Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Handsome Ralph posted:

They're so desperate for anything at this point to attack Biden with and they're hoping this sticks but it seems like the only people taking the bait are chuds as per usual. Too early to tell but I have my doubts this will be the one neat trick the GOP rolls out that actually lands.

It likely helps that there was no real shortage either and it was mostly manifested by idiots hoarding gasoline. We'll see soon enough.

That’s kinda the good side of the gop going full purestrain chud. There big stratagems dont really make gains outside the chud echo chamber. Like sure they may find stuff that hits in the future plus the months before mid terms. But this poo poo won’t help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MariannaReports/status/1392759516513685504

I'd say expel her but she'd probably just get re-elected. I don't know how you solve this problem, since the solution to this problem is "this kind of behavior is disqualifying for office". The whole point of her thing is to get this article written, she's not on any committees, she doesn't file any legislation, she just walks up to House Dems with a high national profile and starts screaming at them in public. And I bet her constituents love it.

This lunatic should be barred from the floor. Enough is enough.

Isn't she the wacko who tweeted out Pelosi's location during the coup? How is she not an immediate security risk?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Isn't she the wacko who tweeted out Pelosi's location during the coup? How is she not an immediate security risk?

That was the other nutjob, Lauren boebert; I don't know how they're not security risks either. The dems have to have inside knowledge that these people are really dangerous, but they're just allowed to carry on?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

No that was Boebert, but both have zero business being in a position of legislative power.

e;fb

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Republicans are all for free speech until you mention Donald Trump is a loser. Then they are all for cancel culture

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

No, that was Boebert, the one that owns the restaurant in Colorado that every wears guns and gets the shits.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I'd wager they're so dumb that they're easy to tag all sorts of monitoring equipment to and using that to nab other more lucrative fish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1392864476844679171

No...not a committee hearing!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

True, but Chipotle and Amazon doing the same will hopefully exert upward pressure on wages. If McDs did this at all it would pretty much force all the other fast food restaurants' hands wouldn't it?

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1392847175693049865

Jesus christ, we're about to see a wave of these aren't we

Hi, I work in Cybersecurity: This has been going on for a decade now. This is just the most visible one. Companies have literally collapsed from ransomware before.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Meatball posted:

That was the other nutjob, Lauren boebert; I don't know how they're not security risks either. The dems have to have inside knowledge that these people are really dangerous, but they're just allowed to carry on?

This isn't the first time Marjorie The Gathering has stepped up to AOC to try to start a fight, either.

EDIT: I know it's Newsweek, the zombie paper, and it's wrong, insofar as AOC didn't agree to debate the merits of the green new deal with anyone as far as I know, but it was such a minor story that it's now hard to find reportage of it now that there's a more prominent confrontation between them:

https://www.newsweek.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-looking-forward-debate-aoc-after-reading-communists-manifesto-1585675

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 13, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Hi, I work in Cybersecurity: This has been going on for a decade now. This is just the most visible one. Companies have literally collapsed from ransomware before.

Do you know where this ranks on "known ransoms paid" list

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Do you know where this ranks on "known ransoms paid" list

Its a big one to be sure, but I know of a couple that were up in the $20-$30 million dollar range. Depending on the attacker, they often scope the ransom compared to the size of the business.

When Maersk got Ransomwared, they had to break up as a company to survive.
https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

Its important to note that paying is NO GUARENTEE you get your data back, and you have to assume even if you get the data back that you are still compromised and you gotta rebuild from scratch. The difference is whether your data and apps are recoverable faster or not. The true cost may not be the ransom, its going to be the recovery period because you will have to pay an IR Team to pour over the recovered data to look for persistence, as well as your IT team and contractors to start standing everything back up.

Paying is not the end of the ransomware. Most ransomware teams leave backdoors and persistence mechanisms behind. They want you to be a repeat customer.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1392847175693049865

Jesus christ, we're about to see a wave of these aren't we

This attack utilized a RaaS 'Ransomware as a Service' to provide the actual ransomware component. There are hacker groups that sell their expertise and infrastructure to other groups for a share in the profit. So you've got dedicated full-time professional coders and engineers, highly motivated by money, constantly attacking high-value soft targets like healthcare and utilities, who pay the bare minimum for cybersecurity staff and products. It's honestly surprising we don't see more of this.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Depending on if the writers of the ransomware are put on a sanctions list, paying ransom can actually get you in trouble with the feds as a violation of the Trading With The Enemy Act. It's happened.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

