Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

When I found this thread, I was astonished there were threads about YT Lpers at all much less the ones I really liked. Back then the hard rule was "there was nothing of value to be found outside SA's hallowed gates, absolutely none".

Like Retsupurae was born due to a large amount of legitimately terrible LPs on Youtube from like 2008-2011, but there was definitely an element of "how DARE these outsiders do our thing."

Haha what's really funny about my own post about this is I forgot I literally discovered SBFP through Woolie and Pat appearing on the retsupurae podcast back in like...2014? I remember having it on driving home from visiting family out of state and thinking "wow I should check them out, these guys are funny and sound legit passionate about games" in a way I had never, ever heard before :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It sucks that retsupurae just became kind of infeasible after a while thanks to the rise of internet detective shitheads. After a while slowbeef and diabeetus started doing as much as they could to obscure the actual youtuber's identity and people still kept on finding them and harassing them, which put a huge damper on the desire to keep making them if I remember right.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I think it was inevitable that something like Retsupurae would result in harassment. That said, some of their best stuff came after they stopped mocking Let's Plays and started focusing on making fun of games instead so I'm not too torn up about them stopping.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The long play stuff was always the best part of Retsupurae, hands down.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the two best things slowbeef ever did were the justin bailey super metroid mod with rotating guests, and the 1CC run of Alien Soldier he did live for a very impressed Woolie, which had one of the most hype endings to the run imaginable. Def recommend tracking down the latter if you've never seen it!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

beep by grandpa posted:

Haha what's really funny about my own post about this is I forgot I literally discovered SBFP through Woolie and Pat appearing on the retsupurae podcast back in like...2014? I remember having it on driving home from visiting family out of state and thinking "wow I should check them out, these guys are funny and sound legit passionate about games" in a way I had never, ever heard before :unsmith:

That was how I discovered them, too. Retsutalk was a really good podcast in general. I'd love if Beef could go on Superbeast.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I remember the episode Pat was on and was talking about DSP, and it was the smartest and most eloquent he ever sounded, before and since.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 11, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

I remember the episode Pat was on and was talking about DSP, and it was the smartest and most eloquent he ever sound sounded, before and since.

You just reminded me of how horrifyingly alien and professional Pat sounds on his episodes of Did You Know Gaming :lol:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
... Matt???

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

As funny as it is, that statement's pretty true. Almost everything else was hitting the ground hard for a while, while every MK was still selling and somehow selling more each time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The best part of Retsupurae was always the ElectricalBeast videos

beep by grandpa posted:

You just reminded me of how horrifyingly alien and professional Pat sounds on his episodes of Did You Know Gaming :lol:

Pat did a DYKG???

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bonaventure posted:

a big ingredient in what made SBFP good was their enthusiasm and engagement with the games. i gave oneyplays a shot since at least they have the energy; i found them not very funny but more than anything what bothered me is, like, they barely seemed to acknowledge a game was being played and then only for one of them to be like "dude... what the gently caress are you playing? what the gently caress is ... this...?" it felt like they were forcing a lot of humor just to stop themselves from being bored, never mind the audience.

psychicpebbles is the real star of oneyplays and he shines regardless of environment, which yeah kinda makes the game take a backseat to whatever deranged thing he's going on about at any given time

The recent reunion series Chris did with Julian and dingdong has been great and has that older LP feel, Bart's Nightmare and YIIK especially, so those come highly recommended if you ever want to give them another go. That said I totally understand why folks don't like them.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

MorningMoon posted:

Pat did a DYKG???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IQ_1Ws7n4

Hearing pat speak in his professional voice is scarier than silent hill.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yardbomb posted:

As funny as it is, that statement's pretty true. Almost everything else was hitting the ground hard for a while, while every MK was still selling and somehow selling more each time.

this was the same era where tekken was on television in korea and toushinsai was a ppv event

that's right, people paid money to watch high level hokuto no ken in arenas

in other words:

Mortal Kombat kept fighting games alive if and only if you are looking at the US, Canada and Western Europe.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

I think it was inevitable that something like Retsupurae would result in harassment. That said, some of their best stuff came after they stopped mocking Let's Plays and started focusing on making fun of games instead so I'm not too torn up about them stopping.

The best retsupraes were when the person was odd but endearing. Like "the jolteon??? of lets plays"

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdDRkQLOds

MorningMoon posted:

oh lol someone beat me to the first part.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's super hosed up to me that electrical beast no longer lives in england

he got married and moved to washington

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

england is wherever electricalbeast is

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
My favorite Retsupurae videos were generally the ones where they picked on mean or disingenuous people, or had a positive vibe (like Electrical Beast or Cornshaq). This was probably my favorite mean-spirited one because the entertainment is derived from the guy being the worst kind of trend-hopper at the time:

D A I L Y * V L O G S

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Other than a few standouts like ElectricalBeast and Musclebomber2021, Retsupurae always felt overly mean-spirited to me. I never really could get into them. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, Gaming in the Clinton Years was amazing, can't forget about that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

this was the same era where tekken was on television in korea and toushinsai was a ppv event

that's right, people paid money to watch high level hokuto no ken in arenas

in other words:

Mortal Kombat kept fighting games alive if and only if you are looking at the US, Canada and Western Europe.

