Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

The money is coming from their unused federal covid money too, which means there are more than 5 million dollars just kind of floating around for covid stuff that they can't find a "better" use for. lmao.

They just realized they needed a quicker way to funnel it through shady connections. Just LOL if you think 5 completely random citizens will get that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Play posted:

I feel like the only way to prevent this would've been an abrupt and complete lockdown of the original infected area, and of course that would only work with dictatorial powers AND the ability to identify the new virus quickly. Literally setting up a cordon and no one inside can leave or even get close to the cordon. That area would then need to continue to be locked down indefinitely until the virus has nowhere to spread to and dies out, or a vaccine was developed.

And of course if any virus escaped, wherever it escaped to would need to be locked down completely, and so on and so on. Difficult thing to do when people are moving around the globe 24/7.

A legitimate criticism of China is that they acted way too late. They wanted to ignore the problem and hope it wouldn't be a big deal. Eventually they had lockdowns over the whole country, when at the very start they could've locked down a single area totally and completely and saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Yeah the chinese government bears a great deal of responsibility for lying about it and trying to cover it up, Li Wenliang famously got threatened by the cops for warning his colleagues about it very early on.

Maybe next time people will remember the lessons of NZ, Australia, Taiwan and other places that did a good job dealing with covid. It requires strict border closures and quarantine of all travelers, the country has to isolate itself.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Randomly remembered this early Covid lol

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1249142863004348419?s=20

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hakimashou posted:

Maybe next time people will remember the lessons of NZ, Australia, Taiwan and other places that did a good job dealing with covid. It requires strict border closures and quarantine of all travelers, the country has to isolate itself.

We could have done a lot better and we should have slammed our borders shut sooner. That we flattened the curve so well during the first wave was as much good luck as good management. Our second wave exposed the deficiencies.

It's great that we did well in global terms, but we need to lift the bar and gave a strategy for doing better when the next pandemic comes along. We cannot afford to be arrogant about our successes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i dont want to see the world loving health organization weighing in on this ever again after releasing a public statement proclaiming with absolute certainty that covid can't be transmitted through the air in jan 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fur20 posted:

i dont want to see the world loving health organization weighing in on this ever again after releasing a public statement proclaiming with absolute certainty that covid can't be transmitted through the air in jan 2020

Yeah, the WHO made a lot of mistakes too. They've lost a lot of trust.
Basically the report says that everyone pretty much dropped the ball on this and there were failures across the world because hardly anyone applied lessons learned from previous epidemics and pandemics and acted far too slowly and reactively rather than proactively.

Lolie posted:

I don't necessarily think the conclusion is wrong, but I don't think throwing more money at the WHO is the answer to preventing future pandemics.

Agreed.
Not sure what the answer here is, we need a WHO type of body I think, but as it stands the current WHO hasn't performed as it should.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

They figured out how to get Ohioans to take the vaccine.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1392629444808949763

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

God I hate this loving country.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Fur20 posted:

Didn't they also state in the early stages of the pandemic that they had seen no evidence of asymptomatic cases in China?

And there seemed to be a long delay in them declaring it a pandemic as they were arguing that the word "pandemic" no longer existed in their dictionary or something, despite the fact multiple countries were being hit hard.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Australia seems to have settled on Moderna as the booster of choice for next year.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 13, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New cases in the U.K. going up and it’s the Indian variant taking over however they know the vaccinations work against it - hospitalisations are still down 7.4% on last week, and deaths are down 22.2% even though we are at phase 3 of unlocking on Monday.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Australia seems to have settled on Moderna as the booster if choice for next year.

....... if we ever get around to approving it for use, which we haven't yet. :v:

But there's no huge rush, we're jabbing arms at a leisurely pace

quote:

At our current pace of roughly 421,000 doses a week, we can expect to reach the 40 million doses needed to fully vaccinate Australia’s adult population in mid January 2023.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
That seems pointlessly slow because of variants.

learnincurve posted:

New cases in the U.K. going up and it’s the Indian variant taking over however they know the vaccinations work against it - hospitalisations are still down 7.4% on last week, and deaths are down 22.2% even though we are at phase 3 of unlocking on Monday.

