Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't get the logic behind this argument.

The wishful thinking argument is that WHFB was an interesting game of positioning and flanking, but WHFB was getting totally impractical with 20-30 models being a small-middling unit. AOS solves the logistic problem but, love it or hate it, it's a skirmish game.

10mm scale solves the logistic problem. At that scale, you could have a game of ranking and flanking like WHFB, without the setup and expense issues of 23mm.

That said, GW hasn't even implied that they've even considered this as a possibility. It's not even a rumor.

Grumio posted:

Those look gorgeous!

Weren't there some rumours that Warhammer: The Old World could be in 10mm scale?

berzerkmonkey posted:

There is nothing regarding The Old World, other than 1) it's coming at some point from FW ; 2) there's part of a map; and 3) it's likely to happen during the Age of Three Emperors, so it's probably going to be Empire on Empire, similar to HH.

That is all. If you hear anything else, disregard it as wishlisting.

Yeah it's just theories. No rumors or anything.

moths posted:

The 10mm/15mm rumors were also almost certainly AoS haters looking for something else to be outraged over.
Actually quite the opposite. People who were talking about that, think that could be a good way for Fantasy to come back. Smaller mini's would work well with WHFB's style. I was one of them.

It being on a different scale also prevents it from stepping on AoS and 40ks toes, a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

One of the maps released was of Bretonnia, listing a king - Louen Orcslayer - who's main mention in the old lore was leading a crusade against greenskins in 2201, about half a century after the end of the Vampire Wars and a century before Magnus is made Emperor.

Of course, GW can alter the timeline to their wishes, and they'll probably will have to as it's not until Magnus becomes Emperor that Teclis establishes the Colleges of Magic for him that would supply reliable wizards for his armies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually quite the opposite. People who were talking about that, think that could be a good way for Fantasy to come back. Smaller mini's would work well with WHFB's style. I was one of them.

The context for the overwhelming majority of 15mm/10mm is bitter nerds looking for the next End Times Benghazi to rally around. "GW IS GOING TO CHANGE THE SCALE!" fits that narrative really loving well because it invalidates their collection and is a SLAP IN THE FACE of lifelong true fans.

There might be a handful of people thinking it's cool, but in the same way it would be cool if Biden actually was a stealth communist who was going to do half the rad leftist poo poo the chuds are terrified of.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
what

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

The context for the overwhelming majority of 15mm/10mm is bitter nerds looking for the next End Times Benghazi to rally around. "GW IS GOING TO CHANGE THE SCALE!" fits that narrative really loving well because it invalidates their collection and is a SLAP IN THE FACE of lifelong true fans.

There might be a handful of people thinking it's cool, but in the same way it would be cool if Biden actually was a stealth communist who was going to do half the rad leftist poo poo the chuds are terrified of.

Oh no!
Anyway:

How would you guys rate the Shadespire starter box. There's a guy in town selling it, both warbands + the skeleton people (Idk if the skeleton people are the starter set one or if its the chaos one) + The original wave ork guys for 99 USD. Four Warbands and two games board + all the cards for 99 bucks a good deal? I know the tourney people won't let me use em, but eh

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh no!
Anyway:

How would you guys rate the Shadespire starter box. There's a guy in town selling it, both warbands + the skeleton people (Idk if the skeleton people are the starter set one or if its the chaos one) + The original wave ork guys for 99 USD. Four Warbands and two games board + all the cards for 99 bucks a good deal? I know the tourney people won't let me use em, but eh

99 bucks is a pretty good deal for all that! You can still use the warbands and the warband specific cards in tourney-esque games, it's just the universal cards will be out unless you're playing specific formats.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh no!
Anyway:

Definitely a good deal, when you're looking at, what, $150 for the same amount of stuff today. The main "problem" will just be that season 1 warband and card design is relatively janky, but you'll get lots of solid play with those 4 warbands and the universal cards that come with them, especially if you're using them against each other. Heck, I'd argue that they might be better-suited for people new to the game than the Direchasm warbands, which can be pretty complex, relatively-speaking.

(It's true that you couldn't use the universal cards in those sets if you were going to enter a tournament, but the warbands and their faction cards are of course legal and TBH anyone who wouldn't let you use the cards in a pickup game for a learning player is being kind of a dick.)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the responses everyone, he sold it to someone else an hour after he posted the listing and forgot it take it down. :suicide:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

moths posted:

what the gently caress lol?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moola posted:

what the gently caress lol?

It turns out that wargamers are, by-and-large, not especially mentally healthy.

