Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’m glad the race size issue came up cause it’s not something I’ve ever had to worry about. My main was a Halfling Druid and I’ve never played an alt larger than a Froglok.

I did remember Shamans get Shrink pretty early and assumed that would do the trick. I hadn’t considered the hassle of having to swap it in and out of my spell list all the time.

How much of a pain would it be boxing one evil/one good race in Classic? I know I’d have to invis the SK for some of the Druid ports. But it’s been 15+ years so I’m operating mostly on sketchy memories of days gone by. My routine was to take new characters to GFay and do that followed by Crushbone for belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

One thing worth noting is trolls are way better than ogres for alchemy due to starting city proximity to all the vendors for it.

BGrifter posted:

How much of a pain would it be boxing one evil/one good race in Classic? I know I’d have to invis the SK for some of the Druid ports. But it’s been 15+ years so I’m operating mostly on sketchy memories of days gone by. My routine was to take new characters to GFay and do that followed by Crushbone for belts.

Not really a big deal since you can outrun everything easily with sow. Kunark is a pain in the butt since guards there are sow speed so if you zone into FV docks as evil without invis you will probably die. If at all possible make your two characters share a starting city, especially if one can't gate but that's less of a big deal if one is a porter.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 12, 2021

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Those two FV dock guards nearly killed my level 60 raid geared and AA'd shaman. They were ruthlessly stunning me every 2 seconds as I was trying to run back to the translocator to zone out. They're like level 50 for gods sake!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea starter city is actually a fairly large consideration for early expansions of a TLP, since it determines where you'll be able to port yourself to (a big deal for classes without bind/gate, and even if you do have it, being able to port to an actual useful city is always nice). Barbarian is an exceptionally unpopular race for that reason.

I played for a year on mangler and thought I had had enough EQ nostalgia but hearing rumors of this new interesting ruleset might have me try it again.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the most exciting thing about mischief server is all the content it will generate, I won't be dedicating a lot of time to playing there myself but if any of you eq goons do play on it, please share all the bullshit you encounter so I can live vicariously through you

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Seconded, I haven't played in years but I thrive on the drama

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh thank god, they're gonna have a second server at launch so hopefully it won't be a complete shitshow like Aradune was.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Daybreak is making a lot of non idiotic choices lately and it makes me sad because it's less funny

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Indecisive posted:

yea starter city is actually a fairly large consideration for early expansions of a TLP, since it determines where you'll be able to port yourself to (a big deal for classes without bind/gate, and even if you do have it, being able to port to an actual useful city is always nice). Barbarian is an exceptionally unpopular race for that reason.

why? can't you just bind somewhere else as soon as one of your guys is level 12/14? is something different on TLP?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

cmdrk posted:

why? can't you just bind somewhere else as soon as one of your guys is level 12/14? is something different on TLP?

Theres an ability called origin all classes have now that allows them to return to their starting city. It is different from gate.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Origin puts you directly next to your classes initial Guild Master.
A lot of class/race combinations have Origin spots that put them very close to a Book for getting to POK when PoP activates.

For example, Human Monks from Qeynos have a very fast run to the POK Book.

Hey, Gate potions are expensive!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

wood elf > high elf > freeport > neriak (I think trolls can start here?) > dwarf > gnome > halfling > troll > ogre > qeynos > erudin > barbarian

this is my 100% super serious tier list

iksar probably fall somewhere between dwarf + troll, kinda far from the old world but tbh once kunark is out you can kinda just live there until velious, then luclin comes + nothing matters anymore

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Indecisive posted:

wood elf > high elf > freeport > neriak (I think trolls can start here?) > dwarf > gnome > halfling > troll > ogre > qeynos > erudin > barbarian

this is my 100% super serious tier list

iksar probably fall somewhere between dwarf + troll, kinda far from the old world but tbh once kunark is out you can kinda just live there until velious, then luclin comes + nothing matters anymore

I understand freeport on down, but why are wood elf and high elf so good?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Not only do they have a book in their newbie/guildmaster zone, but also a major wizard spire you can take to Luclin.

Problem is you have to be an elf.

