Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

If the original change request was to add subnets on a router and didn't specify touching AD at all then going into AD to add the subnets to the sites (and presumably reverse DNS zones) is not part of the same change.

So it's a new change request to make these changes, and whatever systems you have internally to prevent things being missed off implementations in future.

If the original change request just said "add new subnets to site [x]" with no details of implementation then your change request process is pretty worthless.

it will have been to add them onto the dhcp server (as in on a DC) and simultaneously do the routing changes (As another team does that)

i think they just forgot to do AD sites and services when they did dhcp.

but i think my beef is the 'how do we stop this happening again' element - i dont think we have process for that at all (we think we are bigger than we are)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

If the original change request was to add subnets on a router and didn't specify touching AD at all then going into AD to add the subnets to the sites (and presumably reverse DNS zones) is not part of the same change.

So it's a new change request to make these changes, and whatever systems you have internally to prevent things being missed off implementations in future.

I agree. One of the things I tell my team is that the procedure documented in a change request isn't makework, and it's not entirely just to make sure the person making the change knows how to do it. It's also a way of recording that change approval governs specific steps. If I approve a change, the person follows the change documentation, and it results in an outage, then that's on me and all the other reviewers / approvers rather than the person making the change. We had the chance to foresee and prevent the outage, but we didn't. On the other hand, if the implementer does something not covered by the change plan, and it results in an outage, the responsibility is solely theirs, and that can be real bad for your career if the consequences were bad enough.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I agree. One of the things I tell my team is that the procedure documented in a change request isn't makework, and it's not entirely just to make sure the person making the change knows how to do it. It's also a way of recording that change approval governs specific steps. If I approve a change, the person follows the change documentation, and it results in an outage, then that's on me and all the other reviewers / approvers rather than the person making the change. We had the chance to foresee and prevent the outage, but we didn't. On the other hand, if the implementer does something not covered by the change plan, and it results in an outage, the responsibility is solely theirs, and that can be real bad for your career if the consequences were bad enough.

i think that's the answer - they achieved the underlying objective of having more addresses at a particular site and it works perfectly so it's all good.

we just missed a step and we should learn from it - it's not even causing any user issues so it's no biggie.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sepist posted:

I'm having some difficulty determining what to do with a particular team member. When I was promoted I was handed this person from another team because their role didn't align with their workload but made more sense for the infrastructure team I run. I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem, there is plenty of odds and ends to do. My bigger issue is that their calendar is booked 50% with personal commitments. They have 3 separate 1 hour bookings for walking the dog and 2 hour long bookings for yoga(the yoga is 2 a week, dog is 3 a day). They also have this habit of picking up non-technical tasks, like meeting with other engineer groups to collect needs and turn them into tasks.

They still are doing work, but I don't consider it particularly challenging. Whereas me, as the manager, and our lead, are knocking out a significant amount of our sprint workload and the two other engineers are doing engineering work as well.

I'm just not sure how to deal with it. We've talked about it and I have told them they need to commit more time to engineering tasks, they have their own KPI spreadsheet and I would consider their work valuable, I just need...more? I feel like I'm being very considerate for their personal life but it's an elephant on the team.

This is somewhat me with my team. They are doing perfectly fine doing break fix stuff but I want them to start doing more project work that will directly improve their work life because they won't be spending so much time doing dumb poo poo. As a result I'm giving them a 6 month objective list that we are collaboratively deciding on. Oh you spend a lot of time imaging manually? Let's roll out something to make that easier for you. They now have a broad objective they came up with, have to take ownership of it, and can be used as part of their performance reviews of stuff they accomplished throughout the year.

I have a list of 6 month goals with my management and that should filter down to the team as well. My goals are incentivized by a 10k increase in pay that is written down pending completion, so I am drat sure going to accomplish them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've moved from everyone doing break-fix to having the on-call handle daytime breakfix and escalating/asking for help within the team as needed. Everyone seems to prefer it that way as it allows most people to work on project work and everyone has 1 week on/4 weeks off ad-hoc work and promotes everyone knowing how to break fix the environments.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

I'm having some difficulty determining what to do with a particular team member. When I was promoted I was handed this person from another team because their role didn't align with their workload but made more sense for the infrastructure team I run. I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem, there is plenty of odds and ends to do. My bigger issue is that their calendar is booked 50% with personal commitments. They have 3 separate 1 hour bookings for walking the dog and 2 hour long bookings for yoga(the yoga is 2 a week, dog is 3 a day). They also have this habit of picking up non-technical tasks, like meeting with other engineer groups to collect needs and turn them into tasks.

