Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have witnessed bosses being abusive and people quitting on the spot from too much pressure while waiting in line at two separate and distinct Popeye's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I tried to move out of society and live among the trees, but then I heard that one Rush song and it turns out that trees are libertarians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Also: Extra gently caress you to the Salvation Army since they are assholes to the people they are supposed to be helping and hate LGBT.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

well if their website says it

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
My hot take contribution to this derail: trying to shame someone for eating at a specific fast food restaurant is stupid. They're all awful.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oxyclean posted:

Didn't Chick Fil A quietly go back to donating to those groups some time after? Or am I mixing up with the last time before this one?

I think they just find new groups to fund instead every time they get called out. I don't think they're still funding "make homosexuality a capital offense in Africa" levels of horrible causes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SecGranholm/status/1392588496880033792

Uh anybody wanna buy a dozen 50 gallon trashbags filled with gasoline

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Hey as long as it's easy, right.
I'd rather people boycott the homophobic chicken chain then do nothing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

Pfffttt hahahaha

Lol at all the chuds with 1,000 dollars worth of gas in bags: sucks to suck I guess

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

sgbyou posted:

well if their website says it

Oh, I'm not saying anything about what they're actually doing. Honestly, I don't know anymore. But the salvation army isn't saying "drat right we're anti-gay," they're saying "no, we're totally cool, guys." This is different than an organization whos explicit goal is to stop gay marriage or pressure african nations to outlaw homosexuality. That matters as far as what a company is doing to tailor its image or take sides in our endless culture war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TulliusCicero posted:

Pfffttt hahahaha

Lol at all the chuds with 1,000 dollars worth of gas in bags: sucks to suck I guess
Don't rear-end anybody for the next couple of weeks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

got a work trip next week and i was admittedly the tiniest bit concerned about logistics

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

GreyjoyBastard posted:

got a work trip next week and i was admittedly the tiniest bit concerned about logistics

Enjoy paying $6+ a gallon.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Grondoth posted:

Oh, I'm not saying anything about what they're actually doing. Honestly, I don't know anymore. But the salvation army isn't saying "drat right we're anti-gay," they're saying "no, we're totally cool, guys." This is different than an organization whos explicit goal is to stop gay marriage or pressure african nations to outlaw homosexuality. That matters as far as what a company is doing to tailor its image or take sides in our endless culture war.

They have been explicitly trying to outlaw homosexuality. Its fine if you didn't know that when you posted it.

"In 1986, The Salvation Army campaigned throughout New Zealand against the Homosexual Law Reform Act 1986, which decriminalised homosexuality."

"In 1997, the city of San Francisco enacted a law requiring all companies doing business with the city government to extend domestic benefits to same-sex partners of employees. In refusing to do so, the Salvation Army declined a US $3.5 million contract"

"In November 2013 it was made known that the Salvation Army was referring LGBT individuals to one of several conversion therapy groups"

Source: Wikipedia. There's a shitton more, as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Republicans posted:

presently still sub-2.50 here, so... no?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Vorik posted:

Republicans have controlled 10 out of the last 14 House congresses. Dems have controlled the last 2.. but their majority is extremely tenuous right now. The Trump administration was already a train wreck in '18 leading into 2020, yet Dems still lost a bunch of seats. If Trump's shithole of a presidency couldn't stop dems from losing seats then I don't think it's looking good for 2022

I'm not saying you're definitely right or wrong but a significant chunk of voters turn out specifically because Trump is on the ballot, and those voters vote for GOP candidates. Meaning that despite Trump losing he gave the GOP congressional candidates a tail wind. So it's possible to interpret the 2020 results as meaning the GOP is in trouble because without Trump many of those voters will not turn out.

