Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

So my partner is pretty nervous about me starting motorcycling so I was looking around for a crash detection thing to help ease her anxiety. I found a few phone apps most of which were addled with ads or wanted $$ for questionable performance. I went looking outside the moto products. I knew my garmin edge 520 has a crash detection feature but it has been not super reliable before (maybe they finally fixed it). But I remembered that specialized has a crash detection device called ANGI (it's icedot if you remember that from back when).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=259980-170203&searchText=60519-8000&size=One+Size

So I stuck one on my HJC. It uses an accelerometer to detect a crash, the app is free and there is no subscription or anything. You don't even have to record a ride, you just open the app before you go and wake up the sensor.

If it detects a crash you have a set amount of time (15 to 120 seconds) which you can set, to disable it, before it sends a text/email to your emergency contact with your location.

Made my partner feel a lot better so if that sounds like something yall can use, go to your local specialized bicycle dealer.

poo poo, that's actually a pretty good idea. I don't have coverage in some of my favorite bits of BC, but that's like 5% of my yearly riding if I'm lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's possibility of a false crash report with a phone app? Will it go off if you drop the phone or go over a nasty pothole at speed? All things considered, I wouldn't want my anxiety-riddled partner getting that alert until things are undoubtedly hosed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

What's possibility of a false crash report with a phone app? Will it go off if you drop the phone or go over a nasty pothole at speed? All things considered, I wouldn't want my anxiety-riddled partner getting that alert until things are undoubtedly hosed.

I would assume a good app would try and notify you first, then only try notifying other people if you didn't hit the "Nah I'm alive" button.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Ride with a friend. Solve many problems at once. Out of gas? Siphon from a friend! Want your photo taken in the middle of nowhere? Friend. Have an accident that renders you unable to call for help? Download an app.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No it’s definitely a solution for a very real problem.

I don’t know about you but I don’t bring friends on my commute

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Never go to work without your emotional support rider

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
My wife is also paranoid about me being in a(nother) crash, so I share my location information with her. If she checks it to see I've been in the same place for a while and it's just the side of a road, she knows to panic.

No reason to buy a device with features my cellphone already has.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

This is why I like the little sensor on the helmet idea, it's only triggered if the accelerometer on your head experiences "crash forces".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Xakura posted:

SPOT has pretty bad coverage, can't send more than one message per 20 min, and will just silently drop your messages without notice.

InReach is cool.

I had read about it silently dropping messages, which seems pretty far from ideal for a device like that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Ride with a friend. Solve many problems at once. Out of gas? Siphon from a friend! Want your photo taken in the middle of nowhere? Friend. Have an accident that renders you unable to call for help? Download an app.

I haven't found anyone I like riding with yet (as in on another bike), other than my brother, but unfortunately he only had a bike for a couple years. I can't begrudge him that, he'd rather spend his recreation time going mountain biking or hiking with his wife and dog.

My wife's a great pillion but she's got maybe an hour's worth of saddle time endurance, and that obviously doesn't help the issue of calling for help if we go down.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My only riding buddy witnessed a bad accident first hand and is still traumatized. Once tried riding with two randos and they just took off at their own speed and I didn't like it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

I had read about it silently dropping messages, which seems pretty far from ideal for a device like that

yup, my dad just cancelled his service and requested a refund because it didn't work or do what it was supposed to after he busted his bike's transmission case somewhere in TN with no cell service

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I don't think I know anybody with a bike that I'd want to ride with. They're all either Layer Dans or the guy with a white bike who's more concerned with getting white storm-trooper-ish gear than with being good at riding it. My brother has a whole pile of weird old bikes he's restored and doesn't ride because he's a fixing old stuff person rather than a motorcycle person

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

yup, my dad just cancelled his service and requested a refund because it didn't work or do what it was supposed to after he busted his bike's transmission case somewhere in TN with no cell service

InReach or Spot?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh also:

Russian Bear posted:

the app is free and there is no subscription or anything

I was looking for reviews for ANGI, and it did start out with a $29/year subscription, after the first year of activation... But then this happened

quote:

Matilda Raynolds, product marketing manager at Specialized Australia says of the fee change: “[...] when we launched the all-new ANGi helmet range with MIPS, which transformed the bicycle helmet into a live tracking device, crash detector, and safety beacon, riders were saying that one of the biggest barriers to engaging with ANGI was the annual subscription fee.

“We therefore listened to our riders and agreed that no one should pay a premium for safety. We were quick to adapt and remove the annual subscription fee to activate ANGi.”

Mirabile fuckin dictu, a corporation abandoning the subscription model

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Is there a good solution for carrying drinks on a bike? I just want a cupholder or something to hold a drink or coffee when I pickup takeout.

Usually I put the food in my backpack, but I'm reluctant to put a disposable beverage container in there.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

InReach or Spot?

spot

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

T Zero posted:

Is there a good solution for carrying drinks on a bike? I just want a cupholder or something to hold a drink or coffee when I pickup takeout.

