Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

More like ... attention ... grabber :v:

beer gas canister posted:

Also, don't quit playing, 3 years is not a long time unless you've been practicing for multiple hours every day, no exaggeration or joking. Music comes very slow, and progress occurs in fits and starts. Chill on it a while and come back, or try playing something totally new. But whatever you do, don't treat yourself badly if you can't play something, it's just not worth it. It's so easy to demean yourself as a musician and everyone that plays has done it, but you can't let it define you or impact your self image. It's just music, you won't be evaluated on it by St. Peter when you die.

This is so true. I felt many times that I wasn't learning anything and just playing along to songs and doing my thing just trying to touch it every day or so. And then I go back and revisit a song or riff that I found very challenging and suddenly I can comfortably play it in tempo. That's the feeling that keeps me going back. When I can suddenly play *goal* songs in time and not even struggle with it anymore - just completely lose myself in it and there goes an hour or two.

There's a flip side, though: as I learn more about music, the stuff I can now play loses its appeal a bit. Like I can play these goal songs I've had for a while, and that's fine and fun, but what I really want to do now is play Flamenco Sketches on a horn just by myself. There's only so much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't find my whammy bar, I took it off because it didn't fit in the bag properly and now I can't find it :negative:

Time to buy a new one!
https://reverb.com/item/39730665-whammy-davis-jr-4ft-wild-whammy-bar-by-chibson-usa

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lol I've seen these Chibson USA guys on instagram... I thought it was purely a joke/meme account... they actually make these things!?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
”Help! I’ve Lost My Guitar’s Penis!” and Other Journeys in Contemporary Musicianship, available now wherever fine books are sold (Random House Publishing, Inc. 2021)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I swear to god one day I'll remember to tune before recording a whole loving section.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Huxley posted:

I swear to god one day I'll remember to tune before recording a whole loving section.

Evertune bridges are a godsend let me tell you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Huxley posted:

jfc yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The weird part is when you listen back and the out-of-tune take sounds better

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Eh just apply a little autotune and it'll buff out, no problem.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
experiencing wrist pain today after playing way too much guitar last night! :whitewater:

this sucks, i have a bunch of music inside me, but i have to take the day off and try again tomorrow.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Brawnfire posted:

My dad used to build these in his 1980s basement woodshop. He even made a dulcimer for his shop bathroom door with wooden beads on lines that played the strings when you opened the door.

Weird stuff.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0aOb4BBdY These!

Oh hell yeah I wanna make one of those now

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you do play that through fuzz, do it on a big loud amp and profoundly cut all the lows and low mids, and then marvel at the feedback you get.

I don’t have a big amp but I’ll try running it through one or two thr10x’s to see how horrible I can get it. Maybe I’ll have to use a long cord and play from another room.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

experiencing wrist pain today after playing way too much guitar last night! :whitewater:

this sucks, i have a bunch of music inside me, but i have to take the day off and try again tomorrow.

Wrist pain is the worst. I recently had take off a month of playing because I injured my right wrist baking (pathetic I know). My injury was pretty tricky. I could carry a 50 pound dumbell no problem but turning a doorknob or putting on my seatbelt hurt alot. Strumming was out. I bought one of those wrist support things and I still wear it in my sleep. That and lots and lots of ice helped. I can play again now but I'm pretty rusty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Me too, couple felt I was cranking my wrist around a little too much doing some G shape and C shape w/ the pinky on the high E stuff but pushed on for a little too long and felt it the next day. I gotta back off and take it easy, play slower so I can focused on staying relaxed and in proper form. No other way to keep moving forward.

That's a good thing about playing every day - if you do something wrong and feel it the next day, you know you have to make a change. Otherwise it just doesn't work out.

Was thinking of asking, anyone have any other tidbits to offer I could sprinkle in with my daily practice routine? Currently it's like this:
- Take a note, incremented a half step from the day before (yesterday I did A, today I do Bb)
- Find that note on each of the lower 12 frets, go around those with a metronome
- Repeat with upper 12 frets
- Go through the CAGED shapes for that root note and maj7/7/m7/m7b5/dim versions of each
- Major scale and minor scale on that note, slow and fast. Then do both with octaves on each note.
- Pentatonic scale on that root, slow and fast. Then do that with alternating strings
- Two different spider exercises from that note
- 16th note chromatic exercise

Then I finally get started on the exercises from my book (the Parkening book) and that gets me to about an hour total when I start getting tired and take a break. Work on songs later in the day.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

got the mixer and the mpc set up with aux send/return, oh yeahh. now all my stuff has a permanent home. mic's set up too

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I can only play guitar for short bursts anymore. Pretty sure I have early stages of arthritis or repetitive stress injuries. poo poo sucks.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

So I have a question for your Katana wielders out there.