Impossible to say with certainty since Trump certainly increased turnout on the Democratic side as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1392562188792045571

My understanding from Shelby County is that the court left it open for the Congress to fix section 5 of the VRA and re-implement it. Assuming for the sake of argument that we can't get HR1 through the Senate, would this be enough

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zwabu posted:

I'm not saying you're definitely right or wrong but a significant chunk of voters turn out specifically because Trump is on the ballot, and those voters vote for GOP candidates. Meaning that despite Trump losing he gave the GOP congressional candidates a tail wind. So it's possible to interpret the 2020 results as meaning the GOP is in trouble because without Trump many of those voters will not turn out.

Impossible to say with certainty since Trump certainly increased turnout on the Democratic side as well.

Doesn't almost all evidence suggest if Trump's name isn't on the ballot his % of "surprise to polls" voters don't show up?

I would think the Georgia Run-off and the 2018 mid-terms, in relation to 2016 and 2020 clarified that.

Also atm the GOP has no consistent message on loving anything, are either infighting on the playground or yelling about "Cancel Culture" nobody but 30% of Americans even understand, the Qanon bubble and the myth of Trump's inevitability has burst, Trump's unfavorability rating continues to drag the party down, and there is no charismatic fearless leader to the chuds to pick up the pieces.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 12, 2021

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Yeah I'd ask generally if some of these fucks felt a bit silly now but I know they don't. Morons.

Selfishly I'm glad though, this may kinda sorta blunt whatever impact it may have had on prices for my long road trip next week. Maybe.

zoux posted:

My understanding from Shelby County is that the court left it open for the Congress to fix section 5 of the VRA and re-implement it. Assuming for the sake of argument that we can't get HR1 through the Senate, would this be enough

"Enough" is a relative term, my friend. Would it be better than nothing? Yes. But the GOP is engaging in a full frontal assault on democracy as a thing. This ain't the time for mealy mouthed half or quarter measures. Manchin needs to sack up and do the needful.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The GOP has spent months basically saying elections are illegitimate and pointless, are GOP voters going to turn out in big numbers? They didnt turn out enough in the Georgia runoffs and that was a factor.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

The GOP has spent months basically saying elections are illegitimate and pointless, are GOP voters going to turn out in big numbers? They didnt turn out enough in the Georgia runoffs and that was a factor.

I mean the short answer is "we'll see." A lot of time left for poo poo to play out before the next cycle.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

OctaMurk posted:

Many of the capital attack terrorists who said "I can't believe Trump lost!" didn't even vote in the election. Their own actions are not subject to their narrative.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

presently still sub-2.50 here, so... no?

I'm in Cali where our pipelines are malware free and it's 4 loving dollars a gallon, gently caress

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

I'm in Cali where our pipelines are malware free and it's 4 loving dollars a gallon, gently caress

It actually rules

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah but in CA in the summer that's Tuesday, or in today's case Wednesday.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nazzadan posted:

In the UK it's like double that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe is ruining travel for hard driving Americans.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if chicken joint, but powered by blockchain?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

What if chicken joint, but powered by blockchain?

Bawkchain.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kavros posted:

I'm really actually sorry to hear that chick fil a is killing it mostly due to being a model achiever in cleanliness and professional presentation. Little things like having consistently working and legible drive-through electronics sure do matter for a lot, who would have thought?

I'm doubly sorry that they're making a killing because the fundamental strength of their success is to fill redlined voids of black owned businesses. If you live somewhere where black american commerce was strangled so completely that chick-fil-a is literally the best chicken sandwich you can get then that's that.

But that's depressing.

Most fast food restaurants you go to are franchises, take MCd's, some McDonalds are well run, some are shitholes, it's entirely up to the franchise owner. As long as the location's metrics are above a certain point, McDonalds (the corporation) is fairly hands off. A McD's franchise owner gets to decide staffing levels, scheduling and can own multiple locations. In practice this means it's some jackoff taking as much of the revenue for themselves as they possibly can while staffing as minimally as they can and paying the absolute minimum on improvements and equipment maintenance.