Remember it takes about a month between new cases and a change in death rates. Although yeah, cases were always going to go up. It’s the acceleration or lack of that’ll be interesting. The vaccines should blunt it but we’ll see.

Nightmare scenario is the India variant rips through the old and vulnerable and the AZ vaccine is found lacking.

If there’s anything to take away from this it’s that the world can’t sit back and watch developing nations suffer because the virus needs suppressing everywhere at once. Not that this is new information but our glorious leaders still don’t get it.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 13, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People really underestimate white Australia’s willingness and desire to lock down all borders.

The story of Christmas Island is loving wild, they even used it as a covid quarantine zone back in February 2020 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51352145

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Australia seems to have settled on Moderna as the booster if choice for next year.

I think it’s a good decision.

I like Moderna’s mRNA-1273.351 booster and general strategy.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Platystemon posted:

I think it’s a good decision.

I like Moderna’s mRNA-1273.351 booster and general strategy.

Which means Scotty from marketing is bound to gently caress it up somehow.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Regarde Aduck posted:

That seems pointlessly slow because of variants.

Nightmare scenario is the India variant rips through the old and vulnerable and the AZ vaccine is found lacking.
Is there any robust evidence that this is a concern? I thought the known variants weren't different enough to evade the vaccines, and that anything else was just hearsay and pessimism? Genuine question, I've probably missed something...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Regarde Aduck posted:

If there’s anything to take away from this it’s that the world can’t sit back and watch developing nations suffer because the virus needs suppressing everywhere at once. Not that this is new information but our glorious leaders still don’t get it.

Countries with excess doses are already looking at how they're going to allocate them to the developing world. That's especially important as Covax may not be able to provide the amounts originally expected.

That said, immunisation is going to make the biggest difference in those nations but the quantities of vaccine required, and the infrastructure for getting it into the arms of the population, don't exist.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Akuma posted:

Is there any robust evidence that this is a concern? I thought the known variants weren't different enough to evade the vaccines, and that anything else was just hearsay and pessimism? Genuine question, I've probably missed something...

No, no evidence at all, and in fact the lack of hospitalisations in the communities the Indian variant has already taken hold in is proving the opposite.

The actual non-doom answer is thatthr U.K. got away with it with the Indian variant this time. We better hope like hell enough of the rest of the world gets vaccinated and our vaccine makers can keep on top of boosters because next time it might mutate enough to evade vaccines.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Akuma posted:

Some of the mutations that we're seeing in variants apparently increase vaccine resistance. E484K (which is found in the Brazil B.1.1.28.2 variant and the South Africa 501.V2 variant) is the main one but E484Q (India B.1.617 variant) also looks iffy. A small number of the UK B.1.1.7 variant have been detected with the E484K mutation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2#Notable_missense_mutations

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

learnincurve posted:

No, no evidence at all, and in fact the lack of hospitalisations in the communities the Indian variant has already taken hold in is proving the opposite.

The actual non-doom answer is thatthr U.K. got away with it with the Indian variant this time. We better hope like hell enough of the rest of the world gets vaccinated and our vaccine makers can keep on top of boosters because next time it might mutate enough to evade vaccines.

At the moment, although the Indian variant cases have trebled over the last week, they're still at a low enough number and relatively recent so probably won't show up easily as translating into hospital admissions.

As for vaccine breakthrough: https://mobile.twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1392611444970201092

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1392827279944867840
Well then

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If U.K. fauci Dr Whitty says the current vaccinations work against the current Indian variant then I’m not going to believe a god drat word anyone else says :colbert:

I’m utterly sick of the U.K. media trotting out fringe scientists who have an axe to grind or are flat out making money off of doom mongering. The only people who have the real data work for public health England/the NHS and they are not mouthing off in the independent.