I read earlier in this thread that the Katana's clean signal doesn't "break up" like a tube amp would it just starts to clip once its pushed past the limits of the speaker. Is the idea then to use the "gain" knob in that situation to spoof the break up? Also if I wanted to use the katana as my clean signal into an FX loop to stack ODs/Fuzz etc will the pedals essentially do that?

I am not a very long time player and I'm dabbling with this stuff for the first time so if this is a stupid question please let me know.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Stringent posted:

I've got a little theory puzzle for everyone. This is from some piano music I'm working on, and I know what I think is going on, but I wanted to see how my analysis lines up with everyone else's. The colored sections are each a different chord, key signature is Gb major, but the piece has modulated to Cb major in this section.

I'll spoiler my analysis here:

Yellow: CbMajor - tonic
Red: Abb7 - tritone substitution of supertonic secondary dominant
Green: Gb7 - dominant

My partner is a professional (classical) pianist, and she looked at this and called the red a neapolitan chord, then stared a bit longer and said that she thinks you're right, and that the two terms are (in this case at least) equivalent.

I'm relaying after the fact and don't know much music theory, so I might have gotten this wrong.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

TheTrend posted:

So I have a question for your Katana wielders out there.

I read earlier in this thread that the Katana's clean signal doesn't "break up" like a tube amp would it just starts to clip once its pushed past the limits of the speaker. Is the idea then to use the "gain" knob in that situation to spoof the break up? Also if I wanted to use the katana as my clean signal into an FX loop to stack ODs/Fuzz etc will the pedals essentially do that?

I am not a very long time player and I'm dabbling with this stuff for the first time so if this is a stupid question please let me know.

I don’t have gobs of experience with thousand dollar tube amps, but with single coils into a Katana MkII 50w, I select the clean channel, set the gain and volume to 100%, EQ knobs at noon, then turn off all the effects except maybe reverb at 9 o’clock, and it makes the Katana feel great. I added “boost” at 9 to 11 o’clock to get the tube screamer (set via BTS) to howl where I wanted it, and I’m off to the races. Depends on your pickups, your pick attack, and your personal preference.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Stringent posted:

By the way, if you are in any way feeling stuck on the guitar, go find a classical teacher that will teach you some Bach. No matter what the instrument Bach is the answer.

from a while back, but thank you for this. i got out a bach thing i hadn't played in about a year and had a lot of fun with it. bach is the GOAT for sure.

i have been playing classical guitar for about 5 years at this point and only as of this year am able to consistently make decent sounds out of it. the biggest motivator has been recording myself improvising EVERY DAY for, at this point, a few months. i recommend doing this - you will quickly learn your own habits and get so bored by your own playing that you'll start learning new stuff.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Gramps posted:

I can only play guitar for short bursts anymore. Pretty sure I have early stages of arthritis or repetitive stress injuries. poo poo sucks.

alexander technique is worth trying. you shouldn't be in pain while playing

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

I'll have to look into this. My playing is pretty ergonomically sound, but my hands are hosed up from using a computer so much. Not really sure what I can do there other than tweak ergonomics outside my playing. Honestly giving up playing computer games with a mouse and keyboard might be what I really need to do.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How much computer games have you played? cuz i've played pc games and guitar since i was 13 which is like over half my life ago. Unless you're like a million years old you can probably still recover your wrists and fingers

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

muike posted:

How much computer games have you played? cuz i've played pc games and guitar since i was 13 which is like over half my life ago. Unless you're like a million years old you can probably still recover your wrists and fingers

Lol I'm 40. A good majority of my hand pain is just being old and typing all day for work. The games just don't help. I already remap crouch to a mouse button because the default of LCTRL makes my hand cramp just thinking about it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagine actually crouching!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

a.p. dent posted:

my piano teacher is an alexander technique instructor as well, and man it's made a world of difference for me

a foolish pianist posted:

My partner is a professional (classical) pianist, and she looked at this and called the red a neapolitan chord, then stared a bit longer and said that she thinks you're right, and that the two terms are (in this case at least) equivalent.

