Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

DOMDOM posted:

Glassdoor is always interesting. Given their garbage pay and dipshit management you have to wonder how many of these are 20-somethings straight out of college/new to the workforce. (all of them)

I like that CEO approval across the board is basically negative. Even in the positive reviews.

Choice quote:

Chris Roberts, if I saw you in the street, I would offend the gently caress out of you.

lead producer, less than 1 year?

really amateur management, you don't say?

The most damming thing I noticed on linked in was that most of the big game dev studios had average tenures of around 5-7 years. I infer that's because most people stick it out to finish big titles or get completion bonuses.

CIGs average turn over was two years on par with a call centre or (insert miserable place to work). The average includes all the big name villains who have been there from the start if you take them out, employment at CIG looks like walking through a revolving door to play one round of musical chairs before going off to get a real job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Kosumo posted:

If you love your son you would be buying him an Idris so in his early fourties he could be a captain of his own ship.

Maybe the game is in beta even by then

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Is this part of the famous AMD letter?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kosumo posted:

If you love your son you would be buying him an Idris so in his early fourties he could be a captain of his own ship.

Crap, I knew I forgot something. Brb, buying three just in case. And Javeline, because he's firstborn.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
BANANA WAS NOT A JOKE

https://i.imgur.com/j5hudmE.gifv

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sankis posted:

if Star Citizen truly allows dogs in their office then i will become way more interested in the game if their streams just become them showing off their dogs

We allow dogs in the office when you are working from home!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
CR's hands when he tries to describe his vision

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DOMDOM posted:

Glassdoor is always interesting. Given their garbage pay and dipshit management you have to wonder how many of these are 20-somethings straight out of college/new to the workforce. (all of them)

Bonus one from yesterday. Choice quotes:

quote:

- Repetition of constantly not actually finishing or finalizing gameplay features, and keep having to redo things because something signed off can’t actually be achieved or a director has changed their mind last minute.

- The engine and tools provide giant hurdles on achieving even the simplest things, along with fighting with the build stability and editor crashes on a daily basis.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I don't know if it's a force reaction thing, but players are getting flung everywhere by innocuous geometry this patch

This guy doesn't even make it to his tonk

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleWildOxBabyRage-uqIr3WC5mGObBVBc

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pixelate posted:

I don't know if it's a force reaction thing, but players are getting flung everywhere by innocuous geometry this patch

This guy doesn't even make it to his tonk

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleWildOxBabyRage-uqIr3WC5mGObBVBc

The starcitizen experience transcends language. I don't know any german but im 99% sure he said something about "dying" and "what?!"

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 13, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Flannelette posted:

The starcitizen experience transcends language. I don't know any german but im 99% sure he said something about "dying" and "what?!"

Yeah, he basically said "What the hell is that wind???" (when the airlock opened and he got pushed back) and then "God, am I dead??? What the hell???"

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Bingemoose posted:

You just don't understand.

Story of my life.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
VO artist tries game. Waits 5 minutes to get served at bar, while fan talks excitedly about the experience.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1020986088?t=3090s

e:

Just documenting other unexciting footage. Game crashes on uberfan repeatedly

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgitatedLovelyFiddleheadsJonCarnage-DGze01xRDwvss3Sm

https://twitch.tv/videos/1020234190?t=7995s

e:

:lol::lol: this loving guy

https://twitch.tv/videos/1020234190?t=10875s

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 13, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: Space is unforgiving. Make sure you bring a Tonk along.

Rocks (not space) are unforgiving. Fire at them, I guess.

Wait the tank fires using explosive propellant? All this time I assumed it had either a rail gun or some kind of pew pew laser because this alternative makes even LESS sense than the whole thing did before!

Shells and their propellant take up a lot of space! A lot of space this thing doesn't loving HAVE. The turret is tiny and there's no loving room anywhere on this thing to store more than like 3 rounds of ammunition.

And reminder: this is the game where the chucklefucks behind it have written loving 16 000 word articles on how fidelitous the degradation of air quality on their ships is supposed to be. And then they do THIS?!

E: I can't let this go, it's so god drat below stupid. We don't use explosive propellant in tank shells and bullets because it's somehow the best possible imaginary option, we use it because we haven't figured out the better options yet. Aside from taking up a lot of space, explosive propellant charges are pretty dangerous because they're EXPLOSIVE. If they catch on fire, they will explode at which point your entire tank explodes with it!

You have rail gun technology. You have energy weapons. Why the gently caress would your tanks be firing rounds using explosive propellant?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 13, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait the tank fires using explosive propellant? All this time I assumed it had either a rail gun or some kind of pew pew laser because this alternative makes even LESS sense than the whole thing did before!

Shells and their propellant take up a lot of space! A lot of space this thing doesn't loving HAVE. The turret is tiny and there's no loving room anywhere on this thing to store more than like 3 rounds of ammunition.

Plus why the gently caress would you use explosive propellant in a vehicle that is required to operate in "not the Earth's atmosphere"? Combustion requires things like "air" which are often in short supply in space, so this makes NO loving SENSE AT ALL!