The exact opposite would be Dark Elf. Especially clerics and rogues. Hope you like running through three frickin zones to get anywhere.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 13, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

wood elf at the start was personal bias tbh but it is a pretty good spot overall, easy access to druid + wiz spire so easy ports

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
ah! thanks guys. i guess it makes those pottery made faithstones useless then.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Freeport cleric and bard is handy for classic era when you’re doing a lot with EC tunnel, but it’s absolute poo poo for PoK books if you have even one box alt. Running through Freeport is a MotoGP level of finesse to traverse without some alt hung up on a poo poo rear end corner or merchant stand pillar in the way.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

koreban posted:

Freeport cleric and bard is handy for classic era when you’re doing a lot with EC tunnel, but it’s absolute poo poo for PoK books if you have even one box alt. Running through Freeport is a MotoGP level of finesse to traverse without some alt hung up on a poo poo rear end corner or merchant stand pillar in the way.

It’s even worse if said alt is an evil race and depending on your bard for invis so when they get hung up and you don’t notice… they get very dead.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Rallos posted:

It’s even worse if said alt is an evil race and depending on your bard for invis so when they get hung up and you don’t notice… they get very dead.

The misery of my existence for all of classic. I ran an all ogre/evil human crew. I won’t be doing that again specifically because of Freeport.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

koreban posted:

The misery of my existence for all of classic. I ran an all ogre/evil human crew. I won’t be doing that again specifically because of Freeport.

At least getting non-kos with the militia as an ogre isn't that hard. Still have to worry about the paladins but you can just stick to the EFP gate/docks area and be safe while traveling to the OOT or PoS DZ.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

At least getting non-kos with the militia as an ogre isn't that hard. Still have to worry about the paladins but you can just stick to the EFP gate/docks area and be safe while traveling to the OOT or PoS DZ.

Yeah, but I also ran a bard so invis song trivialized it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've got no intention to change to the new Mischief server but I'm looking forward to hearing about all the drama and unexpected outcomes of the new ruleset !

So please keep us informed of your adventures and inglorious schadenfreude...

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I’m joining faceless this time around. A lot of OGC people in here. Should be good times.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I've heard their raid loot will be all GDKP. Managing that would be such a colossal pain in the rear end, holy hell.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Solarin posted:

I've heard their raid loot will be all GDKP. Managing that would be such a colossal pain in the rear end, holy hell.

What is gdkp vs I guess standard dkp?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
gold dkp = all the loot is paid for with krono and plat. Whales will eat the loot pool alive.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Dubious posted:

gold dkp = all the loot is paid for with krono and plat. Whales will eat the loot pool alive.

Then ultimately everyone splits the platinum spent at the end of raid? That's definitely kind of nuts. I suppose if you're not a big plat hoarder you can get sort of rich not getting any loot. But jeez it doesn't necessarily reward people who are showing up every raid.

The idea that your core players help you be successful by getting the best loot has some value. Otherwise you end up with a somewhat dissatisfied, and equally important, under geared main raid force.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

My guild did some gdkp raids before and it was kinda nice making some money off the rich players.. but it was only for old content that wasn't part of progression anymore. Definitely seems questionable to do all raids like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done before. Depends on the people involved, I guess.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Gdkp is a great system because if you don’t win anything you get paid out and can likely win next time(s).. Though, with krono, this is going to be people paying the grey market to buy raid loot which is probably not the best approach but the week1 crowd will eat it up because they always do either way. It does make more sense to do gdkp on a server where loot is RNG to me versus a standard raid server. Priests or int casters could make bank on raid though, or some other class that doesn’t *need* upgrades immediately like the tank or melee classes will be fighting over rbb, cof, etc.

Also hello mangler crew I’ve missed y’all. My stupid rear end got tricked into rolling on p99green recently.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

onesixtwo posted:

It does make more sense to do gdkp on a server where loot is RNG to me versus a standard raid server.

Also, since it's FV loot rules, having loot be 'free' rather than GDKP could lead people to sell their stuff rather than using it to help the guild. You'd have to constantly check up on people to make sure they weren't unloading their gear, if you were concerned about that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh that's true, that makes more sense then. I forgot the FV rules meant even normally nodrop loot will be tradable. GDKP might be the way to go then, cuz there's no way you can police peoples gear like that

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Yeah fv loot rules does complicate things. I guess it will be interesting how it works out.