I mean to a part it was mainly in the framing of like "In the time of home release getting more" where ports were coming out screwed up in some way semi-regularly, while asia's always gonna be the anomaly in fighting game stuff a lot of the time thanks to still having such a healthy arcade culture and stuff, while virtually everywhere else has seen their arcades and community centers choked out entirely except for like, the rare mall arcades still scraping by and the big community supported known name ones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
oh god i'm turning into dust. part of the electricalbeast saga was that he lost all his mario 64 save data... then years later he managed to finally finish his let's play as a huge surprise. that was almost eleven years ago gently caress.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Bowser's Evil Test indeed.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Sir Ron Lionheart was a wholesome treasure to find back then, even if he did turn out to be a vampire.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

I’d say ‘lucky’ for escaping but he went to richer UK only with no healthcare and more religion

A land of contrasts

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

People willingly moving to the US without being a millionaire or something beforehand always boggles my mind, gently caress this place man, don't come here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

People willingly moving to the US without being a millionaire or something beforehand always boggles my mind, gently caress this place man, don't come here.
But second vaccine shots in three weeks not four months!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

And then you take one bad spill and are bankrupt forever.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
looollll Woolie got to one of the bits where DE calls you out if you're being a coward centrist and got really butt hurt

i don't know why i expected better

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Still better and easier to get to than a lot of other first-world countries.

Source: immigrant family

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Better is an extreme citation needed but easier sure I guess lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

To clarify, better in this case means against third-world countries and easier means against Europe, Canada, or Australia etc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I left America for a living wage in China

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Regarde Aduck posted:

I’d say ‘lucky’ for escaping but he went to richer UK only with no healthcare and more religion

A land of contrasts

electrical beast fell in love with a woman from the us and now lives in a big house next to a nature park

he's doing better than all of us

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Smoking Crow posted:

electrical beast fell in love with a woman from the us and now lives in a big house next to a nature park

he's doing better than all of us

Something about this is warming the gently caress outta my heart

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Roach Warehouse posted:

RE:8's release has really highlighted that I've not discovered anyone who fills the same viewing niche for me that the old best friends channel did.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not hugely interested in long single-vid streams or chat interaction, just love some good banter over gameplay tbh.

Former forums superstar Supergreatfriend.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

while i heartily endorse SGF, there's not a lot of banter to be had in his streams since he does things exclusively solo

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've been kinda lacking a good regular LP experience also lately.. like I still watch pat sometimes, woolie a bit (but i usually wait until he's done with something because sometimes he just takes loving forever), a guy called CohhCarnage (streamer, great guy but sometimes a bit too much chat interaction / distraction).. also watch the GameGrumps a good bit but their entertainment is 90% banter 10% game - works best when they do 2p stuff like wheel of fortune or mario party

SGF is great if a bit dry sometimes and he plays a lot of real wierd poo poo I'm not interested in. Chip Cheezum's another good old forum guy but he works a regular job so its like 1 vid a week, still hasn't finished his FF7 remake playthrough

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

a cartoon duck posted:

while i heartily endorse SGF, there's not a lot of banter to be had in his streams since he does things exclusively solo

His fan base is also incredibly insufferable so looking in chat might cause your eyes to roll out of your head.

(This has nothing to do with anything SGF's great I just don't like how he seems to attract people who are terminally afflicted with Cinemasins brain and seem incapable of actually engaging with anything.)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

luckily it doesn't matter if his chat is terrible or not because he never actually engages with it when a video game is on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

it feels like it's getting a little harder to find people who did that short episodes stye SBFP did because it's not really feasible to make money unless you're the game grumps apparently. Long videos or just streaming seem to be much bigger hits.

I really enjoy Continue? who have been around forever. They mostly do single episodes of a game where they laugh and shoot the poo poo over it, though they do have some series where they complete things together as well. I also really like Supermega but they seem like they're winding down as far as lping things goes and branching out into doing other stuff. Both of those are really bantery and fun.

For solo people it gets tougher because streaming really seems to be the preferred format for it. People like Vinny and Joel from Vinesauce are both really funny but they're bound by long vods and occasional chat interaction (granted both have way less downtime in their streams than someone like Pat or Woolie and are way better at keeping stuff engaging). John Wolfe/HarshlyCritical is pretty good if you like horror games but he's a little more analytical than bantery.

JOSEPH SAMOAN fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 13, 2021