Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've been reading more 60s Marvel stuff (mostly for early Hulk appearances) and I love how the inner cover is basically a carnival barker trying to seal the deal and get you to buy the drat thing.

I think the first one is also the introduction of the Green Goblin? He works with a film director to get Spider-Man cast in a film and then tries to kill him on set. Not in any clever way by rigging a stunt to go wrong, he just has some guys attack him. Then the Hulk turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Of Marvel's current lineup I would be particularly happy with Zdarsky, Ewing, or Duggan writing F4.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Yo fuuuuuuuuuuck Fantastic Four

That book is garbage and this poo poo with Alicia and Johnny needs to be retconned immediately. Johnny's kind of an rear end but he's nowhere near this level and the rest of it is skeevy trash

You're reading a book by the guy who had doc Ock steal Peter's body then jerk off to his memories of MJ. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Of Marvel's current lineup I would be particularly happy with Zdarsky, Ewing, or Duggan writing F4.

Zdarsky would my pick, based on the X-Men crossover he did, but Ewing would be great too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bring Tom Taylor back and give him Fantastic Four. Or Marjorie Liu.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're reading a book by the guy who had doc Ock steal Peter's body then jerk off to his memories of MJ. You have no one to blame but yourself.

And had Peter watch a memory of Ock and May bangin'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ThomasComicTalk/status/1392803005355921408?s=20

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hell, it already involves mind control of another character in the text of the comic.

I really hope the "biggest change" to ever happen to the FF isn't total horseshit. Unless Johnny kills Alicia for utterly violating one of his friends!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
man, gently caress that guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The idea that it's impossible to have exciting dramatic stories and have characters in a healthy relationship with their SO is so loving toxic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Slott has never had a girlfriend.

i fuckin said it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Slott cites Ben/Alicia as the healthy relationship but Alicia is also using her dad's clay? Um.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Rhyno posted:

Dan Slott has never had a girlfriend.

i fuckin said it.

Johnny Storm committed the crime of being handsome and popular so he needed to be taken down a notch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend got hit by a car while on his bike so I'm in a fuckin mood but I stand by it.

gently caress Dan slott and his "I've clearly never spoken to a woman without putting my credit card down first" bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate Johnny Storm too but I promise if I were given the FF book I would only express that hatred by having heavy objects land on his head from great heights every issue.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hawkeye was right about Ben.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

The idea that it's impossible to have exciting dramatic stories and have characters in a healthy relationship with their SO is so loving toxic.

Mr. and Mrs. X was pretty good. But obviously, they had a lot of history and baggage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Mr. and Mrs. X was pretty good. But obviously, they had a lot of history and baggage.

I meant more like this current bullshit with F4 and Spider-Man bullshit I'm still angry about from decades ago.

X-Men obviously has a poo poo ton of characters, but Scott and Jean have been main characters for the entire new run and seem pretty happy with their marriage and dramatic poo poo happens around them constantly. Having a third might help that.

Edit: Actually bringing up Mr and Mrs X, Gambit and Rogue are still together and happy with each other too, X-Men is basically just people happy in their relationships while dealing with the world trying to destroy everything they've built.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The wealth of fanfiction seems to suggest that people want fluffy romances in media more.

That and explicit loving, but that one's less easy to make canon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bendis had stark and gamora gently caress more people need to be loving these are super powered beings and gods. It’s like saying there’s no banging during the olympics. Completely unbelievable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

That and explicit loving, but that one's less easy to make canon.

Don't make me find that Geoff Johns Avengers panel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bendis had stark and gamora gently caress more people need to be loving these are super powered beings and gods. It’s like saying there’s no banging during the olympics. Completely unbelievable.

Are you saying there's fishbowls full of condoms all over avengers mansion like the Olympic village?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

Are you saying there's fishbowls full of condoms all over avengers mansion like the Olympic village?