CommieGIR posted:

my wife was doing work at Georgetown University Hospital five years ago when their entire health network that the hospital depends on to know "what drugs does person in room X get?" and everything else was taken over by ransomware. Likewise they ended up paying the hackers some significant fee. In that case the hackers demanded payment in crypto and I think there was some kerfuffle with Georgetown trying to figure out how they get some six or seven digit number in crypto.

https://fortune.com/2016/03/29/hackers-medstar-cyber-attack/

Canuckistan posted:

This attack utilized a RaaS 'Ransomware as a Service' to provide the actual ransomware component. There are hacker groups that sell their expertise and infrastructure to other groups for a share in the profit. So you've got dedicated full-time professional coders and engineers, highly motivated by money, constantly attacking high-value soft targets like healthcare and utilities, who pay the bare minimum for cybersecurity staff and products. It's honestly surprising we don't see more of this.

I remember reading about botnets-as-a-service that offered loving 24/7 live tech support a decade ago, and thinking, "24/7? Jesus, our service contract with AWS barely allows us to even loving email them, maybe we should use Botnet hosting :allears: "

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do these guys ever get caught?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Sometimes.

The vast majority of them are from Russia, China, or India and there is almost no enforcement (or active support) from the government if the crime is in another country.

India has taken some tiny baby steps against online scammers, but there are so many, the will to do anything about it so small, and the ease of starting a scam call center or releasing a piece of ransomware all mean it barely has any impact.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cabbages and Kings posted:

my wife was doing work at Georgetown University Hospital five years ago when their entire health network that the hospital depends on to know "what drugs does person in room X get?" and everything else was taken over by ransomware. Likewise they ended up paying the hackers some significant fee. In that case the hackers demanded payment in crypto and I think there was some kerfuffle with Georgetown trying to figure out how they get some six or seven digit number in crypto.

https://fortune.com/2016/03/29/hackers-medstar-cyber-attack/

Its important to note as well that even after a ransomware, most of these big companies will continue to view IT and Security as a cost center and refuse to implement most the major changes need to prevent this, to the point that many executives start to view ransomware as a cost of doing business.

Its part of the big issue Cybersecurity Insurance companies are having to deal with, and they are starting to basically say: "If you get ransomwared twice, and you failed to implement the security changes required, you don't get insurance payout."

zoux posted:

Sometimes? Most of these guys are operating out of countries that don't extradite and some even provide incentive for ransomware operators to live within their borders (Russia is a good example of course). Even RaaS (Ransomware as as Service) is basically a fly-by-night operation, working out of compromised servers that even when taken down they just move to new ones within hours, if not minutes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

zoux posted:

sometimes, but not often?

https://www.cyberscoop.com/russia-ransomware-arrest-nevada-fbi/

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/01/arrest-seizures-tied-to-netwalker-ransomware/

Note that in these cases they nabbed co-conspirators in the US in Canada. If you are just some person working in a hacking farm in Russia or China, I don't think you have very much to worry about from the US IC. Especially since in many cases those groups are operating with implicit state approval or explicit state support.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TulliusCicero posted:

Greene and Boebert aren't immediate security risks because it takes a 2/3 vote to expel a member :pseudo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cabbages and Kings posted:

sometimes, but not often?

https://www.cyberscoop.com/russia-ransomware-arrest-nevada-fbi/

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/01/arrest-seizures-tied-to-netwalker-ransomware/

Note that in these cases they nabbed co-conspirators in the US in Canada. If you are just some person working in a hacking farm in Russia or China, I don't think you have very much to worry about from the US IC. Especially since in many cases those groups are operating with implicit state approval or explicit state support.

My favorite example is not a ransomware operator but a carder that got nabbed because he decided to take a vacation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Chp12sEnWk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is it Infrastructure Week still? Seems bad.

https://twitter.com/cfishman/status/1392550255409909761

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah they shut down Mississippi River commerce because of it too

https://twitter.com/rslc/status/1392513039333838849

Do....do republicans think Great Britain is an absolute monarchy. And yes of course we'd cancel the loving British monarchy, that's the whole point of America, how are Loyalists back after 230 years

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 13, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

here comes the aid boat

CommieGIR posted:

When Maersk got Ransomwared, they had to break up as a company to survive.
https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