It’s been like this right from when the vaccinations started, the scumbags in every paper pandering to the sick fucks getting off on the idea of mass death who don’t want to believe the actual charts,; “so here’s the exact evidence that counteracts what you can see with your eyes saying the vaccinations will stop working tomorrow, feel free to spread this utter slurry over the internet everyone!”

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

haha not here, not for a while yet for me anyhow.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd rather listen to the science than make mask wearing into a political statement but you do you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's going to be hard for me to re-wire myself into not automatically assuming that someone not wearing a mask is a danger to myself. I want to not have to wear a mask but I also don't want people to feel unsafe around me so I might still just keep wearing the mask when I leave the house for a while yet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. has masks outside as optional but inside as mandatory. June 19 that may be dropped but it’s looking like the key word being repeated a suspiciously large amount is “adequate ventilation”.

This would 100% play into what the bus companies want because they were all trying to ban eating and drinking before the plague hit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

If U.K. fauci Dr Whitty says the current vaccinations work against the current Indian variant then I’m not going to believe a god drat word anyone else says :colbert:

I’m utterly sick of the U.K. media trotting out fringe scientists who have an axe to grind or are flat out making money off of doom mongering. The only people who have the real data work for public health England/the NHS and they are not mouthing off in the independent.

It’s been like this right from when the vaccinations started, the scumbags in every paper pandering to the sick fucks getting off on the idea of mass death who don’t want to believe the actual charts,; “so here’s the exact evidence that counteracts what you can see with your eyes saying the vaccinations will stop working tomorrow, feel free to spread this utter slurry over the internet everyone!”

Are you missing the difference between "evade" and "resist"? Just because the variants have a higher vaccine resistance doesn't mean the vaccines are suddenly useless, their efficacy against the variants is just lower

Mozi posted:

i'd rather listen to the science than make mask wearing into a political statement but you do you

The article quoting Fauci says that people still need to wear masks outside in crowded situations

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Fuk u National Express, I will eat my Meatball Marinara footlong on the bus to Edinburgh and make the whole bus smell like a Subway located under a rail bridge for 8 hours, you can't stop me :colbert:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No, I’m saying I’m not getting my information off Twitter and the news. Take all the paranoia in this thread, make it a man and you got one Dr Whitty, so when he starts worrying I do.

I locked my immunocompromised house down for the duration 2 weeks before official lockdown happened because Whitty recommended people stay at home, meanwhile Johnson was bumbling about shaking hands.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

It's going to be hard for me to re-wire myself into not automatically assuming that someone not wearing a mask is a danger to myself. I want to not have to wear a mask but I also don't want people to feel unsafe around me so I might still just keep wearing the mask when I leave the house for a while yet.

This. I'm going to be wearing a mask out in public until the numbers show it's not necessary again, if only for solidarity and maintaining mask wearing normalization

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

I dunno, do you think it might be wise to not make assumptions given that the mutations present in the 1.617 variants have also produced reduced efficacy in other studies, particularly against less performant vaccines like AZ?

Does that look like doomposting from the CDC? Are they well known for being over cautious?

Obvious this needs further study, but some preliminary results suggesting 1.617.1 is 7-fold more resistant to neutralization by sera suggests a cautious approach as well

The advantage in transmissibility is concerning, just by itself frankly.

But sure, it's just doomposting, whatever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

No, I’m saying I’m not getting my information off Twitter and the news. Take all the paranoia in this thread, make it a man and you got one Dr Whitty, so when he starts worrying I do.

