Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

The Voice of Labor posted:

spring and chaos is a semidocumentary about the poet who wrote the story that night on the galactic railroad is based on. it is also very good

The posthumously published book was so good that it entered the Japanese literary canon despite being based on an incomplete manuscript. I'm not sure there's anything similar in the Western canon. I'm trying to come up with an incomplete Western classic and all I can think of is the Silmarillion, which is just a famous book for nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I don't know what you people are on, I've checked out Re Zero and it's really not great. Started out interesting, I thought this would be a "what if a dipshit nerd has to survive in a n actual medieval world with no modern comforts", but then in episode 1 he immediately gets a magical girlfriend, goes toe-to-toe with a psycho assassin, then gets to live in an enormous mansion with a bunch of little girls with annoying voices that fawn all over him. How is this not a wish fulfillment fantasy. He doesn't have overpowered magic abilities and cries sometimes like a bitch, but he's still a dipshit kid that can somehow solve everyone's problems.

I guess the subversion is that characters don't have vidya game stats like in every other isekai, but the protagonist keeps making dumb references anyway. Also, he never stops being loving annoying.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The only reason Subaru is able to solve any problems at all is because he gets to have do-overs thanks to the curse, but the curse only works after he's already suffered an excruciating death. The first thing he does in isekai world is get killed by some muggers in the street.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

grate deceiver posted:

I guess the subversion is that characters don't have vidya game stats like in every other isekai, but the protagonist keeps making dumb references anyway. Also, he never stops being loving annoying.

what if one of his isekai powers is that all the clear indications that he’s a crazy person with bothersome mental tics are confused by the locals for divine insight, like a Joan of Arc or something?

would explain the harem!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dying really really hurts.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Aaron Sorkin should produce an Isekai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another world where Hillary is the president but loses re-election to Tom Cotton.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Aaron Sorkin should produce an Isekai

every Sorkin show is him being isekaied into a world where libs are right about everything

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The posthumously published book was so good that it entered the Japanese literary canon despite being based on an incomplete manuscript. I'm not sure there's anything similar in the Western canon. I'm trying to come up with an incomplete Western classic and all I can think of is the Silmarillion, which is just a famous book for nerds.

Gogol's Dead Souls

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

grate deceiver posted:

every Sorkin show is him being isekaied into a world where libs are right about everything

Newsroom of the Galactic Heroes

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
so i'm a spider so what has RPG Video Game Aspects, but theres a religion in the world based around trying to get 'the voice of god' (the game telling you you levelled up) to talk to them and theyre insane about it. good twist on that imo

the main characters main advantage is that she has gamer brain

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

spider anime is the actual decent isekai, yes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Newsroom of the Galactic Heroes

Jeff von Newsroom

Bro Dad posted:

Gogol's Dead Souls

I wouldn't include the Russian literary canon in the "Western" canon. But only because all top 5 novels would be Russian.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Raiad posted:

i just want a john brown isekai

instead of the story justifying the main character owning slaves because that's just the law here or whatever, they just use those crazy powers to straight up murder the slavers

it can even actually be john brown reincarnated or something

There's a few isekai manga series that start by showing that the MC is a good guy by slaughtering a bunch of slavers they come across. They're usually hamstrung by other isekai tropes but hey, at least they get their stance on slavery out quick.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its mediocre at best but uh, a hero's war counts as an isekai where one of the main characters just shrugs, drops the main 'plot', and goes to lead a violent semi-democratic revolution in the federation's largely independent duchy where slavery is still practiced. the other hero is aware and sends a bunch of material aid. the federal monarch basically has to shrug and accept it because they declared that the recognized hero is above the law basically.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont recommend reading it, its one of those web novels that has a really neat premise and setting where it largely goes nowhere because the author sucks or didn't storyboard in the slightest

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Larry Parrish posted:

The best isekai is actually grimgar of fantasy and ash, and it's major fail that there's no second season of the anime because it's very beautiful.

the pervert character ruined the show for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Super Robot Wars is an isekai.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The greatest injustice is that there will be no second season of My Roommate is a Cat.

It's about a cat that goes from living on the street to living with a human so it's basically an isekai.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tanya the Evil is the only modern isekai I've ever really been able to get into. I appreciate how honest it is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you can look past the surface level marketing and the godawful fan memes, Tanya the Evil is about God bending the universe to make a libertarian's life a living Hell and it rocks.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ben Ten is not an Isekai because his uncle had huge weird guns

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

the pervert character ruined the show for me.