And reminder: this is the game where the chucklefucks behind it have written loving 16 000 word articles on how fidelitous the degradation of air quality on their ships is supposed to be. And then they do THIS?!

Bullets (and shells) work just fine in a vacuum. Or underwater. They carry their own oxidizer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Imagined posted:

Bullets (and shells) work just fine in a vacuum. Or underwater. They carry their own oxidizer.

Yes, you are right. I got too excited by this whole thing. But it still doesn't make a god drat bit of sense.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Bingemoose posted:

Watching all these youtube videos I don't get why they are prioritizing putting bathrooms, showers, opening compartments to things like the quantum drive, and a ton of other esthetics instead of putting all their man power into it's myriad of gameplay issues. Who gives a gently caress if you can take a poo poo on your ship. But hey the bushes are strong enough to stop a "tonk".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about things.

I believe the reason they don't prioritize fixing the things that are truly broken is because CIG has locked themelves into a physics engine that is clearly and completely broken and unsuitable to an MMO. It is still a re-skinned Cryengine. The recommended total map size on Cryengine V is not recommended by Crytek to be represented as more than about 4 km wide. Larger than that and you create collision issues and weird movement issues. Star Citizen appears to have scaled their maps up to hundreds of miles wide, if not thousands, so everything you're seeing on screen is actually microscopic as far as the engine is concerned, and the collision detection on these ships behaves the way much smaller objects would when they collide. So any sense of mass or inertia in these spaceships is basically gone, and fatal collision issues are a non-stop occurrence because it seems every surface in the game is supposed to have collision detection.

It should have occurred to CIG very, very early on to switch physics engines and for some reason they didn't, they simply locked themselves into this one and piled more problems on it. They built a pretty house on a quicksand foundation and kept building it taller and taller. Meanwhile it's still a pretty house, but not much prettier than its neighbors anymore and also completely unlivable.

On the fly "server meshing" was supposed to work around this, but if there was a possibility that this would work we'd have seen evidence of that by now.

So in short they really need to change their game engine or they will never be able to make this a real working game.

There are two ways they could do this. First, they could develop a separate game in parallel with the current one and then just import all the art assets and everyone's character data and ships, but CIG appears to have severe manpower issues and also severe management issues, and this would require a brilliant team leader and not a narcissistic moron.

The other possibility is that they could shut down the game for as long as it takes to switch to something viable (this would not fix optimization issues but could solve the #1 problem with this game), and they could do that with the people they have, but that could mean shutting down the server for 6 months or more. Their lifeline of whales could dry up in that time.

Failing either of these things, there are simple fixes that could improve optimization like allowing some benign object clipping by massively cutting down on collision detecting (you'd get more FPS and far fewer explosions) and also instancing zones more. Chris Roberts does not seem to want to do these things and seems to think this is something that can be solved with money or something that can be ignored.

Meanwhile adding new rooms like fancy bathrooms in their ship environments is a lot easier and something they can do with the staff at hand and then make money. Like over half their team are artists right now anyway. Then they can turn around and sell more ships to the gullible and keep their revenue up.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Plus why the gently caress would you use explosive propellant in a vehicle that is required to operate in "not the Earth's atmosphere"? Combustion requires things like "air" which are often in short supply in space, so this makes NO loving SENSE AT ALL!

E: I can't let this go, it's so god drat below stupid. We don't use explosive propellant in tank shells and bullets because it's somehow the best possible imaginary option, we use it because we haven't figured out the better options yet. Aside from taking up a lot of space, explosive propellant charges are pretty dangerous because they're EXPLOSIVE. If they catch on fire, they will explode at which point your entire tank explodes with it!

You have rail gun technology. You have energy weapons. Why the gently caress would your tanks be firing rounds using explosive propellant?

actually that is realistic for railgun in earth environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ZINwOSE0A&t=160s

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I think you posted this to the wrong tab, the internal Turbulent Discord is the other one

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A guy I know presented some volumetric clouds he's creating in CE for a big-ish new game on local forums.

Asked him why didn't they buy the solution from CIG.

His reply:
I really pity people programming Star Citizen. That engine is simply horrible. And we don't demand that much from it as SC does.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Multiple reasons:
- Longer barrel life compared to railguns, lower logistic footprint and higher ready state.
- Lower muzzle velocity compared to railguns allows for larger explosive/payload
- Ability to fire specialized shells with payload at all compared to direct energy weapons.
- Lighter munition compared to missiles, more ammunition carried compared to rockets/missiles. But heavier buy-in weight for the bare-bone weapon system.

I'm not saying that this is a thing they thought about, because you don't actually have multiple shells to chose from so a direct energy weapon or railgun would've done the job of just shooting at stuff just as well or better. But in a better thought out sci-fi setting a point can be made for ballistic weaponry being retained on some vehicles. Especially ones that might have to deal with a variety of situations. That said, tanks burn up very well from munition catching on fire. Blow out panels help but will probably still end in a mobility kill for the hit vehicle. For a sci-fi vehicle I would go with a two-component propellent, preferable liquid, that gets just squirted into the weapon and is stored separate in an inert state. A thing that the US Army looked into in the 80s iirc, but that is not yet feasible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dark Off posted:

actually that is realistic for railgun in earth environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ZINwOSE0A&t=160s

:aaa:

That's insanely cool, what's causing that?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is the Tier 0 tonk to get backers wanting tonks.