They still are doing work, but I don't consider it particularly challenging. Whereas me, as the manager, and our lead, are knocking out a significant amount of our sprint workload and the two other engineers are doing engineering work as well.

I'm just not sure how to deal with it. We've talked about it and I have told them they need to commit more time to engineering tasks, they have their own KPI spreadsheet and I would consider their work valuable, I just need...more? I feel like I'm being very considerate for their personal life but it's an elephant on the team.

This strictly a question for management unless they're okay with this employee spending this amount of time with personal stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This strictly a question for management unless they're okay with this employee spending this amount of time with personal stuff.

OP is the management.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In TYOOL 2021 my new company is shipping a desk phone to my house. Problem is, I dont really have space on my desk, nor do I want to run a cable through my living room to hook it up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My employer used COVID as an excuse to migrate to teams voice and it supposedly saves nearly 8 figures/year

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

OP is the management.

I missed that but in any case I guess it's time for one on one meeting where someone's priorities are discussed.

The Fool posted:

My employer used COVID as an excuse to migrate to teams voice and it supposedly saves nearly 8 figures/year

I believe it, hardware VOIP is literally that expensive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We've been shoving people towards Teams / other cloud voice platforms over the past year, out of about 2000 seats we've had less than 100 requests for deskphones. People are more than happy to work from home and use an iPhone app for calls, or a USB headset for longer stuff.

We'd never have gotten acceptance to remove telephones if covid hadn't given us the excuse of "yeah the logistics for this is going to suck".

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I know this has been done to death but for ‘smaller’ shops (aka those not using ServiceNow to magick everything together), what’s your new user and equipment request workflow?

Since I’m now Mr. Manager I want to change our current mess of a pdf form that is printed and signed or sent to Adobe and signed and printed and scanned again (if we’re lucky) into something a little more streamlined.

The other day I got a loving pdf from HR that was filled out minus the manager signature, and later I got a blank one with just the employees name and the manager signature. Not great.

We ask for stuff like specific programs they need access to, equipment, start date, name, the usual.

Ideally we could run this out of our service desk system or use something else that then feeds the data into the system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have all that stuff in our payroll system. Managers get pinging to fill out their stuff every 4 hours and then IT gets an email with the info.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our timing for transitioning telephony to Teams for everyone except the contact center couldn’t have been better, we got it done in February of last year.

When they sent everyone home from the office, the entire company didn’t skip a beat.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

When I got my first big boy job out of college, we had Avaya VOIP phones. Having a fancy desk phone made me feel like I had "made it". After moving to Skype and then Teams Voice, I hope to god I never have a physical desk phone ever again.

Unrelated - back then, the word on the street was that our administrative staff were tasked with calling people's lines at random to see if everyone was keeping their voicemails updated. The expectation was that you would state the current week and what days you would be in the office. Was this a normal thing anywhere else or was it just my toxic corporate hellscape?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cenodoxus posted:

The expectation was that you would state the current week and what days you would be in the office.

i've never had a desk phone before but what the gently caress?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

Unrelated - back then, the word on the street was that our administrative staff were tasked with calling people's lines at random to see if everyone was keeping their voicemails updated. The expectation was that you would state the current week and what days you would be in the office. Was this a normal thing anywhere else or was it just my toxic corporate hellscape?

Cenodoxus posted:

toxic corporate hellscape?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It all makes sense now

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

George H.W. oval office posted:

It all makes sense now

"full of opportunity" :allears:

J
Jun 10, 2001

My desk phone now has over a year's worth of unheard voicemails on it. Technically I could forward those calls to my cell but I haven't missed anything important in a year so why bother? All those voicemails are almost certainly cold sales calls, users trying to bypass the help desk, and wrong numbers. Good riddance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ignored my voicemail so long I got an email from the help desk asking if I wanted it and if not they could delete it for me. Of course I said yes.

Then some years later they upgraded to voip and the new system reinstated my voicemail.. which I still ignore. But now we have Slack and no one uses phones anymore so it doesn't matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People get in trouble here if they don't at least delete their voicemails after x days. Managers get reports how many voicemails their users have every week.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I know this has been done to death but for ‘smaller’ shops (aka those not using ServiceNow to magick everything together), what’s your new user and equipment request workflow?

Since I’m now Mr. Manager I want to change our current mess of a pdf form that is printed and signed or sent to Adobe and signed and printed and scanned again (if we’re lucky) into something a little more streamlined.

