Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Might be because it starts at 1.353,74 €

https://www.classicshop.porsche.com...1164559000.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They do but they are horrifically expensive. A continental with a wiring harness is basically a drop in and looks factory with the back lighting. They support MP3s and Bluetooth so unless your purposely just trying to spend a ton of money that's the way I would go to.

If I keep my 996 I'll probably get one myself but otherwise I'm just living with the CDs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wasn’t there a Blauplukt one for like $500 as well? Can’t remember if that was anything but vapor ware.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

I spy a Bose logo on your door card, are you accounting for MOST fiber-optic fuckery?

televiper fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 13, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If it ends up being super shorty because of the nav and Bose stuff then I will just stick to CDs or the local radio playing the same 5 songs on loop.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah if it's hot that fibre optic poo poo show either live with it or you're doing a lot more work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh yeah if it's hot that fibre optic poo poo show either live with it or you're doing a lot more work.

It's really not that bad. The MOST adapter I'm running cost like $100. You want to set the volume to like 80% before you take out the old head unit and everything works fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was told it's a hot pile of burning garbage comparatively to retrofit - glad to know it's not that bad.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Diametunim posted:

Doesn't Porsche offer factory head units that support Apple Car Play / Android Auto for older model cars? Why not pick one of those up?

Yeah as people have mentioned, they’re like $1000. I was about to put one in to my 993 but then decided to do the Continental one first to see if I really missed having CarPlay. Turns out I’m fine just having Bluetooth in my weekend car. :shrug:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Bluetooth is fine, Car Play is nice but not vital if you have a phone mount. Got my clear side markers so that will take far longer than it should Saturday morning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I was told it's a hot pile of burning garbage comparatively to retrofit - glad to know it's not that bad.

I mean......there are several ways to retrofit it, but if what you want to do is replace the amp yeah, it's a trash fire - because there's no copper run to the amp, and then you also realize you're dealing with weird rear end 2 ohm bose speakers that need very specific crossovers, etc. Chucking a fiber to RCA analog adapter at it that is tapped into keyed power or your radio's powered antenna line is pretty much a no brainer.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

:lol: the only thing I've even used my burner for the past couple years was a couple of CDs for the 996.

I just busted out the CD wallet from highschool since it's about the right timing. Aerosmith CDs with the windows down baby

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Since it came with no instructions, the pink thing is a resistor for the canbus compatibility right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Its a resistor, most likely so your incandescent bulb out detection doesn't drive you insane.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Go to finally replace the water pump hose on the 996. Typical porsche shows supercede part #s from the original, so I order the newest revision.

Although, of course it doesn't fit. I need to also replace a hard pipe which connects to the weirdo 3-way hose. :sigh:

Because, Porsche.

I''ve got have a mind to take my tube cutter to the pipe and see if I can make it work with the new hose. I mean, if I otherwise need to buy a new hard pipe I might as well try it right? Nothing to lose?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Go to finally replace the water pump hose on the 996. Typical porsche shows supercede part #s from the original, so I order the newest revision.

Although, of course it doesn't fit. I need to also replace a hard pipe which connects to the weirdo 3-way hose. :sigh:

Because, Porsche.

I''ve got have a mind to take my tube cutter to the pipe and see if I can make it work with the new hose. I mean, if I otherwise need to buy a new hard pipe I might as well try it right? Nothing to lose?

Piece of advice for owning a Euro car - NEVER buy UROparts. They often don't fit (as you found out), and they are generally terrible quality.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Really? Good to know. I bought something else Uro and it seemed decent enough, but I'll keep it in mind. This hose in particular actually looked better than the OEM as it had a brass nipple instead of a plastic one (other end of hose not in frame).

e: I think the hose actually is the proper fit for what it is - it's the pipe which is now the problem. A new OEM hose would have the same problem :(

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What he said. URO is uber garbage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thirding Uro is mostly garbage. You might get one good part to fool you, but most of it is just ill-fitting poorly made poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Porsche is refunding the $2k we spent repairing our Macan's airbag sensor because it ended up a recall. :toot:

Actually, that makes me wonder: I wonder how many airbag sensors have to go bad before they get recalled?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The number doesn't matter, it whether they can get Bosch to pay for it or not.

Just Bosch things.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Residency Evil posted:

Porsche is refunding the $2k we spent repairing our Macan's airbag sensor because it ended up a recall. :toot:

Actually, that makes me wonder: I wonder how many airbag sensors have to go bad before they get recalled?
Do you know which Macans are under the recall?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

Do you know which Macans are under the recall?