Especially WHFB deadenders, those fuckers is goddamn nuts.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think Warhammer going small scale would unironically be cool. I'd love to see modern GW takes on 10-15mm models, but also Warmaster Revolution exists as an already solid ruleset and with 3d printing/cheap minis available online I'm not going to hold my breath, if only because painting or playing with small scale is something that will alienate a lot of people.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

if only because painting or playing with small scale is something that will alienate a lot of people.
Which is crazy, because people don't realize that painting at that smaller scale is infinitely easier than painting 28mm. Usually, a couple of base colors and a wash and you're done.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm seriously considering getting a resin 3d printer mainly to printer warmhamster tiny models

they're just so drat cute

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd play the hell out of a game about keeping hamsters warm.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Found these and a whole stack of old WD at my parents since they are moving. Nope those will not be thrown.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

I'd play the hell out of a game about keeping hamsters warm.

:yeah:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Verisimilidude posted:

Continuing the work on the Warmaster army. This takes me a surprisingly long amount of time! I gotta keep working on my workflow.

You guys got any instagram accounts or something where I can ogle all your Warmaster stuff, and try to resist the urge to start an army?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

You guys got any instagram accounts or something where I can ogle all your Warmaster stuff, and try to resist the urge to start an army?

i post all my mini painting and art on twitter. i guess i should instagram too but im too lazy

https://twitter.com/PorbleG

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I haven't posted any Warmaster stuff yet but I typically post my painting on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/buttcheeksio/?hl=en

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I haven't posted any Warmaster stuff yet but I typically post my painting on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/buttcheeksio/?hl=en

drat thats a good avatar

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really do like the "other" races of Warhammer outside of the popular ones (actually idk if orks are popular, I just know the imps are). I find the imperials incredibly dour and unpleasant. The designs are great but they're just so drat serious.

Not to shame anyone else's choices in wargames, but this is the big reason why I'll never play space marines. Why when you're forced to play as the "main good guys" in almost every other game or piece of media would you choose to not play the fleshed out xenos / chaos races which are so much more flavourful and enjoyable.

Although I do have burgeoning KO army for AoS, so maybe I've just got Adeptus Astartes Fatigus

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's like that mildly depressing statistic that 25% of players of D&D play a human (there are two dozen+ other races). Even in fantasy land, there are basic bitches.

Edit: honestly though I think the Marines and Stormcast are cool. Just not cooler than any of the other factions. So I wish every starter box wasn't Marines + Other, or Stormcast + Other, and that other races would get videogames and novels and stuff too.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 13, 2021

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Yeah, in hindsight I don't wanna poo poo on anyone's hobby / faction love, it's purely a personal taste thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrDraxium posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I don't wanna poo poo on anyone's hobby / faction love, it's purely a personal taste thing.

Yeah, this. I dunno, some people seem to just have difficulty (or simply no interest in) RPing as anything other than humans. And although that might be boring for some people if the rest of the party consists of humans and half-elves/-orcs (probably is in some cases, to be fair!), it's purely taste.

If it makes it any better though, my first D&D character was a kenku of all things. He was both somehow wildly successful and wildly unsuccessful, as a con artist and grifter. Repeatedly managed to fail conning regular people of a few copper pieces with his rigged ring-toss game and the like, yet he managed to con a trapped, very powerful evil magical being/wizard out of all the riches he had in his pocket dimension under false pretenses before trapping him in it forever, haha :D
(in reflection though, maybe that kinda makes sense? Regular people would be exposed to that stuff a lot more and would be super cynical, however some basic 1 IQ con would slip under the radar for a powerful entity who's been isolated for a couple centuries? I imagine they're used to being taken seriously and not lied to by schmucks like my guy)

Anyway, to be more GW-related, sometimes it also just suits the person's playstyle, too? Like, I've played Mordheim with Orks and Kill Team with Guardsmen. I never really had much luck with Mordheim, since it seemed like the Ork playstyle and I just didn't quite mesh. IGs in KT though? Perfect! Seems like IGs and I were made for each other. Super fun for me, even if they're just regular people and not fantastical space-monsters.
And with Mordheim, I always got the feeling that I'd 'click' better with a shooty-elf faction or whatever that human faction who has knights and lots of archers, perhaps. I guess I also have a strong appreciation for the underdogs, too - individual IGs just seem to be so outclassed against almost anyone, in a 1v1 scenario. So it's always fun when things manage to go their way, whether I'm playing or spectating!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone, he sold it to someone else an hour after he posted the listing and forgot it take it down. :suicide:

That being said, I just picked up this bad boy for 20 bucks. It's basically never discussed, the Cursed City of its lifetime. More painting practice for me.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

The thing I like about playing normal humans is that they're relatable. It's hard to feel any sort of rapport with a sadistic murder-elf, an insane machine consciousness, or a hive mind, but the idea of farmer Jimmy out on the edge of known space trying to fend off demons with his band of brothers feels more approachable.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That being said, I just picked up this bad boy for 20 bucks. It's basically never discussed, the Cursed City of its lifetime. More painting practice for me.