The other day I got a loving pdf from HR that was filled out minus the manager signature, and later I got a blank one with just the employees name and the manager signature. Not great.

We ask for stuff like specific programs they need access to, equipment, start date, name, the usual.

Ideally we could run this out of our service desk system or use something else that then feeds the data into the system.

There are dozens of different technical solutions that you can use but if you don’t have hr buy-in you’re going to constantly struggle with compliance.

It works best if your hr can say “yes, you can have access to our system” but if you don’t have that you’ll need hr’s help keeping hiring managers compliant.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Cenodoxus posted:

When I got my first MSP job - which was a 4 person operation targeting small businesses with one or two servers - the employee handbook said that everyone was expected to update their voicemail greeting every day with the current date.

I had a waking nightmare flash before my eyes where I had to quit in my first week or two because there is no way in hell that I would ever do that.

No one ever checked. Also, no one else did it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I deleted my voicemail and I did not realise how long some people will just let it ring if no answers because we don't have a busy function or anything like that:(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We have been trying to get management to let us move forward with a long-planned Teams PBX project to replace an ancient PBX and the idiots are going to wait until everyone is back in the office before they do it. Thankfully, won't be my problem much longer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cenodoxus posted:

When I got my first big boy job out of college, we had Avaya VOIP phones. Having a fancy desk phone made me feel like I had "made it". After moving to Skype and then Teams Voice, I hope to god I never have a physical desk phone ever again.

I had to record a new message every day when I worked for a company with a big red X as a logo. I did it for about two weeks and then recorded a generic one and left it at that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Biowarfare posted:

i've never had a desk phone before but what the gently caress?

Maybe this is a left over relic, but it's to let people know if you are even in office. So I might record a greeting like, "Hi this is Bonzo. For the week of May 9th I'll be in office 9-5 and upcoming PTO is June 1-5"

or something like that. Mainly its so if someone leaves me a message Monday morning, but I'm out for two weeks, they'll know why I'm not calling back. However in the world of email, text, IM, social media, sky writing, etc. that's sort of not needed anymore.

My (former) company gave me a phone and a few years later gave us access to Jabber. Soon I just used Jabber all at the time and removed the phone from my desk so I could add another monitor. Even then I barely used it since most of my calls and meetings were webex.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

When I got my first MSP job - which was a 4 person operation targeting small businesses with one or two servers - the employee handbook said that everyone was expected to update their voicemail greeting every day with the current date.

I had a waking nightmare flash before my eyes where I had to quit in my first week or two because there is no way in hell that I would ever do that.

No one ever checked. Also, no one else did it.

I used to install phone systems for a living and every day was a walking nightmare. Imagine you work in an office, you are on the phone every day all the time Friday you go home, and Monday you come in, and there's just a new phone there with new buttons, features, different extensions, everything. And there's 100 people as confused as you and I'm standing around in a tie saying "no no no it's 'transfer' 'extension' 'transfer'" and you ask how the lines are setup, what's line 1? am I'm trying to explain that a voip system doesn't have "lines" like a key system and everyone hates me and I want to die

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I refuse to even record a greeting. You get the machine lady telling you whatever. I had someone in management pester me over it repeatedly when I was younger and I finally just said that I don't want anyone leaving me voicemails and if that discourages them from doing so, then good. Such a dumb thing.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I used to install phone systems for a living and every day was a walking nightmare. Imagine you work in an office, you are on the phone every day all the time Friday you go home, and Monday you come in, and there's just a new phone there with new buttons, features, different extensions, everything. And there's 100 people as confused as you and I'm standing around in a tie saying "no no no it's 'transfer' 'extension' 'transfer'" and you ask how the lines are setup, what's line 1? am I'm trying to explain that a voip system doesn't have "lines" like a key system and everyone hates me and I want to die

Please, trigger warning.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

In TYOOL 2021 my new company is shipping a desk phone to my house. Problem is, I dont really have space on my desk, nor do I want to run a cable through my living room to hook it up.
Any system for which a desk phone could be shipped to your house can support softphones. Whether or not your phone people are willing to do it, or whether there's some absurd licensing cost associated, those are open questions, but if they can send you a desk phone they can provision you a softphone.

If you can't get them to work with you on that, at least the wire aspect can be dealt with because in the 802.11ac era the experience with a WiFi phone finally doesn't suck. I have a lot of clients shipping Yealink T53Ws to employee homes with great results.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I believe it, hardware VOIP is literally that expensive.
While I'm definitely a proponent of softphones on a personal level, this isn't really true. Saving 8 figures has to be mostly on traditional PBX vendor licensing and/or support contracts, not the phones themselves.