I'm relaying after the fact and don't know much music theory, so I might have gotten this wrong.

i was hoping for an answer like this, i've only really studied jazz harmony and figured there was probably a classical harmony name for it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I'm playing Ring Fit and guitaring in my free time, don't talk to me about squats while doing left right ab crunches to try and row boat up a raging riger

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

lots of :words: about songwriting

for too many years, i disregarded chord inversions. i assumed "meh, it's the same triad, same sound, who cares?" only when i started doing a systematic study of triads on guitar did i see how many different sounds you can get out of the basic diatonic triads. this gives you a LOT of material to work with for songwriting (and is really just the beginning of exploring harmony on guitar).

it's worth doing this in a complete way, for instance: take a key, say G major, and start writing down triad movement for every diatonic triad in rows. it's good to write the notes out at first so you can see the different ways of moving from chord to chord.

first row: G major root position closed triad (G-B-D)
write how it moves to Bm, Em, C, D, Am, F#dim (if you don't already know, you'll quickly see that some triads are "closer" than others and this order reflects that)

second row: G major first position closed triad (B-D-G)
chord movement to Bm, Em, C, D etc

(snip)

fourth row: Am root position closed triad (A-C-E)
chord movement to C, F#dim, D, Em etc.

then you play through these on guitar and see how they make different sounds. a side benefit: playing through the rows for non-tonic chords will teach you the feeling of each mode.

here's an example of doing this in A major from my notebook, it seems insane but is extremely worth the time because once you see the patterns, you'll just "get it" from then on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm playing Ring Fit and guitaring in my free time, don't talk to me about squats while doing left right ab crunches to try and row boat up a raging riger

Ugh, video games make you move now?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crabcore ?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

if anyone's wondering, i took my antidepressants and am feeling better now. sorry for destroying this thread.

i think the best thing to do for me would just be to start from something other than a chord progression. maybe i'll find a key that sounds like what i want and try to write a melody first, or start from lyrics and go "how do i want to color this". just gotta find a process that works.

i suspect that one of the things i'm running into is that i'm not really working with anyone. i would probably benefit from doing some songwriting with someone else who's done it, before trying to do it on my own, if that makes any sense. being able to bounce off someone else's inspiration instead of making it all come from within at such an early stage in songwriting.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a.p. dent posted:

for too many years, i disregarded chord inversions. i assumed "meh, it's the same triad, same sound, who cares?" only when i started doing a systematic study of triads on guitar did i see how many different sounds you can get out of the basic diatonic triads. this gives you a LOT of material to work with for songwriting (and is really just the beginning of exploring harmony on guitar).

it's worth doing this in a complete way, for instance: take a key, say G major, and start writing down triad movement for every diatonic triad in rows. it's good to write the notes out at first so you can see the different ways of moving from chord to chord.

first row: G major root position closed triad (G-B-D)
write how it moves to Bm, Em, C, D, Am, F#dim (if you don't already know, you'll quickly see that some triads are "closer" than others and this order reflects that)

second row: G major first position closed triad (B-D-G)
chord movement to Bm, Em, C, D etc

(snip)

fourth row: Am root position closed triad (A-C-E)
chord movement to C, F#dim, D, Em etc.

then you play through these on guitar and see how they make different sounds. a side benefit: playing through the rows for non-tonic chords will teach you the feeling of each mode.

here's an example of doing this in A major from my notebook, it seems insane but is extremely worth the time because once you see the patterns, you'll just "get it" from then on.

yeah i think i talked about something similar in here months ago. altering the intervals between the notes in the chord should in theory make the chord sound a little bit different in its voicing, if that makes any sense.

when i was doing all my bitching i kind of forgot about all the other modes. i think if i learned them that would be an easy way for me to get closer to where i want -- less common feelings in those modes than just the obvious major key jumps, without necessarily being minor, would probably help me a good amount. it's just daunting. hard to get myself to do it.

to everyone else:
i really do enjoy writing songs and i don't want it to seem as if i'm trying to force anything. i just got frustrated with myself, unable to see anything to fruition after so long.

i did violate my biggest rule though which is that i got pissed off at the medium and form instead of being patient with it and as far as i'm concerned, that's the biggest mistake you can make.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

don't discount the importance of actively listening to lots of different kinds of music, regularly. it's something we'll keep saying, because it's vital

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nishi koichi posted:

don't discount the importance of actively listening to lots of different kinds of music, regularly. it's something we'll keep saying, because it's vital

yeah i hear you... i was just frustrated with "i want to get a song done".

in terms of inspiration or just building a catalog of neat things to steal, it's been invaluable. especially soul and rap, just by measure of having different drum beats than the same few rock ones. disco is the other side of that coin though, in a fun way, where it's the simplest beat and it doesn't matter. it's been really cool to me to listen to the charts lately and hear some of that stuff coming back -- doja cat rules.

it's tough because it feels like kind of a narrow scope of stuff that speaks deeply to me. i don't really care about subject matter, but just in terms of composition and style of song i guess, it's rare that stuff really feels super close. i feel like i've learned a lot though, from every band i've been obsessed with.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just smash out some power chords and be happy