The pew pew laser tonk is in 6 months, for $40 more (new money only) and 12+ months away is the railgun tonk (punches above it's weight!) for $80 more (new money only)

This can only be good for Store Citizer

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i asked the SC subreddit what the point of the tank was. like, how it would actually be used. apparently it will make piecemeal of prison turrets. so there is a gameplay loop for it after all!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yeah, he basically said "What the hell is that wind???" (when the airlock opened and he got pushed back) and then "God, am I dead??? What the hell???"

Yeah, "that wind" which surprisingly doesn't blow when he walks out, but suddenly strikes the second he makes contact with the ramp.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Mind blown at the guy trying to start from scratch with no money.

Mainly because that's what I did, and he's absolutely doing it wrong. You can't go into it with an expectation anything works - no rentals, no cargo transit, no waste to server crashes.

Real way to play from the ground up is a couple of low bounties in your starter ship, use that money to purchase the laser LMG w / 6 clips and a set of medium armor, then you rush repeat the 890 jump Boarding Action mission like 20 to 30 times until you can afford the vanguard warden or sentinel. Buy it, slap a panther repeater on it (or the gun that does more damage if it gets hot, if you a... fancy guy) and you've unlocked the ability to solo the toughest bounties and travel around the entire system at the highest speeds. The end. You win SC.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:aaa:

That's insanely cool, what's causing that?

At the moment, it's simply the firing process vaporising part of the shell (or sabot) and even the barrel itself, and those bits are hot enough on their own to create a nice lighting show. On top of that, they react with the oxygen in the air and just plain old burn… a lot.

At higher speeds, it would get even worse since the air wouldn't move out of the way fast enough, get compressed and heated and break apart into it a plasma — pretty much the same as when things return from orbit.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I mean, their tank doesn't have armor implemented (whatever that means), I don't think they ever think about it harder than 'how to make it look cool' and 'how can we monetize it'

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: What type of person loves SC?

:reddit: posted:

I have brought a few folks onto SC but only few become deep fans (like me). It makes me wonder what type characteristics predict that someone will become an SC fan. Here are some I have observed:

- deeply appreciates detail
- seeks immersion and realism
- grew up loving sci fi
- loves ships and vehicles
- loves Star Wars
- is a fan of Bladerunner
- is patient
- likes to be part of something bigger than a game (feels like they are part of something new) (needed to tolerate bugs)
- is happy to just hang out and just watch the Verse go by. Needs a certain type of person for this I think to like going to virtual conventions:)
- appreciates good design
- not necessarily an FPS fan … debatable here but I suspect FPS fans won’t chase a game like SC

What else?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate posted:

:lol::lol: this loving guy

(sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/o3ph8St.mp4

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Love the sudden silence as the brain desperately tries to process and retrace events to find an explanation.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

not a bug, that's anti-tank mine, they were secretly added in the latest patch, you can't prove otherwise!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Lammasu posted:

You know that disease where scar tissues causes a guys penis to bend? The tanks turret reminds me of that.

Please, go on.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What do you mean why? You dared say bad things about starcitizen so croberts instantly struck you down.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the subreddit are creaming themselves over the revolutionary concept of capacitors

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

marumaru posted:

the subreddit are creaming themselves over the revolutionary concept of capacitors

... what?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dwesa posted:

not a bug, that's anti-tank mine, they were secretly added in the latest patch, you can't prove otherwise!

Star Citizen: Why?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ISC is a big reason that Thursdays are my favorite day of the week.

Capacitors, finally! Really looking forward to this one.
Please, community, don't eat the vehicle team alive if the episode leaves things a little ambiguous.

Creating the vehicle experience team with Yogi and the bois has been one of the best decisions CIG has made. - Change my mind.

ooooh drat this is a good one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Citizens can get themselves hyped for the even the tiniest shred of news from CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

The Titanic posted:

It's cute people like the tanks because they are a new toy today, but I don't see the longevity or use of them in comparison to the actual game. That usually means it's just more junk and fluff in a game that's already more 4K artwork than substance... but oh well. Nobody cares.

We had the same situation when the AA gun JPEG got released.

Mirificus posted:

All this talk about kitchens made me realize that we have a huge gap in the ship line up for dedicated Food trucks and flying food establishments. The Privateer was touted as a Truck stop, yet lacks a proper Diner or Food court.

I say at the very least we need a proper large sized food service ship with seating up to around 40, room for a fully staffed kitchen, and a proper Chef profession game play. It wouldn't even need to be very fast.

Of course its gonna need weapons to protect itself. Milspec to make it competitive against other capships that might attack it.

:five: This is why I love Store Citizen.