Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I wonder how Mike Davis felt about ACB not being able to name all the components of the First Amendment.

I wonder if he would say that if you're a Circuit Court judge being nominated for a spot on the Supreme Court and you can't name all the protections in the First Amendment, you shouldn't (1) get promoted; or (2) stay in your current job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Grassley's chief nomination counsel, the guy who helped screen judicial nominees for the GOP and worked to push Gorsuch and Kavanaugh through the Judiciary Committee, is not necessarily a great source on whether a judge is suitable.

No but he is a great source on how and why Republicans are planning to discredit Biden's nominees. I dropped the tweet without context so people could see the video and maybe comment on whether his interpretation is right or wrong, since I personally have no idea how elementary of a question that really was. Ironically, in providing some context, I incorrectly gave the impression I agreed with him, which was not my original intent and in fact something I had tried to avoid doing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This was posted in the USPOL thread but since this thread's scope is widened a bit it's worth reposting here. The NRA tried to move itself to Texas and declare bankruptcy there but a judge denied this as they were blatantly doing it to avoid NY regulatory action rather than for financial reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/nra-bankruptcy.html

quote:

The National Rifle Association’s attempt to evade a legal challenge from New York regulators was tossed out by a federal bankruptcy judge on Tuesday, in a ruling that cast further doubt on whether the group’s embattled chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, would remain at the helm after three decades in power.

The ruling was a victory for Letitia James, the New York attorney general, whose office is seeking to remove Mr. LaPierre and shut down the gun rights group amid a long-running corruption investigation.

Mr. LaPierre, the face of the American gun lobby, now battered by the N.R.A.’s internecine warfare and revelations of extravagant personal spending, had sought to end-run Ms. James by relocating to Texas and filing for bankruptcy there. But the gambit instead proved a strategic blunder: The testimony over a 12-day trial only buttressed Ms. James’s contentions of corruption, and led the judge, Harlin D. Hale, to declare, “The N.R.A. is using this bankruptcy case to address a regulatory enforcement problem, not a financial one.”

Judge Hale, the chief of the federal bankruptcy court in Dallas, also said Mr. LaPierre’s move to file for bankruptcy without telling the group’s board of directors, or his own chief counsel or chief financial officer, was “nothing less than shocking.”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gonna need a new title:
The US Legal System: No, not "justice"

I'll see you in Court!

SCOTUS and Friends

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can understand someone not being able to spout of a specific standard of review, but they should know what rational basis review means.

I'm stuck wondering whether this is better or worse than one of Trump's nominees not knowing what a motion in limine is.

I'm assuming what what said was fine and dude is misquoting her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My understanding of “rational basis test”, from nothing other than osmosis through this thread and other lay sources, is that if the government can come up with any reason at all for doing a thing, they get to do the thing. Like, the rational basis test was used in the case of the Muslim Ban (that officially wasn’t a Muslim ban, but that officials had been quoted in referring to as a Muslim ban).

I suspect that Boardman is not yet more ignorant than I in this matter. Her answer is perhaps better explained by an overabundance of caution. She did not want to give an inexact definition and have her words picked apart, but in doing so she blundered into providing a worse soundbite.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 13, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Platystemon posted:

My understanding of “rational basis test”, from nothing other than osmosis through this thread and other lay sources, is that if the government can come up with any reason at all for doing a thing, they get to do the thing. Like, the rational basis test was used in the case of the Muslim Ban (that officially wasn’t a Muslim ban, but that officials had been quoted in referring to as a Muslim ban).

I suspect that Boardman is not yet more ignorant than I in this matter. Her answer is perhaps better explained by an overabundance in caution. She did not want to give an inexact definition and having her words picked apart.

You've got it exactly. Judges (hi, former admin law judge here) have to know about a very broad scope of law and tend to prepare for specific cases in advance and take time following the case to conduct research before issuing their opinion. So she didn't specifically have every single legal term from all of history ready to go, but her answer was not bad as far as it went. The tricky part is not the test itself but knowing when to apply it vs when to apply a higher level of scrutiny.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 13, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm assuming what what said was fine and dude is misquoting her.

Yeah that seems like a very safe assumption.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

I suspect that Boardman is not yet more ignorant than I in this matter. Her answer is perhaps better explained by an overabundance of caution. She did not want to give an inexact definition and have her words picked apart, but in doing so she blundered into providing a worse soundbite.

Yeah actually listening to the clip now, this sounds like it.