Most of the big container lines have been hit. It hasn’t all made the news. I know they’ve been targeting bulk carriers too via usb sticks. Flag states have been targeted too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Matt’s gonna be spending some time at club fed

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1392875745639387144?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am guessing the charges and indictment/arrest will probably be holiday season or early/mid next year.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's nice when the trash takes itself out.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FlamingLiberal posted:

My dumb state is actually not nearly close to the top of this list

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1392543691752017924?s=20
it's been like 4 days, what the gently caress.
maybe running the entire country on "just in time" mode to save money is a bad idea eh, what? love that we didn't learn this loving lesson the first time an entire year ago.
but remember: if YOU don't prepare you're just being lazy, if giant corporations can't plan for a single truck being delayed without the entire company being in danger that's normal and healthy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

grouchio, by Kali's center left, center right, and upper left nipples, i will start probating you if you ask questions about reassurance

this is not a general rule, this is a you-specific rule
Quick, non-reassurance question BTW:
With concerns towards Dem Turnout: 1. What would it take for us to maintain the house and gain a few senate seats?
2. How is the crystalization of the chud GOP faction supposed to increase chud turnout?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

it's been like 4 days, what the gently caress.
maybe running the entire country on "just in time" mode to save money is a bad idea eh, what? love that we didn't learn this loving lesson the first time an entire year ago.
but remember: if YOU don't prepare you're just being lazy, if giant corporations can't plan for a single truck being delayed without the entire company being in danger that's normal and healthy.

none of these shortages are actually caused by the pipeline. they're caused by every tom dick and harry panic-buying gas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do these creeps always look like they’re from the Black Hole Sun video?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grouchio posted:

2. How is the crystalization of the chud GOP faction supposed to increase chud turnout?

My own thoughts on this is that the chud turnout can't get much higher, which is a bad thing for the Republicans catering to these people. They are turning off people who would of considered voting for them if they would keep their racism quiet. But they are so over the top hateful that suburbanites can't really cast their lot with them. Chud turnout didn't help Trump win the election and in fact lost him the house in 2018.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The left is wringing its hands and worrying because that's what we do but if we saw the stuff happening in the Democratic party that's happening in the GOP right now it would be a full five-alarm panic and the media would be covering it as such.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FlamingLiberal posted:

My dumb state is actually not nearly close to the top of this list

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1392543691752017924?s=20

i had really hoped that the unwarranted panic over toilet paper and meat last year would have taught folks a lesson, but apparently people are going to do this poo poo every time

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why do these creeps always look like they’re from the Black Hole Sun video?

Black Hole Sun is 27 years old, so, the answer to "won't you come" is clearly no, since that's about twice the age range Matty is lookin for??

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah they shut down Mississippi River commerce because of it too

https://twitter.com/rslc/status/1392513039333838849

Do....do republicans think Great Britain is an absolute monarchy. And yes of course we'd cancel the loving British monarchy, that's the whole point of America, how are Loyalists back after 230 years

These clowns are loving cringe and embarrassing. We'd be a de jure White Christian ethnostate again by now if they weren't such Goddamn morons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

The left is wringing its hands and worrying because that's what we do but if we saw the stuff happening in the Democratic party that's happening in the GOP right now it would be a full five-alarm panic and the media would be covering it as such.

To add, it was palpable that the astro-turf tea party movement was going all in against Obama and that the media was going to cover it as a white working class movement. The media (to a degree) isn't taking the bait this time around AND the organization isn't there this time.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i had really hoped that the unwarranted panic over toilet paper and meat last year would have taught folks a lesson, but apparently people are going to do this poo poo every time

'If the data says nothing's wrong and there's plenty of supply then why am I worried and hoarding?? CHECK AND MATE.'

Callback to old Turdblossom's 'we make our own reality while you report on it' spiel during the Iraq War.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

No need to settle for hypotheticals, that's just Labour nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

My own thoughts on this is that the chud turnout can't get much higher, which is a bad thing for the Republicans catering to these people. They are turning off people who would of considered voting for them if they would keep their racism quiet. But they are so over the top hateful that suburbanites can't really cast their lot with them. Chud turnout didn't help Trump win the election and in fact lost him the house in 2018.

I have not been in the same suburbs as you... I see a lot of bandwagoning and basking in reflected glory in those folks. I’m sure there are vast regional differences but the suburbs around Texas cities seem to have a loooooot of blue lives matter, maga, and nra banners.