Usually I put the food in my backpack, but I'm reluctant to put a disposable beverage container in there.

I assume Goldwings have cup holders

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

T Zero posted:

I got a Zojirushi thermos that I would put coffee in for transporting that from the coffee shop to my office, I think trying to transport anything that's not fully sealed on a bike is a recipe for a bad time. Unless you have a scooter that you can operate one handed like you would if you were riding a bike carrying a drink.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

I assume Goldwings have cup holders

Yes.
And I mean the plural, is correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

T Zero posted:

When I went to buy my Ninja 250 the seller was super hyped that it came with a drink holder because he had some handlebar-mounted soda can holder monstrosity.

In hindsight that was the first of many many red flags I didn't pick up on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

Buy a ZRX, the well under the seat can handily accept a medium coke and a bag of hamburger

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stroller-U...s_id=9641505031 would do the trick I suppose - I'd be worried about a carbonated drink fizzing up out of it on dodgy roads/with bar vibes though.

Personally I just put the drinks in the outside pockets of my bag, they're almost perfectly sized for it and if they spill they spill - doesn't hurt the food, just remember to rinse the sugary shite off your bike ASAP.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phy posted:

Oh also:

I was looking for reviews for ANGI, and it did start out with a $29/year subscription, after the first year of activation... But then this happened

Mirabile fuckin dictu, a corporation abandoning the subscription model

I was working at a Specialized shop when angi came out and I put our rep on loving blast to his face for having a subscription for a safety feature they were so proud of. I assume there were a ton of people like me and a couple months later they dropped the subscription.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 14, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Upgraded from my Bell helmet to an RF-1200. The Bell would squeeze my temples and give me a headache 30 min into a ride. I think the Shoei is a better fit, but hard to tell because now 30 min into the ride and my jaw hurts like hell from being squeezed by the padding. How long of a breaking in period am I looking at here?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get their slimmer cheek padding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Put a cantaloupe inside the helmet while you're not using it to accelerate pad compression. Or get better fitted parts if available

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The all-new bike gear megathread - put a cantaloupe inside your helmet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

The all-new bike gear megathread - put a cantaloupe inside your helmet

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The all-new bike gear megathread - are your helmet CNT approved?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Plank Walker posted:

Upgraded from my Bell helmet to an RF-1200. The Bell would squeeze my temples and give me a headache 30 min into a ride. I think the Shoei is a better fit, but hard to tell because now 30 min into the ride and my jaw hurts like hell from being squeezed by the padding. How long of a breaking in period am I looking at here?

When I first got my RF1200 I had visible lines on my face from the padding, but it didn't hurt to wear it. It probably took about 10-20 hours to break in, but I agree that you should look into slimmer cheek pads.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Anyone want a VISIBLE rain jacket?
https://www.richa.eu/en/rain-flare-jacket

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Garments in that reflective colour have that unsettling quality as if they've been edited out of reality

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I ended up getting the HJC RPHA 90s helmet. The Shoei 1400 large didn't fit me super well, no mediums in stock and I felt like it woulda been small since the large was already cutting into my chin but loose everywhere else. They cut me a real nice deal on the helmet. The modular thing is interesting, wasn't originally looking for one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Shelvocke posted:

Garments in that reflective colour have that unsettling quality as if they've been edited out of reality

They do, it's great. Really attention grabbing effect.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there lockable soft luggage? It would just need to prevent being taken or opened without tools. I would not be worried about someone slicing it open.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Probably, but so long as it's got two zipper heads you can padlock em together, air luggage style. If they don't come with loops for that, you just run a keyring through each one and lock those together.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Probably, but so long as it's got two zipper heads you can padlock em together, air luggage style. If they don't come with loops for that, you just run a keyring through each one and lock those together.

You can break through any zipper like that with a ballpoint pen in a few seconds.

SEKCobra posted:

Is there lockable soft luggage? It would just need to prevent being taken or opened without tools. I would not be worried about someone slicing it open.

Not sure I understand this - if I can carry a pair of pliers or a prybar, I can carry a utility knife. Cutting into soft luggage would be faster and less conspicuous than trying to break a latch or lock on it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

You can break through any zipper like that with a ballpoint pen in a few seconds.

Not sure I understand this - if I can carry a pair of pliers or a prybar, I can carry a utility knife. Cutting into soft luggage would be faster and less conspicuous than trying to break a latch or lock on it.

Same as closing and locking your front door. You do it to stop casual/opportunistic theft, not to defeat someone who's intending to do a b&e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SEKCobra posted:

My soft saddlebags have loops on the zippers for a small travel-style padlock as mentioned.

Theoretically, it would be possible to lock the bags themselves to the bike, by running a small cable lock through a plastic d-ring on the luggage and the passenger peg holders or something. Those plastic parts would be so easy to break I doubt I would bother, but it's an option with my particular luggage at least.