CFA is much stricter on their franchises, the 'operator' does not own the location, can only have one location, must maintain adequate staffing and must be on site as an active member of the workforce (even though they are in a managerial role). For all the bad things CFA does, this is why they tend to be such a well run fast food outlet... amazing how far adequate staffing and maintaining your equipment can go.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

kzin602 posted:

CFA is much stricter on their franchises, the 'operator' does not own the location, can only have one location, must maintain adequate staffing and must be on site as an active member of the workforce (even though they are in a managerial role). For all the bad things CFA does, this is why they tend to be such a well run fast food outlet... amazing how far adequate staffing and maintaining your equipment can go.

Looking at this another way it's kinda creepy and cult like? But if you dropped the average person into McD's for a week at their average salary and then CFA for a week at their average salary my guess is most people, drat near all, would prefer CFA.

I'm gay, southern, and love chicken. Going there is a logistical pain in the rear end because of how busy it always is but I never once "boycotted" them for their donations. I know, don't care.

EDIT

BTW I love how smug goons and libs generally get about CFA's ownership's religious beliefs and causes but turn around and talk about how kickass In'N'Out Burger is. Might just wanna check the religious beliefs of the (pretty young considering) woman that owns that company. Then tip your shake cup upside down and ask yourself, is that a bible verse printed on there?

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 12, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

I'm gay, southern, and love chicken. Going there is a logistical pain in the rear end because of how busy it always is but I never once "boycotted" them for their donations. I know, don't care.

I also know somebody quite well in this exact circumstances as you, being in Texas and all, and they believe the same. Also I forgot that In-n-Out has those verses on the bottom of their cups, at least Whataburger never did that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Republicans posted:

if u can't expense gas but are still expected to travel u need to find another job

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Doesn't this apply to everyone, though? What, to you, is a group of like minded people talking about politics is, to others, a group think bubble.

Not that I'm saying the GOP isn't a death cult, but it just seems something that is endemic to our current modes of thought.

The difference is epistemic closure: the ability for outside information to enter and be accepted into the bubble.

These guys have been told "we're the only ones you can trust" for so long their info can ONLY come from within the bubble, and they still need an other to battle against so they schism. You see a version with leftist circular firing squads too.

zoux posted:

The problem is the GOP already got a bunch of their desired laws through the door and in place. Preclearance being restored would only stop things from getting worse which, after the wave of election laws passed after the insurrection, doesn't seem like much of a bargain.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

On the other hand, I feel like "I don't like their politics, but their food is just too good" or other similar statements are botheringly common that I'd rather assume its some kind of artificial viral marketing strategy.

VH4Ever posted:

almost like clockwork lol

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

zoux posted:

I tried to move out of society and live among the trees, but then I heard that one Rush song and it turns out that trees are libertarians.

Only the oaks, and they got what was coming to them by the end of the song.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

It's fun hereabouts when gas is totally like 4.21 at the freeway gas station, but just 10 minutes away it's down around a far more reasonable 3.74

:capitalism:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

VH4Ever posted:

Looking at this another way it's kinda creepy and cult like? But if you dropped the average person into McD's for a week at their average salary and then CFA for a week at their average salary my guess is most people, drat near all, would prefer CFA.

EDIT

BTW I love how smug goons and libs generally get about CFA's ownership's religious beliefs and causes but turn around and talk about how kickass In'N'Out Burger is. Might just wanna check the religious beliefs of the (pretty young considering) woman that owns that company. Then tip your shake cup upside down and ask yourself, is that a bible verse printed on there?

I don't consider "don't support anti-LGBTQ establishments" smug since I feel it's an ethical decision. I don't have In'N'Out around me but I'm curious about why they're lovely and also if them being lovely is still for patronization of their locations.

Edit: speaking of hobby lobby sucks for not only not funding birth control for their employees but also literally buying stolen religious artifacts from ISIS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1392597174014332929

You know, I don't hate it. Better than a free refill at participating restaurants. For those under 17 they're raffling off a full ride to AN Ohio state university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1392597174014332929

You know, I don't hate it. Better than a free refill at participating restaurants. For those under 17 they're raffling off a full ride to AN Ohio state university.

That's...actually kind of inspired tbh. A Republican Governor implemented this?