For context, this is her background:

quote:

Boardman began her career as a law clerk for Judge James C. Cacheris of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia from 2000 to 2001. From 2001 to 2008, she worked as an associate at Hogan & Hartson (now Hogan Lovells) in Washington, D.C. where she was selected to serve as the senior associate in the firm's pro bono department. From 2008 to 2019, she served at the Federal Public Defender's Office for the District of Maryland, including four years as the first assistant federal public defender.[3]

Anyone who's done eleven years as a federal public defender is qualified to be a federal judge.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cool!

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1392835040111955969?s=20

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Did it work or was it a waste of time?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Going by how Kavanaugh has been ruling lately he seems more like a Kennedy retread than anyone was expecting. So I'm going to go with yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

What's cool about it? What do you think of it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Main Paineframe posted:

If it may please the court, "Beer Whisperer" is a way cooler title than "Associate Justice"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

[looks at Kavanaugh's decisions since he got on the court] It looks like Justice Kagan made a very good decision to love bomb the rapist who helped steal an election. Also I had no idea she hired him to teach at Harvard Law when she was the dean after he'd tried to railroad Clinton and steal an election.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 13, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know Main Paineframe if you really want to bully us into commenting on news stories you could change the thread title so we're reminded every time we click on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone who's done eleven years as a federal public defender is qualified to be a federal judge.

I want a SCOTUS comprised entirely of former public defenders. Less ivy league types would be nice as well but as long as they actually have PD experience and aren't boot licking fascists or religious zealots I'd take it.

People need to never stop calling him a rapist to his face and I hope he dies mad.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can understand someone not being able to spout of a specific standard of review, but they should know what rational basis review means.

I'm stuck wondering whether this is better or worse than one of Trump's nominees not knowing what a motion in limine is.

She knew what it was and said so in the clip - first level of review for a question of constitutional law. She probably could have fired off something pretty close, but I dont think shooting from the hip is looked on favorably during the judicial nomination process.

Some Guy TT posted:

You know Main Paineframe if you really want to bully us into commenting on news stories you could change the thread title so we're reminded every time we click on it.

lol ahhh! Stop bullying me!! Lol

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 13, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SCOTUS 2021: AWO Posting Will Result In Bullying

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Interesting, shame and attempts to avoid it can motivate a lot of things

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1392826078390063104

Not surprised these two don't get along given their personalities.
https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1392838077102632961

Lol
https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1392871383907160064

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's wild how the thousand years of conservative Supreme Court darkness appear to be on hold because the three Trump appointees come from completely different wings of the party and don't really like each other very much.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Some Guy TT posted:

It's wild how the thousand years of conservative Supreme Court darkness appear to be on hold because the three Trump appointees come from completely different wings of the party and don't really like each other very much.

Also Kagan harnessing the power of Brunch and Liberal Elite Society Snobs for good so Justice Rapist would not carry through on his plan to take revenge on all Democrats. That sure wasn't on my Fall Of America Bingo Card. :shrug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1392766797862957056

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I just want to know what drugs Gruender was on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Mississippi's supreme court would like to remind everyone that they also can do whatever the gently caress they want and nobody will stop them.

https://twitter.com/FowlerSarah/status/1393282145074954249

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Burn the ballot initiative process just so people can't toke up cops can terrorize black people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Also worth nothing the MS court only mentioned this ballot initiative and not all of them. One of the previous initiatives passed in the same way was a Voter ID requirement so I hope someone sues to get that thrown out even though the MS courts will be more than happy to let that one stand for whatever bullshit excuse they feel like giving.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For anyone who didn't click through, the crux of the matter is that the part of the Mississippi constitution that allows for ballot initiatives is worded in a way that means it only works if Mississippi has five (or more, I guess) congressional districts, and it currently has only four.

quote:

(3) The people reserve unto themselves the power to propose and
enact constitutional amendments by initiative. An initiative to amend the
Constitution may be proposed by a petition signed over a twelve-month
period by qualified electors equal in number to at least twelve percent
(12%) of the votes for all candidates for Governor in the last gubernatorial
election. The signatures of the qualified electors from any congressional
district shall not exceed one-fifth (1/5) of the total number of signatures
required to qualify an initiative petition for placement upon the ballot.
If an initiative petition contains signatures from a single congressional
district which exceed one-fifth (1/5) of the total number of required
signatures, the excess number of signatures from that congressional district
shall not be considered by the Secretary of State in determining whether
the petition qualifies for placement on the ballot.

The way that article is worded means that even if you get the desired number of signatures on your petition, only 80% of them count since no congressional district can count for more than 1/5 of the total and there are only four congressional districts. Apparently there have been efforts to amend this part of the constitution legislatively so that it makes sense, but none of those efforts has yet succeeded.

Functionally speaking, the MS supreme court just ruled that no amendment initiative can be constitutional and so the entire system is moot.

The transparently partisan part of it arrives at this point of the AP article:

quote:

People are gathering signatures for several other proposed initiatives, including one to authorize widespread early voting and another to expand Medicaid. Kendra James, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Michael Watson, said Watson’s staff is reviewing the Supreme Court ruling to see how it will affect other initiatives.

Justices on Friday did not mention two other ballot initiatives that Mississippi voters approved in 2011, after the state dropped from five congressional districts to four. Initiative 27 requires people to show government-issued photo identification before voting. Initiative 31 limits the use of eminent domain — the practice of governments from taking private property for other uses.

Conveniently, they decide that something the right doesn't like (wider marijuana access) is invalid, and whoops wouldn't you know it that means the whole system is invalid just in time to rule out the possibility of people voting their way to popular initiatives that the right also doesn't like, such as early voting and expanding healthcare.

I can only hope that somebody is preparing a lawsuit to invalidate the voter ID one as we speak, but I'm sure that if they want to they could find some workaround like "oh well, this one's already been in place for ten years without incident so clearly it wasn't a big deal that it was invalid when passed in the halcyon days of 2011."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mississippi's supreme court would like to remind everyone that they also can do whatever the gently caress they want and nobody will stop them.

https://twitter.com/FowlerSarah/status/1393282145074954249

how many gun laws have they struck down lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I have no answer for you beyond the question “how many gun laws is the Mississippi legislature passing in the first place” since that seems to be a requirement for them to get struck down

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

None, but they are pre-emptively strangling a potential upcoming initiative that would add a path for record expungement and firearm ownership for non-violent felons (tied to a recreational marijuana initiative). Mostly they are interested in killing the upcoming medicaid expansion initiative.

This would actually kill the state's voter ID requirement and eminent domain transfer prohibition (which both passed in 2011). Presumably we'll get to see some interesting pretzels when they save voter ID.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Stickman posted:

None, but they are pre-emptively strangling a potential upcoming initiative that would add a path for record expungement and firearm ownership for non-violent felons (tied to a recreational marijuana initiative). Mostly they are interested in killing the upcoming medicaid expansion initiative.

This would actually kill the state's voter ID requirement and eminent domain transfer prohibition (which both passed in 2011). Presumably we'll get to see some interesting pretzels when they save voter ID.

This can be appealed to the Supreme Court right? Sounds like something Gorsuch would strike down because of the letter of the law.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It's worth noting that, without the initiative process, Mississippi can't really be described a democracy by any reasonable definition of the term

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1393617317364330496

Charlz Guybon posted:

This can be appealed to the Supreme Court right? Sounds like something Gorsuch would strike down because of the letter of the law.
There's potentially a federal angle here in that the Federal courts are who drew the districts last time, and that's the absurd pretext the state court used to say "welp feds drawing districts means the number of districts didn't get updated in the state law therefore all voter decisions for the past decade are null and void"

It's blatantly obvious what's actually going on here, and it has very little to do with law, representation, or majoritarianism

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1394284425224114176?s=21
:ohdear:

E: scotusblog says that cert was granted to the question of "Whether all pre-viability prohibitions on elective abortions are unconstitutional"

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 17, 2021

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Well gently caress.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Well, guess women's rights were fun while they lasted.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So how do we get out of it this time. Or will there be unexpected in a 5-4 decision.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Congress could always pass legislati— PFFFFFFFT, no, we’re boned. Was nice being people for a while. See you next year with my new Missouri-certified title of “Incubator” until I hit menopause.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gatts posted:

So how do we get out of it this time. Or will there be unexpected in a 5-4 decision.

Personally I'm a fan of Congress ordaining the current court as an inferior court and establishes a new supreme court that has a veneer of legitimacy. They don't even need to worry about the filibuster! One little trick that Breyer hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

Personally I'm a fan of Congress ordaining the current court as an inferior court and establishes a new supreme court that has a veneer of legitimacy.

Can the court be stacked before they vote on it?

Or is this a 2022 vote for Dems so we can stack the court vs vote for Repubs so the libs are owned election extravaganza thing