Based on the letter we got in the mail: "Certain 2015-2018 MY Macan Vehicles. Front Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat. Porsche Recall: AMA2"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, thanks. Some friends here got a 2020 a few months ago, just curious if it was affected.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My friend's brother has my ~dream car~ Cayman on his car lot. 2014, base engine, manual, sport chrono. If only I had 40k to blow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

The number doesn't matter, it whether they can get Bosch to pay for it or not.

Just Bosch things.

I’m just kind of curious, and imagine the number of failures for an airbag system might be kind of low before a recall.

Like, could it be one? :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

With airbag stuff after Takata I expect one is enough.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Clear LED side markers in.

Definitely an improvement.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Well it's been a while and the market has really gotten away from my original target price range, but this car has popped up ~2 hours from me and I think I will go check it out on Friday. It's a 1999 with ~65k miles on it and the seller wants $22k. Flaws include a couple dime and quarter sized paint flaws, tires nearing replacement, and the seat belt light being on due to a bad latch. The carfax has damage reported on the front but it still has a clean title. I suspect the options sticker is missing as a result. IMS done with LN. Thoughts? Pic album below.

https://imgur.com/a/DCktXCj

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

Well it's been a while and the market has really gotten away from my original target price range, but this car has popped up ~2 hours from me and I think I will go check it out on Friday. It's a 1999 with ~65k miles on it and the seller wants $22k. Flaws include a couple dime and quarter sized paint flaws, tires nearing replacement, and the seat belt light being on due to a bad latch. The carfax has damage reported on the front but it still has a clean title. I suspect the options sticker is missing as a result. IMS done with LN. Thoughts? Pic album below.

That's a number of concessions. At the least -- get a paint thickness gauge and check every bit of the front end to make sure there's no surprises.

Edit: I used a paint thickness gauge last week when dad got a Lexus RC350 from a dealer. 3-5mil thickness everywhere except the front fenders and hood, which read 11 mils. And the front fenders and hood had PPF, so that matched exactly what it should be for a never-touched car. New car paint is so thin that it's pretty easy to spot the extent of respray.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 18, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

Fwiw I like it, and it's rare to find one with the spare (I believe that's like $800 by itself). If you get a good explanation for what was fixed on the front + good service records I wouldn't hesitate

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I don't think he has any records beyond what I uploaded in that imgur album. When asked about the front repair/options sticker, the seller said, "I was told when I bought it they painted the front in because of stone chips. But can’t confirm. "

edit: here is the car fax https://imgur.com/a/V2zTOSF

Nothing beyond damage to front in 2004...

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 18, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The fact it has damage on the carfax says to me that it at least went to insurance as a fair assumption. If it happened 3/4 owners ago then sure then current owner was told it was for stone chips but who knows if that is true or a previous owner made that up and it just came along for the ride as it was sold.

If the front alignment is good, it drives straight and there is nothing you can see it is worth a punt. Of course if you can get it inspected that is always the best thing to do and if he is iffy about letting you do that then you know the front is not right or it is hiding something else the seller knows about.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

I don't think he has any records beyond what I uploaded in that imgur album. When asked about the front repair/options sticker, the seller said, "I was told when I bought it they painted the front in because of stone chips. But can’t confirm. "

edit: here is the car fax https://imgur.com/a/V2zTOSF

Nothing beyond damage to front in 2004...

That carfax looks pretty good.

Plusses: The first owner kept it for about 2 years / 4k miles after the damage inspection.
Lots of records that establish a regular service interval over several owners.
Low mileage with a record of major service.

I like the looks of that more than before.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

gently caress I kinda like the ambers, especially on the rear on this one...
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/porsche-911-carrera-all-original/7322929218.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I love how no one ever uses a front facing photo of a 996 as the highlight/initial photo.

(sorry slidebite, but I've got 'em on my work truck too)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Clear LED side markers in.

Definitely an improvement.

the reflection makes it look like you're wearing high-heeled flipflops

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Maybe I am? :shehuck:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Maybe I am? :shehuck:

By the way, I need to circle back around and say I love that car. You done good.

Color could be better, but eh, same resale silver I've got so I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

gently caress I kinda like the ambers, especially on the rear on this one...
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/porsche-911-carrera-all-original/7322929218.html

I don't know if the staggered wheel sizes will look weird IRL but it's nice to have one that's been taken care of by an enthusiast