A cheap but functional desk phone costs $35. One that does everything 95% of users need their desk phone to do costs $45. One that has WiFi and Bluetooth for easy WFH costs $100, and the top-of-the-line executive touch-screen phone comes in a bit under $200. To get to 8 figures we'd have to be talking about hundreds of thousands of phones. And even then it'd be a one-time cost plus maybe a few more a year, certainly not significant annual savings.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

And there's 100 people as confused as you and I'm standing around in a tie saying "no no no it's 'transfer' 'extension' 'transfer'" and you ask how the lines are setup, what's line 1? am I'm trying to explain that a voip system doesn't have "lines" like a key system and everyone hates me and I want to die
God this brought back a lot of memories I had repressed...

So glad we have a platform with working BLF and parking lots to deal with these people now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wolrah posted:

and the top-of-the-line executive touch-screen phone comes in a bit under $200.

???

Poly CCX 600 is usually around $400. Then add the wireless headset.

I think you can save a lot of upfront cost with going the softphone route, but I assume most people are going to give users a flex budget or something for headphones that will cost more in the long run. If you're budgeting like $100 every 2 years (probably closer to $200, tbqh), you are going to spend more on that than you would on a handset over ~10 years or whatever.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We have desk phones here but I don't know who uses them. Probably the office havers. I'd love to see us go to teams, we're in the middle of the long migration to full O365 stuff and are a global company, so the pandemic was just an "ahh these are the tools we need" moment.

Mine has never rung and I've been here a month & it's still assigned to someone else "technically." I have a work iPhone and so does everyone else who could possibly need one. We really should eliminate.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolrah posted:

Any system for which a desk phone could be shipped to your house can support softphones. Whether or not your phone people are willing to do it, or whether there's some absurd licensing cost associated, those are open questions, but if they can send you a desk phone they can provision you a softphone.

I have a softphone, I have been using that since I joined. But my manager and most of my teammates are like 15 year company veterans and they are from the phonecall generation instead of IM and email so I figure thats why everyone on our team gets one by default.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

???

Poly CCX 600 is usually around $400. Then add the wireless headset.

I think you can save a lot of upfront cost with going the softphone route, but I assume most people are going to give users a flex budget or something for headphones that will cost more in the long run. If you're budgeting like $100 every 2 years (probably closer to $200, tbqh), you are going to spend more on that than you would on a handset over ~10 years or whatever.

Ew. Buy Yealink instead - all the features, 1/3 the price. Though as otherwise stated, do never buy deskphones anymore. Who still pays full price for Polycom bullshit? It's 2021, we don't have to bend over and take the idiotic hardware VOIP pricing of the 2000s when Cisco wanted $450 for a phone with 100 megabit Ethernet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What can I tell you, people still buy Polycom phones and people still pay a lot of money for them. I have a quote infront of me right now for a bunch of Yealink T58As that come out to almost $450 each over 3 years. Some of that is support, yes, but again, that's what the cost to the business is.

Before anyone says anything, it's not my project and I don't care. :catstare:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Poly have gotten a bit more realistic in the past few years and their new stuff is pretty well priced. The build quality differences between CCX phones and Yealink stuff are really noticeable. But, as always, gently caress hardphones.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

wolrah posted:

While I'm definitely a proponent of softphones on a personal level, this isn't really true. Saving 8 figures has to be mostly on traditional PBX vendor licensing and/or support contracts, not the phones themselves.

A cheap but functional desk phone costs $35. One that does everything 95% of users need their desk phone to do costs $45. One that has WiFi and Bluetooth for easy WFH costs $100, and the top-of-the-line executive touch-screen phone comes in a bit under $200. To get to 8 figures we'd have to be talking about hundreds of thousands of phones. And even then it'd be a one-time cost plus maybe a few more a year, certainly not significant annual savings.

That I what I mean, if I am not mistaken even if you buy a Cisco VOIP Hardphone off of Ebay you'll still have to pay the cost to license it and attach it whatever management software.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Okta is having an outage that has knocked out almost all of our internal and client facing services. This happens once a year, and once a year someone says "why don't we just replace okta with azure AD" which also has outages so if we ever did that the conversation would become "why dont we replace azure AD with okta"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sepist posted:

Okta is having an outage that has knocked out almost all of our internal and client facing services. This happens once a year, and once a year someone says "why don't we just replace okta with azure AD" which also has outages so if we ever did that the conversation would become "why dont we replace azure AD with okta"

What about on-prem authentication instead? :dadjoke: