Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude looks like both Mythbusters.

lol gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Wasabi the J posted:

Mothjerfucker my sides are ruined

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

:drat:

Honestly really good posting all around everyone up till now, when I posted

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Lmao this thread had forty new posts in it,I knew that there was gonna be something Travis related

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

justin re: "what do you think of travis's facial hair"

"I think he looks like a guy who is remarking 'I've rented a jet-ski so many times I may as well buy it'"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Wasabi the J posted:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Well done, well done.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Listening to today's episode and I was honestly expecting at the start for this to be a few episodes long for the prologue, but holy poo poo... 40 minutes into the episode and they are just finishing spring. Is there a part of TQY which hurries things along or is this going to be a 5-6 part prologue?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finneas Cawl is a really good name

that Travis picture is upsetting

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Listening to today's episode and I was honestly expecting at the start for this to be a few episodes long for the prologue, but holy poo poo... 40 minutes into the episode and they are just finishing spring. Is there a part of TQY which hurries things along or is this going to be a 5-6 part prologue?

Me and my friends game runs about 4 hours or so, it does speed up a bit as people get into a rhythm but beyond that no, each season is the same amount of play unless you start playing differently.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wasabi the J posted:

holy poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

finishing up this episode, TQY is good, they're all obviously excited to be doing this which makes it arguably the best content they've produced for TAZ in quite a while

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

eke out posted:

finishing up this episode, TQY is good, they're all obviously excited to be doing this which makes it arguably the best content they've produced for TAZ in quite a while

They are establishing a lot of good stuff for background material. The transition from "magic ore" to "Codite" was an interesting addition, although "magic ore is the remains of a dead god feels like it's been done before and is just sorta being included.

I want bathosphere content so they can start filling out the Sea portion of the map

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/thezonecast/status/1392890614967148557?s=21

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't listened yet, but they posted a progression of the map to twitter and there's a lot on there I really enjoy. I'll probably give it a go soon, because the trash sinkhole and geyser, and the mint clackelroy had me laughing even without context.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m enjoying it well enough so far but it does seem like just this section is going to be like 6 episodes so we’ll see

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a chapter of TAZ is taking more episodes than originally anticipated. (But not disappointed.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, I just realized his mouth is closed. I’m so proud of him. I take back all the negative things I’ve said.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Holy poo poo, I just realized his mouth is closed. I’m so proud of him. I take back all the negative things I’ve said.

the weight of the beard is what was keeping his mouth open this whole time

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

For this portion especially I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have there be a video version so we can see what they're drawing and laying out in real time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

For this portion especially I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have there be a video version so we can see what they're drawing and laying out in real time.

I've been listening with the end-picture in another tab, and while you eventually pick out what they're drawing, it adds a little to the end product, but its mostly when they're dunking on each other for the awful MSPaint stuff they're doing. Like the baby by the coastline.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJz-lBDh9ik

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Your eldest person dies or Your eldest person is sick, and you lose progress on your projects."

Clint picks to kill his self insert, Griffin says it costs a week of progress anyway! Harsh. Weird prompt for a game designed to not make characters, too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you misunderstand the and/or prompt of that card

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im late to this, but the goal and challenge of TQY is "the history of this place doesnt exist yet"

you are then challenged to create it, with limitations and surprises thrown at you in the process. by the end you have created the history of a place. thats games, baby

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Sankara posted:

"Your eldest person dies or Your eldest person is sick, and you lose progress on your projects."

Clint picks to kill his self insert, Griffin says it costs a week of progress anyway! Harsh. Weird prompt for a game designed to not make characters, too.

I've played Quiet Year a half dozen times, and in my experience you generally do end up making recurring characters. But they're unstatted and improvised through play to suit the needs of the game. "The Spokesperson For The Miners" "The Young Woman Who Discovered a Dragon Egg" "That Really Really Angry Guy". You find a few characters through play who would have an interesting perspective, and bring them into the narrative a bit more. You might have multiple people play the character in different contexts, and you the player don't really control them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I do hope they end up making more characters who are good enough to put in the game, as long as it comes up naturally like this one did

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Sankara posted:

(x or y) and z not x or (y and z) by that punctuation

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Big fan of Griffin turning the mysterious cave into the skull of a long-dead giant being. Strong Hyper Light Drifter vibes on that one.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Sankara posted:

It only caused them to lose progress on the ocean surveying project because the old man worked with Fineas Cawl all the other projects advanced

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Can't believe Clint hasn't been licking the podcast toad

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I gotta try listning to this Ethersea intro from the start again, because I feel like I retained nothing from Griffin's infodump at the beginning and I have no sense of what they're trying to actually do in this world-building minigame.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Entropic posted:

I gotta try listning to this Ethersea intro from the start again, because I feel like I retained nothing from Griffin's infodump at the beginning and I have no sense of what they're trying to actually do in this world-building minigame.

The world is ending because everyone did too much magic (it is a climate change allegory). There's a big storm coming that everyone knows is going to make life uninhabitable on the surface, but a bunch of people heard this call from the ocean in the form of a little poem that basically says "why don't you build a new life underwater?" Some folks from each of the four regions came together at this shore to figure out how they're going to build an underwater society, so now they're doing that. At the end of TQY, they ought to have a salient history of how these people built this new society. Then they'll make characters and have somewhere to jump in to. Ideally, this means that the audience is at least a little invested in the world they've created from the jump, and they've sort of created the setting organically instead of jumping in with a fantasy trope and trying to make it work.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Love the idea of asking questions to flesh out the story, I'm just having trouble keeping track of it through a podcast with the two maps, the project timelines, etc.

Also what is this 'plateau' Griffin keeps talking about?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AndrewP posted:

Love the idea of asking questions to flesh out the story, I'm just having trouble keeping track of it through a podcast with the two maps, the project timelines, etc.

Also what is this 'plateau' Griffin keeps talking about?

There was a city of the magic civilization nearish on that plateau. Those people got magicked to the otherworld.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The plateau is a different area of the world that is much higher up than the main area we’re in now. It’s where the Einar, the ones who originally let the Vestiges into the world, live.

I’m gonna have to relisten to that narration and/or check the wiki a bunch of times before the story sinks in I think

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

C-Euro posted:

Big fan of Griffin turning the mysterious cave into the skull of a long-dead giant being. Strong Hyper Light Drifter vibes on that one.

you mean Guardians of the Galaxy? (I kid, but it’s surprisingly ‘trope-ish’)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1392890614967148557

this looks fun, live now

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m enjoying it well enough so far but it does seem like just this section is going to be like 6 episodes so we’ll see

Griffin just announced on the live stream with Brennan that it's going to be 5 episode of The Quiet Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honestly this sounds like a lot of really fun changes

mission based system, crew balancing short-term resources at the beginning of missions versus slower long-term permanent upgrades to their ship, lots of choice of missions, lots of randomness independent of the missions when you set out to see, etc

ship combat super heavily abstracted, e.g.: positioning is a contested roll based on certain states, the party that wins has the positional advantage and gets to set the narrative of how they're handling the fight