It’d be irresponsible if there aren’t

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

One of the best things Hickman did was just go "all the X-Men gently caress each other and nobody gets jealous" so we can have Scott and Emma and Scott and Jean and Jean and Logan and there's no more love triangle bullshit. And you still have happily married couples who don't need to do that with Rogue and Gambit and Kyle and Northstar.

Johnny cheating on his girlfriend is completely out of character for him and pretty much just a character assassination. Johnny is a lovable jerk, not a straight up dick who would cheat on his girlfriend.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Roth posted:

The wealth of fanfiction seems to suggest that people want fluffy romances in media more.

It is kind of funny how much fanfiction is explicitly just a version of a story where absolutely nothing bad ever happens to the characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wanderer posted:

It is kind of funny how much fanfiction is explicitly just a version of a story where absolutely nothing bad ever happens to the characters.

I think a lot of the most popular stuff in fanfiction, or at least in the past which is totally outdated and I'm loving old leave me alone, is stuff that's kind of built on being relationship misery wanking. Stuff like Whedon. Where the instant anyone is happy horrible things happen and nothing ever gets a loving chance to breathe and establish a baseline. I remember being incredibly frustrated by that watching stuff like Buffy. Not to the point I wrote fanfic but I get it.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm tired of seeing super heroes hook up. In the last year Doctor Strange has hosed both Elektra and Captain Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

I'm tired of seeing super heroes hook up. In the last year Doctor Strange has hosed both Elektra and Captain Marvel.

Dr Strange has always been getting that strange though. More than any other hero he's the one that fucks. Historically.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can someone spoil me what Slott did in the latest FF?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

Can someone spoil me what Slott did in the latest FF?

Bananaquiter posted:

Lyja is back on her rapey bullshit (or maybe she was fully controlled by Alicia IDK). Johnny cheats on his girlfriend with Victorius. That wedding got more interesting at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

One of the best things Hickman did was just go "all the X-Men gently caress each other and nobody gets jealous" so we can have Scott and Emma and Scott and Jean and Jean and Logan and there's no more love triangle bullshit. And you still have happily married couples who don't need to do that with Rogue and Gambit and Kyle and Northstar.

Johnny cheating on his girlfriend is completely out of character for him and pretty much just a character assassination. Johnny is a lovable jerk, not a straight up dick who would cheat on his girlfriend.

Possible cat wizard Hickman is quoted saying, while hitting his fist on the table. “We *pound* have *pound* to *pound* give *pound* them *pound* wins!”

Super heroes not being miserable all the time shouldn’t be such a novel concept.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
*throws Spider-Woman #12 across the room*

And yet apparently it loving is!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

*throws Spider-Woman #12 across the room*

And yet apparently it loving is!

See that's at least good drama. Roger is right in how he's feeling, and either he's right about how Jessica feels, or Jessica does love him in return and hasn't realized she's kind of been sidelining him. But you can sympathize with both of them, and neither of them is really acting bad. They're both acting like humans with real feelings and both can grow and there are multiple ways they can resolve their conflict.

Whereas why would anyone sympathize with Johnny now. Slott just made him super unlikable and you in no way want to root for him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have no idea where else to ask this so here goes. At some point Dr. Doom was a sorcerer and he had a mask made of stitched together human skin. I know for a fact this was real but I can't find a single picture of it through google no matter what phrasing I can think of. Am I insane?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you are mistaken, yes. he actually made an entire suit of armor out of magic-infused human leather.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was in Waids run.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you are mistaken, yes. he actually made an entire suit of armor out of magic-infused human leather.

Ok but can you find a picture?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Ok but can you find a picture?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I have no idea where else to ask this so here goes. At some point Dr. Doom was a sorcerer and he had a mask made of stitched together human skin. I know for a fact this was real but I can't find a single picture of it through google no matter what phrasing I can think of. Am I insane?

You're not thinking of The Limper from The Black Company by any chance, are you? That description really sounds like him, for better or for worse! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Who What Now posted:

I tried "Doctor Doom skin armor" and got it, it was from an arc titled "Unthinkable" by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo in 2003.