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
modes are fun and useful, and you don't even need to write your whole song in the same mode! you could be in a major key progression, doing normal major key stuff, then boom, play the bVII from mixolydian to get a dark, rock vibe. if you know the important chords in each mode (the ones centered around the defining tones of that mode) you can throw in borrowed chords for a quick unexpected effect that's a lot of fun for the listener

in fact, that'd be a great way to take one of the weezer chord progressions you like and make something really different out of it. i kinda want to try it now

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

weezer / rivers cuomo singlehandedly got me into music because i was hearing well written songs with thought out melodies for the first time in my life. up until that point, i was mostly spending time with my mom, who listened to contemporary christian music, and when i was with my dad, i was hearing 80s hair rock, because that's when he came of age. i was 12 and heard blue and pinkerton and it just became a part of me in a lot of ways. i couldn't really relate to the lyrics -- i'd been homeschooled up to that point in my life -- but it just felt inspired and purposeful and real in a way that, you know, poison didn't.

rivers told a story once, where he was a metal guy in high school and wanted to be a rockstar, and moved out to LA, and he thought that the more minor pentatonic notes he could play in a section, the more successful he'd be. then it all came crumbling down, and he described his mindset as "i wanted to learn how to shred a chorus, what's the equivalent of shredding but for a chorus" and i think that's awesome. a lot of bands i've liked but haven't loved, or have only liked for a few weeks and then moved on, they're OK at writing songs, but have decent taste for what's going to end up good and what songs to put out. rivers is AMAZING at writing songs, but he thinks lame things are cool. he has weird judgement for what to go after, what to put out, and so on. but i admire that his technique is just completely there, and a lot of it was something he wanted to cultivate. and he did that all fairly late, in his early 20s.

weezer also singlehandedly convinced me guitar solos weren't stupid, because again, i'd been exposed entirely to wanky shredding. weezer stuff was kinda shreddy but suuuuuper melodic and felt like it added to more than just the lead guitarist's body count

psychedelic-era XTC songs left me in awe of unique angles to take on basic songs -- turning a basic love song into The Mayor of Simpleton -- and interesting, dynamic arrangement.

bloc party (lol) taught me you could play fast and still be thematically thoughtful at the same time.

Modern Baseball taught me is that it's good to keep a song short ("when it starts to feel forced, that's when you bail"), and also you can just abruptly change scenes in between sections and it's fine. some of their songs feel like they're built on a phrasing scheme -- two sections will sound similar, like an A and B phrase, then they'll do a different section with a much different chord progression and rhythm, and it feels like a C phrase almost. wild.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snowy posted:

Just smash out some power chords and be happy

Also honestly as much as musicians give themselves a hard time and are their own worst critic, most audiences don't know poo poo about music.

Yes, its like food in that you can taste bad food even without being a chef, but still.

You can play power chords and noodle on pentatonic and people will think you're Steve Vai if you do it with confidence. Anybody who doesn't play guitar either doesn't give one flying gently caress about guitar music, or they think its impressive to be able to play anything that doesn't sound obviously bad.

Look at punk music.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

landgrabber posted:

a lot of it was something he wanted to cultivate. and he did that all fairly late, in his early 20s.

I am very afraid you are setting yourself up for a harsh disappointment with this attitude; The idea that early 20s is "late" to become a millionaire rockstar is a horrifically high bar to hold yourself to. In my experience the vast majority of people do not have the ability to have and conceive of appealing musical ideas that young no matter how much chops they may have or how hard they have studied music, and many don't have those benefits. Some do but you shouldn't force it if it doesn't happen yet.

In terms of all of this talk about complex theory heavy jazz vs fun dumb rock music I'll say I've been listening to a lot of Black Midi (the band not the genre) lately and they seen like they hop back and forth over the line between "this sounds chaotic and abrasive because it's very complex jazz arrangements" and "this sounds chaotic and abrasive because they are screaming and ripping out their guitar strings", would recommend "near DT Michigan" as a good intro

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ah poo poo, here we go again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the way i like to approach music and theory can be summed up by a Nabakov quote about writing: “I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more.” it's good to cultivate a surplus of knowledge, both technical and theoretical, because you never know how or where it will come out of you. i like surprising myself, which happens more and more as i learn more about the guitar fretboard.

it also helps me not overthink things: if i need a power chord, i'll use one because that's what the music calls for and i won't worry about it being "too simple".

something cool has been happening lately, resulting from lots of visualization practice (specifically visualizing the notes i'm playing on a staff). i am finally finding it easier to figure stuff out by visualizing the staff rather than doing the note math in my head. instead of thinking "okay, i want the 6th of A, i know the 5th is E from A-C-E so F# is the 6th" i just picture an A on the staff and know that the 6th is a third down from it. this way is much faster, and an unexpected benefit from doing lots of reading.