I tune him out because almost every anime I've ever seen has one of those.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Super Robot Wars is an isekai.
Look I already played SRW X :colbert:

But I'll raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8K1MQkXUY

Edit: Also nuh-uh. Most of Alpha 1 is just a single future Earth setting. If you don't count like Dunbine.

Edit: Woops, I forgot it was X that featured Wataru mostly.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:13 on May 13, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I know it's cool to be like "this popular thing is trash" but all the anti re:zero stuff is pretty dumb. lol at the one guy who watched four episodes out of order and says its crap. I guess I'd grant that it takes a bit to really get good, but once you're in you're hooked. lol at some dude saying it's a power fantasy, suburu's literal only power is to die and suffer horribly. He might be one of the most cursed guys in anime. the fun of the show is seeing him be in all these hosed up situations and see how he can get out of it. especially season 2 really seemed like he was hosed, but somehow they pulled it out.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you can look past the surface level marketing and the godawful fan memes, Tanya the Evil is about God bending the universe to make a libertarian's life a living Hell and it rocks.

My favorite thing about Tanya is that all the 4chan Nazis loved the show. Then they all had to drop it because the writer mentioned he was a communist in an interview.

You have to be pretty god them stupid to not realize the narrative is making fun of Tanya's tryhard psychopathy

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mirello posted:

lol, I know it's cool to be like "this popular thing is trash" but all the anti re:zero stuff is pretty dumb. lol at the one guy who watched four episodes out of order and says its crap. I guess I'd grant that it takes a bit to really get good, but once you're in you're hooked. lol at some dude saying it's a power fantasy, suburu's literal only power is to die and suffer horribly. He might be one of the most cursed guys in anime. the fun of the show is seeing him be in all these hosed up situations and see how he can get out of it. especially season 2 really seemed like he was hosed, but somehow they pulled it out.

Sry people made fun of your favorite harem anime dude

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just google image search'd up re:zero.... hell nah, shawty

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

My favorite thing about Tanya is that all the 4chan Nazis loved the show. Then they all had to drop it because the writer mentioned he was a communist in an interview.

You have to be pretty god them stupid to not realize the narrative is making fun of Tanya's tryhard psychopathy

The Salaryman spends the entire arc of the story being irrationally atheist only to finally have a full on meltdown where he declares war on God, and right wingers are like "based."

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

Sry people made fun of your favorite harem anime dude

sorry for discussing anime in the anime thread, bitch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Larry Parrish posted:

I tune him out because almost every anime I've ever seen has one of those.

The resident pervert in a fairly unfortunate stock character. But there's a difference between a guy trying to peak into the girl's locker room and a guy telling a girl to her face that she's unattractive because her breasts are too small. and she starts crying and he acts like it's her problem.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Didn't know the writer was a communist, that owns. Bit it's pretty obvious because that show just showed what an utterly despicable character Tanya/ the Salaryman are

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Didn't know the writer was a communist, that owns. Bit it's pretty obvious because that show just showed what an utterly despicable character Tanya/ the Salaryman are

Some folks think that because nobody explicitly says "war crimes are bad, you shouldn't do them", that the show thinks it's good when Tanya commits war crimes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"Oh great now this guy gets to live in a mansion with bunch of pretty maids fawning over him"

*main character spends the next several episodes being brutally murdered by the maids and also by a puppy*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Srice posted:

Some folks think that because nobody explicitly says "war crimes are bad, you shouldn't do them", that the show thinks it's good when Tanya commits war crimes.
Might be even a lot of people think that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Might be even a lot of people think that.

Unfortunate but true.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

christmas boots posted:

"Oh great now this guy gets to live in a mansion with bunch of pretty maids fawning over him"

*main character spends the next several episodes being brutally murdered by the maids and also by a puppy*

Kinky

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I forgot about the powerful magical being that for some reason looks like a 9yo girl and speaks with an annoying affectation.

I've spent 5 hours on this show, how much further until it gets 'good'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I forgot about the powerful magical being that for some reason looks like a 9yo girl and speaks with an annoying affectation.

I've spent 5 hours on this show, how much further until it gets 'good'

you know the answer to this question.