to pay better than pharma because pharma gives better benefits (higher 401k match, stock options, car allowance, etc). If you're on reddit, join us in r/clinicalresearch and feel free to ask questions there if you'd like as well.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Thank you! Lots to think about

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How much of it is cool science versus data entry that they hire RNs to do? Are you doing assessments/intake on people? Chart audits? What is the job?

Nvm I went through Cacafuego's post history, sounds neat.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 19, 2021

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Bmac, what’s your call like? I am not interested in call, which is keeping me out of pac€maker$, where I have zoodles of experience.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Bmac, what’s your call like? I am not interested in call, which is keeping me out of pac€maker$, where I have zoodles of experience.

I work in electrophysiology but on the ablation side of things, I don’t do anything with devices. I have no call but will occasionally travel and stay overnight for cases out of town and essentially never work weekends.

Edit: from talking with my CRM counterparts call has gotten considerably easier with the addition of remote monitoring systems being placed in a lot of ERs and inpatient floors. Though they still have to deal with some bullshit from time to time. Motherfuckers just don’t understand pacemakers and AICDs like the EP nerds do.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 21, 2021

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
So I’m hoping some of you could help me out here. My school wants me to decide my preceptorship for next year. I’m interested in community nursing, so the options that look interesting to me are Community/public Health Nursing, Corrections, and the Community Healthcare Network.

I don’t have any clinical experience working in Corrections or with CHN, so is there anyone here that could maybe tell me a bit about how the typical work day would be like for those? I’m also in Canada, going for my RN.

I wish a I could preceptor a clinical research position, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

When getting a new job and negotiating your salary, do you guys think it’s best to try to push for a raise/higher wage when interviewing with your new manager or when you connect with HR later on?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Sounds like a question for the negotiation thread.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Can anyone recommend a pair of vegan work shoes? Looking for something supportive and easy to clean

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

Can anyone recommend a pair of vegan work shoes? Looking for something supportive and easy to clean

Maybe just DON'T EAT your shoes!?!?

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Maybe just DON'T EAT your shoes!?!?

o poo poo is that even possible

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Does anyone have a recommendation for a piece of equipment or tool that you guys use for your job that would make a good graduation gift for a new nurse?

I have a friend who is about to graduate that found out halfway through the prior quarter that she has breast cancer and has been going through her classes and clinicals while receiving chemo and juggling almost daily medical appointments. It’s been incredibly difficult for her and she deserves something nice for her perseverance.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Good shoes if she doesn’t already have a good >$50 stethoscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Gift certificate to figs so she can buy some nice scrubs. A good stethoscope with her name etched in it. I personally like boring stuff like good pens, expensive multi ink pens, mini sharpies on keychains, compression socks lol. A fancy smart watch. I'm personally in love with my star trek com badge reel but you can get her something more personal.