Well I'm real glad for you but it would perhaps help your case if you would post a loving link to whatever it was that Whitty said rather than shout at people, your current posting style is not contributing anything to the thread

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why does it have some sort of resistance if it still has the spikes which we can gently caress up with the vaccine?? I don’t get how it works. Like how can it be more resistant if your white blood cells are still walking up to it like connor mcgregor and pulling its skin off?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was ranting about how sick I am with the British press as a whole doom posting and spreading lies, because it came up for the 100th time in my Apple newsfeed but go off I guess,

Last I checked this was GBS not D&D

Edit: Whitty does our press conferences - he’s the next slide please guy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bape Culture posted:

Why does it have some sort of resistance if it still has the spikes which we can gently caress up with the vaccine?? I don’t get how it works. Like how can it be more resistant if your white blood cells are still walking up to it like connor mcgregor and pulling its skin off?

It has modified spikes. They still bind to the same parts of our cells, but they’re different enough that some of the antibodies you make may not bind to them well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I was ranting about how sick I am with the British press as a whole doom posting and spreading lies, because it came up for the 100th time in my Apple newsfeed but go off I guess,

Last I checked this was GBS not D&D

Edit: Whitty does our press conferences - he’s the next slide please guy

You’re not really obligated to engage with stuff you don’t want to even in D&D so don’t get too wrapped up in it

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Blitter posted:

I dunno, do you think it might be wise to not make assumptions given that the mutations present in the 1.617 variants have also produced reduced efficacy in other studies, particularly against less performant vaccines like AZ?

Does that look like doomposting from the CDC? Are they well known for being over cautious?

Obvious this needs further study, but some preliminary results suggesting 1.617.1 is 7-fold more resistant to neutralization by sera suggests a cautious approach as well

The advantage in transmissibility is concerning, just by itself frankly.

But sure, it's just doomposting, whatever.

I think we would be friends in real life.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medicine/fulltext/S2666-3791(21)00073-2
Title: Co-dominant neutralizing epitopes make anti-measles immunity resistant to viral evolution

Fig 1:

quote:

In a new study, Muñoz-Alía and colleagues demonstrate that characteristics of the polyclonal antibody response to measles virus play an important role in constraining viral evolution. The neutralizing activity of the polyclonal antibody response to infection or vaccination can be either narrowly focused on one or a few immunodominant epitopes, or broadly reactive to multiple codominant epitopes (Figure 1 [see post attachment]). For influenza virus, the polyclonal neutralizing antibody response is narrowly focused, such that single viral mutations can reduce neutralization by 10-fold or more. Muñoz-Alía and colleagues show that in contrast, the neutralizing antibody response to measles virus targets numerous codominant epitopes.

Thus, the existence of numerous codominant neutralizing epitopes constrains the antigenic evolution of measles virus. While a virus like influenza can often gain a large immune escape benefit via just a single mutation, measles virus may require five or more specific mutations to gain a comparable benefit. Even for a mutation-prone RNA virus, acquiring five specific mutations is an extraordinarily low probability event—especially because, as Muñoz-Alía and colleagues report, these combinations of escape mutations are highly functionally deleterious.

These results have important implications as we think about the potential for antigenic evolution of new viruses, such as SARS-CoV-2. Early in the pandemic, some suggested that coronaviruses were likely to be antigenically stable (like measles virus) because they have a lower mutation rate than other RNA viruses due to possessing a polymerase with “proofreading” activity. But the result of Muñoz-Alía and colleagues shows that mutation rate is just one factor affecting viral antigenic evolution, and the potential for antigenic evolution also depends on the immunodominance of the polyclonal neutralizing antibody response. Unfortunately, this response to coronaviruses appears to be narrowly focused such that single viral mutations can have large effects on polyclonal antibody neutralization in a manner more similar to influenza than measles virus. This narrow focusing of the neutralizing antibody response is probably a major factor enabling the antigenic evolution of SARS-CoV-29 and other human coronaviruses.

tl;dr: Because of the nature of our antibody response to COVID, single-point mutations on the spike protein have the ability to cause a lot of our anitbodies at once to no longer recognize the spike protein, so they no longer latch onto it and gently caress it up.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-plans-drop-mask-requirements-fully-vaccinated-people-n1267249?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

too soon imho