I feel like some kind of look if you get best in slot or near best in slot we expect you'll be using it in Era for raids. Then if someone is just selling their raid gear just kick them out of the guild. Setting rules ahead of time would be helpful. But yeah there will definitely be some shenanigans.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think gdkp would draw out a lot of aggression about underperforming players too. Wizards AFK for trash clears, shaman spamming ice nuke, bards getting interrupted and forgetting to start their songs for an hour. All of these people are now directly losing you money by reducing your split, unless they are spending like whales.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I think it has the potential to be good. Provided some reasonable expectations are set. Like not coming to raids with blank gear spots. I predict that a lot of gear will be floating around the economy (at least initially) so the price for items will be not that expensive except for the most chase items. It seems like it could be reasonable to take your split and use it to buy the gear that you need on the open market.

The guild has a post on discord saying that this is experimental so they are gonna be tweaking requirements as we go if problems happen.

Will we need to change the rules as the expansions go on if the population declines? Possibly. But unless they royally screw up how the random loot works or immediately make the next TLP with FV loot rules, I could see this server retaining significant population long term. There is a reason that FV is the most populated live server.

That and the alternative big guild is run by mabbu with mandatory batphones so…. Yeah.

Rallos fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 16, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

didnt mabbu rob + destroy like 2 mangler guilds in a row, or was he just 1 of them, i don't actually know the guy but i heard a lot of 3rd hand drama so idk how the gently caress anyone would trust that clown

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rallos posted:

I think it has the potential to be good. Provided some reasonable expectations are set. Like not coming to raids with blank gear spots. I predict that a lot of gear will be floating around the economy (at least initially) so the price for items will be not that expensive except for the most chase items. It seems like it could be reasonable to take your split and use it to buy the gear that you need on the open market.

The guild has a post on discord saying that this is experimental so they are gonna be tweaking requirements as we go if problems happen.

Will we need to change the rules as the expansions go on if the population declines? Possibly. But unless they royally screw up how the random loot works or immediately make the next TLP with FV loot rules, I could see this server retaining significant population long term. There is a reason that FV is the most populated live server.

That and the alternative big guild is run by mabbu with mandatory batphones so…. Yeah.

if my EQ itch wasn't already well scratched I'd be along for the ride there. I was in a guild with Krim on Coirnav and am sure he'll do a solid job with it. This server is an ideal place to try out the concept with free trade and fast progression.

I'm very interested how they plan to draw people away from this one. I see this one having accelerated progression deliberately so they can get back to launching TLP in March. I could see them doing a phinny clone free trade next year because I'm sure this launch will show it's extremely popular

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Solarin posted:

if my EQ itch wasn't already well scratched I'd be along for the ride there. I was in a guild with Krim on Coirnav and am sure he'll do a solid job with it. This server is an ideal place to try out the concept with free trade and fast progression.

I'm very interested how they plan to draw people away from this one. I see this one having accelerated progression deliberately so they can get back to launching TLP in March. I could see them doing a phinny clone free trade next year because I'm sure this launch will show it's extremely popular

I kind of selfishly hope they don’t do another free trade for a while. I want to ride this one to live.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Solarin posted:

I think gdkp would draw out a lot of aggression about underperforming players too. Wizards AFK for trash clears, shaman spamming ice nuke, bards getting interrupted and forgetting to start their songs for an hour. All of these people are now directly losing you money by reducing your split, unless they are spending like whales.

If you're in a high calibre guild, people are being called out for being bad regardless of the dkp system. I never really got roasted, but people in TEB would poke fun at me for parsing less than 1m damage in VT on a shaman, and eventually the expectation was that I should be top 20 DPS on most bosses.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I am torn about eq. I really prefer slower progression. I don't have the work/family situation to tolerate a fast pace. Constant leveling and aas and quests.

I sort of would love a fv style mangler speed progression server. I'd probably join a low to mid guild and raid once a week or something.

On mangler I was raiding three nights a week and playing the off nights as well. It was fun but man what a time commitment. And also definitely strains any other commitments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Doctor Party posted:

I am torn about eq. I really prefer slower progression. I don't have the work/family situation to tolerate a fast pace. Constant leveling and aas and quests.

I sort of would love a fv style mangler speed progression server. I'd probably join a low to mid guild and raid once a week or something.

On mangler I was raiding three nights a week and playing the off nights as well. It was fun but man what a time commitment. And also definitely strains any other commitments.

Yeah I really miss playing with TEB on Aradune but that's the kind of pace I can only keep during a quarantine. I'm hoping I can find a guild that does instances on wednesdays and thursdays on Mischief since I work all afternoon/evening the rest of the week.