The models are amazing as is the pirate art. There is a fan based rules revamp on Board Game Geek if you think you'll ever play it (I have not)

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Imagined posted:

It's like that mildly depressing statistic that 25% of players of D&D play a human (there are two dozen+ other races). Even in fantasy land, there are basic bitches.

Edit: honestly though I think the Marines and Stormcast are cool. Just not cooler than any of the other factions. So I wish every starter box wasn't Marines + Other, or Stormcast + Other, and that other races would get videogames and novels and stuff too.

tbf, in the most recent version of D&D, Humans are one of, if not the most mechanically powerful choices.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Whoa, let’s not say things we can’t take back. Dread fleet was a loving HORRID rule set.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Imagined posted:

I feel like Stormcast went though this conceptual change halfway through from "Sigmarite Gholae" to "Space Marines" which is unfortunate*. I don't know much about AoS (other than having read Dark Harvest which was really quite good) so I might be off on that.

I liked the Old World too but I only really interacted with it through WFRP.

*: Not least because I think the more weirdly inhuman space marines can be made, the better. I think they're best as horrifying indications of just how fallen and lovely humanity's situation has become that the creation of these things becomes necessary, like tragic or some poo poo?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Signal posted:

The thing I like about playing normal humans is that they're relatable. It's hard to feel any sort of rapport with a sadistic murder-elf, an insane machine consciousness, or a hive mind, but the idea of farmer Jimmy out on the edge of known space trying to fend off demons with his band of brothers feels more approachable.

Yeah ditto. Plus I dislike when being an elf/dwarf or whatever is just bolting a couple of extra stereotypes onto a human chassis.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Signal posted:

yeah I don't understand why goons in particular seem to look down on people who roleplay as humans when other species are available. Like you said, playing someone like yourself in an alien setting is very fun, or playing one of the average "normal" guys in a setting with gods and magic etc helps ground the player

Personally I usually play as elves or orcs or whatever, but I can absolutely get the appeal of playing as a human. Calling people who don't want to play as the elf etc 'basic bitches' is really weird, like do these people also get annoyed that 99% of fantasy/sci-fi books have human protagonists?

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah ditto. Plus I dislike when being an elf/dwarf or whatever is just bolting a couple of extra stereotypes onto a human chassis.

Also this. Dwarf is so often the laziest "other race" option, most of the time Dwarf = a human but louder, shorter and with more hair lol

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just a joking use of a common phrase, probably ill-advised on my part, since it's not something I'd like to see the next page of the thread spent debating/calling me out about.

Someone mentioned earlier they'd seen Dreadfane on the clearance bin at B&N recently, but unfortunately I was unable to confirm that after visiting all three in my town. In fact, only one of them even had it in stock anymore, period. I still picked it up anyway, though, since my wife wanted the Mournflight, and god those minis are amazing.

I'm still bummed I got into it too late to easily pick up Mollog's Mob.

It feels like getting any of those B&N exclusive GW games is dooming yourself to a soon-to-be-discontinued game that nobody locally plays, e.g. Blitz Bowl, Combat Arena, Crypt Hunters, Space Marine Adventures, etc.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 13, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crackbone posted:

Whoa, let’s not say things we can’t take back. Dread fleet was a loving HORRID rule set.

Was it though

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yes?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Was it bad like it was a bad and or boring game or was it bad that some nerd read the rules are started thinking up nonsense scenarios about it

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Imagined posted:

It feels like getting any of those B&N exclusive GW games is dooming yourself to a soon-to-be-discontinued game that nobody locally plays, e.g. Blitz Bowl, Combat Arena, Crypt Hunters, Space Marine Adventures, etc.
Well, yeah? They're not meant to be games that stick around. They're meant to be games that potentially interest someone in the hobby at Large, or are something simple that a kid can pick up quickly and play with Mom and Dad. These are strictly intended as beer and pretzel introductory type games. Even Dreadfane is stand-alone, though you can take the warbands into Warhammer underworlds proper.

Blitz Bowl has got some legs, only because they actually made it compatible with existing Blood Bowl teams, and it's something a little different that the Blood Bowl crowd can get in on

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Was it bad like it was a bad and or boring game or was it bad that some nerd read the rules are started thinking up nonsense scenarios about it

It’s incredibly random, as in “player choice has no bearing on the winner” random. And it also managed to be a slog to play because all the random stuff created procedural cruft.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It sucks enough that there are copies gathering dust available to be picked up for 20 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It sucks enough that there are copies gathering dust available to be picked up for 20 bucks

I wish, I’d love to pick them up to repurpose for a fantasy Trafalgar hack. But I’ve never seen it for less than about 100 bucks.